Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How many wear eye protection when out on your ride? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1210640)

SpeedyBlueBiker 08-18-20 10:39 AM

How many wear eye protection when out on your ride?

I for one am always concerned about protecting my eyes while riding. Not only from UV rays but also from Bugs, bees, flies and any other flying objects while I'm out riding. Riding along at 18 to 21mph and getting hit by a flying insect/bug/bee is not my idea of fun. I've been hit numerous times on the face and they do sting a bit. It just makes me glad that I wore my sunglasses or if it's dark and gray my clear glasses. In addition, if you get caught out in a rain shower/storm it's nice to have something covering your eyes.

Atlas Shrugged 08-18-20 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 21647548)
I for one am always concerned about protecting my eyes while riding. Not only from UV rays but also from Bugs, bees, flies and any other flying objects while I'm out riding. Riding along at 18 to 21mph and getting hit by a flying insect/bug/bee is not my idea of fun. I've been hit numerous times on the face and they do sting a bit. It just makes me glad that I wore my sunglasses or if it's dark and gray my clear glasses. In addition, if you get caught out in a rain shower/storm it's nice to have something covering your eyes.

Always.

Reflector Guy 08-18-20 10:47 AM

Always here, too. My eyes are always bothered by the wind, so the glasses are a must.

coopman 08-18-20 10:49 AM

Yep. A few weeks ago I was hit in the face by what must have been a big bug during my ride. Could have been a falling acorn too, I guess. There was nothing else around me. Kind of shocked me. I wear glasses & some Blublocker clip-ons too.

caloso 08-18-20 10:53 AM

Always.

GlennR 08-18-20 10:54 AM

Always.. I have photo chromatic lens that go from very dark to clear so i always have the "right" glasses on.

DrIsotope 08-18-20 11:02 AM

All of my lenses are prescription, so they are not optional. The fact that they stop bees from striking me in the cornea at 25mph is just a nice bonus.

GAtkins 08-18-20 11:14 AM

Always. I wear my Rx sunglasses.

The other OCD thing I do is lower my head as a dumptruck, work trailer, or something similar is approaching from the other direction. Don't want to get hit in the face by a flying rock or worse.

Glenn

hillyman 08-18-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21647583)
Always.. I have photo chromatic lens that go from very dark to clear so i always have the "right" glasses on.

Hope your right. Finally found a pair photochromatic with bifocal readers from NZ in Australia. Anxious when I get home about the 31st to give him a shot. Your posts about how great PC glasses are finally made me shell out the $200 although I know not the same brand is yours

bikecrate 08-18-20 11:14 AM

I posted this a couple of years ago...Bug Strike

I'm glad I was wearing my sunglasses that day.

bruce19 08-18-20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21647583)

Same here.

freeranger 08-18-20 11:19 AM

Always--of course, I've worn rx glasses since I was 3. Be glad I'm wearing them, so I can see not to run into you, or trees, ditches, etc.! Contacts or lasik is not an option for me-glasses are a must.

GlennR 08-18-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by hillyman (Post 21647632)
Hope your right. Finally found a pair photochromatic with bifocal readers from NZ in Australia. Anxious when I get home about the 31st to give him a shot. Your posts about how great PC glasses are finally made me shell out the $200 although I know not the same brand is yours

These are by Rudy Project. The lenses are photochromatic and come in many different shades. They're polycarbonate so they provide excellent rock protection. The prescriptions are on a separate frame that snaps in. I wear progressive lenses and they can be clear and not polycarbonate since the primary lenses are. when my prescription changes I just replace the lenses, the frames and primary lenses do not change. So once you layout the money, it's relatively cheap over the years.

Clear
https://i.imgur.com/NzPjoVR.jpg

Prescription insert
https://i.imgur.com/qfX9U7U.jpg

Dark
https://i.imgur.com/MCqFIR7.jpg

DrIsotope 08-18-20 11:43 AM

Downside: I simply cannot do inserts. I dunno if it's a focal length thing, I don't know if it's a peripheral vision thing, but they drive me nuts. Anxiety-inducing. Not for me.
Upside: I'm eligible for a new pair of glasses every other year on the insurance, and my prescription hasn't changed since 2003. I still wear a pair of 17-year-old Oakleys daily.

Flip Flop Rider 08-18-20 11:56 AM

always, even at night

c_m_shooter 08-18-20 12:01 PM

I can't see 3 feet without glasses, so always. I only wear safety rated glasses since I need them for work anyways.

79pmooney 08-18-20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21647607)
All of my lenses are prescription, so they are not optional. The fact that they stop bees from striking me in the cornea at 25mph is just a nice bonus.

+1

I also trained out my blink reflex as a teen, quite deliberately. I was an ice hockey goalie. Getting scored on by successful saves I had made that bounced out to the stick of an opponent got old. I trained myself to take a hit off my facemask and watch the rebound so I could move and block it. (I was told many times you cannot train out that reflex. Well, I did and make quite a few saves to prove it.)

Ben

Notso_fastLane 08-18-20 12:08 PM

For those who don't need prescriptions, I like the Home Depot or Lowes safety glasses. I used to use them inside my motorcycle helmet as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ERB-Ipro...7942/301858749

For $2-5, I would usually by 3 pair of the light yellow for night riding, and 3 pair of the tinted for day riding. Wraparound protection does a good job for rocks, bugs, and wind. And I never worried too much about dropping or breaking them (I even gave them away occasionally) since they are so inexpensive.

Now I have prescription (getting old sucks), but I'm still looking for a good pair of sport protective glasses/frames.

daveton 08-18-20 12:13 PM

Always sunglass also bought a pair of yellow lens for cloudy days. They protect my eyes and seem to brighten everything up.

pdlamb 08-18-20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21647607)

+1 more. I'm almost looking forward to cataract surgery so I can get rid of the inserts I need for my prescription. Almost.

delbiker1 08-18-20 12:17 PM

I have worn prescription glasses since the 3rd grade, The only time I do not wear them is in rain that is more than a sprinkle, and foggy misty times when the moisture just gets too built up too quickly. My eyes also are very sunlight sensitive, consequently, mostly sunglasses that I use. I have new pair that is scheduled for delivery today.

Speedway2 08-18-20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane (Post 21647746)
For those who don't need prescriptions, I like the Home Depot or Lowes safety glasses.

I ride with Safety glasses too. Clear ones for low light and dark tint the rest of the time. They're light weight, cheap to replace and provide VG protection from wind/blowing dust.
They're not as fancy as my polarized Raybans but I'm pleased with how good the optics are.

SpeedyBlueBiker 08-18-20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 21647715)
always, even at night

Yes, that is what I do as well. Clear safety glasses for the rare times I cycle at night. Haven't tried the yellow lenses yet. Might give it a try.

Troul 08-18-20 12:25 PM

A June bug would have taken my eye out recently if it weren't for wearing ppe.

wipekitty 08-18-20 12:27 PM

Always! Tinted lenses for daytime, clear lenses at night, and...ski goggles in the winter.

I've worn contacts since I was a teen. It was much more practical and cost-effective than glasses, since I'd break several pairs a year playing sports.