Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=615343)

smoore 01-15-10 01:48 PM

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

2 Attachment(s)
I have never owned a pro-team jersey because I always felt I would like like a poser or someone who wanted to convey that he was a fast racer-type. However, I would wear a retro 7-11 jersey (if I could find one) because I think most other riders would understand it is because I admired those guys back then. But now...I've fallen in love with the new Team Sky jersey and am starting to wonder if I should buy one. I'm not overweight and in good shape...but still at 60 years old would I look like I'm trying to be something I am not? And, I would NEVER wear a complete kit...just the jersey and plain black bibs.

10 Wheels 01-15-10 01:55 PM

How do we look?
Roy 74 Fred 67

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...00miles011.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79bb824adb.jpg
New York To LA 4300 Mles

JanMM 01-15-10 02:01 PM

You look like a couple of posters, for sure.:lol:

10 Wheels 01-15-10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 10273841)
I have never owned a pro-team jersey because I always felt I would like like a poser or someone who wanted to convey that he was a fast racer-type. However, I would wear a retro 7-11 jersey (if I could find one) because I think most other riders would understand it is because I admired those guys back then. But now...I've fallen in love with the new Team Sky jersey and am starting to wonder if I should buy one. I'm not overweight and in good shape...but still at 60 years old would I look like I'm trying to be something I am not? And, I would NEVER wear a complete kit...just the jersey and plain black bibs.

You are Something! You are Sixty.

Louis 01-15-10 02:22 PM

I don't need a team jersey to look stupid.:o

Booger1 01-15-10 02:22 PM

Is this a trick question? You really want to know?...You look like two turtles trying to excape their shells!

Hey, you asked....If your happy,I'm happy.

bobthib 01-15-10 02:31 PM

Wear what you like and what is comfortable and functional. At our age who gives a sheet what the heII anyone thinks? Team Kit or not.

That's me in the center. 62 on 01/10/10. That's our Club kit we are wearing.
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a...ffandJerry.jpg

I also have a full Voler Hammer kit which I love. It's got bib shorts and is sleeveless. I wear a long or short sleeve compression tee under it in cooler weather. If it's real cold I wear the Hammer leg warmers. It's all very comfortable. That's all that matters to me. What other's think is there problem.

I might buy a college (SUNYA '83, MBA) but they don't make them. I'm too cheap to buy a Team Kit. I like Hammer Kits as they are great values. And I don't mind pimping Hammer. Their stuff is good, and besides I'm in the Promotional Products business. That's the name of the game.

10 Wheels 01-15-10 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Booger1 (Post 10273996)
Is this a trick question? You really want to know?...You look like two turtles trying to excape their shells!

Hey, you asked....If your happy,I'm happy.

Thanks for your comment.
I am happy to be breathing.

leob1 01-15-10 02:39 PM

I tend to shop by price, but my wife did buy me a Discovery Channel jersey, I would have never paid what she paid for it, ever. But it is nice for hot days with the 3/4 zipper. And the pockets are nice, too. But I would never buy a pro team jersey unless it was with a deep discount, or free.

oilman_15106 01-15-10 02:57 PM

Real men are color coordinated. Go for the full team kit.

ARider2 01-15-10 02:59 PM

No, I don't think older people look stupid in team jerseys. As long as you are relatively fit and trim you should look fine. I am over 200LBS, but at 5' 11" I am not too fat, but I do look a little silly in a team jersey but I don't care what people think!

DnvrFox 01-15-10 03:00 PM

"Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?"

I don't know of any "Old Guys" on this sub-forum.

Best ask elsewhere.

miss kenton 01-15-10 03:12 PM

From a woman's perspective, no, older men do not look stupid in Team Jerseys (unless they are those ridiculous Fruit Loop ones). The one you've selected is tasteful. My vote is, if you want it, get it. You don't want to be lying in your death bed someday thinking, "I should have got that jersey", do you?

George 01-15-10 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 10274070)
Thanks for your comment.
I am happy to be breathing.

Hey Fred you guys are looking good. Infact all of you look good. I wish I had a team to join.:D

NOS88 01-15-10 03:17 PM

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. You've survived 60 years of living. You've earned the right to wear whatever makes you happy.

jppe 01-15-10 03:31 PM

If you like it you should get it-but just don't expect it to look the same on you like it does on the model.....

wrafl 01-15-10 03:48 PM

No, never wear a team jersey nor any of those ad filled jerseys. Plain design sports jersey shirt is all I wear provided it has moisture wicking properties. Team and ad filled jerseys are way too expensive for my budget.

cyclezealot 01-15-10 03:54 PM

Living in France over 2/3's of the year there are plenty of post 50 cyclists who look 39.. Age is immaterial.. The saying , if you got it flaunt it can apply to anyone from 13 to 75.

maddmaxx 01-15-10 03:59 PM

I'm with Louis.

My tour jerseys are a collection. My wife is mounting them all in frames for the wall in my "race" room.

The only jersey's I wear while riding are the BF jersey and my smiley face jersey.

longbeachgary 01-15-10 04:12 PM

It has nothing to do with age. You guys look good - you don't want to see me in a tight fitting jersey.

Some of the others are right that some jerseys are hidieous (sp) no matter who's wearing them.

Mojo Slim 01-15-10 04:19 PM

I sure don't have any problem with team jerseys, but I am shy about wearing a full kit. I think if you wear a kit, you better be able to back it up, and I can't. I have a couple of baseball jerseys I wear with Levi's, but I wouldn't wear the whole uniform.

Allegheny Jet 01-15-10 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I may be stupid racing @ 56 but don't think I look super stupid in my team kit.:D

WHOOOSSHHH... 01-15-10 04:57 PM

With those guns, wear what you want. Who's gonna say anything too you!

stapfam 01-15-10 04:58 PM

Two problems with team kit- They are made for warmer climes than I ride in and the medium size is made for someone my height but a far slimmer body and if Long sleeve- arms about 3" longer.

But have to admit that there are some team strips that I would wear- If I could ever get the body in shape to fit it

George 01-15-10 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 10274565)
I may be stupid racing @ 56 but don't think I look super stupid in my team kit.:D

I want you to post a picture of your birth certificate.:lol: