Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22152841)
2 rides in and I'm a fan. Very compliant and just soaks up the road. Planted and stable on the loose gravel descents. The second picture the tuning chip--Otso's adjustable dropout system, you can move it forward for more technical riding. I doubt I ever do that but I guess it's nice to have. I decided to try the Pirelli Centurato Gravel H tires, 45mm, because I wanted something wider and what limited user feedback I could find on them said they were fast. So far so good but who knows how much of that is new bike watts.

I have the Gravel H and like them- they’re good enough on dry Texas dirt and also work well on pavement, and especially rough pavement. I was ready to swap them for the new Zipps, since they seem to get lots of little sealed punctures and that made me nervous… but then before I made the swap, the rear took a construction screw and got me home, albeit noisily. It sealed once I removed the screw and pumped it a few times, but swapped that to the Zipp anyway. May not have needed to, and leaving the front on until something happens. Great tires, and the RR tests well.

Mine are the 700x40s though, FWIW.

WhyFi 07-23-21 07:07 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22154123)
Mine is usually about a 30w difference but I attribute that to hills

A 30w difference would be very low for me at anything above z2, I think. I probably have more starts and stops to deal with, though. VV knows what it's like - life in the big cities.

seedsbelize 07-23-21 07:08 AM

While chit chatting in the bike shop yesterday, the owner/mechanic looked longingly at my pedals. He said he can't buy 9/16 pedals for love or money. And he gave a wait time of 18 months for a new bike.

LesterOfPuppets 07-23-21 07:09 AM

Oh, they FINALLY told us what order they're going in, I've been wracking my mind.

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22154257)
Rain has been trashing most of my mornings the past three weeks and with my daughters in summer track and travel softball, I can't get out at night anymore. It's really hurt my mileage (but I'd never get to 250 regardless).

Yeah the real killer app for me is the LSS who while definitely LS, not only understands the need to ride, but would even appreciate it if I built my volume to where I could routinely go 4-5 hours with her.

I mean, riding, of course.

phrantic09 07-23-21 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154258)
I have the Gravel H and like them- they’re good enough on dry Texas dirt and also work well on pavement, and especially rough pavement. I was ready to swap them for the new Zipps, since they seem to get lots of little sealed punctures and that made me nervous… but then before I made the swap, the rear took a construction screw and got me home, albeit noisily. It sealed once I removed the screw and pumped it a few times, but swapped that to the Zipp anyway. May not have needed to, and leaving the front on until something happens. Great tires, and the RR tests well.

Mine are the 700x40s though, FWIW.

Was considering picking those up, good to know.


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154261)
A 30w difference would be very low for me at anything above z2, I think. I probably have more starts and stops to deal with, though. VV knows what it's like - life in the big cities.

I looked at some rides, I guess closer to 40.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154280)
Yeah the real killer app for me is the LSS who while definitely LS, not only understands the need to ride, but would even appreciate it if I built my volume to where I could routinely go 4-5 hours with her.

I mean, riding, of course.

My wife encourages me to go, in fact, I'm bagging work a little early today at her encouragement so I can get 60-70 in assuming the storms hold off. Would love to ride with her, but she has a foot problem that prevents her from wearing tight cycling shoes, which is a bummer for her.

seedsbelize 07-23-21 07:19 AM

Cold has been hampering my mornings. Who would guess that late July/early August weather in the quasi South, would be virtually equal to the dead of Winter in Yucatán?

MoAlpha 07-23-21 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22154119)
must be nice, my pro ones are shot after about 2500 miles. Front tire currently has a tube patch on the inside.

trying to figure out what to try next

Being easy on tires is apparently a Jewish thing.

Velo Vol 07-23-21 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154261)
A 30w difference would be very low for me at anything above z2, I think. I probably have more starts and stops to deal with, though. VV knows what it's like - life in the big cities.

Especially when the "traffic engineers" set the lights on dumb dumb mode so people on the main roads have to stop and wait.

WhyFi 07-23-21 07:53 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22154321)
Being easy on tires is apparently a Jewish thing.

Oy vey! Gay kocken offen yom!

WhyFi 07-23-21 07:55 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154328)
Oy vey! Gay kocken offen yom!

A good friend and former co-worker felt that this was the most useful Yiddish that he could teach me. :o

MoAlpha 07-23-21 07:58 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154328)
Oy vey! Gay kocken offen yom!

Timeless advice to the confused.

Velo Vol 07-23-21 07:58 AM

wut


indyfabz 07-23-21 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22154221)
Do these Olympic games count?

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/u...0/11/count.jpg

datlas 07-23-21 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22154321)
Being lithe and handsome is apparently a Jewish thing.

fixed, possibly

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22154289)
My wife encourages me to go, in fact, I'm bagging work a little early today at her encouragement so I can get 60-70 in assuming the storms hold off. Would love to ride with her, but she has a foot problem that prevents her from wearing tight cycling shoes, which is a bummer for her.

I’m concerned, meanwhile, that mine will suggest DK200.

Velo Vol 07-23-21 08:21 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22154351)

I mean, do you watch these as a regular games? Or do you consider them to have a giant asterisk?

WhyFi 07-23-21 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154373)
I’m concerned, meanwhile, that mine will suggest DK200.

That would be equal parts brutal and fun.

Maybe.

MoAlpha 07-23-21 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154355)
fixed, possibly

Chuck had a different group in mind, but said it well.


Mojo31 07-23-21 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154280)
Yeah the real killer app for me is the LSS who while definitely LS, not only understands the need to ride, but would even appreciate it if I built my volume to where I could routinely go 4-5 hours with her.

I mean, riding, of course.

Braggart.

WhyFi 07-23-21 08:29 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22154379)
Or do you consider them to have a giant asterisk?

Like the NBA bubble last year? :innocent:

At least my loose following of track events seems to indicate that competition is at a very high level, not the opposite. What little I've seen of gymnastics seems to be at a high level, too. I would consider these games to be normal, not some rush job that's so haphazard that competition is lacking.

indyfabz 07-23-21 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22154379)
I mean, do you watch these as a regular games? Or do you consider them to have a giant asterisk?

https://www.asterix.com/illus/asteri.../perso/g09.gif

indyfabz 07-23-21 08:36 AM

Speaking of bird encounters:


WhyFi 07-23-21 08:45 AM

^^^ Ouch.

ksryder 07-23-21 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154258)
I have the Gravel H and like them- they’re good enough on dry Texas dirt and also work well on pavement, and especially rough pavement. I was ready to swap them for the new Zipps, since they seem to get lots of little sealed punctures and that made me nervous… but then before I made the swap, the rear took a construction screw and got me home, albeit noisily. It sealed once I removed the screw and pumped it a few times, but swapped that to the Zipp anyway. May not have needed to, and leaving the front on until something happens. Great tires, and the RR tests well.

Mine are the 700x40s though, FWIW.

I ordered both the Gravel H and the Gravel Ms because they weren't in stock anywhere so when I finally found them in stock I figured why not get both and see what happens.

I installed the Gravel Hs with tubes first because it'll be easier to swap them out. Yeah they definitely feel fast. My average speed on Wednesday night's ride was a bit higher than normal but it's hard to say how much of that is the route (that particular route is less hilly and usually faster); new bike watts, or the new tires, or a combination.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the Gravel Ms. Maybe save them for winter.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.