Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   All seatpost mounting paste created equal? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1255955)

NoWhammies 07-29-22 04:13 PM

All seatpost mounting paste created equal?

Is all seatpost mounting paste created equal? My bike's manual says to only use FSA seat post mounting paste. BUT I have some Park Tool paste already and I am wondering if I can get away using the Park stuff. Thoughts?

Iride01 07-29-22 04:34 PM

Probably not all created equal.

But most all name brands that have been around awhile are probably satisfactory for the purpose.

Steelman54 07-30-22 09:08 AM

And my Volkswagen oil cap where you add the oil says to use Castrol! I've used Mobil 1 for 6 years now with no issues. I'd imagine there might some differences, hard to imagine the Park stuff isn't OK. I wouldn't use something no name from eBay or somewhere else out there in internet land.

icemilkcoffee 07-30-22 04:44 PM

It doesn’t matter which one you use because none of them really work all that well. If you’re expecting miracles- it’s not going to happen.

wesmamyke 07-30-22 05:45 PM

I think the FSA stuff is the "good" stuff, essentially repackaged Tacx brand carbon grease. It's more rubbery than sandy in texture and tends to hold much better. Pretty much every other brand is the gritty/sandy variety.

HillRider 07-31-22 11:27 AM

Hijacking this thread a bit, do any of the "carbon" assembly pastes work on metal seatposts in a metal frame? I have a Thomson aluminum seatpost in a Litespeed Ti frame that has begun to creep down slightly during a ride even with the seatpost clamp ( both the OEM and a replacement Wolf Tooth clamp) tightened beyond the recommended maximum torque. This post and frame worked fine together for over 55,000 miles so this is a new problem. I was wondering if the paste would help here.

Camilo 08-01-22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22593787)
Hijacking this thread a bit, do any of the "carbon" assembly pastes work on metal seatposts in a metal frame? I have a Thomson aluminum seatpost in a Litespeed Ti frame that has begun to creep down slightly during a ride even with the seatpost clamp ( both the OEM and a replacement Wolf Tooth clamp) tightened beyond the recommended maximum torque. This post and frame worked fine together for over 55,000 miles so this is a new problem. I was wondering if the paste would help here.

Why not just try it?
And why not start a new thread since it has nothing to do with this one? The forum has infinite capacity for new threads, and a specific thread title for your issue will get you results.

easyupbug 08-01-22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22593787)
... I was wondering if the paste would help here.

Had a similar issue and paste slowed the creep, what stopped it was grease plus valve grinding compound.

NoWhammies 08-01-22 04:34 PM

I decided to go with the FSA stuff in the end. If the manufacturer recommended FSA, who am I to argue? Thanks for all the replies.