Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

spclark 07-27-23 11:37 AM

Any way to put sealant in a non-removable core Presta tube?

The five tires I have (three Vittorias unused from maybe twelve, thirteen years ago) all have fixed cores. I was hoping to add some sealant before getting too far from home on this half-century old Motobecane I've just refurbished. Prospect of a recurring flat or two, even if I carry a couple of spares, isn't an attractive one.

smontanaro 07-27-23 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 22965809)
Can I use the inner tube of an old unrideable sew-up as a patch source for latex patch?

I suspect so, but don't know. I've been told a plain old buyl patch kit will do the trick. I've yet to try. What glue would you use for a latex-to-latex patch?

JohnDThompson 07-27-23 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by spclark (Post 22965908)
Any way to put sealant in a non-removable core Presta tube?

Yes. A syrigine with a section of aquarium tubing will fit over the valve stem. It can be a bit tricky holding the valve open (I use needle-nose pliers over the tubing to grip the knurled nut through the tubing), and often is a little messy, but it can be done.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0d795d69b0.jpg
Otherwise, Velox makes a pressurized inflator with a sealant, and a Shrader-to-presta adaptor:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57362e5f6f.jpg

gaucho777 07-27-23 03:08 PM

[MENTION=20548]JohnDThompson[/MENTION] That’s a good tip with the tubing. I have a little squirt “syringe” (not sure what to call it) I picked up somewhere. It’s got a small tube that just fits inside the gap once you open up the valve. You can squirt in some sealant this way, but you have to go slow. I use a rag around the base of the valve to catch any spill-over.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e9fe0ddca.jpeg

(This thing currently has a bit of oil in it, but I’ve used it with sealant, too. I just took this photo for demonstration purposes.)

JohnDThompson 07-27-23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gaucho777 (Post 22966145)
[MENTION=20548]JohnDThompson[/MENTION] Thatís a good tip with the tubing. I have a little squirt ďsyringeĒ (not sure what to call it) I picked up somewhere.

"Precision oiler"
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=precision...f=nb_sb_noss_1

gaucho777 07-27-23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 22965809)
Can I use the inner tube of an old unrideable sew-up as a patch source for latex patch?

Iíve never had any problems using regular patch kits on latex tubular repairs.

Aardwolf 07-27-23 03:16 PM

Orange Seal has an option to get an injector top - aquarium tube type thingy.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...531f5c1d97.jpg
It unscrews at the cap which makes putting the tube on easier.

79pmooney 07-27-23 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aardwolf (Post 22966160)
Orange Seal has an option to get an injector top - aquarium tube type thingy.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...531f5c1d97.jpg
It unscrews at the cap which makes putting the tube on easier.

So if we ever have internal bleeding, we just inject some of that Orange Seal and let it go to work? (I like that Orange Seal but so far, I've only used it in tubulars.)

gaucho777 07-27-23 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by SwimmerMike (Post 22925791)
Not training tubulars, but a killer deal on tubulars that are in your size range.

excel sports has twin packs of either Victoria Corsa Control G2.0 or Victoria Corsa G2.0 for $89 for the pair so $44.50 each.The Corsa controls go up to 30's.

Mike

Thanks for the tip, Mike! That’s a good price. I picked up a pair of the 28 mm in tanwall. Only 3 pairs left after I ordered.

Btw, I did confirm with Excel Sports that these are in fact glue-on tubulars. This, despite the fact the copy description says they can be used with either butyl or latex tubes. Their service rep said that some of the copy is being written by chatGPT (artificial unintelligence) which occasionally leads to errors like this.

spclark 07-27-23 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 22966125)
Yes. A syrigine with a section of aquarium tubing will fit over the valve stem.

Thanks JDT!

That's exACTly what I was envisioning while looking at a bottle of Orange Seal in my LBS store Tuesday while a couple of the local Wrenches were telling me the valve stems had to come out and both of 'em searching for a little plastic thingy used to unscrew the removable ones.

Piece'o'cake!

Shoulda bought the bottle while I was there... neither one of 'em is old enough to know tubulars are worth the effort.

Fredo76 07-27-23 05:16 PM

+1 on Vittoria Corsa Control Graphene 2.0 tubulars, and thanks for the excel sports tip - bought another two on sale just now.

MooneyBloke 07-27-23 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22965987)
I suspect so, but don't know. I've been told a plain old buyl patch kit will do the trick. I've yet to try. What glue would you use for a latex-to-latex patch?

I've used TruFlate universal rubber cement from my local auto parts store. Before that, I wash the patch to get rid of talc, and prep both surfaces with naphtha. (Zippo fluid)

SJX426 07-28-23 05:55 AM

Wouldn't liquid latex work?

