Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cannondale R series (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239812)

Wallonthefloor 10-01-21 07:56 AM

Cannondale R series

I am wondering which bike is better Cannondale R300 or R600. Im seeing them once in a while in the used marketplace and I need some input.

big john 10-01-21 08:11 AM

I think they are the same frame, just a higher level of components on the 600. Which is better? With used bikes you're going to have to look at them to see. Lots of variables.Happy hunting.

Iride01 10-01-21 09:12 AM

Old bikes with old components? The cost to fix them if they ever break or wear out might be higher than the bikes are worth. So make certain everything works and that it works properly.

They look essentially like the same frame. Probably just the 300 vs 600 is a difference in the tier level of the groupset that was put on it.

Haven't looked closely though. For 100 or so dollars, they might be a deal.

genejockey 10-01-21 09:59 AM

Yeah, that's it. The R600 had at least one level higher components, plus when it was introduced in 1995, the R300 had downtube shifters, while the bikes higher up the food chain got STIs. I'm not sure when they STOPPED the R(x)00 designation, but they might be over 25 years old. If not ridden much, and stored inside, they might be in fine shape. If they got 'rode hard and put up wet', or stored outside, they might be a nightmare.

joejack951 10-09-21 08:05 AM

$100 for an R-series Cannondale? Are you insane? :D Even the older 'Criterium-series' Cannondales can fetch $300 in my area.

And a 'nightmare' to fix? If it has downtube shifters, the worst thing that could go wrong is needing a new derailleur. If an STI bike, there are plenty of cheap new or used STIs around that will fix any issue there. And most old STIs just need to be sprayed with some lube to free up the mechanisms.

Get something that fits and with the type of shifters you prefer and gearing that suits your terrain (many older bikes will be lacking in gears for hilly areas). Note that in many areas, like mine, vintage bike prices can start approaching cheap, new bike prices (Bikesdirect). For those who like the look of vintage bikes they still make sense and are still going to be less money even with a few upgrades. If you aren't the type to want to do much of your own work and plan to rely on a shop, you may be better served by spending money and buying from a shop to get something with a maintenance plan.

the sci guy 10-12-21 10:26 AM

right now a 2000/2001 R1000 in a size 50 or 52 is my holy grail. I stupidly passed on a '99 R1000 last year because I was being cheap and i regret it literally every single day.

Just found a 2001 R1000 for my buddy completely by chance for $400 but he's a size 58. I'm so frickin jealous. At least I get to build it up for him!