Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

LesterOfPuppets 02-14-22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22409737)
My daughter and I are starting to dabble in some basic woodworking, and are currently building out our workspace in half of our 2-car garage (the other half is bikes and music gear). I have a compact router currently on the way to me that will be mounted under a piece of 3/4" ply that can be dropped into my portable table saw table. I might need a bigger in the future, but for now this should be useful for simple stuff.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, THAT kinda router.

I was thinking
https://www.linksys.com/images/produ...1000.1000.jpeg

genejockey 02-14-22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22409737)
My daughter and I are starting to dabble in some basic woodworking, and are currently building out our workspace in half of our 2-car garage (the other half is bikes and music gear). I have a compact router currently on the way to me that will be mounted under a piece of 3/4" ply that can be dropped into my portable table saw table. I might need a bigger in the future, but for now this should be useful for simple stuff.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, I was building selfbows - that's a bow made from either a single stave, or joined billets. I did it all with hand tools, though many more affluent selfbowyers use bandsaws for reducing the stave to shape.

Mrs. GeneJockey thought this woodworking experience should make it a snap for me to make cabinets for the kitchen.

WhyFi 02-14-22 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409735)
I was wondering why you'd need so many routers, unless you live in a really BIG house with a lot of steel-reinforced concrete walls....

A Faraday cage for every room!

rjones28 02-14-22 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409649)
Oh. I just picked up my fourth router. Do I need to find an Addiction thread on routerforums.net? :o

I did buy the new one with the intent of it replacing an existing... but now that I think about it, it's sometimes useful to have two set up at the same time... :innocent:

Are routers like bikes?

rjones28 02-14-22 05:35 PM

Speaking of electronics, I'm thinking of adding a bluetooth receiver/transmitter to my 35-year-old stereo. I'll be sure to check back with the group, to see if I got the right equipment, after I purchase it. :)

LesterOfPuppets 02-14-22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409744)
Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, I was building selfbows - that's a bow made from either a single stave, or joined billets. I did it all with hand tools, though many more affluent selfbowyers use bandsaws for reducing the stave to shape.

Mrs. GeneJockey thought this woodworking experience should make it a snap for me to make cabinets for the kitchen.

Hopefully you don't have 4 routers, otherwise, you should be slapping new cabinets up annually :)

MoAlpha 02-14-22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22409754)
Speaking of electronics, I'm thinking of adding a bluetooth receiver/transmitter to my 35-year-old stereo. I'll be sure to check back with the group, to see if I got the right equipment, after I purchase it. :)

I think WiFi DACs are higher Fi if your source can do it.

seedsbelize2 02-14-22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409421)
When I was picking up the Litespeed on Saturday, I talked with the LBS owner about wheelbuilding. I mentioned my hesitation because of the expense of the proper tools and all. He said I should go ahead and build them up, do as good a job as I could and then bring them in and he'd check/adjust the spoke tension and trueness. I suspect some of that depends on sourcing parts from him, which is eminently reasonable.

There's not much to it once the lacing is done correctly. Of course experience helps a lot, and he has plenty of that.

genejockey 02-14-22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22409748)
Are routers like bikes?

Strongly suggest you don't try to ride one.

Velo Vol 02-14-22 05:42 PM

Why not pre-approval?

genejockey 02-14-22 05:45 PM

I got one of those clickbait-y WebMD emails - "How to have the best sex of your life!", so I have to share this joke:

A middle aged housewife sees an article in Cosmo - "How to supercharge your sex life!" She reads it, and prepares things for when her husband comes home from work.

She greets him at the door, and asks, "Would you like to have Super Sex?"

And he answers, "What kind of soup?"

(We refer to this joke so often in my family that The Younger Boy now crosses his arms across his chest a la Black Panther and says, "Wakanda Soup?")

WhyFi 02-14-22 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22409757)
I think WiFi DACs are higher Fi if your source can do it.

I haven't looked in to it too much, but apparently to BT codecs and DACs have made huge strides in the last few years.

seedsbelize2 02-14-22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22409446)
Incel take.

Of course, you couldn't pay me to watch a SB half time show.

I feel the same about SB halftime shows. This one was good. Simple. Just the performers, without all that light show glitz and special effects.
The game itself was above average as well.

WhyFi 02-14-22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22409762)
Why not pre-approval?

It's not the BF way.

seedsbelize2 02-14-22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409473)
That's weird. Previous page shows that there are TWO pages I was locked out of. But really there is only one, along with apparently a "phantom" page.

I've been locked out of two.

MoAlpha 02-14-22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409771)
I haven't looked in to it too much, but apparently to BT codecs and DACs have made huge strides in the last few years.

I think all the fancy ones do everything anyway.

Mojo31 02-14-22 05:59 PM

What are you wanting it to do?

I'd like to get a CD ripper/player to store and play my CDs. Right now, they sit in boxes in storage.

seedsbelize2 02-14-22 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409520)
Oh, 'been there. I've had to do quite a bit of apologizing when joining group rides after thousands of miles of solo riding. Sometimes it's pace, sometimes it's line, sometimes it's neglecting to call out a hazard, etc.

I refuse to call out hazards. That's what I hate about group rides. The cacaphony of calling out hazards, car back, hold your line, and on and on.

rjones28 02-14-22 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409759)
Strongly suggest you don't try to ride one.

Ok, good to know.

rjones28 02-14-22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22409762)
Why not pre-approval?

You must be new here.

datlas 02-14-22 06:04 PM

Don’t forget to ask if you got a good deal.

datlas 02-14-22 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22409788)
You must be obtuse here.

fixed

WhyFi 02-14-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22409785)
I refuse to call out hazards. That's what I hate about group rides. The cacaphony of calling out hazards, car back, hold your line, and on and on.

Some groups are really obnoxious with that, but we mostly just point. We'll occasionally call out a car back if we're fanned out.

rjones28 02-14-22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22409783)
What are you wanting it to do?

I'd like to get a CD ripper/player to store and play my CDs. Right now, they sit in boxes in storage.

Receive audio from phones and such. Plus, send audio from the system components out to things like bluetooth speakers/headphones.

This keeps popping up: B03 Bluetooth Transmitter & Receiver | 1mii.shop

rjones28 02-14-22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409793)
Don’t forget to ask if you got a good deal.

Naturally, I want to get the best-bang-for-the-buck.