Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

indyfabz 05-09-22 08:59 AM

Don't tell anyone, but the Rapha Core jersey is on sale for $55.

WhyFi 05-09-22 09:02 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22500319)
Don't tell anyone, but the Rapha Core jersey is on sale for $55.

Yup, a bunch are one sale for 20% off - Core, Core Lightweight, Pro Team Training, Pro Team, etc. If I didn't plan on taking advantage of their 50% off downsizing program relatively soon, I'd probably pick up one or two during this sale.

Mojo31 05-09-22 09:09 AM

1:36 wait for a 2 minute conversation.

WhyFi 05-09-22 09:21 AM

I just got an email from my daughter's preschool. The subject line reads "Your Invited to the Preschool GRADUATION!"

:twitchy: & :rolleyes:

genejockey 05-09-22 09:44 AM

Embarrassment of riches again.
Wordle 324 5/6

🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

indyfabz 05-09-22 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22500344)
I just got an email from my daughter's preschool. The subject line reads "Your Invited to the Preschool GRADUATION!"

:twitchy: & :rolleyes:

Starting them early. I suspect Big Diploma Framing is behind that.

big john 05-09-22 10:14 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22500344)
I just got an email from my daughter's preschool. The subject line reads "Your Invited to the Preschool GRADUATION!"

:twitchy: & :rolleyes:

"Your"? Amazing how many errors there are in school documents. Mrs John worked in the administration offices at schools here for 18+ years. Prior to that she had been a proof reader and copy editor and she can pick the mistakes out of a document quickly. She offered to look at the school newsletter and other forms and administration agreed until they realized how many errors there were. They ended up telling her something like "you're too picky" and "it doesn't really matter" and other cop outs when she found the pages full of spelling and grammatical problems.

LAJ 05-09-22 10:20 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22500413)
"Your"? Amazing how many errors there are in school documents. Mrs John worked in the administration offices at schools here for 18+ years. Prior to that she had been a proof reader and copy editor and she can pick the mistakes out of a document quickly. She offered to look at the school newsletter and other forms and administration agreed until they realized how many errors there were. They ended up telling her something like "you're too picky" and "it doesn't really matter" and other cop outs when she found the pages full of spelling and grammatical problems.

Yep. I already said my piece on gubmint. I thought I better just hush about this.

genejockey 05-09-22 10:21 AM

Ran into a snag while updating the Litespeed. It seems Shimano's new front derailleurs for braze-on mounting have a "support bolt", which is supposed to be used to push the tail of the cage outward, by pushing against a little plate you attach to your frame. This is based on an assumption of where your brazeion FD mount is on the seat tube. But because the Ultimate's seat tube is NOT where you'd expect (because it's curved forward to shorten the chainstays) the screw has nothing to push against.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...01ed4fd0d7.jpg
I'm still waiting on the crank and BB, which are apparently on the truck to be delivered today (!). But looking at it, I THINK the tail is NOT turned in, and it might be fine. This kind of stuff happens when you try and update a 1995 frame with 2020 technology, I guess.

LAJ 05-09-22 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22500423)
Ran into a snag while updating the Litespeed. It seems Shimano's new front derailleurs for braze-on mounting have a "support bolt", which is supposed to be used to push the tail of the cage outward, by pushing against a little plate you attach to your frame. This is based on an assumption of where your brazeion FD mount is on the seat tube. But because the Ultimate's seat tube is NOT where you'd expect (because it's curved forward to shorten the chainstays) the screw has nothing to push against.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...01ed4fd0d7.jpg
I'm still waiting on the crank and BB, which are apparently on the truck to be delivered today (!). But looking at it, I THINK the tail is NOT turned in, and it might be fine. This kind of stuff happens when you try and update a 1995 frame with 2020 technology, I guess.

I've only seen that on the electical ones and it makes sense in that case.. Interesting. I bet you'll be fine.

genejockey 05-09-22 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22500431)
I've only seen that on the electical ones and it makes sense in that case.. Interesting. I bet you'll be fine.

Those old braze-on mounts have a bit of slop that allows some angle adjustment, I think. I hope....

EDIT: I just used a straight edge to check the alignment, and as it sits, waiting for the crankset, it's slightly tail-OUT. That's with me having turned it that way as much as I could when installing it. We'll see how it turns out!

LAJ 05-09-22 10:32 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22500434)
Those old braze-on mounts have a bit of slop that allows some angle adjustment, I think. I hope....

