Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

big john 09-09-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222580)
I used to enjoy arguing politics, back when we all shared a reality.

I did a bit of that for a few years. My objective was usually to get the person I was arguing with to use facts and reference documents to support their claims, instead of just hurling insults and parroting some internet meme or their favorite talking head.
It could get interesting if they would try to explain their side and actually make a point. Most of that went away after last November.

Now, I rarely get involved and have blocked people I used to engage, including a family member who I once cared about and respected.

genejockey 09-09-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222322)
You are very right. It's a bluefish. If they get into a feeding frenzy chasing a school of smaller fish up the coastline they can occasionally bite swimmers. Strong, nasty suckers. The small ones are called "snappers." The large ones are "chompers." An old friend hauled one onto a party boat and it bit him on he ankle. Many people don't like the last because it's an oily, "fishy" tasting fish. But that makes them great for grilling.

Years ago, when one BIL was still in the Navy, and another had a boat moored at Annapolis, we used to go to the Naval Recreation Center at Solomons MD. One year the BIL brought his boat over and we guys went out fishing. We pulled in about 2 dozen bluefish. Yeah, they're great grilled or broiled. Then again, I don't mind oily, fishy fish. I even eat sardines.

sbxx1985 09-09-21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222580)
I used to enjoy arguing politics, back when we all shared a reality.

It's like beating your head against the wall.

genejockey 09-09-21 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22222634)
I did a bit of that for a few years. My objective was usually to get the person I was arguing with to use facts and reference documents to support their claims, instead of just hurling insults and parroting some internet meme or their favorite talking head.
It could get interesting if they would try to explain their side and actually make a point. Most of that went away after last November.

Now, I rarely get involved and have blocked people I used to engage, including a family member who I once cared about and respected.

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!
A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!
M: Oh! Oh I see!
A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.
M: Oh... Sorry...
A: Not at all!
A: (under his breath) stupid git.

Eric F 09-09-21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222649)
It's like beating your head against the wall.

...but not as enjoyable.

LAJ 09-09-21 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222610)
You're right. I should have thought it through.

I rode a disc bike although I have a rim brake bike.
Disc braking is better than rim braking.
I rode with shorts and a t-shirt but old team socks.
Tubeless is for hipsters.

You'll have to pry my Black Prince brake (break) pads from my cold dead paws.

Good to see you. :thumb:

genejockey 09-09-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22222657)
...but not as enjoyable.

Depends. If it's an open exchange of views, based on shared acceptance of the same data, that can be fun and enlightening.

Eric F 09-09-21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222694)
Depends. If it's an open exchange of views, based on shared acceptance of the same data, that can be fun and enlightening.

I agree with that. So far, I've had that experience about as often as a blind squirrel finds a nut.

genejockey 09-09-21 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22222703)
I agree with that. So far, I've had that experience about as often as a blind squirrel finds a nut.

It didn't useta be that way. Not all the time, anyhow. It's why I largely gave up on it, though I have had some excellent discussions in the past. But we're talking nearly 20 years ago.

WhyFi 09-09-21 12:20 PM

LPLO, yet again.

Eric F 09-09-21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222706)
It didn't useta be that way. Not all the time, anyhow. It's why I largely gave up on it, though I have had some excellent discussions in the past. But we're talking nearly 20 years ago.

Agreed. The topic is currently more polarizing that I've ever experienced, which has made rational discussion of differing opinions increasingly difficult.

genejockey 09-09-21 12:24 PM

On happier topics - bicycle addiction - I signed up for Zwift Academy this year, figuring I could use some structure in my training. Hoo boy. The baseline ride went pretty well - 3 segments mixed in with about an hour long ride: a 2 minute climb, a 25 second sprint, and a 10 minute climb. I did pretty well, surprised myself by managing 25 seconds at an average of 821w in the sprint. So I was feeling pretty darn good about myself.

Then I did the first workout - VO2max Over/Unders. 3 intervals of 2' at 300w, 1' at 245w, 1' at 300w, 2' at 245w. Managed the first one, but halfway through the second, I thought I was gonna die! Maybe I went too hard on the previous days IRL ride, but I can tell you that 1 1/2 out of 3 intervals left me - well, not shattered, exactly, but certainly showing a number of cracks.

