Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 12-25-18 09:08 AM

Christmas Morning
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8a565a9ccb.jpg
I didn't get a bike for Christmas but I did get a couple of paintings of bikes!
The boy could have been me back in 1967 and the girl....
Marcia Brady?
All the girls back then wanted that straight blonde hair.
They used to iron their hair on an ironing board.

gster 12-25-18 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by Johno59 (Post 20717090)
Long before the latest iteration of hipsters, fixed wheel bikes were used as path racers as they were more efficient in getting power to where rubber meets the road. Before the fax machine much urgent/ legal/ confidential printed documents passing around major cities throughout the world used bike couriers to deliver their documentation in a fast efficient manner. All of these bikes were fixed wheel. Forty years ago when I was doing it the reason we used fixed in heavy traffic was it was safer. Certainly it was the most efficient method of travel but it was the safety bit that was most compelling reason.
On a fixed bike you tend to go fast and the pressure on your legs at all times constantly reminds you of the momentum you have and the consequences if you hit or are hit by the ground, car or pedestrian. You tend to keep up with the traffic and needless to say you are constantly aware the whole flow of moving objects weighing thousands of tons will not tolerate a 25 lb bicycle obstructing the flow. The pressure on your legs tends to remind you of this overwhelming force surrounding you and your primeval survival instincts conditions you to understand the traffic is meanest SOB in the valley and you will die if you tempt fate.
The beauty of it is when the monster is compelled to halt at a red light you are free to zoom up and away and get a shot of dopamine as the monster is forced to pause. On the next block you return to the clutches of the beast and the cycle repeats.
Do this a hundred times a day, week in, week out and any other way feels weird and dangerously disconnected and rightly so.

Well written.
I'm glad to have stirred the pot.

gster 12-25-18 09:17 AM


Originally Posted by roughrider504 (Post 20718103)
I picked this up in January and haven't touched it since.. time flies. Pulled a shifter out of the bin and found the brake pads I ordered a while back.


It wasn't very happy going through the gears on the stand. It definitely could have ridden, but not happily. Since it's a Sturmey, the obvious answer is to add oil until it works! Right?


I did wonder why a 1960 hub was on an 80's DL - it was broken. I was almost excited, I've never had a broken AW! I dug through my parts bin like a kid on Christmas. Can't wait to get some tires and put some miles on it.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c183fa5f75.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f084336b17.jpg

I've never seen those parts fail....
I had a mangled sun gear once that was caused (I believe) from an overtightend hub.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8fca975333.jpg

gster 12-25-18 09:25 AM

My Dad Bought Me a Bike

Back in 1965 or so, my Dad bought me a bike. It was probably a Supercycle bought at the old Canadian Tire on Dundas. It looked something like this one.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afe2a34f2a.jpg
Single speed with a coaster brake.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c626de651.jpg
Even at $40.00 (1967 price), using the inflation calculator, it would equal about $320.00 today or close to half a week’s pay….

I liked my bike very much but by 1967 I really wanted one of these.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e2393ad1c0.jpg


My dad and I went back to Canadian Tire, not to buy a new bike but to buy the accessories to convert my bike.

He repainted the frame in a nice sparkle finish green, added the ape hanger bars, new sparkle grips, a banana seat, sissy bar and perhaps monkey fenders.

The re styled bike was promptly stolen by some kid at school. We never locked our bikes back then. Somehow my Dad tracked it down and we went to this kid’s house to retrieve it. I’m not sure how my Dad found it or what happened to this bike afterwards, but I obviously out grew it and moved on to a bigger 10 speed.

Thanks Dad.

JohnDThompson 12-25-18 10:44 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20718413)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f084336b17.jpg
I've never seen those parts fail....
I had a mangled sun gear once that was caused (I believe) from an overtightend hub.

They seem to fail more readily on newer hubs (70s and newer), where the planets seem to be made out of pot-metal.

markk900 12-25-18 12:15 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20718423)
My Dad Bought Me a Bike

Back in 1965 or so, my Dad bought me a bike. It was probably a Supercycle bought at the old Canadian Tire on Dundas. It looked something like this one.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afe2a34f2a.jpg
Single speed with a coaster brake.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c626de651.jpg
Even at $40.00 (1967 price), using the inflation calculator, it would equal about $320.00 today or close to half a week’s pay….

I liked my bike very much but by 1967 I really wanted one of these.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e2393ad1c0.jpg


My dad and I went back to Canadian Tire, not to buy a new bike but to buy the accessories to convert my bike.

He repainted the frame in a nice sparkle finish green, added the ape hanger bars, new sparkle grips, a banana seat, sissy bar and perhaps monkey fenders.

