Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-30-20 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21615476)
I only cook with press fit BB.

I hate creaky food.

rjones28 07-30-20 02:05 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21615506)
Which BB standard is best?

The one that fits your frame.

phrantic09 07-30-20 02:07 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21615506)
Which BB standard is best?

The next one to come out

datlas 07-30-20 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21615578)
The one that fits your frame.

I kinda lucked out in that both the Habanero and Roubaix have threaded BBs. I replaced the Habanero one a couple years ago at roughly the 40K mile mark.

Fun fact: Shimano changed the diameter/spline pattern on their BB about 8 years ago, so you need a different tool or a plastic adapter if your toolkit is old (mine was).

MoAlpha 07-30-20 02:26 PM

I ordered a new, 24 mm, threaded, BB so I can move the 6800 crank from the Cervélo to the Lynskey and rid myself of the FSA monstrosity currently on there. USPS tracking says the goddamn thing has been in Azuza for the last six days. I'm hoping this is not true.

There should be a tool adapter in the box.

datlas 07-30-20 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21615621)
I ordered a new, 24 mm, threaded, BB so I can move the 6800 crank from the Cervélo to the Lynskey and rid myself of the FSA monstrosity currently on there. USPS tracking says the goddamn thing has been in Azuza for the last six days. I'm hoping this is not true.

There should be a tool adapter in the box.

I bought a 6800 threaded BB to replace the 6700 on the Habanero, off scambay. It did NOT come with an adapter which I had to buy separately for about $5.

Replacing a threaded BB is super easy and quite satisfying, but you need the right tool.

WhyFi 07-30-20 02:54 PM

LPLO. :notamused:

MoAlpha 07-30-20 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21615658)
I bought a 6800 threaded BB to replace the 6700 on the Habanero, off scambay. It did NOT come with an adapter which I had to buy separately for about $5.

Replacing a threaded BB is super easy and quite satisfying, but you need the right tool.

I've done it many times with old, square taper, BBs, but this is my first modern changeover and I won't miss that lock ring, which was the enemy of all knuckles. I sure as hell hope the tool adapter is in the box (as seen on TV).

Velo Vol 07-30-20 03:16 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21614907)
And now it's time to HTFU

Every day.

Velo Vol 07-30-20 03:36 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21614888)
I couldn't agree more

^^^^
Gets it.

BillyD 07-30-20 03:36 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2e54c2f28c.png


There are times in life when we need to interrupt our everyday activities so as to take in and appreciate an extraordinary event or individual, and I'm convinced today is such a day. On this past July 17 we saw the passing of an extraordinary man, Representative John Lewis, and for most of this week there were special tributes paid to him because he was truly special. ALL of the networks covered his funeral services today and three of our former presidents attended and got up to pay tribute.

When I think about what he did to make this country a better place for all Americans, to put his life and his well being in danger time after time to fight for justice, to push this country towards living up to it's founding creeds, I can't help but be awed by his personal courage and his commitment. It doesn't matter whether he was a democrat or a republican, this doesn't have to be viewed through a political lens. This was simply an exceptional man that we all owe a debt of gratitude for making this country a better place.

RIP John Lewis

kissTheApex 07-30-20 03:41 PM

Word BillyD

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-20 03:45 PM

RIP indeed.

I was able to catch W's and Clinton's eulogies on TV this morning, but missed Obama's.

​​​​​​Hopefully it's up on YouTube for later viewing.

seedsbelize 07-30-20 04:31 PM

Word

Bah Humbug 07-30-20 04:44 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21615760)
what he did to make this country a better place for all Americans, to put his life and his well being in danger time after time to fight for justice, to push this country towards living up to it's founding creeds

If I may expand upon just this bit, one thing I really internalized from Hamilton was that our ideals are not a condition achieved at the founding, nor now, nor any time in between, but rather an ideal to always struggle for and improve towards. Just like, for the slightest bit of bike content, fitness. Or education. It is not achieved and then "done", but striven for constantly. There is much left to do, even aside from the racial inequities.

seedsbelize 07-30-20 05:13 PM

Yeah, for some reason they didn't teach us this in school. Or else I wasn't paying attention. There are so many things I've found out, going through life, that others seemed to just know, and I had no idea. Where did they pick it up? I have to figure it was taught in school. And I somehow missed it.
School was too easy for me, so it's likely my mind was elsewhere. ¿Quien sabe?

Velo Vol 07-30-20 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21615916)
Yeah, for some reason they didn't teach us this in school.

