Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

indyfabz 08-16-21 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22186269)
I've never been . . . to Oregon.

You are missing much. Great place to ride.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22186305)
I once started plotting a bikepacking route that followed the Oregon Trail as closely as possible on dirt roads, starting from Independence, MO. I used Google satellite images and county maps from various state DOTs as well as historical maps I could find as much as possible. I think I managed to plot a decent route all the way into Wyoming before I lost interest and gave up. I probably still have the routes saved on RidewithGPS..

wut

Isn't the route known? And if it has somehow been lost to history, are you going to find it from low resolution satellite images?

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 08:35 AM

Pretty sure he's gonna look for wild horses atop White Mountain, not Pilot Butte. I think it would take rock climbing gear to get up on Pilot Butte. We shall see...

oh, I guess it only takes a little bit of scrambling to get up there. I'd still be surprised if he goes up it.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...19890efa08.jpg

indyfabz 08-16-21 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22186305)
I once started plotting a bikepacking route that followed the Oregon Trail as closely as possible on dirt roads, starting from Independence, MO.

One the second day of the 2002 edition of Cycle Oregon we saw a short section original ruts from the trail. IIRC, it they were along U.S. 26 at/around El Dorado Pass. I believe much of the route in that area of OR was paved over to make U.S. 26.

What a year that was. 15th anniversary so they planned something "special": A Bataan Death March across the state from Nyssa on the border with ID to the coast at Florence. Six days of riding with one rest day after day 4. I did the optional 117 mile route on day 3. (Someone doing the shorter route that day died of a heart attack on the long slog up U.S. 26 on the way to Mitchell. I heard it took a while before his body could be removed, so riders were forced to ride by him.) When it was all over I had averaged around 93 miles/day. Having never been to OR, I had no idea how hot it can get in some areas east of the Cascades. They day we rolled into Sisters for the rest day on 9/11 it was around 100 degrees. But it's a dry heat at least.

CO has never repeated that route, and I don't think they ever will.

seedsbelize 08-16-21 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22186246)
How did he get there?

seedsbelize 08-16-21 08:41 AM

I've never been on the Oregon Trail . . . or to Oregon.

I've been on it in SE Ohio. The ruts are clearly visible.
And I've been to Oregon. But only passing through. East to West, and North to South.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22186372)
I've been on it in SE Ohio. The ruts are clearly visible.

No.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...39049164a9.jpg

Velo Vol 08-16-21 09:16 AM

DougRNS to return to the Silver Comet tomorrow?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...74888eb63b.png

indyfabz 08-16-21 09:20 AM

Happy National Tell a Joke Day.

What's brown and sounds like a bell?

phrantic09 08-16-21 09:25 AM

I survived the gravel event yesterday (barely). It was much more fun than I anticipated, there were a couple of really technical single track sections that were extremely difficult to get through upright (one I didn’t). There was deep mud, big rocks and all sorts of other perils.

Somehow, my NDS pedal body spun off during one of those sections and I did not notice until further down the trail. I had to walk back up it and grab the body. I was able to get it back on, but had to ride the remainder without power or cadence.

Also had my sunglasses get jarred out of my back pocket in another wooded section. I didn’t realize they were gone until about 5 miles down the road.

I took it easy, my buddy was struggling and I didn’t want to hang him out there alone and it was an awesome time. My favorite part was the third section of single track where we had to climb a 15% grade fire tower path. Total distance was 66 miles w/ 6k climbing.

Couple of pics- that’s my buddy in front
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1f3fb4c2.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f8d34fe9.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ae24cbb0b.jpeg

genejockey 08-16-21 09:27 AM

I've never been on the Oregon Trail . . . or to Oregon.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e90cca3edf.jpg

Jack Tone 08-16-21 09:32 AM

I came back from Oregon to California a few weeks ago. As soon as we crossed the border to Ca., on the next freeway exit, with nothing else around, was a liquor store with a LOT of people there. Turns out the tax in Oregon is pretty high.

phrantic09 08-16-21 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22186452)

Every time

Velo Vol 08-16-21 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22186450)

DougRNS 08-16-21 10:05 AM

I've never been to Oregon or Spain.
Have no desire to go to either location.

Sorry @datlas I won't be visiting you in your retirement years. You might look at that as a good thing.

Note: No improvement in health status.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22186536)
Have no desire to go to either location.

Where do you want to go? Knox County, TN?

DougRNS 08-16-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22186541)
Where do you want to go? Knox County, TN?

that's pretty low on my desired destinations.
Cobb County Georgia is quite nice. Lots of traffic but still nice.

big john 08-16-21 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22186366)
One the second day of the 2002 edition of Cycle Oregon we saw a short section original ruts from the trail. IIRC, it they were along U.S. 26 at/around El Dorado Pass. I believe much of the route in that area of OR was paved over to make U.S. 26.

