Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Night riding with coyotes. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228862)

SkinGriz 04-22-21 08:40 PM

Yotes and barn owls are way more ubiquitous than most realize. Most people just don’t see them during the day, so they don’t realize even in urban environments these type of animals are around.

rsbob 04-22-21 08:43 PM

Have seen coyotes while mountain biking and they either run or keep their distance. Was surprised one time going thru a local town with 6 miles to go, to hear claws on the pavement gaining on me. Knowing it was a dog in hot pursuit, I got out of the saddle and sprinted up to 26 MPH and dropped him. We both got a good workout; however, never got a look at it.

No need to fear coyotes unless there have been local reports of aggression

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz (Post 22027262)
You’re fine. Neighborhood dogs chase you to try to be Alpha over you.
You probably had yotes sleeping in the bushes riding in the city/burbs and you didn’t know it.

You are the last thing a desert song dog wants to deal with.
If you were a toddler/preschooler? Sure.

In the city I had to worry more about robbers and muggers. At least coyotes don't carry guns

70sSanO 04-22-21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyB65 (Post 22026916)
I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues

Don’t worry, HIPPA will prevent the coyotes from knowing anything about your health issues.

John

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 22027245)
I used to live in Arizona and never heard of problems with coyotes and cyclists, hikers or hunters. Now, you "could" encounter one with rabies but that's a one-off. My personal experience with coyotes, and I saw them virtually every night on our property, is that if they see you, they run away. You could arm yourself with a pepper spray if it makes you more comfortable but I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I just saw a news video of a rabid bob cat attack a woman getting in her car

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 70ssano (Post 22027281)
don’t worry, hippa will prevent the coyotes from knowing anything about your health issues.

John

lol

rsbob 04-22-21 08:52 PM

Fear the rise of the robots!

Aroyobob 04-22-21 11:01 PM

I see them every once in a while on the MUP that runs along the Arizona Canal and along Skunk Creek Wash in Glendale & Peoria, AZ. Usually in the half-hour before dawn but have seen a few in daylight. They don't pay much attention to me (aren't scared of humans,) and usually seem to be going somewhere and crossing the path. More of a danger to cats and rabbits. Don't worry about it.

urbanknight 04-22-21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22026988)
I'd be shocked if you could get within 100 ft. of a coyote.

It's happened to me before. Mountain biking in broad daylight, I rounded a bend just in time to see one trotting off of the trail (probably because it heard me coming), but it stopped maybe 30 or 40 feet off the trail and just watched me ride by. The look on its face was curiosity, not fear or hunger. Another time a couple were walking down my street and saw my (medium sized) dogs next to me. They DID look at the dogs like they were contemplating their next meal, so I ushered them back in the house.

But yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a coyote attacking a human, but plenty about pets.

Badger6 04-22-21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by gringomojado (Post 22027125)
What is a white claw?

It's what all the kids are drinking now...

NeedARealBike 04-23-21 12:26 AM

I live in the desert too. No problem, they’re scrawny and run from humans. The bike lights scare them away from far out, specially on strobe modes. The real thing to worry about out here at night are the meth humans and various other insane people. Keep a pistol on you, lot of stupid white trash on the warm months. I notice the worst start creeping out of their garbage filled squats around June and are out til October or so.

Troul 04-23-21 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Badger6 (Post 22027418)
It's what all the kids are drinking now...

I have a new appreciation for budlight cans & bottles now that those WC containers are the norm in being pitched at me when road riding. Haven't had a full-one [WC] chucked at me yet, but they're still at a premium for demand that some wouldn't risk doin without.

Dan Burkhart 04-23-21 05:36 AM

Coyotes are ever present here, but encounters are rare, and almost always uneventful. My wife had one come right up to her while she was resting during her morning walk a few months ago.
I'm sure people must be hand feeding them, and they are losing their fear of humans. Not a good thing.
She snapped this photo while they were just looking at each other.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e5a5f65117.jpg

Snotrub 04-23-21 06:45 AM

We are surrounded by coyotes as we live out in the country. I started hunting them when they came into my horse barn and ate all 4 of my wife's barn cats. They are boogers to hunt, very smart and cunning. If they sniff one scent from a human, they're gone. If you happen to come across one or three, just make a lot of noise and stop riding. They'll scatter once you get off the bike.

