Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

SwtBadger 07-09-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21577810)

Yikes, that is one packed garden. Is that corn? If so you can't have too many stalks in that jungle. I'm surprised it pollinated, almost always multiple rows are recommended for it to pollinate.

Still waiting for my tomatoes to ripen….seems like its been weeks,

WhyFi 07-09-20 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21578008)
Yikes, that is one packed garden. Is that corn? If so you can't have too many stalks in that jungle. I'm surprised it pollinated, almost always multiple rows are recommended for it to pollinate.

Still waiting for my tomatoes to ripen….seems like its been weeks,

Yeah, the wife is thinking that she went a little overboard, and this is after removing some cucumber and tomato plants. And yes, that's corn - there's four stalks in there.

phrantic09 07-09-20 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21577967)
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3693529268

It so is. That Turn 1 hill is legit. The surface is rougher than you think though.

Have you gone to a GP there? I find F1 to be so fascinating.

BillyD 07-09-20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21577838)
"We stopped the world for you and your at-risk group, so the least you can do is respect those actions, and put a mask on. Now get the **** away from me before I punch you in the throat."

I figure a kind and gentle approach works the best.

This message is endorsed by the MAA - moderators association of America.

WhyFi 07-09-20 11:36 AM

Wow. Looks like some of the deals at Merlin aren't going to be quite as good anymore - their free shipping threshold to the US is now $325 :twitchy:

I tried to buy a couple base layers and the shipping was $25+

Bah Humbug 07-09-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21578083)
Have you gone to a GP there? I find F1 to be so fascinating.

No - as psyched as I was to be moving here while the track was built, F1 became a lot less interesting right about that same time. :-/

I miss the V10s, refueling, and one-lap qualy.

noodle soup 07-09-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21578179)
Wow. Looks like some of the deals at Merlin aren't going to be quite as good anymore - their free shipping threshold to the US is now $325 :twitchy:

Yeah, but their shipping is now DHL Express, so you'll get your stuff in 3-4 days. It used to take 2 weeks for their free shipping.

WhyFi 07-09-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21578187)
Yeah, but their shipping is now DHL Express, so you'll get your stuff in 3-4 days. It used to take 2 weeks for their free shipping.

I usually got stuff in under a week, but I often ordered well ahead of the time that I'd need it, anyway. For some things, total price may still be compelling, but my average order was typically in the $100-200, so that extra $20+ makes a significant difference.

phrantic09 07-09-20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578186)
No - as psyched as I was to be moving here while the track was built, F1 became a lot less interesting right about that same time. :-/

I’ve never been to a race, watch some on TV when I get the chance but not often. Netflix has a great series on F1 that has really captured my attention the past two seasons.

The technical aspect of the cars is what amazes me, they’re getting 1000HP out of a 1.6L engine and fly around a lot of those tracks.

WhyFi 07-09-20 12:37 PM

On the local FB cycling page, someone was asking about riding a series of MUPs in the city. I love this answer -

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e03fd81f81.jpg
31 miles! Hit up the donut shop!!! :lol:

seedsbelize 07-09-20 12:54 PM

I like your gardening style

datlas 07-09-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21578297)
On the local FB cycling page, someone was asking about riding a series of MUPs in the city. I love this answer -

That's only for a serious cyclist.

big john 07-09-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21578296)
I’ve never been to a race, watch some on TV when I get the chance but not often. Netflix has a great series on F1 that has really captured my attention the past two seasons.

The technical aspect of the cars is what amazes me, they’re getting 1000HP out of a 1.6L engine and fly around a lot of those tracks.

That 1000 hp includes the electric motor, as these cars are hybrids. The engine alone is around 750-850,, depending on who you believe.

I read a story done by Yamaha, I think, where they decided the theoretical limit is about 1000 hp per liter of displacement. These test engines weren't practical and only ran in a very narrow rpm range

Top fuel dragsters are supposed to be as high as 11,000 hp @ 9.5 liters. So not too far off of the old Yamaha study. That's with nitro fuel and 63psi of boost.

rjones28 07-09-20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21578297)

Well, duh. Of course.

datlas 07-09-20 01:54 PM

There is a useful site to monitor covid-19 by state. Tennessee just turned red.

Velo Vol

https://covidactnow.org/

WhyFi 07-09-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21578324)
I like your gardening style

I only put together the box and hauled the soil; the wife, the kids and (I believe) Pinterest are responsible for everything else.

WhyFi 07-09-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21578339)
That's only for a serious cyclist.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21578400)
Well, duh. Of course.

They do have some good donut holes. :innocent:

berner 07-09-20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21578017)
Yeah, the wife is thinking that she went a little overboard, and this is after removing some cucumber and tomato plants. And yes, that's corn - there's four stalks in there.

For those discerning people who care about these things, the best sweet corn in America is to be found in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, minutes from where I sit. Especially when smothered in Irish or Maine farm butter.

datlas 07-09-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21578551)
For those discerning people who care about these things, the best sweet corn in America is to be found in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, minutes from where I sit. Especially when smothered in Irish or Maine farm butter.

You sure? Jersey corn is pretty damn good too.

LesterOfPuppets 07-09-20 03:30 PM

I was always pretty happy with the sweet corn in Oregon. Dunno if we have any here in AZ.

noodle soup 07-09-20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21578578)
I was always pretty happy with the sweet corn in Oregon. Dunno if we have any here in AZ.

buttah and sugar corn.

I really miss it.

berner 07-09-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21578557)
You sure? Jersey corn is pretty damn good too.

Jersey grows corn? I thought it was the blue berry state. Sidebar story: I was on an overnight hike on a remote trail in New Hampshire. Suddenly the foliage opened up to a nice but very small clearing that was full of perfectly ripe blue berries. Wow, I thought, as I began gorging on this gift. Well before I'd had my fill, it dawned on me that this was ideal bear habitat so I got out of there fast.

Bah Humbug 07-09-20 03:44 PM

We're at 512 pages - when does THE END come, these days?

These being the end days, obviously.

MoAlpha 07-09-20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21578551)

Perfect accompaniment to a sweet lobster, a bucket of steamers, and a bottle of too-cold Muscadet.

kissTheApex 07-09-20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21578179)

Schuks! That’s a steep increase from the days of $67 and 3-4 days (to the east coast) :eek:

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578186)

yeah, a friend has been to V10 and the new era races told me he was able to carry a conversation with the person next to him when cars are whizzing by on the main straight at COTA. :bang:

a return to V12s would be my wildest F1 dream :50: Don’t get me wrong, the engineering involved with the current era engines is beyond measure, we’re at the edge of getting 55% efficiency out of internal combustion engines, but the sound of V12s is what I’ve always associated F1 with...

phrantic09 , check f1tv.formula1.com. Of course races are no spectators and all, but still might be of interest if you like to watch the season (which just got underway last weekend)