Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 06-12-20 07:50 AM

ATTN: Strava

WhyFi 06-12-20 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21529673)
They were the first ones I've seen this year and I got absolutely swarmed. Thankfully I do not react much at all to them, a bad bite for me will welt up for a few hours and then go away. My poor wife is very sensitive to them, though. Thankfully(?) they seemed to only be attracted to me last night.

I've only met a few individuals in life that seem to be more attractive to mosquitoes than me. And I have bad reactions that can itch for three to four days. Yay for me.

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21529688)
The reaction is caused by the “spit” she injects into you to keep your blood from clotting while she bleeds you dry. Only females bite, and it’s not for food. The proteins in your blood are used in egg production.

Pffft - you're telling a Minnesotan about mosquitoes? You going to give lessons on hotdish, next?

;)

WhyFi 06-12-20 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21529647)
In other news, I really think I need to gain some weight.

Lemme figure out how to send some of mine your way.

Velo Vol 06-12-20 08:02 AM

Yesterday I was briefly troubled by gnats, but I HTFU and kept going.

LAJ 06-12-20 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21529598)
I don't imagine anything quite like that, but I do imagine an environment where a flying the battle flag is much more likely to receive open praise rather than open condemnation.

It's been banned from cars for quite a while, and it's not as prevalent in the infield as it's made out to be. Just like anywhere, there are the d-bags, but it really isn't what folks expect. Until you actually attend a race and see what it's really like, it's tough to explain.

To be honest, the biggest asswipes I've ever met were in the PSL seats at Texas during the inaugural race. They were there to pose and Mrs. LAJ and I were there as fans. Mrs. LAJ was wearing her Texas Terry shirt, and didn't accessorize with high heels like the rest of the "ladies" there. I was in my Bobby Hamilton shirt (drove for King Richard the 43rd at the time), and it wasn't a polo. These were 4 grand a year apiece for the seat rights, and you would have thought we had the plague. Rednecks have nothing on people with new money that think they have to prove it.

abshipp 06-12-20 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by whyfi (Post 21529727)
lemme figure out how to send some hotdish your way.

ftfy

WhyFi 06-12-20 08:14 AM

Came across this the other day, from a celebrity Zwift race. Two takeaways for me:

1. Froome was obviously giving them a sporting chance, putting out only ~250w, but DAMN - look at the HR for that! 117bpm? :twitchy:
2. M. Chisholm, 5 seconds behind Froome is the Spice Girls' Mel C - she had the highest w/kg of everyone not named Froome. Sporty Spice, indeed.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7c903bdb84.png

indyfabz 06-12-20 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21529724)
Pffft - you're telling a Minnesotan about mosquitoes? You going to give lessons on hotdish, next?

;)

Heh. Forgot where you are. We spent 2 weeks in MN when riding across the country. Worst state for mosquitoes. Second was Montana. The first night we spent in the state after crossing in from Fargo, ND, we camped at a place that had a lake. The mosquitoes were terrible. Not a good introduction to the state. They were even inside the HI Hostel at Lake Itasca.

indyfabz 06-12-20 08:40 AM

Watching a continuing legal education presentation about bicycle crashes, bicycle laws, etc.

Velo Vol 06-12-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21529809)
Watching a continuing legal education presentation about bicycle crashes, bicycle laws, etc.

Any cause of action for negligent infliction of emotional distress when a monster truck roars by me and blasts smoke?

seedsbelize 06-12-20 09:00 AM

If I'm not mistaken, all but one if the mosquito species here are disease vectors. Dengue, zika, and now encephalitis. Oh the good old days.

indyfabz 06-12-20 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21529840)
Any cause of action for negligent infliction of emotional distress when a monster truck roars by me and blasts smoke?

Not yet, but I still have 37 minutes left.

big john 06-12-20 09:04 AM

Last couple of years we have had these mosquitoes called "ankle biters" because they tend to bite lower legs. They are very small and hard to see in the house but they are quite potent. Mrs John has bad reactions to them and got bitten a bunch last year. I get welts from them, too.

In other insect news I hit a bug descending @35mph and it stung me on my lip right through my mustache. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow and there is still a lump with dry skin that itches. Initially it swelled so bad it hung down over the lower lip.

Dominae 06-12-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21529809)

As a fellow attorney who needs to get caught up on CLE credits who is sponsoring the CLE and is it available on line?

MoAlpha 06-12-20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21529647)
In other news, I really think I need to gain some weight. Mrs datlas is on my case, and the scale said 136.5 this morning. My goal weight is 140 during the season and 145 in the off season.

I think I need to double down on my sourdough output and input.

136.5 is now my "dry" weight and I've hovered around 141 since last season. I am trying to maintain with whole grains, healthy fats, loads of protein, and resistance training at least once a week, but it's not easy.

MoAlpha 06-12-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21529840)

If you need an expert witness on causation, I'm your man. I'll even lower my charge to 350/hr.

indyfabz 06-12-20 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dominae (Post 21529859)
As a fellow attorney who needs to get caught up on CLE credits who is sponsoring the CLE and is it available on line?

Pennsylvania Bar Institute. Yes. It's available for $79. I bought a yearly subscription for $399. I can watch as many presentations as I want for a year.

Velo Vol 06-12-20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21529867)
If you need an expert witness on causation, I'm your man. I'll even lower my charge to 350/hr.

How do I get serious cyclists on the jury?

Velo Vol 06-12-20 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21529873)
Philadelphia Bar Institute. Yes. It's available for $79. I bought a yearly subscription for $399. I can watch as many presentations as I want for a year.

Is it a local practitioner?

MoAlpha 06-12-20 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21529881)
How do I get serious cyclists on the jury?

Voir dire, non? Tu es avocat, mon cher.

indyfabz 06-12-20 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21529902)
Is it a local practitioner?

It's actually the Pennsylvania Bar Institute. It's an organization that puts on CLE presentations in the state.

berner 06-12-20 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21527937)
Yup. Like how I want to buy a new chef's knife, but the purchase price would go a long way towards a wheelset upgrade, which I also really want to do. Complicating matters is the fact that the knives are available now while the wheelsets will be available in a few months, at which time the knives may not be available. "May you live in interesting times," indeed. :(

Good chef's knives will last for generations. Get 'em. Wheels will be rendered antiques right after the next super-duper "improvement".

datlas 06-12-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21529862)
136.5 is now my "dry" weight and I've hovered around 141 since last season. I am trying to maintain with whole grains, healthy fats, loads of protein, and resistance training at least once a week, but it's not easy.

I know we get less sympathy than the heavier people. One of my friends said I should start weightlifting. That's even dumber than running. Not gonna do it.

Bah Humbug 06-12-20 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21529953)
Good chef's knives will last for generations. Get 'em. Wheels will be rendered antiques right after the next super-duper "improvement".

Ask him how many chef's knives he has. Many of them are also rendered "antiques" as soon as the next fad in grind or profile or steel comes along. BTDT.

seedsbelize 06-12-20 10:17 AM

Finding excuses to delay trying the roadbike. The current one is the clouds of mosquitoes. My test ride bike path is flanked by standing water pretty much throughout.
I rarely ever even use the front brake. But still.....