Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

michaelz28 02-04-15 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 17529245)
michaelz28,
That post is at a comfy height for me. I used to be 6'1" with a 34" inseam and most of my road bikes are 62-64CM or 24-25". I seem to be shrinking in my old age but the standover height on these bikes still feels right and I have not yet adjusted my seats downward.

Good on your for saving your Sports.

gravity sucks for me too . my sports . it went into the green storage box with the open lid with 25 miles ..http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432522

adventurepdx 02-04-15 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17528919)
I'm bringing my Humbers to that one!!

How many is that?

Salubrious 02-04-15 09:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a pair- a Gent's and a Lady's.http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432536http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432537http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432538

thumpism 02-05-15 10:16 AM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17529312)
gravity sucks for me too . my sports . it went into the green storage box with the open lid with 25 miles ..http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432522

Yours looks to be in better shape than mine. I do not mind some scratched paint and some dents on this one since I bought it to ride and parked it at school daily. Some stuff I buy I want to be pristine, but things that will be used and lived with are better off pre-patina-ed. I'd feel bad if the nice stuff took a beating on my watch.

Salubrious 02-05-15 11:42 AM

Since the Riva-Sport appears to be French I have started a separate thread:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...t-3-speed.html

streets 02-05-15 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Added another to my collection. Spied something bike shaped on the front lawn of a nice area along with a petrol mower and a broken wheelbarrow. It looked like it was being left for scrap collection and luckily I was driving a van at the time, so I knocked the door and was told by the gent to take it.
The petrol lawnmower is almost unused, the wheelbarrow is knackered and this 3 Speed is a gem.

Looks to be 60s or 70s I think looking at the head badge, but the hub is a 1980. I reckon at some point in the 80s or 90s it's had a freshen up with new wheels and tyres, new Brooks saddle and some new old stock mudguards which are gold pin-striped and as new underneath. The frame has been repainted and I don't think it's been ridden hardly since then.
I took it out for a few leisure rides but it's too small for me really so it's stripped down for paintwork and a fresh rebuild.
I've not come across a stem like this one before, with the quill bolt also clamping the handlebars in one. My knowledge is far from complete though!
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432615http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432612

Velocivixen 02-05-15 12:15 PM

@streets - A Raleigh of some kind? Wonderful find.

gster 02-05-15 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by streets (Post 17530852)
Added another to my collection. Spied something bike shaped on the front lawn of a nice area along with a petrol mower and a broken wheelbarrow. It looked like it was being left for scrap collection and luckily I was driving a van at the time, so I knocked the door and was told by the gent to take it.
The petrol lawnmower is almost unused, the wheelbarrow is knackered and this 3 Speed is a gem.

Looks to be 60s or 70s I think looking at the head badge, but the hub is a 1980. I reckon at some point in the 80s or 90s it's had a freshen up with new wheels and tyres, new Brooks saddle and some new old stock mudguards which are gold pin-striped and as new underneath. The frame has been repainted and I don't think it's been ridden hardly since then.
I took it out for a few leisure rides but it's too small for me really so it's stripped down for paintwork and a fresh rebuild.
I've not come across a stem like this one before, with the quill bolt also clamping the handlebars in one. My knowledge is far from complete though!
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432615http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432612

Good score! Nothing like a free bike.

streets 02-05-15 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17530871)
@streets - A Raleigh of some kind? Wonderful find.

Oh sorry yes it's a Raleigh, think it's probably a Sport but I'm not too certain.

Yeah really happy with the score, can't imagine someone actually scrapping it!

Bandera 02-05-15 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 17530954)
Good score! Nothing like a free bike.

"Free" bikes are like "free" kittens/puppies...........;)

michaelz28 02-05-15 01:26 PM

74 the adjustment cable switched to the lower frame routing

tbo 02-05-15 01:41 PM

Raleigh Sports in the '70's had the heron crank, but an older one or one from a different marque would certainly been acceptable replacement. As long as it is 46t with a 9.5 mm cotter, it would probably work!

It might be the photograph, but the seat tube angle seems mighty slack for a Sports or equivalent. Really could be the picture, though. If it really is that slack, could be Tourist or similar.

Also, it is just me or is the brake lever position really wonky on this bike?

Salubrious 02-05-15 01:43 PM

Its the camera angle. A tourist, even from 1979, has rod brakes.

tbo 02-05-15 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17531162)
Its the camera angle. A tourist, even from 1979, has rod brakes.

Thanks. Thought so.

streets 02-05-15 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by tbo (Post 17531158)
Raleigh Sports in the '70's had the heron crank, but an older one or one from a different marque would certainly been acceptable replacement. As long as it is 46t with a 9.5 mm cotter, it would probably work!

It might be the photograph, but the seat tube angle seems mighty slack for a Sports or equivalent. Really could be the picture, though. If it really is that slack, could be Tourist or similar.