What a year that was. 15th anniversary so they planned something "special": A Bataan Death March across the state from Nyssa on the border with ID to the coast at Florence. Six days of riding with one rest day after day 4. I did the optional 117 mile route on day 3. (Someone doing the shorter route that day died of a heart attack on the long slog up U.S. 26 on the way to Mitchell. I heard it took a while before his body could be removed, so riders were forced to ride by him.) When it was all over I had averaged around 93 miles/day. Having never been to OR, I had no idea how hot it can get in some areas east of the Cascades. They day we rolled into Sisters for the rest day on 9/11 it was around 100 degrees. But it's a dry heat at least.

CO has never repeated that route, and I don't think they ever will.

In 1990 4 of us rode across the country starting in Florence. It was so nice and cool until we got east of the Cascades, then it was well over 100 for weeks. We would look at the weather reports in our motel at night and we were at the center of the heat wave as it moved east. In eastern Oregon I mailed my cold weather clothes home. We used bottles of sunscreen. We also discovered some small towns east of the Rockies have terrible water. I think it was Eads, Colorado where my friend described the water as "ghastly". No bottled water to be found and facing dehydration, I ordered a large lemonade from a fast food place and it tasted like the water.

After that I even strapped gallons of water on my rear rack on days we knew there wouldn't be water stops on the route.

big john 08-16-21 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22186450)
I survived the gravel event yesterday (barely). It was much more fun than I anticipated, there were a couple of really technical single track sections that were extremely difficult to get through upright (one I didn’t). There was deep mud, big rocks and all sorts of other perils.

Somehow, my NDS pedal body spun off during one of those sections and I did not notice until further down the trail. I had to walk back up it and grab the body. I was able to get it back on, but had to ride the remainder without power or cadence.

Also had my sunglasses get jarred out of my back pocket in another wooded section. I didn’t realize they were gone until about 5 miles down the road.

I took it easy, my buddy was struggling and I didn’t want to hang him out there alone and it was an awesome time. My favorite part was the third section of single track where we had to climb a 15% grade fire tower path. Total distance was 66 miles w/ 6k climbing.

Couple of pics- that’s my buddy in front

Sounds awesome! Did they have good support on the route?

seedsbelize 08-16-21 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22186579)
In 1990 4 of us rode across the country starting in Florence. It was so nice and cool until we got east of the Cascades, then it was well over 100 for weeks. We would look at the weather reports in our motel at night and we were at the center of the heat wave as it moved east. In eastern Oregon I mailed my cold weather clothes home. We used bottles of sunscreen. We also discovered some small towns east of the Rockies have terrible water. I think it was Eads, Colorado where my friend described the water as "ghastly". No bottled water to be found and facing dehydration, I ordered a large lemonade from a fast food place and it tasted like the water.

After that I even strapped gallons of water on my rear rack on days we knew there wouldn't be water stops on the route.

My very first attempt at coffee was in a town whose water was affected by the paper plant. I tried everything. And then discovered I couldn't drink the water either.

phrantic09 08-16-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22186502)

What's not to like

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22186586)
Sounds awesome! Did they have good support on the route?

They had great support, 5-6 Sag vehicles, shop support and 3 well stocked aid stations. It ended up getting pretty hot, I went through 10 bottles of water.

big john 08-16-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22186656)
What's not to like

You must be new here.

genejockey 08-16-21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22186613)
My very first attempt at coffee was in a town whose water was affected by the paper plant. I tried everything. And then discovered I couldn't drink the water either.

I had never experienced bad tapwater until one time when my folks were visiting and they, Mrs. GeneJockey, and I went up to Sonoma County and stayed in a B&B there. Can't remember the town's name, but the tap water was sulfurous. When we got to the hotel, Mrs. GeneJockey was first to the bathroom, and I followed. I remember thinking, "Poor gal! She must be having gastorintestinal issues!", but it was just the sulfurous water.

Mojo31 08-16-21 11:36 AM

In for a trip to Spain to sponge off of Datlas for a few days.

Don't care about Oregon, although the other left coast states are great to visit.

big john 08-16-21 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22186695)
I had never experienced bad tapwater until one time when my folks were visiting and they, Mrs. GeneJockey, and I went up to Sonoma County and stayed in a B&B there. Can't remember the town's name, but the tap water was sulfurous. When we got to the hotel, Mrs. GeneJockey was first to the bathroom, and I followed. I remember thinking, "Poor gal! She must be having gastorintestinal issues!", but it was just the sulfurous water.

I don't know what was wrong with the water in Eads but it was beyond sulfurous. It was undrinkable.