Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Did you know chocolate is good for you? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1283292)

late 11-03-23 12:19 PM

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Chocolate is almost a superfood, it's really good for you. But sugar kills.

So what's a guy to do?

Here's what I did, Trader Joes has a pound dark chocolate bar for $5.99, which is a steal. It's supposedly 85%, but it I suspect the real number is 70-75% chocolate.

I got 2 bars of Bakers unsweetened baking chocolate and melted them with the TJ bar. I add a scant tblsp of SugarRX, which is an artificial sweetener. I almost always use the hazelnut flavor.

After everything was mixed, I lined an 11 inch pan with aluminum foil, and chilled it.

The result was delicious, despite being about 90% chocolate, it wasn't bitter, and the liquid sweetener made the bars soft, melt in your mouth.

At my grocery store, a bottle is 7 bucks, on the internet, it's close to twice that. Shouldn't be hard to find.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cbf386a83a.jpg

SW84 11-03-23 12:24 PM

White chocolate peanut butter cups or nothing.

late 11-03-23 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SW84 (Post 23060780)

White chocolate peanut butter cups or nothing.

White chocolate is just the fat extracted from chocolate. It's not actually chocolate..

SW84 11-03-23 12:36 PM

I identify it as chocolate so it is.

PeteHski 11-03-23 12:42 PM

Yeah, I've known this for quite a while. ZOE Nutrition very recently commented on this, but I haven't read the full article yet. I think they said dark chocolate above 70% counts as one of your 30 per week healthy plants. Our Supermarket sells a high quality organic 75% chocolate bar with added ginger and turmeric, which tastes great.

prj71 11-03-23 12:44 PM

I just buy these.

https://www.lindtusa.com/85-percent-...nce-bar-392851

pdlamb 11-03-23 01:01 PM

Chocolate is kinda like coffee. If you enjoy either more because the latest study indicates it's healthy to consume, better enjoy it this week. 'Cause another study is coming out next week with the opposite conclusion.

late 11-03-23 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 23060813)

Chocolate is kinda like coffee. If you enjoy either more because the latest study indicates it's healthy to consume, better enjoy it this week. 'Cause another study is coming out next week with the opposite conclusion.

It's a process, we slowly learn, and improve what we know. What makes it confusing is that popular media doesn't take the time to add the context needed to assess the new information in light of the previous work.

dmanthree 11-03-23 06:33 PM

Yeah, no. White chocolate is made from the fat extracted from cocoa beans but without some manufacturing steps. So it is chocolate.

dmanthree 11-03-23 06:34 PM

If any of you subscribe to Consumer Reports they did quite a job on analyzing dark chocolate. Turns out some of them, like Hershey's Special Dark contain significant quantities of lead.

wolfchild 11-03-23 07:29 PM

I eat regular Cadbury Milk Chocolate bar as a snack almost daily, good enough for me. Yes I know it has more sugar than dark chocolate, but so what ?..I also bring chocolate milk on my bike rides.

late 11-03-23 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dmanthree (Post 23061130)

Yeah, no. White chocolate is made from the fat extracted from cocoa beans but without some manufacturing steps. So it is chocolate.

It's just fat.

rsbob 11-03-23 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dmanthree (Post 23061132)
If any of you subscribe to Consumer Reports they did quite a job on analyzing dark chocolate. Turns out some of them, like Hershey's Special Dark contain significant quantities of lead.

and cadmium. Most dark chocolate in the market contain heavy metals. Read up on your faves to see if they are on ‘the list’.

jadmt 11-03-23 08:52 PM

https://www.yuengling.com/our-beer/y...colate-porter/ Beer is good chocolate is good great combination. I have for years ate snickers bars and drank beer together.

SW84 11-03-23 08:58 PM

:eek:

spelger 11-03-23 10:23 PM

Beer goes with everything, i have it with icecream, pies, burgers, cakes, spegeiiteh (no idea how to spell that).

rowerek 11-04-23 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by dmanthree (Post 23061132)

That would explain why last time when I was biking I felt so heavy and sluggish.
;)

Kabuki12 11-04-23 07:44 AM

Moderation is the key to any indulgence. Coffee , chocolate, or others.

mixteup 11-04-23 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 23061252)
https://www.yuengling.com/our-beer/y...colate-porter/ Beer is good chocolate is good great combination. I have for years ate snickers bars and drank beer together.

This !
Only sold during holiday season - It doesn't keep well, so drink it while you can :~)

jadmt 11-04-23 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mixteup (Post 23061478)
This !
Only sold during holiday season - It doesn't keep well, so drink it while you can :~)

unfortunately I can not even get it here. I have tried.

jadmt 11-04-23 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kabuki12 (Post 23061425)
Moderation is the key to any indulgence. Coffee , chocolate, or others.

crap I have always thought it was Indulgence is the key to moderation...no wonder I can get rid of my gut...

SW84 11-04-23 09:53 AM

I'm curious what the government says about chocolate, because they're here to help. 😉

wolfchild 11-04-23 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by late (Post 23060775)
Chocolate is almost a superfood, it's really good for you. But sugar kills.

I wouldn't go so far as to call chocolate a superfood, there are no superfoods out there, everything is just food...Chocolate is more of an exotic treat, eat it for pleasure...I enjoy chocolate for it's taste, I don't eat chocolate because I think that it will turn me into superhuman....As for sugar killing people, not really. Excessive sugar consumption is harmful, but using sugar in a smart responsible way isn't all that bad. Remember that every type of carbohydrate which you consume turns into sugar inside your body. If sugar was so deadly we would all become extinct.

late 11-04-23 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 23061804)

I wouldn't go so far as to call chocolate a superfood, there are no superfoods out there, everything is just food...Chocolate is more of an exotic treat, eat it for pleasure...I enjoy chocolate for it's taste, I don't eat chocolate because I think that it will turn me into superhuman....As for sugar killing people, not really. Excessive sugar consumption is harmful, but using sugar in a smart responsible way isn't all that bad. Remember that every type of carbohydrate which you consume turns into sugar inside your body. If sugar was so deadly we would all become extinct.

"After following the participants for 3.6 years, the researchers found that while — when compared with the placebo group — the cocoa supplement group was not statistically less likely to have cardiovascular events including heart attacks and strokes, they did have a 27 percent reduction in cardiovascular deaths. Dr. Manson called these results “promising signals for heart protection,” though she emphasized that another trial is needed to confirm the findings before translating them into recommendations for cocoa flavanol intake."
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/12/w...-benefits.html

MinnMan 11-04-23 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23061250)
and cadmium. Most dark chocolate in the market contain heavy metals. Read up on your faves to see if they are on ‘the list’.

The way CR reported it, one would think that high lead and cadmium come from one brand and not another. But the source isn't the manufacturing process - it's that cocoa plants leach heavy metals from the soil from which they are grown. Assuming that a particular "brand" sources cocoa beans from an array of places, the "bad" brands likely had recently purchased beans from places with more metals in the soil. It doesn't mean that that brand is always high in metals, or that the "good" ones (low lead, low cadmium in the CR tests) stay "good".

so it's hard to know which brand is "better". It's also hard to know whether the levels of lead and cadmium outweigh the benefits of dark chocolate. For older people, the risks are probably less than for children or for women of reproductive age..