Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Why I don't use 220-age for HRmax (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1225999)

caloso 03-16-21 01:12 PM

Why I don't use 220-age for HRmax

As I mentioned in another thread (which I didn't want to derail) I mentioned that I'd recently done a ramp test to evaluate my FTP improvement. The graph of HR and power demonstrates why I don't use the 220-age formula. If I'd stopped at the 220-age predicted maximum heart rate that would have been 25 bpm below my actual observed maximum. More importantly, it would have been 130 watts below exhaustion, which is huge.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4fe1a62a18.jpg

Obviously, if you have known or suspected heart issues, consult your doctor. But if you've been limiting your efforts to an age-based formula, you may be cheating yourself.

Eric F 03-16-21 01:29 PM

The 220-age formula is - and has always been - a rough estimate, at best. In my early-mid 30s, my max. was 207, and I could do long efforts at 192. Currently (52yo), my max. is 187.

Cyclist0108 03-16-21 01:49 PM

I'm 220 years old, and that crazy formula would predict that I am no longer alive.

Road Fan 03-16-21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21970511)
I'm 220 years old, and that crazy formula would predict that I am no longer alive.

And yet, strangely you are!!!!

pdlamb 03-16-21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21970511)

Your birth certificate was forged.

OldTryGuy 03-16-21 05:03 PM

220 - age = HOGWASH

Brett A 03-16-21 05:19 PM

220 minus age works out to about 10 BPS lower than the highest I've registered on my chest-strap HRM in recent months. Maybe the rule of thumb is intentionally conservative? It seems to be lower than a lot of people's max HR when tested.

spelger 03-16-21 05:32 PM

Everyone seems to bash this formula and I don't really know why. everywhere I read about this formula is pretty clear that it is an estimate only.

I suspect that it is more accurate for most that do not get regular exercise, unlike the majority on this forum.

caloso 03-16-21 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Brett A (Post 21970868)
220 minus age works out to about 10 BPS lower than the highest I've registered on my chest-strap HRM in recent months. Maybe the rule of thumb is intentionally conservative? It seems to be lower than a lot of people's max HR when tested.

I don't think there's any intentionality involved. My understanding is that some researcher took a bunch of untrained individuals and plotted their max HRs and noticed a gross correlation between their age and HR. Then tried to fit a line to the correlation that worked out to 220-age. That's it. It's just a correlation across a population that has no predictive value for any one individual. It's just baffling to me how this has come to be accepted as even a rule of thumb. I mean you see it printed on gym equipment. I don't get it.

It makes as much sense as the "8 glasses of water everyday" nonsense.

caloso 03-16-21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 21970885)
Everyone seems to bash this formula and I don't really know why. everywhere I read about this formula is pretty clear that it is an estimate only.

I suspect that it is more accurate for most that do not get regular exercise, unlike the majority on this forum.

I'm sure you could get an estimate for your blood pressure via a formula too, but would your doctor use that? No, they'd put a cuff on your arm and measure it.

scottfsmith 03-16-21 05:54 PM

How does the HUNT formula work for folks, it is designed for more active individuals:

211 - (0.64 x age)

It is a ringer for me.

steveperseveres 03-16-21 07:01 PM

Probably more, but most MHR calculator formulas run pretty conservative for those of us who put in 10+ hours/week training.
  • Gellish2: 191.5 - .007 x age^2 = MHR
  • Fairburn: 201 - .63 x age for women = MHR
    OR 208 - .80 x age for men = MHR
  • Gellish: 206.9 - (o.67 x age) = MHR
  • Tanaka: 208 - (0.7 x age) = MHR

Hondo Gravel 03-16-21 07:13 PM

I saw 220 and that is was about amps :lol:

caloso 03-16-21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 21970992)

220, 221, whatever it takes.

spelger 03-16-21 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21970900)
I'm sure you could get an estimate for your blood pressure via a formula too, but would your doctor use that? No, they'd put a cuff on your arm and measure it.

of course not, and if my dr suggested an estimate it would be my last visit.

davester 03-16-21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 21970885)
Everyone seems to bash this formula and I don't really know why.

