Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

ericy 04-06-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21403249)
2 stations by the house are $1.69. A third is $1.59. I drove a mile toward Detroit. Paid $1.47, That's quite the difference. It's even cheaper in the D....but then your in the D. Hard pass.

I haven't bought gas since last October. When I need it, I just plug the car into an outlet in the garage and pay the local utility 10 cents/kWh. But now with nowhere to go, I don't even need to do that.

Last nights exercise in making donuts went sort of OK. The fryer we got from the neighbor didn't work - it couldn't regulate the heat, and the oil never got anywhere near hot enough. So we did it on the stove, but then the oil got too hot. Anyways, we learned something. Not sure what yet. Once the thrift stores open up again, we might look for an electric fry pan - that would do a better job of regulating heat.

Tonight we are having fried chicken using the same oil as we used last night for the donuts.

WhyFi 04-06-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21403420)
Some of you need to disconnect from Strava for a few weeks. WhyFi

They hate us 'cause they ain't us.

Velo Vol 04-06-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21403444)
I haven't bought gas since last October. When I need it, I just plug the car into an outlet in the garage and pay the local utility 10 cents/kWh.

What's your cost per mile?

abshipp 04-06-20 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 21403435)
On the guitar amp front, I built a Princeton Reverb clone maybe a year ago? Modded it a bit and beefed up the power. It's a beast. Completely cured me of amp envy.

:thumb:

What speaker do you have in it?

abshipp 04-06-20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21403440)
I want to wind my own pickups before I start building amp clones

Funny, I think I would probably go the other way :lol:

No real interest in starting, though. My gear-acquisition-syndrome for music stuff is in full remission.

Winding pickups looks like a major PITA to me.

indyfabz 04-06-20 10:45 AM

Our IT head ordered me a printer. He brought it over today unannounced. I was out running errands. Popped into the office to print some stuff. Saw an email saying hed left it on my steps. It was not even in a bag. Fortunately, a certain neighbor took it inside his place, liked I thought he might.

Dude lives maybe 3 miles from me. He could have brought it by another time. Like when I was home.

Trsnrtr 04-06-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21403420)
Some of you need to disconnect from Strava for a few weeks. WhyFi

I've thought the same about Twitter. :rolleyes:

Since you're such an influencer, I deleted it.

big john 04-06-20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21403005)
we've had sub $1.00 at cost co here a couple times in the last week

Saw $3.35 here and heard there was sub $3.00 gas around. Down from $4.50 last summer.

Velo Vol 04-06-20 11:17 AM

Eaglet alert BillyD

ericy 04-06-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21403450)
What's your cost per mile?

Usually get between 4-5 miles/kWh. Closer to 4, especially when the weather is cold. So if I pay the local utility 10 cents/kWh, so the cost is something like 2.5 cents/mile.

Maintenance costs are also much reduced (no oil changes or any of that). Mainly limited to tires, wiper blades, cabin filter, and the occasional front end alignment.

big john 04-06-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21403587)
Usually get between 4-5 miles/kWh. Closer to 4, especially when the weather is cold. So if I pay the local utility 10 cents/kWh, so the cost is something like 2.5 cents/mile.

Maintenance costs are also much reduced (no oil changes or any of that). Mainly limited to tires, wiper blades, cabin filter, and the occasional front end alignment.

What is it?

WhyFi 04-06-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21403587)

My wife is working on some auto industry figures and how current events may be shaping consumer demand. That combined with the car/dealership radio ads with aggressive pricing/financing has her thinking that it may soon be a good time for us to get a new PHEV or all electric car.

ericy 04-06-20 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21403557)

Nice.

We have geese. Lots of them. Noisy buggers too. Sometimes we get hundreds of them in the pond out back - this time of year they are nearly done migrating, but we still see the occasional duck. I have also seen Heron and Egrets. That being said, we saw (and heard) several geese this morning in the tidal flats.

A few months ago, my wife saw a red-tailed fox trotting down the driveway with a small fish in his mouth. We saw that same fox this morning - he was at the edge of the pond looking for more fish.

I have thought about getting a game camera of sorts to see what kind of wild critters come up the driveway - ideally I would want something that could tie into the WiFi at the house, and draw power from the landscape lighting.

ericy 04-06-20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21403594)
What is it?

Hyundai Kona EV. EPA range is something like 258 miles. Kia Niro EV shares some of the drivetrain components, and I think Niro probably has better cargo capacity.

big john 04-06-20 11:53 AM

A guy I worked with had a koi pond and his fish kept disappearing. He thought the dog was eating them so he set up a camera and caught a Blue Heron grabbing the fish. He showed me a pic and the thing looked like a pterodactyl. Huge bird.

WhyFi 04-06-20 11:55 AM

I follow this guy on IG, but since we can't embed IG videos, here's one from twitter. Crazy stuff -

big john 04-06-20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21403632)
Hyundai Kona EV. EPA range is something like 258 miles. Kia Niro EV shares some of the drivetrain components, and I think Niro probably has better cargo capacity.

A friend just got one for his 55 mile (each way) commute. He has a charge station at home and at work, recently returned a Honda Fit EV after the lease ran out (they don't sell them).

LAJ 04-06-20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21403639)
I follow this guy on IG, but since we can't embed IG videos, here's one from twitter. Crazy stuff -

https://twitter.com/BR_Nation/status...05271980912640

People don't give bakers, chocolatiers and pastry chefs their due. "Anyone" can follow a recipe, and that's what many cooks think a baker does.

WalksOn2Wheels 04-06-20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21403440)
I want to wind my own pickups before I start building amp clones, but Princeton reverb is definitely on the list. Did you source the parts yourself or went the kit route?

Mostly a kit from mojotone. Purchased in such a way to get a custom cab and speaker. But ended up modding and swapping out the power and output transformers.

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21403462)
:thumb:

What speaker do you have in it?

12 inch Celestion Greenback

WhyFi 04-06-20 12:08 PM

Yup, now I'm hungry.

big john 04-06-20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21403663)
People don't give bakers, chocolatiers and pastry chefs their due. "Anyone" can follow a recipe, and that's what many cooks think a baker does.

That guy is an artist.

WhyFi 04-06-20 12:09 PM

Last one, I swear.

WalksOn2Wheels 04-06-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21403634)
A guy I worked with had a koi pond and his fish kept disappearing. He thought the dog was eating them so he set up a camera and caught a Blue Heron grabbing the fish. He showed me a pic and the thing looked like a pterodactyl. Huge bird.

That's totally a thing. When I was looking into doing some Japanese garden stuff in my backyard (Yeah right, I can barely finish my patio and the grass is out of control) there were specific recommendations about making sure the lowest point was deep enough to keep away from birds.

JackieYan 04-06-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21399546)
Microwave popcorn sucks.

You're eating it wrong, you don't need a straw.

LAJ 04-06-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21403671)
That guy is an artist.

Absolutely