Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 09-29-15 01:14 PM

+2. And don't forget to consider a Raleigh Colt if one comes up. Just saw a blue, late 60s stepthrough on my local CL, so they do show up from time to time. They have 18 1/2" frames.

Velocivixen 09-29-15 01:28 PM

Yeah I have seen colts on occasion. It's weird because on some frames a 19" feels great but on other frames a 21" feels better. A friend had two identical Bridgestone T700's - a 19" & a 21". She was selling the 19" so I thought for sure I'd love it. I rode both and definitely preferred the 21" so didn't buy.

I'd love to buy. R20 with nicer paint then transfer things over.

Thank goodness you haven't voted to eject me from the fold. I'm so relieved. ;)

dweenk 09-29-15 02:39 PM

Not ejected, but you may be on the cusp. The Inquisition may appear at any time (no one expects the Inquisition). :p If I were in your place, I would purchase the first Raleigh I could find and give it a full rehab. It would work in your favor. Remember this - you want to avoid the "Comfy Chair".

Velocivixen 09-29-15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18204328)
Not ejected, but you may be on the cusp. The Inquisition may appear at any time (no one expects the Inquisition). :p If I were in your place, I would purchase the first Raleigh I could find and give it a full rehab. It would work in your favor. Remember this - you want to avoid the "Comfy Chair".

What's the " Comfy Chair"? If you mean sitting around, well I just rode 45 miles with serious rollers on Sunday, but since it wasn't on a vintage bike I didn't post about it. I doing the Portland Marathon half this Sunday, so definitely not sitting down.

dweenk 09-29-15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18204366)
What's the " Comfy Chair"? If you mean sitting around, well I just rode 45 miles with serious rollers on Sunday, but since it wasn't on a vintage bike I didn't post about it. I doing the Portland Marathon half this Sunday, so definitely not sitting down.

Sorry to not list the reference. Monty Python had a skit about the Spanish Inquisition. The comfy chair was one of their tortures... but if you venture there, you will see what may await:roflmao2:.

colinm 09-29-15 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I stripped my Superbe down, mounted 700c 2-speed coaster brake wheels and went on a 30 mile "All British" group ride. Fun and surprisingly comfortable despite the narrow brooks.

Velocivixen 09-29-15 03:19 PM

@dweenk - hey, thanks for the explanation. I'm certain, that if it's Monty Python, Mr. Velocivixen will know of this reference. Hahahaha
@colinm your bike is so pretty. That's my favorite color.

noglider 09-29-15 04:08 PM

@Velocivixen, let me know if you're interested in my R20. I never finished the mods. Address below.

markk900 09-29-15 05:24 PM

Don't ask Mr. Velocivixen.....behold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnS49c9KZw8

BigChief 09-29-15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18204410)
Sorry to not list the reference. Monty Python had a skit about the Spanish Inquisition. The comfy chair was one of their tortures... but if you venture there, you will see what may await:roflmao2:.

Or, we could have demanded she bring us a shrubbery.

Charles Wahl 09-29-15 07:33 PM

What's the " Comfy Chair"?

Ah, those people who weren't around, and of a sentient age, in the '70s . . . they think that the Pythons are just a bunch of grizzled old men. "No chance, English bed-wetting types. I burst my pimples at you and call your door-opening request a silly thing, you tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms! Yes, depart a lot at this time, and cut the approaching any more or we fire arrows at the tops of your heads and make castanets out of your testicles already! Ha ha haaa ha! And now, remain gone, illegitimate-faced bugger-folk! And, if you think you got a nasty taunting this time, you ain't heard nothing yet, dappy English k-nnniggets! Thpppt!"

Velocivixen 09-29-15 09:42 PM

@Charles Wahl - Yes, apparently I'm a bit late to the party. I'm a quick study though.

The main thing is that I still have an English 3 speed and I like it. Don't like the paint and it needs cosmetic adjustments, but it rides alright and it's not too big.

Shp4man 09-29-15 10:50 PM

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

:)

Monty Python stuff-hilarious.

gster 09-30-15 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Shp4man (Post 18205440)
No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

:)

Monty Python stuff-hilarious.

Bicycle repair Man!
https://youtu.be/rxfzm9dfqBw

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=480101

Sixty Fiver 09-30-15 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18205714)
Bicycle repair Man!

Have never seen it.

