Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Last MTB ride w/o studs this year (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1192165)

rumrunn6 01-18-20 03:43 PM

Last MTB ride w/o studs this year

been riding w/ studs on a hybrid but today I was having fun with my studless MTB tires before a mid January snow. but the glare ice got me. don't know what I was thinking. maybe it was seeing bike tire tracks on the surface. & I had been checking other ice & riding w/ discretion. watching it a cpl times I may have turned the wheel. if I just stayed straight, I might have made it across. the fall was good tho. I can't take any credit for that tho. it happened so fast. I stayed with the bike the whole way down. didn't stick out any limbs. just rode it to the ground. landed on the whole right side, shoulder, thigh, ankle. at the end I relaxed & took note if my head hit. think it did & I felt a good neck stretch. fell to the right. hahaha stayed down as my bike slid away to consider the damage. took my time getting up but everything was fine. so carry on!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75b23052ab.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c2438a9e22.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4139245ed7.jpg

jsilvia 01-18-20 05:43 PM

At least you did not get hurt, You are during the kind of rides I would like to do. Where were you riding?

GrainBrain 01-18-20 06:07 PM

Ouch! Good to know it wasn't major, nice job riding it out. Did that only once last year! This year I have yet to ride on snow, choosing to jog instead.

Ugh watched the video, look how far your bike slid :eek:

rumrunn6 01-18-20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jsilvia (Post 21289941)
At least you did not get hurt, You are during the kind of rides I would like to do. Where were you riding?

Assabet River Rail Trail Corridor. hip feels a little bruised when I touch it, but no marks

rumrunn6 01-18-20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 21289966)
look how far your bike slid

lol, I know, that was surprising

ZIPP2001 01-18-20 06:44 PM

Glad to didn't get real hurt, get those studs on.

BobbyG 01-19-20 10:24 AM

Yikes! Glad you're okay. We had a lot of snow and ice in November, and they have stuck around in the shade and shadow for longer than usual. Just the other day I was riding home from work and there was a street-wide patch of ice. At the last moment I remembered I was on the bike without studded tires and walked the bike across the ice.

parkbrav 01-20-20 10:56 AM

Sorry to hear that, @rumrunn6! I hope it was just a "bruised ego" and nothing more! I hope you continue riding this winter, and posting your rides!

rumrunn6 01-20-20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 21292046)
Sorry to hear that, @rumrunn6! I hope it was just a "bruised ego" and nothing more! I hope you continue riding this winter, and posting your rides!

thanks, you know I will :thumb: I think my neck got a good wrenching, but seems OK. had a full day @ 2nd job yesterday & was pretty sore all over afterwards. looking forward to a restful evening tonight

OldsCOOL 01-22-20 10:54 AM

Wow, I’d have rode around that. Glad you weren’t injured and in good humor. Keep riding!

Hypno Toad 01-22-20 01:37 PM

I feel the pain

Then there's this

rumrunn6 01-22-20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21295329)
Then there's this

wow, you guys were racking them up that day! can you say "strained groin"? but you didn't go down on the glare ice, huh? what did you in?

rumrunn6 01-22-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 21295099)
I’d have rode around that

that would have been smart & easy. guess I'm not too old to be a dumba*s

Hypno Toad 01-22-20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21295403)
wow, you guys were racking them up that day! can you say "strained groin"? but you didn't go down on the glare ice, huh? what did you in?

That was a crazy race, the glare ice to deep snow wind drifts.

I was running 45NRTH studded Dillinger 4s - 240 studs per tire :thumb:

I was running higher pressure in the tires to get the studs to bite into the ice, but when we got to the snow drifts between islands, too much pressure made deep snow difficult. At least I fell in the deep snow for a soft landing ;)

To add to the fun, the high temp for the day was 0F.

OldsCOOL 01-22-20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21295404)
that would have been smart & easy. guess I'm not too old to be a dumba*s

We winter riders are a bit crazy as it is. :)

rumrunn6 01-23-20 07:50 PM

OK, kicking, screaming & falling reluctantly into winter, I've mounted a 2nd set of studded tires. no more falls, right?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f7a5e699ee.jpg

Hypno Toad 01-24-20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21297365)
OK, kicking, screaming & falling reluctantly into winter, I've mounted a 2nd set of studded tires. no more falls, right?

"No more falls ... ??" Depends on how much you challenge your studs ;)

This was a couple inches of fresh/fluffy snow on an ice-base marsh trail.

You're OP trail might be pushing the limits, but honestly, the only falls I've taken are going to the limits of good judgement.

rumrunn6 01-24-20 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21297730)
"No more falls ... ??" Depends on how much you challenge your studs ;)

This was a couple inches of fresh/fluffy snow on an ice-base marsh trail.

You're OP trail might be pushing the limits, but honestly, the only falls I've taken are going to the limits of good judgement.

um yeah, that "no more falls" was tongue-in-cheek cuz I fall w/ studs too. re: that glare ice, I love glare ice, w/o clogged treads, studs are perfect, I even like glare ice covered w/ water! re: your fall, glad you didn't fall in the creek! I see that hazard, ice under powder, sneaky & evil! sounds liked it hurt, like when you said "Oww". not all falls in snow are good ones, huh? re: good judgement, I like to quote my Sister: "don't take any unnecessary risks" However, I seem to require reminders from mother nature from time to time. also, when biking in the snow, what's an unnecessary risk? here's some fresh wet snow over a bare boardwalk. worked out OK cuz there was no ice underneath. even tho I had studs, if there was ice & the tread was compacted, I might have been in trouble. the whole time I was thinking "hmmm, I can do this, right?"

ice under water, no problemo

rumrunn6 02-08-20 06:12 PM

went back with studs, 2 cameras, bars & helmet & a chip on my shoulder. kinda disappointed the "glare" ice was gone but there was enough other fun stuff to help shake off the fall

Hexar 02-09-20 09:35 PM

That is crazy.

rumrunn6 02-24-20 09:56 AM

while I got in several rides w/ the hybrid, on studs this year, so far, just this one "revenge" ride with studs on the MTB. gonna be 60 in Boston today & last week I took the winter tires off the car. Wifey went for a walk in the woods w/ her friend & experienced lots of ice, so good cause to keep the MTB studs on for now. however, with commitments the next few weeks, I think it would be funny if the regular tires go back on before I ride the MTB again ...

rumrunn6 12-07-21 08:29 PM

on they go. a bit earlier this year

MinnMan 12-07-21 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21295329)

I think I know exactly where this was - the little connecting path between Minnetonka Blvd. and Minnetonka Dr. at the foot of McGinty.

Hypno Toad 12-08-21 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22332763)
I think I know exactly where this was - the little connecting path between Minnetonka Blvd. and Minnetonka Dr. at the foot of McGinty.

That's the one! This was on my daily commuting route for many years. I'd ride McGinty to Mtka Blvd/Dr to connect to Baker Rd and ride Baker into Eden Prairie ... I worked a few different offices in the Eden Scary Center area for nearly 20 years.

Since moving to a home office in 2016, I've bike to Eden Scary Center once or twice. Such a hateful area to ride a bike!

MinnMan 12-08-21 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 22333035)
That's the one! This was on my daily commuting route for many years. I'd ride McGinty to Mtka Blvd/Dr to connect to Baker Rd and ride Baker into Eden Prairie ... I worked a few different offices in the Eden Scary Center area for nearly 20 years.

Since moving to a home office in 2016, I've bike to Eden Scary Center once or twice. Such a hateful area to ride a bike!

Yah, they got the name wrong with "Flying Cloud".