This didn't happen when I was in school, either. :(



Velo Vol 07-30-20 05:35 PM

Remember Jadesfire ?

datlas 07-30-20 05:39 PM

Warning! Standards/Planned Obsolescence Rant follows. Feel free to ignore.

We have a modest basic Black/Decker 1900PSI electric power washer. It's fine for washing the deck, concrete walkways, and the siding of our house. It's about 15 years old and has worked reasonably well....however, the "gun" part of the device recently developed a leak. I took it apart to see if there was an obvious worn O ring, but everything rubber looked ok and I was not able to isolate the leak with the unit off. When I turned the unit on, the fittings in the gun would just blow apart under the high pressure.

We went to Lowe's this evening to look into getting a replacement gun. Standards have changed. All the ones they have use different fittings at both the input and exit site of the gun. Instead of a quick-connect at the input, they use an M-22. And for the output "wand" my current unit uses a plastic variation of a quick-connect that is spring loaded into the gun, while the new standard seems to be quick-connect.

So in order to get the power washer working, I would need to buy a $10 quick-connect to M22 adapter, a new gun for $30, a new wand for $25, and a new wand spray fitting for $10. That's to make a 15 year old power washer work again. It reminds me of the stories that to buy a part-by-part economy car can cost more than a luxury car. Sad! It did not make sense to put so much money into the parts, so we did not buy them and more likely will just get a new power washer for $125 or so.

Should I cross-post on powerwashers forum?

:50:

p.s. only good news is, best I can tell, mask use at Lowe's was 100%

datlas 07-30-20 05:43 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21615693)
I've done it many times with old, square taper, BBs, but this is my first modern changeover and I won't miss that lock ring, which was the enemy of all knuckles. I sure as hell hope the tool adapter is in the box (as seen on TV).

I can mail you mine if you wanna borrow it. Weighs about an ounce.

Velo Vol 07-30-20 05:50 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21615952)
Warning! Standards/Planned Obsolescence Rant follows.

Already addressed in post #15860

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-20 06:04 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21615962)
Already addressed in post #15860

You need a singlespeed bikes or at least a 1x obviously :)

I've decided to get rid of all my simple bicycles. Already sold two singlespeeds.

I do have some coaster brake wheels and a frame that will accept them so I've gotta build that bike. Who knows maybe I'll love it and keep it but selling it is more likely.

Bah Humbug 07-30-20 06:07 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21615952)
Warning! Standards/Planned Obsolescence Rant follows. Feel free to ignore.

We have a modest basic Black/Decker 1900PSI electric power washer. It's fine for washing the deck, concrete walkways, and the siding of our house. It's about 15 years old and has worked reasonably well....however, the "gun" part of the device recently developed a leak. I took it apart to see if there was an obvious worn O ring, but everything rubber looked ok and I was not able to isolate the leak with the unit off. When I turned the unit on, the fittings in the gun would just blow apart under the high pressure.

We went to Lowe's this evening to look into getting a replacement gun. Standards have changed. All the ones they have use different fittings at both the input and exit site of the gun. Instead of a quick-connect at the input, they use an M-22. And for the output "wand" my current unit uses a plastic variation of a quick-connect that is spring loaded into the gun, while the new standard seems to be quick-connect.

So in order to get the power washer working, I would need to buy a $10 quick-connect to M22 adapter, a new gun for $30, a new wand for $25, and a new wand spray fitting for $10. That's to make a 15 year old power washer work again. It reminds me of the stories that to buy a part-by-part economy car can cost more than a luxury car. Sad! It did not make sense to put so much money into the parts, so we did not buy them and more likely will just get a new power washer for $125 or so.

Should I cross-post on powerwashers forum?

:50:

p.s. only good news is, best I can tell, mask use at Lowe's was 100%

In fairness, 15 years is a decent length of time, though I understand the frustration. If I were manufacturing I wouldn't want to be supporting things for that long either...

Velo Vol 07-30-20 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21615980)
I've decided to get rid of all my simple bicycles. Already sold two singlespeeds.

You're an enabler.

MoAlpha 07-30-20 06:40 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21615956)
I can mail you mine if you wanna borrow it. Weighs about an ounce.

It was in the box, but I had to pound it into the Park BB tool with a mallet and it didn't quite fit the BB cups. The worst part was it turns out that, contrary to what I had read on the Internet, the Shimano BB tool didn't fit the FSA BB. ...So I took it off with a pipe wrench and a t-shirt. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.