;)

smontanaro 09-30-15 08:11 AM

Oddly enough (for you software types), there was a now defunct Python refactoring package called Bicycle Repair Man. :D

Velocivixen 09-30-15 09:07 AM

I've never seen that but now I adore the bicycle repair man. Very cute.

gster 09-30-15 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18206175)
I've never seen that but now I adore the bicycle repair man. Very cute.

If you watch the video, he repairs a bike (3 speed) with a Dynohub but at the end hands over a different racing bike.

Velocivixen 09-30-15 11:00 AM

@gster - I'll have to watch it again. I noted the very bent spokes.

arex 10-01-15 07:57 AM

Opinions and thoughts, please.

Do you consider it crass to do major upgrades to an old 3-speed, instead of a faithful restoration? I'm about to tear into the '71 Raleigh I got for my wife, and while it's fairly complete, I'd like to do something to get the weight of it down, as well as improving braking, better saddle, etc. I don't intend to customize it to the degree that I did my own Raleigh, but I'd like to improve on certain things.

My own thoughts are that if it was an OLD Raleigh from the '50s or '60s, I'd endeavor to be more faithful to the original and do a proper restoration. However, I feel that a Sports from the '70s (when the general quality was starting to slip a bit) is fair game.

3speedslow 10-01-15 08:06 AM

I think you will be fine. If she likes the bike better then she would ride more. Win,win.

Sounds like those mentioned are good improvements.

thumpism 10-01-15 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by arex (Post 18208660)
Opinions and thoughts, please.

Do you consider it crass to do major upgrades to an old 3-speed, instead of a faithful restoration? I'm about to tear into the '71 Raleigh I got for my wife, and while it's fairly complete, I'd like to do something to get the weight of it down, as well as improving braking, better saddle, etc. I don't intend to customize it to the degree that I did my own Raleigh, but I'd like to improve on certain things.

My own thoughts are that if it was an OLD Raleigh from the '50s or '60s, I'd endeavor to be more faithful to the original and do a proper restoration. However, I feel that a Sports from the '70s (when the general quality was starting to slip a bit) is fair game.

I have three from about the same period, an M23" with a few mods, an L23" I'm saving for my dotage, and an L19" that I'll fix up for my wife. If any were in beautiful original condition I'd have reservations about modding them, but with scratches, faded paint and some rust I feel it's okay to exercise my ideas on them. All deserve lower gearing so each would get a 22T cog at the very least.

noglider 10-01-15 11:28 AM

@arex, whatever you do is fine. Your delineation is fine though arbitrary, but that's how it goes. I don't think you'll ever make it a light bike, and it would be expensive just to make it slightly lighter. Aluminum rims are a worthwhile investment. An aluminum crankset would reduce weight further, but it's expensive, and the weight savings would be small. You could replace the handlebar and stem for further weight reduction. You could replace the fenders with plastic ones, and that would save weight, but they won't be as reliable. You could replace the chainguard, but you'll never get one as good. Or you could remove the chainguard. I probably wouldn't do most of these things to a 3-speed except change the rims. But if you did any or all of them, I wouldn't call you crazy.

Panaracer Col de la Vie tires are said to be really good. They may be worthwhile. I had Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on my 3-speed and found them to give a very harsh ride. I like the cheap Kendas better.

Velocivixen 10-01-15 11:37 AM

I think you'll be fine. It's really whatever you​ can live with. If it will mean that she will ride it more, then I say give it a try. Keep original components.

arex 10-01-15 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18209308)
@arex, whatever you do is fine. Your delineation is fine though arbitrary, but that's how it goes. I don't think you'll ever make it a light bike, and it would be expensive just to make it slightly lighter. Aluminum rims are a worthwhile investment. An aluminum crankset would reduce weight further, but it's expensive, and the weight savings would be small. You could replace the handlebar and stem for further weight reduction. You could replace the fenders with plastic ones, and that would save weight, but they won't be as reliable. You could replace the chainguard, but you'll never get one as good. Or you could remove the chainguard. I probably wouldn't do most of these things to a 3-speed except change the rims. But if you did any or all of them, I wouldn't call you crazy.

Panaracer Col de la Vie tires are said to be really good. They may be worthwhile. I had Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on my 3-speed and found them to give a very harsh ride. I like the cheap Kendas better.

I wasn't going to go as far as replacing the crank...while I did do it on my own bike with good results, I also recognize that I got pretty lucky in getting everything to fit right. I'm not looking for a struggle with Linda's bike.

I was think about aluminum rims, stem, handlebars, and seat post, and I've already rounded up a nice B-66S for it. I think if I could knock 5 pounds or so off the weight, I'd be happy. I think it's doable.