Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

WhyFi 09-09-21 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22221984)

I wouldn't want to swim with that fish, 'specially if it's got buddies with it. :eek:

BillyD 09-09-21 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22222138)
I just popped over to 'Forum Assistance', and read that the P & R forum is no more. I guess you'll have to take your chances here, datlas

Heh, that's news to me. Where did you get such a notion? :foo:

indyfabz 09-09-21 08:44 AM

lplo, again.

bampilot06 09-09-21 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22222179)
Like datlas said, clean it up, touch it up. You could use a rust inhibitor inside the frame, for extra protection.

Seven Cycles has some useful tips -- Steel Frame Care and Maintenance | Seven Cycles

Thanks!

bampilot06 09-09-21 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22221972)
Buy a new bike?

trying, not sure if you’re aware, but there’s an extreme bike shortage.

indyfabz 09-09-21 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22222278)
I wouldn't want to swim with that fish, 'specially if it's got buddies with it. :eek:

You are very right. It's a bluefish. If they get into a feeding frenzy chasing a school of smaller fish up the coastline they can occasionally bite swimmers. Strong, nasty suckers. The small ones are called "snappers." The large ones are "chompers." An old friend hauled one onto a party boat and it bit him on he ankle. Many people don't like the last because it's an oily, "fishy" tasting fish. But that makes them great for grilling.

Velo Vol 09-09-21 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22222033)

Man, I got real antsy today. Time seemed to be crawling. They had an especially mind-dumbing show on HGTV. I would have turned it to a baseball game if I could--it was that bad.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22222045)
If you start riding today you might make it.

No need, the envelope says "By airmail/Par avion."

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22222080)
Veg here too, ovo-lacto for 36 years. My family all think I am picky.

Does not wanting seeds/nuts in your salad mean you're picky?

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22222235)
Not sure, but I think so. IIRC one of Dan's friends attempted the KOM on an out and back and missed it because he didn't quite reach the turnaround point.

I want an Office Park segment. Ride down the road, around the Traveler's building, and back to the circle on the east end. I could be a legend for years.

DougRNS 09-09-21 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22222033)

the day of your last infusion was probably the best day of the year. It was the day you met your old neighbor!. :bday: I'm sure the excitement is still at a very high level.

MoAlpha 09-09-21 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222322)
You are very right. It's a bluefish. If they get into a feeding frenzy chasing a school of smaller fish up the coastline they can occasionally bite swimmers. Strong, nasty suckers. The small ones are called "snappers." The large ones are "chompers." An old friend hauled one onto a party boat and it bit him on he ankle. Many people don't like the last because it's an oily, "fishy" tasting fish. But that makes them great for grilling.

...with lots and lots of garlic and roasted potatoes.

MoAlpha 09-09-21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22221695)
Is there anything that should be done if one notices rust on a bike?

My ritchey has some rust on the chain stay, previous owner must have dropped the chain and pedaled through.

Rust in a scratch is no big deal, but you might want to do what you can to inspect the inside of the frame, e.g., the BB for more serious problems.

Velo Vol 09-09-21 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22222489)
the day of your last infusion was probably the best day of the year. It was the day you met your old neighbor!. :bday: I'm sure the excitement is still at a very high level.

I'm still walking on air, basically.

DougRNS 09-09-21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22222514)
I'm still walking on air, basically.

obv

WhyFi 09-09-21 10:46 AM

I went to my local Asian food market yesterday and couldn't find the lower-calorie, fancy-ish ramen that I was looking for, so I decided to grab another fancy brand with air-dried noodles. Most ramen is made by essentially frying the noodles and that's a big contributor to the fat/calories, so my assumption was that another air-dried brand would be similarly lower in fat/calories... Yeah, no. I didn't look closely enough at the nutrition info at the store and, upon getting home, I saw that the 340 calories quoted was for half of a packet, not the whole packet. Oops.

sbxx1985 09-09-21 10:50 AM

I rode a real bike today for the first time in about a year. It was so fun. Just to work, but no limbs fell off and I felt free, alive, and happy.

I hope the Addiction crew is good and everyone is still alive.

sbxx1985 09-09-21 11:00 AM

I wore two ear buds.
I rode on the MUP.
I rode on the sidewalk (to pass those experiencing homelessness stopped in the bike path)
I rode an aluminum bike although I have a carbon bike.
I rode Shimano instead of Campy.
Speedplay pedals are the best.
I waived (sp).

Did I cover the first page?

genejockey 09-09-21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22221695)
Is there anything that should be done if one notices rust on a bike?

My ritchey has some rust on the chain stay, previous owner must have dropped the chain and pedaled through.

I had a couple rust spots on Mrs. Peel to deal with. I ordered some stuff from the UK, "Kurust", which stabilizes and converts rust and allows you to paint over it without it continuing to grow under the paint. I found it by watching 'BikeItUK' on YouTube. In my case it was all just surface stuff, but apparently if it gets much deeper than that you need to scrape/sand it down a bit. Then nail polish or Testors Enamel.

WhyFi 09-09-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222560)
I wore two ear buds.
I rode on the MUP.
I rode on the sidewalk (to pass those experiencing homelessness stopped in the bike path)
I rode an aluminum bike although I have a carbon bike.
I rode Shimano instead of Campy.
Speedplay pedals are the best.
I waived (sp).

Did I cover the first page?

You didn't touch on disc vs rim, tubed vs tubeless, or civvies vs cycling specific clothing.

genejockey 09-09-21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22222138)
I just popped over to 'Forum Assistance', and read that the P & R forum is no more. I guess you'll have to take your chances here, datlas

And I never got a chance to jump in and start throwing elbows. :cry:

genejockey 09-09-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222257)
Yeah. Too much negativity.

I used to enjoy arguing politics, back when we all shared a reality.

datlas 09-09-21 11:20 AM

Wheel question. I am going to need two rear wheels for the Habanero once it goes to 11. For summertime/dry conditions, my friend who permanently loaned me the Reynolds Assaults (from roughly 2012) believes he has the 11 speed freehub body, so that's covered. For off-season I do have some old and crappy wheels like the ones I am running now, but these are pretty long in the tooth and probably NOT worth trying to track down 11s freehub bodies for.

tl;dr I need a reasonably good but budget-level aluminum rim rear wheel for 11s clincher, does NOT need to be tubeless compatible. I generally think of something like Mavic Aksium but I wonder if there are others to consider. Budget is $150-250. Would consider getting a companion front wheel for matchy-matchy if price is right (say max $500 for F+R).

Suggestions??

datlas 09-09-21 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222580)
I used to enjoy arguing politics, back when we all shared a reality.

Remember how Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill would argue and then have lunch together and make nice?

#GoodOldDays

datlas 09-09-21 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222545)
I rode a real bike today for the first time in about a year. It was so fun. Just to work, but no limbs fell off and I felt free, alive, and happy.

I hope the Addiction crew is good and everyone is still alive.

Kudos

sbxx1985 09-09-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22222574)
You didn't touch on disc vs rim, tubed vs tubeless, or civvies vs cycling specific clothing.

You're right. I should have thought it through.

I rode a disc bike although I have a rim brake bike.
Disc braking is better than rim braking.
I rode with shorts and a t-shirt but old team socks.
Tubeless is for hipsters.

Eric F 09-09-21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222610)

One thing I will not be mistaken for is a hipster. Not even when riding my bikes with tubeless tires.

WhyFi 09-09-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222610)
You're right. I should have thought it through.

I rode a disc bike although I have a rim brake bike.
Disc braking is better than rim braking.
I rode with shorts and a t-shirt but old team socks.

Attaboy - now you're back in to the swing of things. ;)