Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Interesting finds around the web (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=929230)

Monkeyfudger 02-21-18 03:57 PM

Haha, I’ve seen me take longer than that, nothing quite like that blind bit of panic when you fluff clipping in twice...

If they’re always going to rely on Ant+/Bluetooth then a track crank will always be unfit for purpose in my mind unless they do something different with the data. Perhaps a track specific PM as well as broadcasting on Ant+ as it does now should also be storing the data internally and start recording as soon as torque is applied so that torque and power can be analysed later.

jsk 02-21-18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20182834)
Standing start pickup time has less to do with a head unit "waking up" and more to do with the cranks rotating 2 full rotations (using 1 reed switch). That's how long it takes for a crank to calculate your cadence (time between each rotation). If you can complete 2 full rotations in 1 second, the head unit will start recording then.

2 reed switches helps because instead of 2 rotations being needed, you only need 2 HALF rotations...or 1 rotation :D

That would be true for magnet-based Cadence sensors, but is it true for accelerometer-based cadence? I know some of the pedal-based PM's supposedly record 30+ readings per crank revolution, I don't see why they would need two revolutions to start recording power.

carleton 02-21-18 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger (Post 20182888)
Haha, I’ve seen me take longer than that, nothing quite like that blind bit of panic when you fluff clipping in twice...

If they’re always going to rely on Ant+/Bluetooth then a track crank will always be unfit for purpose in my mind unless they do something different with the data. Perhaps a track specific PM as well as broadcasting on Ant+ as it does now should also be storing the data internally and start recording as soon as torque is applied so that torque and power can be analysed later.

Yup. I recall seeing some custom power meters used by the British that were wired.

Wired is the way to go if you really care about scientific levels of data collection. Wireless is simply convenient and easy to install.

Originally Posted by jsk (Post 20182992)
That would be true for magnet-based Cadence sensors, but is it true for accelerometer-based cadence? I know some of the pedal-based PM's supposedly record 30+ readings per crank revolution, I don't see why they would need two revolutions to start recording power.

They may record 30+ times per revolution, but they need a time stamp in order to calculate elapsed time. I believe that time stamp is triggered every revolution. I don't know much about the accelerometer style. But, I'd like to know what is recording 30 times per revolution. Is it the head unit or the cranks? My guess is that they may be recording 30 times per revolution, but only transmitting the average of all 30 every revolution.

The way that many head units calculate cadence is that they receive torque readings every so often:

- 10NM @ 1:00:30
- 11NM @ 1:00:31
- 11NM @ 1:00:32
- 13NM @ 1:00:33

And then it says, "Thanks for the torque! I see that you (cranks) are sending me (head unit) torque every 1 second based on the elapsed time between each reading. I calculate your cadence to be 60RPM! From there I'll take that 60RPM and that torque and calculate your POWER!"

This calculation can be made after 2 readings and updates after every subsequent reading.

carleton 02-21-18 11:26 PM

Ever wonder why some riders race international competition in their national team colors and other race for a pro team? Here's a good explanation why: https://www.beatcycling.club/en/blog...have-achieved/

SyntaxMonstr 02-22-18 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20183713)
Ever wonder why some riders race international competition in their national team colors and other race for a pro team? Here's a good explanation why: https://www.beatcycling.club/en/blog...have-achieved/

Or because their home nations suck! (Not bitter at all that Pakistan screwed me over...) :cry:

It'd actually be really interesting if trade teams got to compete in Olympiad events or world championships. Like yeah, most of them are largely alt-teams for national squads, but you'd get a wider variety of representation from countries that might have promising athletes but no support or programmes in place to send them abroad otherwise.

Morelock 02-23-18 04:35 AM

Saw in my email today that Flo Cycling is going to start offering their 6 / 9 wheels in track configuration. Nice option at that price range.

On an aside... I ordered my front Walker Brothers disc at the end of December... and it still hasn't been shipped. They've had some growing pains/family issues, but we're far enough out now that I am beginning to whine online about it... unfortunate because I really like their discs.

700wheel 02-23-18 08:14 PM

Olympic Speed Skating.
I just saw the 1000m men's race winning time was just under 1m 8s - according to the commentator the guys in this event see 2-1/4 g. In cycling most g-forces are resisted by the saddle whereas in skating all the g-force goes though the legs.

It used to be that speed skating was a perfect winter training for track cyclists (e.e. Heiden, Young) - I do not hear that anymore.