Crazy story: A few months ago, I was in my man cave which looks out into the back pasture. As I walked by one of the windows, I caught a life form out of the corner of my eye. As I looked closer, it was a coyote, in the middle of the day, out about 250 yards from the house. He was eating something black but I couldn't tell what it was. All of my neighbors sheep and goats were lined up at their fence watching the coyote, which was weird. I ventured out the back door to see what he was eating and he ran off. As I got closer, I saw that he was eating a hawk. I wondered to myself how the heck that even happens and as I got closer, I saw blood and guts and rabbit fur right next to where the coyote was eating the hawk. So, apparently, the hawk killed the rabbit and while it was eating it on the ground, the coyote snuck up on it and ate the hawk and what was left of the rabbit. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

indyfabz 04-23-21 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz (Post 22027271)
Yotes and barn owls are way more ubiquitous than most realize. Most people just don’t see them during the day, so they don’t realize even in urban environments these type of animals are around.

Coyotes have been living in Cook County, IL, including within the city of Chicago, for ages. Almost never any human interaction. Coyote road kill has been found here in Philly. We have also had 3 black bears make their way into town over the last 5 years. Only one was captured, The other two are believed to have continued south.

So many folks are quite scared of, and uneducated about, the existence of wild life. i visited a wolf preserve in west central NJ many year back during a bike tour. They also had some fixes there that could not be released into the wild. One of the employees told us that when more city folk started moving to the relatively rural area (parts of NJ have a decent number of black bears) the police started receiving more and more calls from people thinking they were hearing women being attacked. Turned out that what they were hearing were foxes screaming.

mstateglfr 04-23-21 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis (Post 22027074)
But, if I ride alone at night, I take something that could double as a weapon. Anything that will poke and animals eye out if needed.

You have incredible aim. If I were in this position, I would want something that is more broad like a spray as I dont think I could poke the eye of a moving animal while I was on a moving bike. Thats Olympic level Biathlon type talent.

Happy Feet 04-23-21 08:32 AM

Rare, but not never.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...-stanley-park/

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...drie-children/

billridesbikes 04-23-21 09:41 AM

It is pup season, so there are some reports where I live of probably mama coyote being a bit more aggressive especially if people are running or walking with dogs on BLM trails.
Never had a problem with them while cycling.
I think there are probably a lot more coyotes nearby you and living among us that you never see, especially if a lot of cats in your neighborhood go missing.

JohnnyB65 04-23-21 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 22027746)

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not afraid of them just walking down the road, but racing past them could trigger them into a chase.

2old 04-23-21 10:09 AM

My wife was a singer and would get home at two or three AM, when I would ride, so saw lots of coyotes, including packs that paced me when I rode, but never had a problem. I guess there's always the possibility that one (or more) could have rabies though.

SkinGriz 04-23-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22027451)
I have a new appreciation for budlight cans & bottles now that those WC containers are the norm in being pitched at me when road riding. Haven't had a full-one [WC] chucked at me yet, but they're still at a premium for demand that some wouldn't risk doin without.

The wine cooler got a new package and trendy again? Didn’t know anything about White Claw till this thread.

Can’t stand bullies. Doesn’t matter which side of the law.

The OP probably doesn’t need anyone to tell him that drinking wine coolers while riding a bike will increase his chances of crashing which will increase his chances of being eaten by coyotes.

I would be a bit more concerned if their were mountain lions in the area.

SkinGriz 04-23-21 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22027729)
You have incredible aim. If I were in this position, I would want something that is more broad like a spray as I dont think I could poke the eye of a moving animal while I was on a moving bike. Thats Olympic level Biathlon type talent.

just gotta practice more.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...027e7da44.jpeg

HarborBandS 04-23-21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22027635)
Coyotes have been living in Cook County, IL, including within the city of Chicago, for ages. Almost never any human interaction.

I'm in a dense commuter rail suburb in DuPage, and I see coyotes on a regular basis. They will walk past my driveway in the middle of the day, paying no mind to anyone around. They are really more of a threat to pets than humans.

livedarklions 04-23-21 12:27 PM

My impression is it does happen (definitely), but it's so unusual that no one can generalize what is and isn't a trigger.

This one seems to have taken a dislike to mountain bikers:
​​​​​​​
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/north-...nd-hikers.html

JohnnyB65 04-23-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22028162)
My impression is it does happen (definitely), but it's so unusual that no one can generalize what is and isn't a trigger.

This one seems to have taken a dislike to mountain bikers:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/north-...nd-hikers.html

Oh WOW, so it does happen, Thanks for the info