Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Eric F 07-28-22 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22590365)
Not using it on a beer can, so we'll never know.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-29-2015/wA3bam.gif

If I ever want to fillet a beer car, I would reach for a Ginsu. Since that's not something I have ever needed to do - nor see myself ever needing to do - I don't have a Ginsu in my kitchen block.

15-ish years ago, I obliged a Cutco salesperson as a favor to a family member. He was going on about how the serrated cutting edge would allow me to cut tomatoes without squashing them. I went to my kitchen, grabbed a tomato and my chef's knife (mediocre-level Henckles), and quickly produced a small stack of wafer-thin tomato slices for him. Umm...yeah. I don't have that issue with tomatoes. His pitch didn't last much longer. However, I mercifully bought a pair of kitchen shears from him that I still use on a regular basis.

Eric F 07-28-22 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22590414)
Gotta admit, it's funny.

Not hilarious funny, but I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 on the funny scale.

That seems like a fair score.

ls01 07-28-22 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22590255)
Uh...No. I wish I had thought to say "At least I can afford to buy my own bike and don't have to rent one."

good one!

datlas 07-28-22 09:38 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22590413)
Yes. I am always in search of better climbs. The best nearby climbs are either too short (1 mile at 9%) or too shallow (2 miles at 4%) so this one looks like it has promise. It's a bit far to do on a regular basis, but as a "destination ride" I am looking forward to it.

For example, this is probably my "favorite" local climb. It's only a 7 mile ride from my home, so I can ride there....it's certainly steep enough (it has a few pitches that are likely 12+%, average 8.9%, and although it's not as long as I would like, it's reasonably long. As an added bonus, there is a lovely bakery/cafe at the bottom of the hill in Birchrunville.

Flowing Springs:

​​​​​​https://www.strava.com/segments/580148

datlas 07-28-22 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22590421)
If I ever want to fillet a beer car, I would reach for a Ginsu. Since that's not something I have ever needed to do - nor see myself ever needing to do - I don't have a Ginsu in my kitchen block.

15-ish years ago, I obliged a Cutco salesperson as a favor to a family member. He was going on about how the serrated cutting edge would allow me to cut tomatoes without squashing them. I went to my kitchen, grabbed a tomato and my chef's knife (mediocre-level Henckles), and quickly produced a small stack of wafer-thin tomato slices for him. Umm...yeah. I don't have that issue with tomatoes. His pitch didn't last much longer. However, I mercifully bought a pair of kitchen shears from him that I still use on a regular basis.

Is Cutco a MLM company? I kinda think so. Sad!

Eric F 07-28-22 09:55 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22590454)
Is Cutco a MLM company? I kinda think so. Sad!

I believe that it is.

LesterOfPuppets 07-28-22 10:14 AM

Fun job of the day: riding in the back of a pickup truck that's driving down some Belgian 2-lane blacktop and photographing race cars.


Bah Humbug 07-28-22 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22590373)
I think Mrs John would be happy to live in a cave (climate controlled, of course) and have very little contact with the outside world. I could handle that, but would want to be able to ride with friends, at least sometimes. I might like to travel but I don't think about it much, and I hate flying.

We're like that but would fly to certain vacations. The goal of the next house is to actually enable that lifestyle.

indyfabz 07-28-22 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22590414)
Gotta admit, it's funny.

Uncorrect.

Bah Humbug 07-28-22 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22590414)
Gotta admit, it's funny.

Not hilarious funny, but I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 on the funny scale.

It's the kinda funny that's funny for the joker but not the jokee, so still kinda a shower-totey thing to say to someone you don't have a rapport with.

Bah Humbug 07-28-22 10:29 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22590336)
SInce we both made it this far, we've decided to dip our toes into spending some of our savings. So talk to me about some knives of the day. Amazon is the only delivery option we have.

Depends hugely on your intended uses and personal preference, What do you have now?

big john 07-28-22 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22590511)
We're like that but would fly to certain vacations. The goal of the next house is to actually enable that lifestyle.