Baby Puke 02-23-18 09:08 PM

Still its of crossover, at least in the Dutch team Laurine Van Riessen is a member of both the Dutch Olympic long track squad and the national sprint team.

zizou 02-26-18 03:02 AM

Apparently this is the new Cervelo T5....not sure if any difference to the GB T5 that was used in Rio? The bars are Hope, nice to see them branching out into track parts - i love their kit for mountain biking.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW4VOmgWkAAIIgY.jpg

Poppit 02-26-18 09:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It looks fast

rensho3 02-26-18 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 20187704)
Olympic Speed Skating.
I just saw the 1000m men's race winning time was just under 1m 8s - according to the commentator the guys in this event see 2-1/4 g. In cycling most g-forces are resisted by the saddle whereas in skating all the g-force goes though the legs.

It used to be that speed skating was a perfect winter training for track cyclists (e.e. Heiden, Young) - I do not hear that anymore.

It used to work well for me. I lived I Michigan and the only way to ride a bike was on the old Racermate trainer, which worked quite well. Training in the basement staring at a 12" black and white TV and looking outside through a one of those basement windows that were placed at ground level so that in winter the snow obscured half of the window was just not as much fun as speed skating. Since Milwaukee had to the on 400 meter track, and it was not yet covered over, most of my skating was done on frozen ponds. The tracks were typically 6 laps/mile, and racing was pack style; kind of a scratch race on ice. When watching the pack style race at the Olympics it really back great memories. For me, bike racing in the summer was skating training, not the other way around. Besides riding the bike, we also spend a lot of time in the gym (a guys garage or at the community center) or a field doing dry land efforts. One of the more memorable was when we did broad jumps up Mt. Trashmore in Midland. And yes, it was the pile of stuff left in the dump. In the middle of summer the bonus was that you became insensitized to various odors. Good Times! I still miss it.

Morelock 02-26-18 01:40 PM

Is there going to be a pursuit specific T5?
The pictures above one has an integrated cockpit and Kenny's has a more "normal" stem/bar.

queerpunk 02-26-18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Morelock (Post 20192534)
Is there going to be a pursuit specific T5?
The pictures above one has an integrated cockpit and Kenny's has a more "normal" stem/bar.

I wondered about that, too - but maybe in the smaller sizes there's no real way to achieve that raised TT/dropped stem detail.

Godsight 02-26-18 06:48 PM

I am counting a 66x14 combo on Laura's bike -__-

I am also of the opinion that smaller frame won't have the dropped stem/headtube junction for engineering reason. Laura Kenny is 5'4''/1.63m so on 48 or 51cm frame.
Meanwhile Katie Archibald is 5'10''/1.78m so probably on 56cm frame.

Also if people are willing to share the source for those pictures I would like to have them. I always love to see track tech on instagram, website or even facebook.

Poppit 02-27-18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Godsight (Post 20193190)

I am also of the opinion that smaller frame won't have the dropped stem/headtube junction for engineering reason. Laura Kenny is 5'4''/1.63m so on 48 or 51cm frame.

Also if people are willing to share the source for those pictures I would like to have them. I always love to see track tech on instagram, website or even facebook.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gb...hampionships-0

southernfox 02-27-18 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Godsight (Post 20193190)

Probably just a training gear for big gear work.

pierrej 02-27-18 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sprint bike looks pretty cool as well, though this is a bit bigger than the two above

carleton 02-28-18 12:39 AM

Looks dope.

Seat top area looks precious like it could snap. Didn’t someone break a new LOOK right there? Vogel maybe?

Looks long. I like it. Is available for retail sale?

rustymongrel 02-28-18 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20195861)
Looks dope.

Seat top area looks precious like it could snap. Didn’t someone break a new LOOK right there? Vogel maybe?

Looks long. I like it. Is available for retail sale?

Custom order through Cervélo 25,000 GBP for frameset. Bars must be purchased seperately from British cycling.

Morelock 02-28-18 08:11 AM

ahh yes, the ole "it's for sale, but only if you want to fund GBC's next project" tactic :D

I inquired about the CRUX helmet from 2012 olympics long ago... I was sure it was a joke when they emailed me the price.

carleton 02-28-18 08:55 AM

lol

carleton 02-28-18 03:26 PM

With all of the hype around nylon straps (us sprinters don't get many new things), it should be noted that the freshly minted Team Sprint World Champions all used "old school" NJS straps:

https://i.imgur.com/nZtcZoE.jpg

pierrej 02-28-18 06:26 PM

Also interesting that the Ned's best sprint team doesn't include any of the Beat guys

carleton 02-28-18 11:28 PM

Buschli (I butchered his name) rode in one of the rounds, so he got a jersey.

Interesting that Roy or Bos didn’t ride for sure. I wonder why.

Baby Puke 03-01-18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20197940)
Buschli (I butchered his name) rode in one of the rounds, so he got a jersey.

Interesting that Roy or Bos didn’t ride for sure. I wonder why.

Hmm. Bos was always only doing the kilo, I think, but I read VDB was doing the TS so I'm wondering too.