Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

indyfabz 03-19-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22443998)
If you ever think you're too fat for cycling, don't try running in CO.

A young guy in our x-country group was also a runner. He lived in Leadville, CO. Some of us were worried about altitude. He chuckled and noted that the highest pass we were going to cross was 3’500 lower than his home town.

genejockey 03-19-22 01:49 PM

I used to run when I was a ute. I enjoyed it then. I tried it later, as an adult and it was considerably less enjoyable. I also enjoyed cycling as a ute, but when I tried it as an adult, it was considerably MORE enjoyable.

DougRNS 03-19-22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22444044)
I promise you that I have no intention of running in Colorado. :D

same

LesterOfPuppets 03-19-22 02:37 PM

Wordle 273 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

indyfabz 03-19-22 02:38 PM

Is this a good bike?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c4e39b003.jpeg

BillyD 03-19-22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22443909)
My wife and I have ridden with our club <40 years and were informed this week that we have been disinvited to some club rides for being too strong/fast. WTF? We are both over 70. :foo:

We have been ride leaders many years and we have never told anybody that they weren’t welcome to a club ride. :(

Also, I just payed our dues a couple weeks ago. Guess that we wasted our money.

There's got to be somebody reasonable you can talk to.

Same problem I always had though, too strong. :( :innocent:

BillyD 03-19-22 02:49 PM

I've been playing running games my whole life, baseball, basketball, track. There's almost nothing I truly enjoyed more. Thankfully I can still do it enough to play softball for a few more years.

WhyFi 03-19-22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22444217)
Is this a good bike?

Probably a decent open-mold CF frame...

That said, I don't think that I've ever seen an RD stretched out in such agony that it appears as if the chain isn't even touching the upper jockey wheel.

WhyFi 03-19-22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22444238)
That said, I don't think that I've ever seen an RD stretched out in such agony that it appears as if the chain isn't even touching the upper jockey wheel.

...and it looks like it still has a few more larger cogs on the cassette. :twitchy:

ofajen 03-19-22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22444170)
I used to run when I was a ute. I enjoyed it then. I tried it later, as an adult and it was considerably less enjoyable. I also enjoyed cycling as a ute, but when I tried it as an adult, it was considerably MORE enjoyable.

I think my enjoyment of cycling has been high from the first moment. Running has definitely gotten harder on me.

I did some running the last two months at our rec center since the trails were covered with so much snow and ice, but I’ve been running less often since I discovered the step climber. It’s less brutal to train at a high output on the climber than running.

Otto

ofajen 03-19-22 03:17 PM

I won’t claim to be sure about this, but it looks like the chain is not threaded around the lower pulley at all, just under the upper pulley. Or am I just looking at it wrong?

Otto

WhyFi 03-19-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ofajen (Post 22444255)
I won’t claim to be sure about this, but it looks like the chain is not threaded around the lower pulley at all, just under the upper pulley. Or am I just looking at it wrong?

Otto

Yeah, it's so out of whack that it's confusing, but the forward jockey wheel has the little protective cage on it, which would mean it's the lower, not the upper. This looks like a similar model -

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/im...egreyfront.jpg

indyfabz 03-19-22 03:34 PM

Didn’t even notice that, but you can see that large cog from the ISS. SRAM e-tap and Ardennes wheels. All locked up outside.

abshipp 03-19-22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22444039)
My wife was, and still is, crushed. She’s more of a social animal than I am.

:(

abshipp 03-19-22 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22444240)
...and it looks like it still has a few more larger cogs on the cassette. :twitchy:

The optimist in me is hoping the RD is limited out to that cog.

The bike shop mechanic in me is much more pessimistic :twitchy:

rjones28 03-19-22 04:17 PM

My wife and I have ridden with our club <40 years and were informed this week that we have been disinvited to some club rides for being too strong/fast. WTF? We are both over 70. :foo:

We have been ride leaders many years and we have never told anybody that they weren’t welcome to a club ride. :(

Shouldn't have given them "the look" every time you droped the hammer on the group. Prolly.

rjones28 03-19-22 04:23 PM

That chain tho...

:twitchy:

rjones28 03-19-22 04:24 PM

I spy a Quarq crank arm.

Mojo31 03-19-22 04:25 PM

Might be worth stealing, if that's what you are wondering.

As others commented, the RD looks whack.

LAJ 03-19-22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22444044)
I promise you that I have no intention of running in Colorado. :D

Same here.

datlas 03-19-22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22444042)
My wife says that I used “payed” in the wrong context. I should have written “paid.”

:rolleyes:

Is she in league with the PenMan? What ever happened to him btw?

datlas 03-19-22 05:04 PM

Luckily, the weatherman was wrong and we had a gorgeous sunny and warm day. Today’s group was small at only 4 riders, but still was a fantastic ride.

Trsnrtr 03-19-22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22444349)

She was a language arts teacher at one time besides being a special education teacher, reading teacher, and administrator.

As for PenMan, I was wondering about him yesterday. Personally, I think PenMan would humble her.

big john 03-19-22 05:18 PM

I always did the "A" rides, even though there weren't formal groups. Lots of the older riders stopped coming out and younger ones moved in. It got to the point where I couldn't stay with the As anymore. In the early days the actual racers did their own ride, suddenly we had people racing the club rides, trying to drop people, etc. In my early 60s I started wanting to find a slower group, about the time the B riders stopped riding with us.

I discovered another club with a less racy mentality. There are still some very fast riders but they aren't trying to blow up every ride. I still ride with them sometimes but some of my friends from the old club got tired of hammering after guys 25 years younger and we now have a good group who ride together.

By coincidence today we encountered one of the guys from when I joined the club in 1989. He was out on a solo ride and he said one of the other guys he rides with is preparing to do his birthday ride-your-age-in-miles thing next month when he will be 87. It was great to hear about some of the people I rode with 30 years ago and how some of them are still riding into their 80s.

big john 03-19-22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22444349)

He quit riding, if we're thinking of the same guy.