Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Velo Vol 02-21-22 11:18 AM

Earth hates me :(

Mojo31 02-21-22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22416609)
Earth hates me :(

You'll know it hates you when it opens up and swallows you.

Eric F 02-21-22 11:38 AM

Despite not riding very much recently, I felt surprisingly good on the Sunday morning group ride I tend to do. It's not a very demanding or competitive ride, generally speaking, but there are some sections in the last half of the loop where the stronger guys will get a little spicy, including the final climb to the finish. I was very pleased to not get spit out the back, and actually stay on the wheels of some decent riders.

genejockey 02-21-22 11:39 AM

I read an interesting thing about earthquakes Back East - apparently the waves go considerably farther without attenuation than they do out here, which is why the New Madrid quake could ring bells in Boston. A 2.4 out here, basically you'd feel if you were standing over it.

Eric F 02-21-22 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22416422)
Mrs. John was reading yesterday that lots of people are complaining about the NYT version being "too hard".

Wordle 247 4/6

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I haven't really noticed a significant change in difficulty.

Velo Vol 02-21-22 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22416632)
You'll know it hates you when it opens up and swallows you.

Can't reveal my undisclosed location, but the indicated spot is like a couple miles away. I didn't notice it though. :foo:

Eric F 02-21-22 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22416644)
I read an interesting thing about earthquakes Back East - apparently the waves go considerably farther without attenuation than they do out here, which is why the New Madrid quake could ring bells in Boston. A 2.4 out here, basically you'd feel if you were standing over it.

2.4 in CA is pretty much a non-event.

Mojo31 02-21-22 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22416653)
2.4 in CA is pretty much a non-event.

Same is true pretty much anywhere.

genejockey 02-21-22 11:55 AM

The Younger Boy's new gaming rig is done, so he gave me his old one. It only needed a drive and a WiFi/Bluetooth card. Oh, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I plugged it into the TV in my Pain Cave, and fired up Zwift - but didn't ride since I'd already done 54 miles yesterday. I have a shadow!!!! Everything loads WAY faster! With the Ancient Laptop, I'd wake it up, then go do something for a few minutes. Come back and enter my PIN to log in, and then go do something for a few minutes. Then I'd click on the icon for Zwift, then go do something for a few minutes. Then I'd choose a world, and click "Ride", then go do something for a few minutes. Literally at least 10 minutes. And if there was an upgrade? Cripes. Once it ended up taking half an hour. With an SSD, this thing takes only about 20 seconds to load Watopia. Maybe less. I'll have to time it. I'mma ride it later today.

Yeah, I know it's a silly waste of computing. But it was cheap.

Speaking of Zwift, they've apparently reviewed my last two months of data and decided I'm a 'C'. No more podium spots in 'D' for me! I guess I'm no longer King of the Dips**ts.

Mojo31 02-21-22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22416649)
Can't reveal my undisclosed location, but the indicated spot is like a couple miles away. I didn't notice it though. :foo:

You ain't that hard to find.

Champaign colored senior Honda with a roof rack; split level house with the drive and garage on the right side as you face the place; flower bed with a small tree between the sidewalk and street; chimney above the garage roof; might look something like this:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a973d2fa41.png

If I can find you, imagine what Mother Earth can do.

Mojo31 02-21-22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22416664)
The Younger Boy's new gaming rig is done, so he gave me his old one. It only needed a drive and a WiFi/Bluetooth card. Oh, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I plugged it into the TV in my Pain Cave, and fired up Zwift - but didn't ride since I'd already done 54 miles yesterday. I have a shadow!!!! Everything loads WAY faster! With the Ancient Laptop, I'd wake it up, then go do something for a few minutes. Come back and enter my PIN to log in, and then go do something for a few minutes. Then I'd click on the icon for Zwift, then go do something for a few minutes. Then I'd choose a world, and click "Ride", then go do something for a few minutes. Literally at least 10 minutes. And if there was an upgrade? Cripes. Once it ended up taking half an hour. With an SSD, this thing takes only about 20 seconds to load Watopia. Maybe less. I'll have to time it. I'mma ride it later today.

