Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Mojo31 11-04-21 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22295644)
Bike racing.

I was insinuating that I don't think I've ever crushed a soul on a bike.

big john 11-04-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22295647)
I was insinuating that I don't think I've ever crushed a soul on a bike.

When you do it as seldom as I do you must make a big fuss about it.

genejockey 11-04-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22295619)
But what's more fun than crushing souls? :foo:

Even if the only soul crushed is your own.

Mojo31 11-04-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22295654)
When you do it as seldom as I do you must make a big fuss about it.

I guess I could try to crush my wife's soul next time we're out.

Might backfire on me though.

big john 11-04-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22295667)

Yeah that might backfire.

genejockey 11-04-21 11:06 AM

One of the things about riding where there's a lot of cyclists including world class ones is that you don't ever expect to be anything but an Also Ran. I will NEVER come close to getting KOMs on anything around here unless it's my own driveway, and even then some one would probably come a long and snipe it. So I pay very little attention to them, especially when I realized Strava doesn't know if your bike is on the road, or on the roof of your car! So the Zwift KOMs? Who cares? I'll never see one.

I can attest that Zpower, Zwift's power estimate based on dumb trainer, speed sensor, and cadence sensor, is horsehockey. According to a ramp test with a dumb trainer and Zpower, my FTP was 320W. When I got the Kick'r Snap, I redid the ramp test and got 256. That still seems high when I'm trying to finish a structured workout, but it's a hell of a lot more realistic than 320!

Speaking of realistic, I learned that GCN's Dan Lloyd had accidentally height doped when he was doing Zwift Academy, not that it makes any difference since it's not really a competition. So, I'm no longer the only person I know of who turned himself into a fat hobbit by accident.

genejockey 11-04-21 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22295619)
But what's more fun than crushing souls? :foo:

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"To crahsh de enemy, see him driffen before you, und hear de lamentations uf de vimmen!"

datlas 11-04-21 11:38 AM

Don't do it. Do NOT scratch that itch. No.

Eric F 11-04-21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22295661)
Even if the only soul crushed is your own.

This happens way more often than I'm comfortable with.

BillyD 11-04-21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22295574)
I enjoy everything in moderation. Including moderation.

Hear, hear!

Eric F 11-04-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mojo31 (Post 22295667)
i guess i could try to crush my wife's soul next time we're out.

might backfire on me though. I love sleeping on the couch.

fify

ls01 11-04-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22294761)
78.3% of data facts posted on the internet are made up by the poster.

Quality

ls01 11-04-21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22294788)
I'm just flying in one evening, and taking the depo the next day with a flight back after I'm done. Quick in and out.

They'll barely know I'm there.

God help me if I hear banjos.

Reported, family ( not that kind) forum

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 12:14 PM

I failed to mention that on my ride yesterday I was successfully run off the road once, and the second was a near miss. His timing was off and I didn't realize what was what until it was over. He pulled out into my lane to pass. It was the horn honk that drew my attention to the maneuver.
Must be a mid day thing.

datlas 11-04-21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22295785)
I failed to mention that on my ride yesterday I was successfully run off the road once, and the second was a near miss. His timing was off and I didn't realize what was what until it was over. He pulled out into my lane to pass. It was the horn honk that drew my attention to the maneuver.
Must be a mid day thing.

I know you are old school, but consider a Garmin Varia radar.

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22295503)
My view is that sugar, starch - carbs generally - are fuel. Just fuel. If you're burning energy, you need fuel. If not, you don't. Fat is also fuel, but slower burning - though more energetic per gram. Important to remember that your brain only runs on glucose - part of why one feels so stupid when bonking.

Bonking was a regular ting for me half a dozen years ago. Back when I actually got some mileage in. What I discovered, toward the end of it was that the missing element was salt.

Mojo31 11-04-21 12:24 PM

Might backfire on me though. I love sleeping on the couch. I love sleeping in the car.

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22295779)
fify

More accurately.

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22295790)
I know you are old school, but consider a Garmin Varia radar.

Both cases they were approaching from the front. In the first case, we were on a very narrow road, me and a large truck. He took no evasive action, not even slowing down. And there was no place for me to pull off under control.

datlas 11-04-21 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22295810)
Both cases they were approaching from the front. In the first case, we were on a very narrow road, me and a large truck. He took no evasive action, not even slowing down. And there was no place for me to pull off under control.

Aha. The varia is great, but not going to help with head-on issues. Sounds scary.

indyfabz 11-04-21 12:39 PM

An evildoer left a bunch of cookies in the kitchen of my NJ office.

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22295821)
Aha. The varia is great, but not going to help with head-on issues. Sounds scary.

I was mare angry than scared. I have this deathwish thing, when on a bike. I'm fearless. It's a thing here to challenge other road users by drifting over the centerline and see if they move over. Machismo. When I see that, especially when i have my blindingly bright headlight on, I drift toward the center, instead of away. The biggest offenders are those driving the company truck, a dump or materials truck, or the electric company. When we lived in Merida, I challenged the city buses, and raced them, light to light. I wouldn't survive long in real traffic like you guys ride in. Prolly.

Velo Vol 11-04-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22295848)
I wouldn't survive long in real traffic like you guys ride in. Prolly.

Nope.

BillyD 11-04-21 12:58 PM

So for lunch today I had half a hero, an Italian combo, my favorite. I hadn't had one of these Shoprite heroes in a good while because they have a history of being skimpy with the meat, but when I picked this up today I could tell this one was on the money.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8e449cf8.jpeg

Mind you, I only had half the hero, these are the numbers for the whole thing. :eek:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dfd1c4803.jpeg

Can you imagine eating like that mostly every day? Even if you burned the cals off exercising or working, the sodium content alone is enough to kill you before a year is out. Yikes! And let's not forget the 4 or more tablespoons of mayonnaise I used, providing an additional 240 calories.

No, I don't want to gain weight that bad. But on the plus side there's no added sugars in a sammich. :thumb:

LAJ 11-04-21 01:04 PM

Have a little saturated fat with your sammich! That bad boy would be busted down to at least thirds, and be my lunch sammich for three or four days. Raw veggies, fruits, and admittedly, too many nuts, make up the rest of it.

datlas 11-04-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22295848)
I was mare angry than scared. I have this deathwish thing, when on a bike. I'm fearless. It's a thing here to challenge other road users by drifting over the centerline and see if they move over. Machismo. When I see that, especially when i have my blindingly bright headlight on, I drift toward the center, instead of away. The biggest offenders are those driving the company truck, a dump or materials truck, or the electric company. When we lived in Merida, I challenged the city buses, and raced them, light to light. I wouldn't survive long in real traffic like you guys ride in. Prolly.

Playing chicken with automobiles while riding a bike? That sounds bat**** crazy.