Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Florida Man Questions Grail Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242769)

Korina 11-24-21 03:18 AM

Florida Man Questions Grail Bikes

The Psychic Derailleur is interesting and fun; this is just this week's micro dose.

Barry2 11-24-21 09:06 AM

TL; DW

I gave up before he got to the point!

Barry

sarhog 11-24-21 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barry2 (Post 22318713)
TL; DW

Barry

Same here.

prairiepedaler 11-24-21 09:23 AM

Someone should write this vlogger and ask him to contribute to this thread.

MattTheHat 11-24-21 09:32 AM

I think if I'd been at YouTube for 3 years with almost 180 videos and only had 957 subscribers...I'd find another hobby. I admire his sticktoitiveness.

indyfabz 11-24-21 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by sarhog (Post 22318721)
Same here.

+2.

Anyone care to provide an executive summary?

mstateglfr 11-24-21 09:44 AM

Minute and a half in and he hast said anything about bikes.

Based on the OP, I'm guessing this guy talks about simplicity, longevity, etc.

Mojo31 11-24-21 10:14 AM

Florida Man after all.

woodcraft 11-24-21 10:51 AM

I watched 4 minutes- 1/2 of the video, and did not identify any point that he was trying to make.

Good before-bed watching, maybe...

downtube42 11-24-21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 22318752)
I think if I'd been at YouTube for 3 years with almost 180 videos and only had 957 subscribers...I'd find another hobby. I admire his sticktoitiveness.

It's just a video diary he's made public.

Korina 11-24-21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Barry2 (Post 22318713)
TL; DW

Barry

And you felt the need to share your disinterest with the universe because...?

Trakhak 11-24-21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22318755)
+2.

Anyone care to provide an executive summary?

Watched most of it, at 1.75 speed (you can click on the toothed gear symbol at the bottom of a video and then select a speed setting).

His point: he says that many people he knows lusted after specific grail bikes for their looks and gave no or little thought to how they would ride and then found themselves disappointed with the reality that the bikes didn't ride differently from what they already have, or not differently enough, and so sold the bikes on.

As usual with such idiosyncratic sweeping statements, his "many people" probably represents two people, if that many. Or maybe he just came up with his own conjecture concerning why someone he once saw riding an older high-end bike is now riding a newer bike.

If that video is representative of the depth of his thinking, I'll save myself the trouble of looking at other videos from him.

indyfabz 11-24-21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 22319498)
Watched most of it, at 1.75 speed (you can click on the toothed gear symbol at the bottom of a video and then select a speed setting).

His point: he says that many people he knows lusted after specific grail bikes for their looks and gave no or little thought to how they would ride and then found themselves disappointed with the reality that the bikes didn't ride differently from what they already have, or not differently enough, and so sold the bikes on.

As usual with such idiosyncratic sweeping statements, his "many people" probably represents two people, if that many. Or maybe he just came up with his own conjecture concerning why someone he once saw riding an older high-end bike is now riding a newer bike.

If that video is representative of the depth of his thinking, I'll save myself the trouble of looking at other videos from him.

Based on his request for likes and comments, I think he’s trying to monetize his channel.

Pro tip: Get to the point already.

mstateglfr 11-24-21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 22319452)

Because this is a message board where topics are discussed and opinions are shared.

Kapusta 11-25-21 05:47 AM

To save other people the time of watching it?

Koyote 11-25-21 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22319530)
Based on his request for likes and comments, I think he’s trying to monetize his channel.

Pro tip: Get to the point already.

If the point is banal, he’s still not gonna make any money.

Barry2 11-25-21 11:35 AM

Yes, that’s what you just did.
Felt good didn’t it.

😂

Korina 11-25-21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22319605)
Because this is a message board where topics are discussed and opinions are shared.

Okay. I'm weird then; when I dislike something I just keep on walking.

Maelochs 11-26-21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 22320486)
Okay. I'm weird then; when I dislike something I just keep on walking.

Dude are you seriously criticizing someone for saying he didn't like a video? How is his saying he didn't like a video worse than your saying you don't like his post?

Oh, and why don't you go back and call out the rest of the posters who .... also said they didn't like the video?

I know if is getting cold out, but please .... bundle up and go for a ride.

Korina 11-26-21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22320589)
Dude are you seriously criticizing someone for saying he didn't like a video? How is his saying he didn't like a video worse than your saying you don't like his post?

Oh, and why don't you go back and call out the rest of the posters who .... also said they didn't like the video?

I know if is getting cold out, but please .... bundle up and go for a ride.

Yeah, sorry. I don't write snark, and this is why.

Maelochs 11-26-21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 22321173)
Yeah, sorry. I don't write snark, and this is why.

let me apologize as well, then .... I had to work unreasonable amounts over the weekend and early this week and haven't gotten out on my bike in far too long.

It doesn't take a lot of miles to clear out the crap .... and it doesn't take too many days of not riding for the crap to collect.

I desperately need to take my own advice and go ride.

Korina 11-26-21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22321176)
let me apologize as well, then .... I had to work unreasonable amounts over the weekend and early this week and haven't gotten out on my bike in far too long.

It doesn't take a lot of miles to clear out the crap .... and it doesn't take too many days of not riding for the crap to collect.

I desperately need to take my own advice and go ride.

Ditto. Except it's near sunset, and it's too cold. Probably tomorrow at the Volunteer Trail Stewards workday; last time I did over 12 miles just riding back and forth carrying things and messages.

SurferRosa 11-26-21 11:37 PM

I watch stuff like this in the app at 1.5x.

​​​​​​I hope his other videos are better.

It sounded like the Long Haul Trucker was his grail bike. Eww.

PeteHski 11-27-21 06:20 AM

I think if you ever get to the point where your dream bike disappoints, then it's probably time to look for a new hobby. Or at least re-define what your dream bike actually is.

Maelochs 11-27-21 07:46 AM

Funny ... my bikes are all better than me already. I don't have a "grail bike." What I seek are better rides .... and that is all about the state of mind and body of the rider.