The previous house I lived in for 16 years was a little like that. In the hills outside the city limits with an absurdly steep driveway. Never a loud party and never any fireworks in the 16 years I was there. Never any solicitors! We get that now and I do not approve of anyone opening the gate and banging on my door to try and sell me some crap or ask for a donation.

genejockey 07-28-22 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22590413)
Yes. I am always in search of better climbs. The best nearby climbs are either too short (1 mile at 9%) or too shallow (2 miles at 4%) so this one looks like it has promise. It's a bit far to do on a regular basis, but as a "destination ride" I am looking forward to it.

You gotta get yourself over to my old stomping grounds, NW of Gettysburg. I was just playing around with Strava, starting from Mom and Dad's house, and just taking Dad's old route to work, it was 800 feet in 9 miles.

indyfabz 07-28-22 11:08 AM

The Subaru passed inspection.

genejockey 07-28-22 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22590578)
The Subaru passed inspection.

Lordy, I remember those. The "no rust-through" rule often weighed heavily on any car older than about 10 years, and often took out cars that were otherwise mechanically fine. It was quite a revelation when I moved to New York, which had inspections but allowed rust-through. I once saw a Chevy Vega with front fenders so destroyed by rust they were more like suggestions of the original shape, than actual fenders.

indyfabz 07-28-22 11:21 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22590586)
Lordy, I remember those. The "no rust-through" rule often weighed heavily on any car older than about 10 years, and often took out cars that were otherwise mechanically fine. It was quite a revelation when I moved to New York, which had inspections but allowed rust-through. I once saw a Chevy Vega with front fenders so destroyed by rust they were more like suggestions of the original shape, than actual fenders.

Mine turned 6 at the beginning of the month. With all the extra driving to the NJ office twice/week I have been doing I till haven't hit 17,000 miles.

I've done 3 tours in New England since 2018. So many Subaru's there, including a good number of old ones.

datlas 07-28-22 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22590573)
You gotta get yourself over to my old stomping grounds, NW of Gettysburg. I was just playing around with Strava, starting from Mom and Dad's house, and just taking Dad's old route to work, it was 800 feet in 9 miles.

Issue is it's about 100 miles away from me. Kinda far to ride there and back in a day.

datlas 07-28-22 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22590578)
The Subaru passed inspection.

:bday:

The Saturn is due in December. Vegas odds are 50:50.

WhyFi 07-28-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22590605)
Issue is it's about 100 miles away from me. Kinda far to ride there and back in a day.

Don't be a slacker.

genejockey 07-28-22 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22590605)
Issue is it's about 100 miles away from me. Kinda far to ride there and back in a day.

There is that. But where's your sense of adventure? :roflmao2:

When I rode there as a ute, I tended to avoid any really big climbs, but it turns out the whole area north and west of town have a lot of ups and downs.

genejockey 07-28-22 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22590606)
:bday:

The Saturn is due in December. Vegas odds are 50:50.

Saturns had plastic body panels, right?

Our old '66 Ford station wagon lasted 15-20 years, with a bit of Bondo and fiberglass toward the end, but the 1954 Plymouth Dad bought new before moving to Rochester for 4 years barely made it 10 years before it failed inspection. Those years in Upstate NY.....

datlas 07-28-22 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22590628)
Saturns had plastic body panels, right?

Our old '66 Ford station wagon lasted 15-20 years, with a bit of Bondo and fiberglass toward the end, but the 1954 Plymouth Dad bought new before moving to Rochester for 4 years barely made it 10 years before it failed inspection. Those years in Upstate NY.....

Yes it HAS plastic side panels. So zero rust is visible. But I am sure there is lots of rust in the floor and underbody. Sad.

Eric F 07-28-22 12:13 PM

Wordle 404 4/6

Got the first 3 letters in the right spot on my first guess, and eliminated a common last letter. Still took me 4. Blah.

seedsbelize2 07-28-22 12:44 PM

I hit 305.9 kph, according to RideWithGPS. Drat! Missed it by .1. That must be why I'm so tired today. No smile coming in; just looking for the end.

seedsbelize2 07-28-22 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22590519)
Depends hugely on your intended uses and personal preference, What do you have now?

Chicago Cutlery. We're vegetarians. We need something to slice tomatoes without difficulty. And pineapples. And dense bread.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.