Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Clavicle Surgery Question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1248310)

dmanthree 03-14-22 05:34 PM

Clavicle Surgery Question

I had surgery to repair a busted clavicle three weeks ago, and I still have a bit of numbness along the bone. The doc said that's normal, so my question is this: has anyone else experienced this?

Phoenix800 03-14-22 06:33 PM

What's numb? Do you mean the skin? Do you mean a funny bone feeling?

I've had my left clavicle 'fixed' twice. First time I broke it moutain biking, shattered it falling on a rock. The skin near the incision is numb and has been since the repair twent-two years ago.

After the first repair, my clavicle felt 'funny'. I attributed it to the titanium plate and six screws restraining it from flexing normally.

The second break required two plates and sixteen screws. The whole thing area is numb, probably a good thing.

dmanthree 03-15-22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix800 (Post 22439205)
What's numb? Do you mean the skin? Do you mean a funny bone feeling?

I've had my left clavicle 'fixed' twice. First time I broke it moutain biking, shattered it falling on a rock. The skin near the incision is numb and has been since the repair twent-two years ago.

After the first repair, my clavicle felt 'funny'. I attributed it to the titanium plate and six screws restraining it from flexing normally.

The second break required two plates and sixteen screws. The whole thing area is numb, probably a good thing.

Yes, just the skin. The area seems to be shrinking, but still a good sized area of skin that's still numb. I guess they has to "move" some nerves to get to the bone.

randallr 03-15-22 03:59 PM

I had clavicle surgey last October and some numbness was also my experience. I did a lot of physical therapy to regain range of motion. I still have a little bit of numbness on the top front of my shoulder, before it was more generalized.

MCHunt 03-15-22 04:33 PM

Numbness is normal

The surgeon will cut through cutaneous (nerves in the skin) nerves to get to your clavicle. The area will attempt to repair itself and return to normal sensation. It is slow, nerves heal at the rate of 1mm/ day. However, it is normal for some areas around surgical incisions to never return to normal sensation.

dmanthree 03-15-22 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by randallr (Post 22440280)
I had clavicle surgey last October and some numbness was also my experience. I did a lot of physical therapy to regain range of motion. I still have a little bit of numbness on the top front of my shoulder, before it was more generalized.

I wondered about the need for some PT after the cut. My 2 week exam went well, and next is the six week exam. At that point I guess I'll find out what else is needed.
No complaints, though. I already have nearly full range of motion, and starting to regain some strength in the shoulder. Slow going, but that's OK.

blacknbluebikes 03-16-22 11:35 AM

Yeah, I've had that numbness for years. You get used to it. I had a titanium plate installed, subsequently removed when the screws peaked up. Now it's a really nice keyring. Can't have enough titanium.