Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

bampilot06 12-02-21 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22326669)
Always worked for me.
Seriously, though, is that tendonitis?

He didnít use the term tendinitis.

phrantic09 12-02-21 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22326052)
I'm sorry to hear that about your friend.

The slow failing of the human body and mind is hard to watch. We've been witness to the creeping decline of my step-father as vascular dementia ground away at the sharpness of one of the most interesting and intelligent humans I've ever known. Yesterday afternoon, the last of the flickering lights went out, and he passed peacefully. We are currently wading through a mixture of anguish and relief left in the wake of his exit.

So sorry to read this.

Eric F 12-02-21 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22326103)
Sorry. Thatís so hard.

My dad had vascular dementia, plus a series of largish, but ďsilentĒ strokes and ended up losing his autobiographical memory while he was still clear enough to know he didnít know who he was anymore. Thatís rare and we would have been fascinated and presented him at rounds when I was a neurology resident, but this was just sad, sad, sad.

My step-dad sometimes recognized that his brain wasn't working right. It was like the dementia was eating away at his memory, starting newest first, but it was interesting how clear his older memories remained. I observed him talking with his sister about shared experiences from 60 years past, and the pictures in his head were still very clear. His decline wasn't totally linear. On Thanksgiving, he seemed the most engaged and in the moment than we had seen in a while, which made his passing just 5 days later a bit more surprising. We all knew the day was coming.

WhyFi 12-02-21 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22326665)
Just left the orthopedist. Diagnosis is runners knee. Solution stay away from the trainer.

"It hurts when I do this."
"Well, don't do that."

That's kind of ****** advice. Is he recommending that you stay away for a certain amount of time or is this a lifelong ban? Did they recommend revisiting fit or anything?

phrantic09 12-02-21 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22326693)
He didnít use the term tendinitis.

no PT? No anything just stay off the trainer? Was it OrthoVA?

phrantic09 12-02-21 11:48 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22326714)
"It hurts when I do this."
"Well, don't do that."

That's kind of ****** advice. Is he recommending that you stay away for a certain amount of time or is this a lifelong ban? Did they recommend revisiting fit or anything?

He isnít a surgical candidate so theyíre not going to waste their timeÖ

just to be clear, I think itís crappy too. But this is the deal with a lot of Ortho physicians. They eat what they kill and a guy with commercial insurance and no prospect at surgery is worth maybe 150 bucks while someone else that needs a hip or a knee is worth about 15 times that.

Eric F 12-02-21 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22326714)
"It hurts when I do this."
"Well, don't do that."

That's kind of ****** advice. Is he recommending that you stay away for a certain amount of time or is this a lifelong ban? Did they recommend revisiting fit or anything?

In my experience, this is pretty typical advice from over-use injuries. Athletes generally don't like stopping their activities, and don't give the issue a chance to recover and heal. I'm absolutely guilty of exactly that. More than a few times.

rjones28 12-02-21 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22326629)
Nope.


rjones28 12-02-21 12:03 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22326633)
There's a guy on the radio talking about the ETSU/KSU game. SMH

You're listening to the wrong station.

Radio | WCNY

Mojo31 12-02-21 12:09 PM

From Healthline:How is runner’s knee treated?Your doctor will tailor your treatment to the underlying cause, but in most cases, runner’s knee can be successfully treated without surgery. Most often, the first step in treatment is to practice RICE:
  • Rest: Avoid repetitive stress on the knee.
  • Ice: To reduce pain and swelling, apply an ice pack or a package of frozen peas to the knee for up to 30 minutes at a time and avoid any heat to the knee.
  • Compression: Wrap your knee with an elastic bandage or sleeve to restrict swelling but not too tightly as to cause swelling below the knee.
  • Elevation: Place a pillow under your knee when sitting or lying down to prevent further swelling. When there is significant swelling, keep the foot elevated above the knee and the knee above the level of the heart.
If you need additional pain relief, you can take certain over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen. Acetaminophen, the active ingredient found in Tylenol, can also help. You may want to talk to your doctor before taking these medicines, especially if you have other health conditions or take other prescription medications.

Once the pain and swelling has subsided, your doctor may recommend specific exercises or physical therapy to restore your knee’s full strength and range of motion. They may tape your knee or give you a brace to provide extra support and pain relief. You may also need to wear shoe inserts known as orthotics.

Surgery may be recommended if your cartilage is damaged or if your kneecap needs to be realigned.



