Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Velo Vol 02-22-22 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jswbiki (Post 22417829)
E-cars keep exploding. Don't trust them!

I don't trust ebikes.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22417857)
I believe that Vitamin D is quite hyped lately and possibly over-hyped. It's not even a vitamin, it's a hormone. Low levels are clearly associated with poor health, but the evidence that treating people with poor health by giving them Vitamin D really helps is quite limited.

My witch doctor once prescribed me high-dosage D for my bones. What have you to say about that?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22417886)
The Ducks don't play them this season, but they do play UofA.

I wanted the Sun Devils' schedule, not the Ducks.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22417990)
Bad-sounding record day.

Fixed.

Mojo31 02-22-22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22418101)
Is she still a nurses aide?

She's in the pokey. Eligible for parole in 2027 or so. You need an aide?

seedsbelize2 02-22-22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22418101)
Is she still a nurses aide?

I believe she is now a federal prisoner

genejockey 02-22-22 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22418072)
Checks to see what the cholesterol level of his no-bake cheesecake recipe might be.....

......Silently closes the recipe file.

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

LAJ 02-22-22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22418161)
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

I was just making sure I was getting the proper dose.

genejockey 02-22-22 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22418164)
I was just making sure I was getting the proper dose.

I won "Hypertension" in the family genetic lottery, along with "Anxiety", but that's better than my brother, who won the "Lousy Lipid Metabolism".

big john 02-22-22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418064)
This musician is a little sexier than the Chipmunks. Perhaps even sexier than Dave.

So, who is it?

datlas 02-22-22 05:17 PM

We are leaving for LA tomorrow, in part to get a break from winter.

Tomorrow’s high in PA: 64
Tomorrow’s high in LA: 58

Phooey.

datlas 02-22-22 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22418135)

My witch doctor once prescribed me high-dosage D for my bones. What have you to say about that?

Google “evidence that Vitamin D supplementation reduces fracture risk in community dwellers” you will find zero evidence. Only studies of nursing home residents shows benefits.

Velo Vol 02-22-22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418209)
Google “evidence that Vitamin D supplementation reduces fracture risk in community dwellers” you will find zero evidence. Only studies of nursing home residents shows benefits.

Community dwellers? wut community

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ff5b42ab6b.png

genejockey 02-22-22 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418209)

So.... doesn't that suggest that it actually DOES work for those whose age/lifestyle/genetics/other underlying conditions may predispose them to low bone density? So, while it may not help the normal person, who ever said VV was normal? ;)

datlas 02-22-22 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22418223)
So.... doesn't that suggest that it actually DOES work for those whose age/lifestyle/genetics/other underlying conditions may predispose them to low bone density? So, while it may not help the normal person, who ever said VV was normal? ;)

I will concede the point.

datlas 02-22-22 05:32 PM

My friend from SanFran is suggesting that instead of climbing Baldy which will be cold on Thursday, we should drive to Santa Barbara and climb Gibraltar instead.

Thoughts??

Velo Vol 02-22-22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22418223)

By normal you mean one not taking daily steroids and other voodoo drugs.

genejockey 02-22-22 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22418236)
By normal you mean one not taking daily steroids and other voodoo drugs.

RA by itself is a significant risk factor for osteoporosis. So is long term prednisone use. Worth noting, though that it may be that Vitamin D without calcium supplements is not effective.

big john 02-22-22 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418228)
My friend from SanFran is suggesting that instead of climbing Baldy which will be cold on Thursday, we should drive to Santa Barbara and climb Gibraltar instead.

Thoughts??

I told my friend on today's ride and she suggested Gibraltar. Lot more driving and a harder climb but it will be warmer. We rode in the Santa Clarita valley today and it was in the 50s and pretty windy.

datlas 02-22-22 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22418260)
I told my friend on today's ride and she suggested Gibraltar. Lot more driving and a harder climb but it will be warmer. We rode in the Santa Clarita valley today and it was in the 50s and pretty windy.

I may try that or just do Mt Wilson with him. Temps should be warming up in a few days, so I definitely want to do Mt Wilson sometime in the next week.

Mojo31 02-22-22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22418157)
I believe she is now a federal prisoner

State pen.

big john 02-22-22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418267)
I may try that or just do Mt Wilson with him. Temps should be warming up in a few days, so I definitely want to do Mt Wilson sometime in the next week.

Wilson is actually higher than Baldy village (5400 feet) and the last 5 miles is possibly closed. There is the chance of rain and snow yet from the current weather system.

Here is a useful site. Road Closures Website (lacounty.gov)
It says GMR and GRR are still closed by rockslides. I thought that would be cleaned up by now. I think some friends have been up to Baldy recently. I will try to find out.

BillyD 02-22-22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418206)
We are leaving for LA tomorrow, in part to get a break from winter.

Tomorrow’s high in PA: 64
Tomorrow’s high in LA: 58

Phooey.

It’ll pay off by the weekend. :thumb:

big john 02-22-22 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418267)

I wrote to Biker395 because he has been on Baldy recently. I asked about Baldy, Wilson, and Gibraltar. His response:

"All three would be awesome. Gibraltar is would probably be a bit warmer and snow/ice free, but I think any of the three would work. GMR is closed because a section of road along a curve got washed out and 1/2 of the NB land lane is gone. They were working on it a couple of weeks ago, but it was still open for cycling."

I also asked on another site used by cyclists and so far the response has been to point out the mid 30s temps and possible snow on Badly and Wilson.

Mojo31 02-22-22 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22418202)
So, who is it?

Caro Emerald.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...617349a73.jpeg

Alvin

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af465db19f.png

datlas 02-22-22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22418298)
I wrote to Biker395 because he has been on Baldy recently. I asked about Baldy, Wilson, and Gibraltar. His response:

"All three would be awesome. Gibraltar is would probably be a bit warmer and snow/ice free, but I think any of the three would work. GMR is closed because a section of road along a curve got washed out and 1/2 of the NB land lane is gone. They were working on it a couple of weeks ago, but it was still open for cycling."

I also asked on another site used by cyclists and so far the response has been to point out the mid 30s temps and possible snow on Badly and Wilson.

Thanks for the info. I don’t really mind a hill climb that ends up in the 30’s as long as the roads are safe.

big john 02-22-22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418316)
Thanks for the info. I don’t really mind a hill climb that ends up in the 30’s as long as the roads are safe.

Another friend who rides these mountains says there is ice on Mt Wilson road and GRR going to Baldy. Mt Wilson road is in the shade for a lot of it and ice tends to stay there. GRR has a bit of shade near the top which can be icy.
Gibraltar would be a safer bet or you could do a nice, tough ride in the Santa Monicas. Or you could do that ride I linked where it goes over Mill Creek and back on Little Tujunga.

datlas 02-22-22 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22418326)
Another friend who rides these mountains says there is ice on Mt Wilson road and GRR going to Baldy. Mt Wilson road is in the shade for a lot of it and ice tends to stay there. GRR has a bit of shade near the top which can be icy.
Gibraltar would be a safer bet or you could do a nice, tough ride in the Santa Monicas. Or you could do that ride I linked where it goes over Mill Creek and back on Little Tujunga.

Ice?? :twitchy:

Maybe I should stick to doing circuits around the Rose Bowl!