Actually, there should be enough slop to make it work. Basically, the motor in those front derailleurs are strong enough to compromise the mount on a frame, especially carbon.

mvnsnd 05-09-22 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22500423)
Ran into a snag while updating the Litespeed. It seems Shimano's new front derailleurs for braze-on mounting have a "support bolt", which is supposed to be used to push the tail of the cage outward, by pushing against a little plate you attach to your frame. This is based on an assumption of where your brazeion FD mount is on the seat tube. But because the Ultimate's seat tube is NOT where you'd expect (because it's curved forward to shorten the chainstays) the screw has nothing to push against.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...01ed4fd0d7.jpg
I'm still waiting on the crank and BB, which are apparently on the truck to be delivered today (!). But looking at it, I THINK the tail is NOT turned in, and it might be fine. This kind of stuff happens when you try and update a 1995 frame with 2020 technology, I guess.

You may be OK if the torque applied to the derailleur cage when shifting from the small to the big ring is not to much. My understanding was that bolt was there to prevent the derailleur from twisting while shifting and making for a better shift.

indyfabz 05-09-22 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22500324)
Yup, a bunch are one sale for 20% off - Core, Core Lightweight, Pro Team Training, Pro Team, etc. If I didn't plan on taking advantage of their 50% off downsizing program relatively soon, I'd probably pick up one or two during this sale.

Pulled the trigger on a dark green Core jersey after the wine color sold out in my size while I was lunching--literally and figuratively. It should go well with my panniers.

Velo Vol 05-09-22 10:53 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22500333)
1:36 wait for a 2 minute conversation.

I hear they've implemented a "problem caller" system--phone numbers which have previously been flagged are automatically bumped to the back of the queue.

WhyFi 05-09-22 10:55 AM

It's almost noon and the new espresso machine still isn't here. Between set-up and warm-up, I'm probably looking at 90 minutes between delivery and first shot. I don't usually like to drink espresso after 2pm or so, but I sure as hell ain't dialing in and getting to know a new machine while groggy at 6am tomorrow morning, so I'll just have to HTFU and take one (or two or three) for the team.

WhyFi 05-09-22 10:57 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22500461)
Pulled the trigger on a dark green Core jersey after the wine color sold out in my size while I was lunching--literally and figuratively. It should go well with my panniers.

I do like that wine colored one. Though I wouldn't buy it for myself, I really like that kind of periwinkle one, too.

Mojo31 05-09-22 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22500452)
You may be OK if the torque applied to the derailleur cage when shifting from the small to the big ring is not to much. My understanding was that bolt was there to prevent the derailleur from twisting while shifting and making for a better shift.

You are correct.

My 2020 Domane has the R7000 FD and has that same screw. You only screw it in until it touches the seat tube, and it is to stabilize the FD during shifting. My Domane did not have the little plate on the seat tube, and the screw was not in enough to tighten anything. The plate is only needed on CF frames, and is to keep the screw from damaging the frame.

I ended up adding the plate the screwing the screw in as designed. On the other hand, Trek did not believe it was required apparently. My guess is that you will be fine without it.

Velo Vol 05-09-22 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22500478)
It's almost noon and the new espresso machine still isn't here. Between set-up and warm-up, I'm probably looking at 90 minutes between delivery and first shot. I don't usually like to drink espresso after 2pm or so, but I sure as hell ain't dialing in and getting to know a new machine while groggy at 6am tomorrow morning, so I'll just have to HTFU and take one (or two or three) for the team.

Good grief.

Mojo31 05-09-22 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22500475)
I hear they've implemented a "problem caller" system--phone numbers which have previously been flagged are automatically bumped to the back of the queue.

I'm not a problem caller. People frequently pay me to call them since my phone calls are so pleasant.

Mojo31 05-09-22 11:14 AM

Seems there were two Wordle words today: NYT changes Wordle answer in wake of leaked Supreme Court draft opinion (msn.com)

Trsnrtr 05-09-22 11:15 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22500478)
It's almost noon and the new espresso machine still isn't here. Between set-up and warm-up, I'm probably looking at 90 minutes between delivery and first shot. I don't usually like to drink espresso after 2pm or so, but I sure as hell ain't dialing in and getting to know a new machine while groggy at 6am tomorrow morning, so I'll just have to HTFU and take one (or two or three) for the team.

You could do a Hoffman taste test and just take a sip and dump it. You know that it's going to take a few to get in the ball park.

Otherwise, you better put a cardiologist on speed dial. :lol:

Trsnrtr 05-09-22 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22500490)
I'm not a problem caller. People frequently pay me to call them since my phone calls are so pleasant.

I come from a long line of pleasant callers...

Velo Vol 05-09-22 11:24 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22500490)
I'm not a problem caller. People frequently pay me to call them since my phone calls are so pleasant.

You were a party line regular back in the day?


WhyFi 05-09-22 11:34 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22500487)
Good grief.

I know - the sacrifice is inspiring, innit?


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22500503)
You could do a Hoffman taste test and just take a sip and dump it. You know that it's going to take a few to get in the ball park.

Otherwise, you better put a cardiologist on speed dial. :lol:

My RHR is still elevated (53bpm :eek:) from being sick the other week, so I'll try to limit myself to two. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.