I wouldn't think they would just rush into surgery without trying conservative care first. If they did, I'd be looking for a different doctor.

Velo Vol 12-02-21 12:15 PM

The crows here are friendly.

big john 12-02-21 12:16 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22326693)
He didnít use the term tendinitis.

This article says the term is used to describe cartilage damage under the kneecap. So, not tendonitis.
Guide To Treating Chondromalacia Patella Effectively - HealthPrep.com

Velo Vol 12-02-21 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22326738)
You're listening to the wrong station.

Radio | WCNY

Does it have a show that discusses Knoxville-area sportsball?

bampilot06 12-02-21 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22326714)
"It hurts when I do this."
"Well, don't do that."

That's kind of ****** advice. Is he recommending that you stay away for a certain amount of time or is this a lifelong ban? Did they recommend revisiting fit or anything?

Gave me a prescription for anti inflammatory medicine, and some PT excercises. He did another round of X RAYs and didnít see anything wrong. I am going to go back in 4 weeks if the pain is still around.

I tried to explain I can put different bikes on the trainer, I donít think he understood, he thought I was talking about one found at a hotel.

As long as it doesnít get any worse I am fine. Itís not bothering me on the Madone. Discomfort comes at random times, but it goes away as quickly as it comes and it doesnít seem to be influenced by effort at all.

I told him the 737 kills my knee, which is why he thinks itís runners knee more than anything else.

Manager at trek wants me to bring my cervelo in so he can help me with the fit, now I just have to find the time.

seedsbelize2 12-02-21 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=MoAlpha;22326419]Just bought a pretty nice pair of cheap speakers off someone in the neighborhood. Price was right, but a tweeter is blown and the OEM one is DCd. The part everyone uses to replace it is only 40 bucks a pair, delivered, but it also needs a series resistor to match the impedance to the OEM spec. The seller agreed not to cash the check and will give me whatever I want back, but this is turning into a project. It is sort of nice to work on something other than bikes and the boat for a change.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I've been doing farmette work this morning. It's nice to move around and do things outside of the wood shop. Actually work up a sweat.

bampilot06 12-02-21 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22326716)
no PT? No anything just stay off the trainer? Was it OrthoVA?

tpmg.

datlas 12-02-21 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22326665)
Just left the orthopedist. Diagnosis is runners knee. Solution stay away from the trainer.

Running is stupid.

datlas 12-02-21 12:37 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22326756)
Gave me a prescription for anti inflammatory medicine, and some PT excercises. He did another round of X RAYs and didnít see anything wrong. I am going to go back in 4 weeks if the pain is still around.

I tried to explain I can put different bikes on the trainer, I donít think he understood, he thought I was talking about one found at a hotel.

As long as it doesnít get any worse I am fine. Itís not bothering me on the Madone. Discomfort comes at random times, but it goes away as quickly as it comes and it doesnít seem to be influenced by effort at all.

I told him the 737 kills my knee, which is why he thinks itís runners knee more than anything else.

Manager at trek wants me to bring my cervelo in so he can help me with the fit, now I just have to find the time.

Maybe it's Pilot's Knee and not Runner's Knee? :innocent:

seedsbelize2 12-02-21 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22326730)
In my experience, this is pretty typical advice from over-use injuries. Athletes generally don't like stopping their activities, and don't give the issue a chance to recover and heal. I'm absolutely guilty of exactly that. More than a few times.

Same

seedsbelize2 12-02-21 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22326749)
This article says the term is used to describe cartilage damage under the kneecap. So, not tendonitis.
Guide To Treating Chondromalacia Patella Effectively - HealthPrep.com

In any case, it's time for Mr. Bam to learn patience. I'm sorry to have to write that.

indyfabz 12-02-21 12:47 PM

Another positive COVID test here in my NJ office. I am glad I am only here 2 days/week. Booster shot tomorrow afternoon.

genejockey 12-02-21 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22326748)
The crows here are friendly.

Are you a baby possum?

LAJ 12-02-21 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22326788)
Are you a baby possum?

He's a bear, which is why crows are friendly.

bampilot06 12-02-21 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22326780)
In any case, it's time for Mr. Bam to learn patience. I'm sorry to have to write that.


thats impossible.

genejockey 12-02-21 12:57 PM

The fact that it's only a problem on one bike and not the other obviously screams "Fit Issue". I'm curious what, though.

Also, off topic, but someone, probably a vendor, left us with cookies and cupcakes in the break room, the heartless bastards.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.