The re styled bike was promptly stolen by some kid at school. We never locked our bikes back then. Somehow my Dad tracked it down and we went to this kid’s house to retrieve it. I’m not sure how my Dad found it or what happened to this bike afterwards, but I obviously out grew it and moved on to a bigger 10 speed.

Thanks Dad.

@gster: I too had the red coaster (26" wheels not the 24" wheel model).....flipped the bars and my friends and I "raced"....then I too *had* to have a banana bike - mine was from Eatons - here's a catalog picture of almost exactly my bike (I had a gold sparkle seat)....I really wanted a slick on the back to make use of all that SA 3 speed power!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3704a76003.jpg

gster 12-25-18 01:56 PM

1953 BSA Update
Took another pass at the BSA
I've replaced the back wheel with a 1965 that I had in the shed.
The '61 it came with was warped and a bit rusty.
The other '61 I put on was clean but warped beyond fixing.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2d0f0d4035.jpg
I also added a new shifter cable, raised the seat a bit and turned down the bars.
The bike rides and shifts nicely with a 20T cog on the back.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f52a401360.jpg

Still to do:
Replace chain
Replace the plastic grips with a set of the rubber Raleighs I like.

BigChief 12-25-18 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 20718511)
They seem to fail more readily on newer hubs (70s and newer), where the planets seem to be made out of pot-metal.

That must mean they were cast. I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. Another bad idea from the 70s. It certainly explains this failure.

gster 12-25-18 07:55 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 20718586)
@gster: I too had the red coaster (26" wheels not the 24" wheel model).....flipped the bars and my friends and I "raced"....then I too *had* to have a banana bike - mine was from Eatons - here's a catalog picture of almost exactly my bike (I had a gold sparkle seat)....I really wanted a slick on the back to make use of all that SA 3 speed power!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3704a76003.jpg

I like how the ad states gold or lime...no choice.

BigChief 12-25-18 08:13 PM

I brought the old Rudge with me on a Florida visit. Flat land here, no hills at all. This bike is heavy for a Sports. Right now, It's geared 48x20 and works well for flat country. I ride in Normal and use low for headwinds. High is a bit uncomfortable, at least for me. I haven't been using it. Cruising in high gear is very comfortable on my 48x20 stripped down Rudge scorcher, so the extra weight makes quite a difference. I cruise around slower on this one. If I had hills to climb, I'd go all the way to a 24T cog on this bike. Very pleasant ride though. Just more sedate. In keeping with it's more formal character.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...474e21ed09.jpg

gster 12-25-18 09:02 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20718943)
I brought the old Rudge with me on a Florida visit. Flat land here, no hills at all. This bike is heavy for a Sports. Right now, It's geared 48x20 and works well for flat country. I ride in Normal and use low for headwinds. High is a bit uncomfortable, at least for me. I haven't been using it. Cruising in high gear is very comfortable on my 48x20 stripped down Rudge scorcher, so the extra weight makes quite a difference. I cruise around slower on this one. If I had hills to climb, I'd go all the way to a 24T cog on this bike. Very pleasant ride though. Just more sedate. In keeping with it's more formal character.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...474e21ed09.jpg

A Classic Black Beauty

Rollfast 12-25-18 11:05 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20718934)
I like how the ad states gold or lime...no choice.

I don't see any disappointment on those kids' faces. Those are wicked kewl!

Rollfast 12-25-18 11:07 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20718943)
I brought the old Rudge with me on a Florida visit. Flat land here, no hills at all. This bike is heavy for a Sports. Right now, It's geared 48x20 and works well for flat country. I ride in Normal and use low for headwinds. High is a bit uncomfortable, at least for me. I haven't been using it. Cruising in high gear is very comfortable on my 48x20 stripped down Rudge scorcher, so the extra weight makes quite a difference. I cruise around slower on this one. If I had hills to climb, I'd go all the way to a 24T cog on this bike. Very pleasant ride though. Just more sedate. In keeping with it's more formal character.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...474e21ed09.jpg

Stately and quite charming. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Rollfast 12-25-18 11:09 PM

I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop but it has been 11 months and a week since Sixty Fiver was on BF and I miss his presence a lot.

Dan Burkhart 12-26-18 07:56 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20718423)
My Dad Bought Me a Bike

Back in 1965 or so, my Dad bought me a bike. It was probably a Supercycle bought at the old Canadian Tire on Dundas. It looked something like this one.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afe2a34f2a.jpg
Single speed with a coaster….

That looks nearly identical to the bike I got in the mid 60s when I was 12 or 13 years old.I remember it as a big deal that it had 28" wheels. I rode that bike to all my summer jobs through high school, I do not remember what store chain it came from, might have been Western Auto. (remember them?)