Maybe I'm too old for this stuff? Or too wimpy.

big john 09-09-21 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222656)
M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!
A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!
M: Oh! Oh I see!
A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.
M: Oh... Sorry...
A: Not at all!
A: (under his breath) stupid git.

That was never 5 minutes! Yes it was!

BillyD 09-09-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222322)
You are very right. It's a bluefish. If they get into a feeding frenzy chasing a school of smaller fish up the coastline they can occasionally bite swimmers. Strong, nasty suckers. The small ones are called "snappers." The large ones are "chompers." An old friend hauled one onto a party boat and it bit him on he ankle. Many people don't like the last because it's an oily, "fishy" tasting fish. But that makes them great for grilling.

They're delicious and healthy, high in omega 3s. The big ones are called gators, I used to fish for them all the time. I also love fishing for the scrappy snappers, but they're too small to eat . . . catch & release.

Mojo31 09-09-21 12:43 PM

We are friends with exactly one couple that we feel free to discuss politics with.

If we discussed politics with anyone else we know, we would be shunned in the community. We likewise never contribute to any party affiliated candidates other than perhaps judges that I have to work with. The good thing is the the lower level judicial races are not so much about right/left positions. It's more about keeping the good ones in office, and keeping the political dolts out.

Mojo31 09-09-21 12:44 PM

Any one ever eat gar?

genejockey 09-09-21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22222765)
Any one ever eat gar?

I have heard they're very boney and not at all worth the trouble.

Mojo31 09-09-21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222785)
I have heard they're very boney and not at all worth the trouble.

That's what I've always heard. There were some groups around my home town that would grind them up and cook it like ground meat. Cajuns grind it up and make fried patties out of it as well. Never acquired the taste.

Really like fried Crappie.

big john 09-09-21 01:02 PM

Got a jury duty summons.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c1e494585e.jpg

DougRNS 09-09-21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22222594)
Wheel question. I am going to need two rear wheels for the Habanero once it goes to 11. For summertime/dry conditions, my friend who permanently loaned me the Reynolds Assaults (from roughly 2012) believes he has the 11 speed freehub body, so that's covered. For off-season I do have some old and crappy wheels like the ones I am running now, but these are pretty long in the tooth and probably NOT worth trying to track down 11s freehub bodies for.

tl;dr I need a reasonably good but budget-level aluminum rim rear wheel for 11s clincher, does NOT need to be tubeless compatible. I generally think of something like Mavic Aksium but I wonder if there are others to consider. Budget is $150-250. Would consider getting a companion front wheel for matchy-matchy if price is right (say max $500 for F+R).

Suggestions??

your tldr is tldr

indyfabz 09-09-21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22222796)

Heh. I got one a couple of days ago. October 20th. Total waste of everyone's time. As a lawyer, plaintiff's counsel does not want me for a civil trial because I will actually evaluate the evidence in light of the law and not just vote on sympathy. As for criminal trails, my old man was once Philly's Chief of Pubic Defenders. I have to disclose that on the questionnaire even though he's been dead since '96. (In Philly, a public defender is considered a member of law enforcement for jury duty purposes.) That always gets me tossed for cause. One time I got picked for a pool. When I got called into the room the court clerk said he would not waste any more of my time but wanted to tell me on behalf of himself and the judge that my dad was a good man. Another time, during voir dire, the judge asked me why I had indicated that someone in my immediate family had been a member of law enforcement. I explained who my dad was. I could see an older lawyer at one of the tables shake his head as if to say to himself "That's where I know that last name from." Was sent to a small room. Sat down. Maybe a minute later the bailiff opened the door and told me I was excused.

But it's a day out of the office with pay and an extra $9, which covers lunch.

indyfabz 09-09-21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22222765)
Any one ever eat gar?

No, but like David Letterman, I used to have a crush on Terri Garr.

https://prod-images.tcm.com/Master-P...s/TeriGarr.jpg

datlas 09-09-21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22222831)
your tldr is tldr

budget 11 speed aluminum rim brake rear wheel suggestions?

sbxx1985 09-09-21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22222670)
You'll have to pry my Black Prince brake (break) pads from my cold dead paws.

Good to see you. :thumb:

I knew you'd say that. I felt the least strong about that one. I love my rim brake bikes and I'm not giving them up either.

MoAlpha 09-09-21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222647)
Naval Recreation Center at Solomons MD

Used it as a base for cycling around Calvert and St. Mary's counties with LSS and a baby one long weekend.