Discovered I have two more tires up on the rack.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...91e2a06_4k.jpg2023-02-02_06-40-07 on Flickr

Glued it up in less than 10 minutes, mayb even 5.
Work glove dipped in glue, avoid stings, and apply.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f9f26695_b.jpgVitCorsaG23x700 on Flickr

Biker Pete 07-28-23 08:01 AM

I recently took my 1975 Motobecane Grand Record out of mothballs (it had been in storage in my basement for about 30 years!). Of course the tires and rim glue were all dried out and useless. I cleaned up the entire bike and got new tubular tires and a first for me, rim tape. Iíve ridden the bike about 250 miles and during that time Iíve had one flat on the rear tire. The tires I put on were Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0. I replaced the punctured rear tire with a Continental Giro. Iíve used Tufo gluing tape. The Continental has two major advantages imo. First, it is about half the price of the Vittoria and second, the Vittoria loses a substantial amount of air overnight whereas the Continental holds air for weeks. Two thumbs up for the Continental!

SJX426 07-28-23 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Biker Pete (Post 22966653)
I second, the Vittoria loses a substantial amount of air overnight l!

It uses a latex tube which is lighter, lower rolling resistance and looses air overnight. Higher quality tubulars use latex tubes.
loosing air overnight, maybe less than half the pressure, is to be expected.

The Corsa G+ family of tires are the best from my limited experience. They run better at higher pressures like 125/130 psi.

Biker Pete 07-28-23 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 22966742)
It uses a latex tube which is lighter, lower rolling resistance and looses air overnight. Higher quality tubulars use latex tubes.

The Corsa G+ family of tires are the best from my limited experience. They run better at higher pressures like 125/130 psi.

Yes, the loss of air pressure overnight is what I was used to from riding the bike 30 years ago. So it was a pleasant surprise with the Continental! :)

spclark 07-28-23 11:36 AM

Funny That...

Originally Posted by Biker Pete (Post 22966803)
So it was a pleasant surprise with the Continental! :)

Two GR's out of (semi) retirement this month, woohoo!

My rear's also a Conti Giro, front's a Vit-something, as are the three spares in reserve.

Ordered up some WTB sealant this AM, bring some peace of mind when out & about far from
home🫣

MooneyBloke 07-29-23 01:07 AM

Today grabbing a bike, I found my rear fully flat though it was fully inflated the previous day and didn't feel mushy during any of the ride. When I pumped it back up, there were no tell-tale air sounds, and brushing with soapy water revealed nothing. Added some Stan's, blew the tire up, spun it round, and I guess I'll see if it holds. (Sigh!)

Aardwolf 07-29-23 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Biker Pete (Post 22966653)
I recently took my 1975 Motobecane Grand Record out of mothballs (it had been in storage in my basement for about 30 years!). Of course the tires and rim glue were all dried out and useless. I cleaned up the entire bike and got new tubular tires and a first for me, rim tape. Iíve ridden the bike about 250 miles and during that time Iíve had one flat on the rear tire. The tires I put on were Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0. I replaced the punctured rear tire with a Continental Giro. Iíve used Tufo gluing tape. The Continental has two major advantages imo. First, it is about half the price of the Vittoria and second, the Vittoria loses a substantial amount of air overnight whereas the Continental holds air for weeks. Two thumbs up for the Continental!

Vittoria Rubino Pro has butyl tubes, they stay up for weeks.

brewerkz 07-30-23 01:31 PM

Tire size limit for 19 mm wide rims

I picked up a wheelset with Mavic Mach 2 CD 2 rims, the rim width is 19 mm (outside wall to wall), can I run 700 x 25 tires ?

spclark 07-30-23 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by brewerkz (Post 22968629)
I picked up a wheelset with Mavic Mach 2 CD 2 rims, the rim width is 19 mm (outside wall to wall), can I run 700 x 25 tires ?

I'd have to think so, in that the tires would only be 3mm wider than the outside of the rims, but I'm certainly no expert in this area? What tires have you been running on the bike you're going to fit the Mach 2 CD 2 rims to? Been running 700 rims on it too?

Classtime 07-31-23 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by brewerkz (Post 22968629)

Sure you can. Go wider if youíd like. The only compatibility issues Iíve encountered is trying to use 25s on newer wider rims like Major Toms.

brewerkz 08-06-23 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by spclark (Post 22968738)
I'd have to think so, in that the tires would only be 3mm wider than the outside of the rims, but I'm certainly no expert in this area? What tires have you been running on the bike you're going to fit the Mach 2 CD 2 rims to? Been running 700 rims on it too?

Picked up a Schwinn Paramount with a component mess installed. Picked up a NOS Dura Ace/Mavic wheelset. Agree, 25 shouldnt be an issue.

Classtime 08-07-23 11:04 AM

The Margin of Safety

I wouldnít attempt 5,000ft of climbing over 50 miles on clinchers that looks like these:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6e979bf6.jpeg
Time for new tires.

79pmooney 08-07-23 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 22966742)

Huge fan of those G+ tires! The pair I put on new for last fall's Cycle Oregon - each found a goathead and got 2 oz Bontranger latex from the CO mechanics. Another 2 oz of Orange seal. Rode 'em yesterday and they were wonderful! Any pressure works. Mine are Rolls Royce 28s. Rode yesterday in the low 80s psi. ( need to sit down and total the mileage those tires have, It's not huge but well over 1000. (Half in the 7 days of CO alone.) I've done nothing but put sealant in twice and pump them.

Another plus - the ride! They roll nice. They grip. They inspire complete confidence. They are as straight and even as any tubular I have ever owned and that includes the silks used to race.