We bash it because it is complete nonsense and is harmful to older people trying to get in shape because it makes them curtail their effort at a lower level than they need in order to improve. There have been many scholarly articles written and easily accessible on the web that state how useless and misleading it is, yet it persists. That's why.

Artmo 03-17-21 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 21970992)

Don’t you mean volts?😊

Here’s another formula which worked for me, when I used to try harder:

210-0.5xage-5%body weight in lb
+4 for males
-0 for females

i can’t remember where I found it.

Hondo Gravel 03-17-21 06:48 AM

Yeah volts .. 220 with a 50 amp breaker.

steveperseveres 03-17-21 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Artmo (Post 21971399)
Don’t you mean volts?😊

Here’s another formula which worked for me, when I used to try harder:

210-0.5xage-5%body weight in lb
+4 for males
-0 for females

i can’t remember where I found it.

This seems closer to my situation than most. At 72 and 166 lbs., my MHR is around 180 at full tilt and I seem to stabilize around 155 on a long threshold ride.

OldsCOOL 03-17-21 07:41 AM

My annual physical with my doc, he always says “you aren’t in that study group”.

AlmostTrick 03-17-21 07:50 AM

Ok, the formula is not a good rule. Knowing this do you folks limit your max HR to any level, or just go ahead and ride all out when you feel like it and your max HR is whatever it is? (that's what I do, don't even run a monitor) My results of a recent 2 week Zio patch run showed I got up to 182.

When I asked my cardiologist if doing this was safe he said there is no health benefit to going all out at our age. (60) But apparently there may be a performance benefit for whatever that is worth.

work4bike 03-17-21 08:33 AM

220-age was never intended to be a formula for the masses. It definitly doesn't apply to me and I've never come across any other formula that fits me. Bottomline, you have to become familiar with your own HR and understand that there are times when even your HR show extreme anomalies.

https://edisciplinas.usp.br/pluginfi...%20-%20Age.pdf

This formula is often quoted without any warning about its potential inaccuracy, and in addition to the inaccuracy, it turns out it has little scientific basis [Kolata, 2003]. Some people are aware that 220-age was never intended by its original authors to be a universal formula (it was intended to come up with a safe exercise level for patients in cardiac rehab and was based on a not very broad sample of subjects). But the problem is also in the basic assumption that max heart can be predicted on the basis of age alone. If you think about it, it seems nonsensical- regardless of family background, fitness level, whether we're tall or short, underweight or overweight, etc, we all have exactly the same heart rate at a certain age, and maximum heart rate declines with age in all of us at exactly the same rate?

caloso 03-17-21 09:10 AM

This.

But the problem is also in the basic assumption that max heart can be predicted on the basis of age alone. If you think about it, it seems nonsensical- regardless of family background, fitness level, whether we're tall or short, underweight or overweight, etc, we all have exactly the same heart rate at a certain age, and maximum heart rate declines with age in all of us at exactly the same rate?

spelger 03-17-21 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 21971123)
We bash it because it is complete nonsense and is harmful to older people trying to get in shape because it makes them curtail their effort at a lower level than they need in order to improve. There have been many scholarly articles written and easily accessible on the web that state how useless and misleading it is, yet it persists. That's why.

is it right to bash the formula or to bash those using it without regard to the typical word "estimate" attached to such formula?

i am not defending the formula, it is an estimate, something to use that is quick and dirty. for us that ride a lot it is probably really dirty. i think there is merit to the formula and others, it is just not for us or others that exercise regularly.

for me it is low, i am 54 now and that gives me 166. the highest i have ever seen is 171. i only see this live when on the trainer.

as an aside, how do you even measure max heart rate? i have seen something suggested that is very similar to the FTP ramp test where you increase power and ride until exhaustion, except you take the max heart rate during the ride. is this accurate? probably far better than any estimate but i wonder if on a different day under different conditions one may have a different result.

caloso 03-17-21 10:30 AM

I don't set out to purposely test it, but I will note the highest observed reading during a maximum effort. For me that's usually been during races. Nevada City would typically be my maxHR each season. Since I haven't done any races or race-like group rides in a year, it's been during ramp testing. Since you ride those to exhaustion, that seems like a pretty good indication of your true personal max HR.