Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you ride all the bikes in your collection? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253469)

bblair 06-14-22 09:07 AM

Do you ride all the bikes in your collection?

For those of you with multiple bikes, maybe some classic/vintage steeds: do you ride them regularly? Special occasions?

I've got 4 ridable bikes, of various ages (plus a tandem), but I tend to only ride the newest. You?

JohnMorgan 06-14-22 09:24 AM

Yes. I ride both of them :-)

The Renown for fun, and the Galaxy for sensible stuff (it’s got the racks and mudguards).

daywood 06-14-22 09:42 AM

I ride all of them in a sort of rotation, partly because I’m always fiddling with them, trying different components or setups. I find that helps keep me out there riding when I could be easily distracted by all the other things I could/should be doing. I had one that I had been keeping more or less in its vintage form but I found that I wasn’t riding it much anymore so I put it under the wrench.

prj71 06-14-22 09:44 AM

I ride all of them. Right tool for the job.

Road Bike
Full suspension mountain bike
Hard Tail mountain bike that I converted to ride on gravel
Fat Bike - For winter.

burnthesheep 06-14-22 09:49 AM

Technically yes, in spirit, no. The $200 track bike is eternally the smart trainer mule. Rather that than ruin a modern "superbike" TT bike or cyclocross bikes on a trainer with sweat.

I don't want to draw the wife's ire given the new fancy cyclocross bike purchase, so need to wait a while to get some wheels for the track bike. I want a road fork for it so I can ride it fixed or single speed but have a front brake. Then I'd ride it outside.

pdlamb 06-14-22 09:50 AM

I ride them all. But for some reason the oldest and the newest seem to get the most attention.

Paul Barnard 06-14-22 10:17 AM

My tandem gets used less than any. Down here in NOLA my MTB gets used infrequently. I do use it a good bit on vacations. My road bike gets used a little more often yet. Since the streets around here are horrible, my touring/commuter and my grave bike see the most action.

tkamd73 06-14-22 11:43 AM

Yup, all vintage, newest is 91, and I ride them all. Most have been updated with modern wheelsets though.
Tim

Koyote 06-14-22 11:47 AM

I don't have a "collection;" I own five bikes, with each being used at least occasionally for it's intended purpose.

OldsCOOL 06-14-22 11:54 AM

Yes, definately. Except for the winter snowstorm riding bike and that 1898 restored Glenwood with wooden rims. That thing is not a comfort bike.

The others are hardcore road racers from the 70’s and 80’s. I love riding them.

bblair 06-14-22 01:04 PM

My 1977 Raleigh Pro I am very attached to. Campy Record and all that stuff. But wow, what a difference shifting on a modern bike. I guess I just powered through (I was a lot younger) instead of the constant shifting I do now. And 20mm tires! I should ride it more. Maybe tomorrow.

All were purchased at a local shop and each is smaller than the previous.

DMC707 06-14-22 01:22 PM

No

not even close. I have bikes that havent been used in over 5 years

I tend to start riding one and staying with it for a while

veganbikes 06-14-22 01:51 PM

I want to lie so bad and say yes I ride them all who doesn't but truth is yes I have bikes I don't ride as often I really need to ride them more but for one reason on another I don't mostly due to time, most of my riding now is commuting and if I am doing some fun rides it is usually with friends on hybrids so I tend to take my parts hybrid but I have occasionally take a road bike or my fixed gear but the hybrid is just so easy to deal with.

mstateglfr 06-14-22 01:59 PM

If I dont ride a bike, I dont think there is much reason to own it. Better said, if I dont intend to ride a bike, I dont think there is much reason to own it.

Currently...
Gravel bike gets 35% of miles.
Main road bike gets 35% of miles.
Backup road bike gets 25% of miles.
Touring/commute bike gets 5% of miles.

In 2020 covid year, it was totally different as I rode almost all gravel and very little road.
In 2019, it was totally different as I commuted to my office more.

I am painting an old Cannondale CAAD3 frame right now and will build it up soon. I am eager to find out how much it gets used and if I turn it into my backup road bike or not. My backup road bike doubles as my Zwift trainer bike, so maybe that will change too?

Regardless, if the bike isnt ridden, move it on to someone that will use it. I only own 1 frame that I would keep and hang, its one that I built. Everything else can be sold if my riding habits dictate.

genejockey 06-14-22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22541474)
If I dont ride a bike, I dont think there is much reason to own it. Better said, if I dont intend to ride a bike, I dont think there is much reason to own it.

This is also my view. I also collect vintage American watches, and I won't buy a watch I won't wear.

I ride all 10 of my bikes, though I do have some favorites, and some less favored ones. But even the less favored ones, I still like riding. A week or so ago, we did our monthly C&V ride, and I chose a bike I hadn't ridden since November. By the end of the ride, I remembered just what a sweet bike it is, and I wanted to ride it some more.

Canker 06-14-22 02:13 PM

hardtail = yep
full suspension = yep
road/gravel = half yep, the gravel wheelset doesn't go on very often.
had a rigid mtb but sold it because it was a nope.

The Chemist 06-14-22 04:12 PM

I ride both of my bikes. My Giant is ridden by myself when I want to go fast / far, and my Dahon is mostly used for going on relaxing rides with my daughter since it's much easier to go slow on.

gringomojado 06-14-22 05:18 PM

I only ride my Trek 820 with studded tires when conditions call for it.
I rarely ride my Penny Farthing
Haven't ridden my trike in years

Mostly ride my Trek Allante 1x7 urban bike and my Giant Momentum 1x7 when in Guatemala as well as my Guatemalan Veceza steel TB (tank)

gm

jamesdak 06-14-22 06:06 PM

I ride them all quite regularly. Pretty unusual for me to take the same bike out day after day. Like others have said above, I don't see much point in having a bike I don't ride. So if one isn't getting used it's moved on.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ddd3501ecc.jpg

Wildwood 06-14-22 06:09 PM

Everything in the bottom sig line is still here and almost all ridden.
That's 13 of 15 rideable (ok, maybe a couple of flats, one needs a freewheel). 2 project bikes with all parts in-house.

Lost the rotation regularity and behind on some maintenance, but the project bikes are nearing completion. :)
Always seeking a new thrill?

No bare framesets hanging around.

Admittedly, I should N minus 7/8/9 - to get in more riding time. :twitchy:

katsup 06-14-22 10:10 PM

I now own 4 bikes and they all get ridden. Although, my 2 modern bikes are used for 75% of my riding. The 2 vintage mountain bikes are used for more relaxing rides, one is setup as a hybrid, the other as a flat bar gravel.

Desert Ryder 06-14-22 10:22 PM

They all (3) get ridden though, not all for their intended purposes.
1980 (?) Raleigh Grand Prix - gets ridden as it should. On the road.
2006 Trek Alpha 3700 and 1997 GT STS DH get ridden on flat dirt or cruising road bike lanes/trails
Plans to eventually get 26" slicks for the MTB bikes.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0309ba14bd.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...94cf26ceb1.jpg

Fredo76 06-14-22 10:43 PM

I ride all three that fit me. I have two I should sell.

Germany_chris 06-15-22 04:44 AM

Three bikes spread over two locations and I ride them all

Herzlos 06-15-22 04:58 AM

My main bike (gravel) definitely gets the bulk of the usage, but the other 2 do get used where it suits (road and mountain). I could live with 1 if space/money dictated, but that wouldn't be so much fun.