Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mavic Ksyrium SL front wheel Screeching (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266230)

Ramshackle 01-15-23 11:20 AM

Mavic Ksyrium SL front wheel Screeching

I recently purchased a set of used Mavic Ksyrium SL (rim brake) wheels in pristine condition with almost no wear on the braking surface. All went well until one day the front wheel started intermittently screeching really loud. I stopped and and when I started back the noise would usually (but not always) go away for the rest of the ride. I replaced the bearings, lubed everything, and adjusted the preload correctly (or at least i think so). Still the same screeching noise that comes and goes..

While I know this problem has been discussed in forums around 6-10 years ago, none of the solutions have worked for me. I'm just hoping that in the intervening years someone has found a solution or figured out the real causes. It's mind boggling since the system is pretty simple--hub, axle, bearings, etc.

Kontact 01-15-23 12:19 PM

Resonance? Are all the spokes tight? Do you have a valve stem nut, and is it tight?

Are there any dust shields that are touching something they don't move with?

bargainguy 01-15-23 01:16 PM

Screeching that isn't rim or brake pad related makes me think the front tire is hitting somewhere it isn't supposed to.

I'm assuming it doesn't contact the underside of the fork, the brake calipers, or the fork blades on either side.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss to explain screeching. Typically when bearings go, they bind and make crunchy noises, not necessarily screeching noises.

Ramshackle 01-16-23 03:20 AM

I checked the spokes and there is lots of room between the fork, the tires and the brakes. Nothing rubbing there.

jgwilliams 01-16-23 03:28 AM

Are you absolutely certain it's the front wheel? If you've replace the bearings and it's still happening I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. There is a well known issue with Mavic freehubs screeching - in fact, I had it happen to mine.

Ramshackle 01-16-23 11:42 AM

Did you ever figure out why your Mavic was screeching? Anyway, I'll install another wheel (Fulcrum S-19) just to make sure it's absolutely the front wheel..

redtires 01-18-23 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jgwilliams (Post 22770382)
Are you absolutely certain it's the front wheel? If you've replace the bearings and it's still happening I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. There is a well known issue with Mavic freehubs screeching - in fact, I had it happen to mine.

This is what I was going to ask... "are you 100% it's the front wheel"? The "Mavic howl of death" is well documented and pretty easily remedied.

alcjphil 01-18-23 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by redtires (Post 22773112)
This is what I was going to ask... "are you 100% it's the front wheel"? The "Mavic howl of death" is well documented and pretty easily remedied.

The Mavic "howl of death" from the rear wheel is well known. Any experienced group cyclist has heard it many times. The only thing that I have never heard of is excessive noise from a front Mavic hub. Trouble shooting time. Take the front hub out of the conversation by changing the front wheel

jgwilliams 01-18-23 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ramshackle (Post 22770753)
Did you ever figure out why your Mavic was screeching? Anyway, I'll install another wheel (Fulcrum S-19) just to make sure it's absolutely the front wheel..

Yes. I got the freehub serviced and the squeal went away. Simples! :)

georges1 01-21-23 05:54 PM

If you have the warranty or if the wheelsare almost like new ,go check your mavic retailer and get it fixed

Ramshackle 01-21-23 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by georges1 (Post 22776740)
If you have the warranty or if the wheelsare almost like new ,go check your mavic retailer and get it fixed

Bought it used and I'm not sure there is even a Mavic dealer here. Changed out the wheel and the noise went away. When I have time, I'll try again to figure out the problem.