Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

berner 07-09-20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21578619)
Perfect accompaniment to a sweet lobster, a bucket of steamers, and a bottle of too-cold Muscadet.

Aw man. Now you've done it. I was perfectly satisfied with my plans for the evening until your post.

kissTheApex 07-09-20 03:55 PM

Never knew “sweet” corn existed till I came to the US :o. The type I grew up with is almost imperceptibly to the “salty” side of neutral.

PS: So are peas btw.

Bah Humbug 07-09-20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21578631)
yeah, a friend has been to V10 and the new era races told me he was able to carry a conversation with the person next to him when cars are whizzing by on the main straight at COTA. :bang:

a return to V12s would be my wildest F1 dream :50: Don’t get me wrong, the engineering involved with the current era engines is beyond measure, we’re at the edge of getting 55% efficiency out of internal combustion engines, but the sound of V12s is what I’ve always associated F1 with...

phrantic09 , check f1tv.formula1.com. Of course races are no spectators and all, but still might be of interest if you like to watch the season (which just got underway last weekend)

Not just the engine noise (I came in during the V10 era, so I have no idea what the V12s sounded like), but the racing. Back when there wasn't this nonsense about fuel flow and six-race engines or whatever they're up to and they would chase each other nose-to-gearbox the whole way.

gnome 07-09-20 04:29 PM

Nice frosty day here. Of course I forgot my overshoes so my toes froze on the commute to work. still it is better than riding in the cold rain of earlier in the week.

rjones28 07-09-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21578551)
For those discerning people who care about these things, the best sweet corn in America is to be found in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, minutes from where I sit. Especially when smothered in Irish or Maine farm butter.

Incorrect. It's in Chittenango, New York, minutes from where I sit. :)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7f0947aa11.jpg

rjones28 07-09-20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21578557)
You sure? Jersey corn is pretty damn good too.

Jersey corn is "okay".

rjones28 07-09-20 04:55 PM

Attn Velo Vol :

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...13dd2bc81c.jpg

Bah Humbug 07-09-20 05:01 PM

Corn is just chicken feed anyway; I don't know why any human would eat the stuff.

rjones28 07-09-20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578747)
Corn is just chicken feed anyway; I don't know why any human would eat the stuff.

Sweet corn goes great with barbeque chicken.

LAJ 07-09-20 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578649)
Not just the engine noise (I came in during the V10 era, so I have no idea what the V12s sounded like), but the racing. Back when there wasn't this nonsense about fuel flow and six-race engines or whatever they're up to and they would chase each other nose-to-gearbox the whole way.

The coolest thing about the fuel flow dealio was how they then got busted for burning oil as fuel. The officials weren't "positive" that was going on, but they knew it was.... A stern warning was issued, as well as oil capacity regulations. Those F1 engineers are pretty dang good.

Pirkaus 07-09-20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21578588)
buttah and sugar corn.

I really miss it.

fire roasted over red hot lump charcoal 😋

Bah Humbug 07-09-20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21578760)
Sweet corn goes great with barbeque chicken.

But why eat chicken when there's good meat like beef and bison?

rjones28 07-09-20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578858)

Variety.

Last cut Mrs. rjones28 prepared was pork shoulder. We did not have corn on the side.

Velo Vol 07-09-20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21578421)
There is a useful site to monitor covid-19 by state. Tennessee just turned red.

Velo Vol

https://covidactnow.org/

I'm avoiding people as much as possible.

Basically like I normally do.

Velo Vol 07-09-20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 21578690)
Nice frosty day here. Of course I forgot my overshoes so my toes froze on the commute to work. still it is better than riding in the cold rain of earlier in the week.

I feel you, gnome .

I'll be doing the same in a few weeks.

big john 07-09-20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21578631)
Schuks! That’s a steep increase from the days of $67 and 3-4 days (to the east coast) :eek:

yeah, a friend has been to V10 and the new era races told me he was able to carry a conversation with the person next to him when cars are whizzing by on the main straight at COTA. :bang:

a return to V12s would be my wildest F1 dream :50: Don’t get me wrong, the engineering involved with the current era engines is beyond measure, we’re at the edge of getting 55% efficiency out of internal combustion engines, but the sound of V12s is what I’ve always associated F1 with

LesterOfPuppets 07-09-20 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21578880)
Variety.

Last cut Mrs. rjones28 prepared was pork shoulder. We did not have corn on the side.

We had a pork roast for dinner. Rosemary Yukon golds and broccoli salad.

Velo Vol 07-09-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21578733)
Attn Velo Vol :

Headed NW, to the border? I don't think you'll be allowed across.

kissTheApex 07-09-20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578649)

I was lucky, I caught the bug towards the end of the 3.5 lt formula which had V8S, V10s and V12s on the track all at the same time, no tire warmers nor high noses. Then came the 3 liter formula, and the mandated v10s and so on and so forth. Should’ve known, once they started mandated cylinder/engine layout, it started slowly going downhill.

I hate to admit it but in pure racing terms, endurance racing became better :(. Of course FIA effed us and sold the TV rights to a Canadian broadcaster, so yearly subscription to WEC app and watching it through it doesn’t work anymore. :notamused:

big john 07-09-20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21578822)
The coolest thing about the fuel flow dealio was how they then got busted for burning oil as fuel. The officials weren't "positive" that was going on, but they knew it was.... A stern warning was issued, as well as oil capacity regulations. Those F1 engineers are pretty dang good.

That's crazy, I hadn't heard heard about that.

Ever see a diesel engine "run away"? They'll scream without fuel, running on crankcase oil. My friend burned down a new Oldsmobile years ago.

kissTheApex 07-09-20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21578975)

Never could get into it for some reason. Always been an open wheel racing fan.

LAJ 07-09-20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21579008)

Ever see a diesel engine "run away"? They'll scream without fuel, running on crankcase oil. My friend burned down a new Oldsmobile years ago.

Yep. Only thing one can do is let er rip, or try and smother it. Smart people walk away and film it from a distance.

kissTheApex 07-09-20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21579008)

Yeah, special formulated engine oil was leaking into the cylinders somehow. :innocent: :roflmao2:

LAJ 07-09-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21578975)

Love Top Fuel, though the Mile High Nationals are likely in trouble this year. Bandimere had the Jet Car Nationals over the 4th, and pissed off the powers that be.

I'm not sure how close you follow them, but the stories are awesome. When Bernstein did the first 300 mph pass, the goal was to keep the fire lit for the whole 1/4 mile. The magneto's weren't keeping a hot enough spark to keep the plugs firing, so they decided to inject Argon into each mag, which worked. Now, the mags produce 44 amps apiece, and burn the plugs out by the time the run is halfway done. That's when it turns into a diesel.

BillyD 07-09-20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21578858)

I minimize my intake of red meat.

I also minimize my intake of GMO corn.

But that's just me.