Yeah, I know it's a silly waste of computing. But it was cheap.

Speaking of Zwift, they've apparently reviewed my last two months of data and decided I'm a 'C'. No more podium spots in 'D' for me! I guess I'm no longer King of the Dips**ts.

Next thing you know, you'll be mining cryto.

genejockey 02-21-22 11:59 AM

I remember the first earthquake I experienced in CA. I was sitting in the office next to our lab at Genentech, reading a sequencing gel autorad, when things started moving. I sat back and looked around. The other guy in the office - native Californian, BARELY looked up from the gel he was reading, and said, with utter nonchalance, "Yeah. That was an earthquake.", and went back to reading his gel.

genejockey 02-21-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22416670)
Next thing you know, you'll be mining cryto.

Yeah! Maybe I'll put my 401k into crypto! What's the worst that could happen? :rolleyes:

Mojo31 02-21-22 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22416675)
Yeah! Maybe I'll put my 401k into crypto! What's the worst that could happen? :rolleyes:

You haven't done that yet?

indyfabz 02-21-22 12:08 PM

People were mentioning B&W baby photos last week. Here is whatr I believe is the first photo of me. I am still a big baby.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f111c80ddf.jpg

genejockey 02-21-22 12:13 PM

I think this is the first picture of me. Even so, they had to include my nearest older sister. God only knows what she was doing to me.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d295796e6.jpg

seedsbelize2 02-21-22 12:32 PM

The Paramount already had the gatorskins on it so I decided to just ride that one, instead of the Ironman. The headset was loose. I realized I never set it back up properly after the repaint. Got that taken care of and the chain and cassette wouldn't play nice. After too long a time I finally remembered I put a new chain on it. So, rather than spend the morning wrenching instead of riding, I put the Paramount's back wheel on the Ironman and set off, for 27km. A little long for my current fitness level. On my way back across town I stopped into my Tixkokob lbs to see what they had in the way of cassettes. They had only freewheels. The girl behind the counter, the owner's daughter, doesn't know what a cassette is.
​​​​​​Sorry for all the bike content; it's all I have.
​​​

seedsbelize2 02-21-22 12:42 PM

Mrs. John was reading yesterday that lots of people are complaining about the NYT version being "too hard".

Wordle 247 4/6

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Speaking of the NYT, I attempted to unsubscribe from receiving daily emails from them. Of course the unsubscribe button didn't work. Sent an email. They want me to call them. On the ******g phone. To cancel a daily email. There was a chat option, but apparently with no one available. I'm spamming them daily now and hopefully one day they will stop coming

Mojo31 02-21-22 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22416733)
Speaking of the NYT, I attempted to unsubscribe from receiving daily emails from them. Of course the unsubscribe button didn't work. Sent an email. They want me to call them. On the ******g phone. To cancel a daily email. There was a chat option, but apparently with no one available. I'm spamming them daily now and hopefully one day they will stop coming

You do know that those emails you are sending go into an inbox named "a-holes" and gets purged daily without any being opened, don't you?

genejockey 02-21-22 12:46 PM

Wordle 247 4/6

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

As luck would have it, I was just reading a twitter thread about Wordle difficulty and confirmation bias....

seedsbelize2 02-21-22 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22416738)
You do know that those emails you are sending go into an inbox named "a-holes" and gets purged daily without any being opened, don't you?

I got a response with the phone number and the link to the chat

seedsbelize2 02-21-22 12:57 PM

I'm considering going back to brewed coffee. Nescafé has changed their formula for instant and it's not as appealing as it once was

genejockey 02-21-22 01:03 PM

In college, as the end of one term approached, I needed to catch up on the reading for one of my classes, so I made 3X coffee with freeze-dried. It was horrific. But it kept me awake.

big john 02-21-22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22416733)

I've been trying to reach you about your car's warranty expiring. This final notice is given as a courtesy.

LesterOfPuppets 02-21-22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22416483)

Who can complete the sentence? I'm thinkin' "Bottom Line"