Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bike Gloves alternative (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1205289)

CanadianBiker32 06-20-20 01:38 PM

Bike Gloves alternative

Just wondering if anyone figure an alternative to cycling gloves?

Anyone find anything good from hardware stores that work just as good or better and are lesser price? thanks

Digger Goreman 06-20-20 02:23 PM

Should be a recent thread on gloves with suggestions.

I started cycling in 2014, and started with no gloves. Hands became stressed and sore, as well as wrists. Better with padded cyclists gloves (Buy Pearl Izumi every two, or so, years at REI sales), and best since I added Ergon grips! Also be careful about gripping too tightly: restricts blood flow. Think the old 38 Special song, "Hold on loosely, but don't let go."

wipekitty 06-20-20 02:47 PM

I used to ride with some guys that got the basic Mechanix work gloves and cut the fingers off. Seemed to work out okay! Personally, I use insulated work gloves with a bit of padding on the palm for warmer winter riding.

That said, the basic Pearl Izumi gloves can usually be had for $20-25, not much more (and sometimes cheaper) than work gloves. They've worked out just fine.

powermatt99 06-20-20 02:48 PM

AdkMtnMonster 06-20-20 03:48 PM

I would never, EVER wave back at a bike rider that was wearing hardware store gloves. But I have droped hamers at various hardware stores...

Pearl Izumi basic gel gloves are always selling cheap on Amazon and elsewhere, and being purpose-built, will serve the wearer well. ;)

Ross520 06-20-20 06:01 PM

There's a huge variety of purpose-made cycling gloves out there, some at extremely affordable prices...

It's perplexing to me why you can't just select something that's readily available and tailored for your application.
​​​​​

Pop N Wood 06-20-20 06:06 PM

Winter riding I wear insulated work gloves from Walmart. Some of them have pretty think palms, but typically wear them for the cold

Don't need gloves on a recumbent.

Seems like all modern gloves have gone super thin on the padding. Just get some Chinese bike gloves off Amazon, will be as good as most name brands. Only problem is some other riders might not wave back at you, LOL

veganbikes 06-20-20 06:14 PM

My first pair of Gore Gloves are at least 7 years old and I think I paid $30 for them so about $4.28 per year at this point but again they are still going just fine (though I guess the reflective gore logo has gone away in spots). I rarely care for just looking at initial cost of things I look at the long term unless it is a disposable item. If I get a good comfortable pair of gloves and take care of them the total cost won't be that exceptionally much and they will much better serve my needs. They are designed for the purpose of cycling which is what I will use them for. For some of my winter gloves that are more cycling specific I have used them for other purposes as well so double duty but excellent on the bike.

u235 06-20-20 07:20 PM

I've wore various mechanics gloves. Had no issues with them. I only use them when it is either cold or I am doing something new on my XC and want full coverage. All other times it's run of the mill fingerless cycling gloves. I only wear gloves for protection or grip when I sweat or it rains which is a lot of my rides, not for comfort.

tomato coupe 06-20-20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32 (Post 21544380)

Riding without gloves is a cheap alternative.

AdkMtnMonster 06-20-20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21544911)
Riding without gloves is a cheap alternative.

No glove, no love.

fietsbob 06-20-20 08:12 PM

purpose? just so your hands are warm or so you don't have to pick gravel out of the palm of your hand when you fall off..?

tomato coupe 06-20-20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21544970)
No glove, no love.

I'm not sure what that means, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

Miele Man 06-20-20 08:36 PM

There's a Surplus store near me that had bicycle gloves that were inexpensive an have last me a while. I have in t he past bought weight-lifting gloves on closeout and those worked well as bicycling gloves too.

What about bicycling gloves from Wal-Mart?

Cheers

Tacoenthusiast 06-20-20 09:26 PM

Yeah for goodness sakes you can get cycling gloves for like $20..... What the heck are you going to do if you have to buy a new $5 inner tube or a $30 tire?

Flip Flop Rider 06-20-20 09:58 PM

Anyone find anything good from hardware stores that work just as good or better and are lesser price? thanks

an alternative is no gloves

Flip Flop Rider 06-20-20 10:17 PM

or you could try fishing gloves. lightweight, ok to get wet and spf 50

Leinster 06-21-20 12:41 AM

I’ve used weightlifting gloves in the past as a substitute for track mitts. They’re cheap, and usually available in places where you can’t necessarily find cycling gear.

I get my full finger gloves from Target at $15 each. The Champion jogging gloves have enough warmth to survive some pretty cold rides.

wolfchild 06-21-20 07:13 AM

Cycling gloves are just an overpriced fashion statement, and there are plenty of better non-cycling specific alternatives out there...I have used weight lifting gloves, I have also used various types of work gloves which are similar to mechanic gloves, all of them work perfectly fine for cycling.

MAK 06-21-20 09:23 AM

FYI...These Pearl Izumi gloves are on sale. Less than $20.00.

Some people ride with dedicated cycling gloves and some don't. If you ride short distances with flat bars you may have different needs than those riding long distances with road bars. I personally find that the strategic padding in cycling gloves makes all of my riding much more comfortable.

Remember that you have only five contact points with your bike and your hands comprise two of them. For me, $20 - $30 to protect 40% of my contact points isn't a fashion statement or a waste of money, it's just logical. Others may disagree and it's their choice.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...Gloves%20Email

Chuckles1 06-21-20 09:24 AM

When I was having some hand numbness issues, one of my experiments was a pair of dollar store fabric gloves with finger tips cut off. Surprisingly comfortable, looser than my gel palmed gloves, and less sweaty hands as they breath well. Too warm for summer, but just right for some cool fall days. Didn't solve hand numbness (mostly on indoor trainer) but no worse. Plan to use them again this fall outdoors.

Madmonk1 06-21-20 09:44 AM

Outside the box

Years ago I found a pair of ice fishing gloves on the cheap at Cabela's. Got them at the end of winter. Quality item. Water proof and protection from the wind. I have a light touch on the bars so padding not an issue.

Thomas15 06-21-20 11:14 AM

I have several pairs of inexpensive gloves from Amazon and a pair of Pearl Izumi. All I use these days are the Pearls. About once a week I throw them in the washer. Riding between 100 and 150 miles per week, mostly road or trainer but some mountain bike.

I have found that when I use the Pearls I can ride 40-50 miles and little hand discomfort, but 10 miles on with the inexpensive Amazon gloves my hands are in pain. If I only did 10 miles rides I probably would just go bare handed or be happy with the $12 Amazon gloves.

Nyah 06-21-20 11:24 AM

I'm happy with the Aerius traditional mesh gloves that I just got. Cost is $17. I doubt anything at that price from a hardware store would even be as good. Why spend the same or more, for gloves that are not as good?

For Winter riding, I use knit wool fingerless gloves with suede palm and a fold-over mitten cap. They used to be a regular item at camping stores but, apparently, not much anymore.

Leebo 06-21-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 21544982)
purpose? just so your hands are warm or so you don't have to pick gravel out of the palm of your hand when you fall off..?

Wipe snots, grip when hands are sweaty or wet. Padding for comfort too.