Also, it is just me or is the brake lever position really wonky on this bike?

I think I'll just add a demi chain guard and maybe swap out those pedals for some rubber blocks and roll it like that. Yeah the brake levers are wonky and also mis-matched but I should be able to dig out a pair of suitable chrome levers for it. Same for the calipers, they're odd and need rectifying with something from the parts stash.
She's a lovely old thing but definitely too small for me. Think I might just be flipping this one but I need to fight my compulsive urge to hoard it.


Thanks for the info on the age, it also has an oil port on the b/b if that helps any. Steel not brass. Headset is an older type, can't make out a frame number until the frame's been media blasted.

adventurepdx 02-05-15 03:10 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17529504)
I have a pair- a Gent's and a Lady's.

Cool. Are you going to ride one and ghost ride the other? ;)

Salubrious 02-05-15 04:05 PM

A friend of mine is riding the other :)

thumpism 02-05-15 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You people are a bad influence.

I've been riding my brown M23 Sports off and on with no thought of the two ladies' bikes until posting in this forum and now I've dragged them out for pix. Well, the green L23 that was in a box since shortly after the day I dragged it home fifteen years ago was looking at me when I went in the garage this afternoon and I thought, "Maybe I'll just stick a few parts on it and see how it looks. I never really got a good look at it before and I've forgotten all the details." Fiddled with this and that while stumbling around looking for tools I've not used lately and it turns out all this really needs to be rideable is a rear tube. Tires are rotted, of course, but they'd work with air in 'em and the front holds. Amazing! It's no prettier than my M23 but that's okay, I do not need a looker. The blue L19 just happens to have a front that holds air so I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432652

Velocivixen 02-05-15 07:22 PM

Was looking on Harris Cyclery website and saw indicator pins/toggle chains, and under description stated they are one of the most commonly replaced part of SA hubs. Why is that? I've done numerous searches but nobody mentions why. I got an inkling that the chain links get worn.

Why are indicator pins commonly replaced?

Can you use 1/4" loose ball bearings in a vintage SA hub instead of caged? If not, then why? It would not be hard to put in some bearings & thread on the cones. Have you ever done it?

markk900 02-05-15 07:45 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17532113)
Why are indicator pins commonly replaced?

Don't know but would say that one reason (remembering from childhood where we had 3-speed chopper bikes) is that if bikes get laid down on the drive side the chain/pin is very exposed to damage. I can't honestly see them wearing out though, and the over 60 year old ones I have all look practically new....

michaelz28 02-05-15 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 17531789)
You people are a bad influence.

I've been riding my brown M23 Sports off and on with no thought of the two ladies' bikes until posting in this forum and now I've dragged them out for pix. Well, the green L23 that was in a box since shortly after the day I dragged it home fifteen years ago was looking at me when I went in the garage this afternoon and I thought, "Maybe I'll just stick a few parts on it and see how it looks. I never really got a good look at it before and I've forgotten all the details." Fiddled with this and that while stumbling around looking for tools I've not used lately and it turns out all this really needs to be rideable is a rear tube. Tires are rotted, of course, but they'd work with air in 'em and the front holds. Amazing! It's no prettier than my M23 but that's okay, I do not need a looker. The blue L19 just happens to have a front that holds air so I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=432652

spend a few minutes cleaning them . i didn't do anything on mine but oil and adjust the hub and clean the crap out out of it .car wax on the frames and chrome polish on the chrome . the paint and chrome on these things is a good quality and usually comes back to life with moderate effort . granted mine was in good shape but was in a dumpster . i'm sure with some effort you can get the old girl to shine..

Peugeotlover 02-05-15 07:57 PM

Here is Sheldon Brown's Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub service write-up.
Technical, but interesting.

Servicing Sturmey-Archer 3-Speed Hubs

forestine 02-05-15 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17532113)
Was looking on Harris Cyclery website and saw indicator pins/toggle chains, and under description stated they are one of the most commonly replaced part of SA hubs. Why is that? I've done numerous searches but nobody mentions why. I got an inkling that the chain links get worn.

Why are indicator pins commonly replaced?

@nelsonmilum and I just replaced our cables and indicator pins because the shifting was skippy on both bikes and we saw that line on their site, too. It helped but maybe we didn't need new chains - once I got them side by side, the old chain didn't really look that bad at all. Maybe they could get tweaked or bent?

Velocivixen 02-05-15 08:16 PM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17532201)
Here is Sheldon Brown's Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub service write-up.
Technical, but interesting.

Servicing Sturmey-Archer 3-Speed Hubs

Yeah, I used some of that info. when I rebuilt my AG Dyno-Three. Doesn't say why indicatory pin needs replacing.

How about loose ball bearings? vs caged? Anyone done it? Reason not to?

nlerner 02-05-15 08:16 PM

Preventing damage to the toggle chain is why they came out with these:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQ4WDg2NA...zmQ~~60_35.JPG


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.