Dan Burkhart 12-26-18 08:48 AM


Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 20719049)
I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop but it has been 11 months and a week since Sixty Fiver was on BF and I miss his presence a lot.

I can tell you he is alive and well if that makes you feel better.

Buellster 12-26-18 03:22 PM

Thought someone in here may appriciate these. They aren't the gentlemens black but if you need some classic pedals these would definitely do the job.
White pedals
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233030162129

52telecaster 12-26-18 04:00 PM


Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 20719216)
That looks nearly identical to the bike I got in the mid 60s when I was 12 or 13 years old.I remember it as a big deal that it had 28" wheels. I rode that bike to all my summer jobs through high school, I do not remember what store chain it came from, might have been Western Auto. (remember them?)

I do remember western auto. I had a fake stingray from them.

Ged117 12-26-18 04:36 PM

1950 Raleigh Update
 
Hello all,
I've put together some photos. 1950 Raleigh with AG hub and lighting system relatively intact. I'm planning to disassemble down to the frame and service the hubs and bottom bracket. It has sat for decades. I'll use some product to bring out the luster in the paint and polish the chrome parts as I remove and catalogue them. Suggestions for the process are welcome. The 23 inch frame was a nice surprise and the colour is fantastic.

I'm not sure about the Cyclo derailleur - whether I want to keep it on or not. I've put together a list of items including a 22t cog and tires etc at Harris Cyclery. I've rubbed some proofhide onto the B66 but just a little. What do you recommend for it? All your thoughts and ideas are welcome. The rear tire is an original Dunlop. The front is a later Japanese brand. I was thinking the cream delta cruisers.https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3f8a78858.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...40749073fe.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c32e5af8cf.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8c061d25ea.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...038d615a98.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5973d4c529.jpg

Ged117 12-26-18 04:44 PM

1950 Raleigh
 
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...05594bfab0.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5e948b5c6f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9bfedc6d6e.jpg

Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 20719851)
My earlier post on 1950 Raleigh

A few more photos:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0221ba745d.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bc8ff33242.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f30e8c45f7.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7b2eba1a86.jpg

BigChief 12-26-18 05:38 PM

I LOVE this bike. Might take some time, but a 32H Raleigh pattern front wheel is a find-able item. That color is gorgeous. I think a light compounding and wax will clean it up nicely. I've never had a AG hub, so I don't know exactly what driver it had originally, but whatever it was it was swapped out for the Cyclo mod. I do know any pre 1952 driver would have been threaded, so you would need a suitable splined driver if you wanted to use a 22T splined cog. Personally, I'd try keeping the Cyclo. Great Bike!

BigChief 12-26-18 06:02 PM

Also...More original grip information!! This is great. John Bull, I should have figured they made grips. I keep seeing these fat style grips on early 50s Sports. Original cloth covered cable housings too.

Ged117 12-26-18 06:55 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20719918)
I LOVE this bike. Might take some time, but a 32H Raleigh pattern front wheel is a find-able item. That color is gorgeous. I think a light compounding and wax will clean it up nicely. I've never had a AG hub, so I don't know exactly what driver it had originally, but whatever it was it was swapped out for the Cyclo mod. I do know any pre 1952 driver would have been threaded, so you would need a suitable splined driver if you wanted to use a 22T splined cog. Personally, I'd try keeping the Cyclo. Great Bike!

Thanks for the tip about the driver. I'm new to vintage three speeds so I'm sponging up what I can. The front wheel is not an original. I thought so since it isn't stamped as the back one is. I suspect the original was damaged (probably when the headlamp was dented).
Who knows when - another mystery which makes old bicycles so interesting. I love the color too; the ad photos made it look black and when I saw it in person I was very pleased. This thread will help so much on this project. Thanks for the input.

BigChief 12-26-18 07:34 PM

Good news. I found an exploded view of an AG hub with parts list. The driver is the same K507 as a regular AW hub. My 51 Rudge had a threaded driver and I replaced it with a splined one so I could change cogs. I used a 1950s straight legged driver, but for all I know, a later dog legged driver would have worked just as well. Now, I'm not sure the Cyclo kit came with a driver with a longer threaded section, but you would think it would. But in any case, a 1950 AG would have a K507 threaded driver. Here's the original driver from my Rudge with the cog and outer dust cover still in place. The other is the splined driver I replaced it with. Note...I had to rob an outer dust cover off another hub because I didn't want to hassle with getting the cog off the threaded driver.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4feb281014.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25a04a2d3a.jpg

BigChief 12-26-18 07:52 PM

Personally, I'd do my best to get the Cyclo working. But if it turns out to be a pest, it looks like it would be easy to swap in a splined driver since it's the same as the AW part.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...30ddd9175f.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.