Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Mojo31 07-25-22 11:46 AM

We have an ice cream maker!

Does that count?


We were talking about kitchen stuff the other night and how little of it gets used. For example, we have a Cuisinart processor and juicer, neither of which have seen the light of day in probably 20 years (but you never know when you might want to use it!). We also have china (that was something like $280/setting X 12 plus serving pieces in 1994) and crystal that has not been used more than 20 times in our 28 years of marriage (essential at the time according to our mothers, but a big waste of money). I'm kind of to the point where I will spend on nice cookware, knives and our daily use dinnerware, but that's about it. Oh, and whiskey glasses.

Our mixer does get used as my wife likes to make cakes.

indyfabz 07-25-22 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22587053)
Careful around those chess-playing robots y'all
https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5vq...-breaks-finger

I saw that. Reminded me what Han said to R2 while R2 was playing "chess" with Chewy.

datlas 07-25-22 12:04 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587049)
My concern is that I live in redneck country, and I would have difficulty getting help if run off the road and hurt in a remote area for example. Roaming packs of dogs are also a concern.

I have a tracker program so my wife can follow where I am when on a ride. I also have a phone to make the call of shame if needed. I also try to ride with a group for safety. Luckily there is a very active cycling scene here so it's quite rare that I ride alone.

genejockey 07-25-22 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587063)
We have an ice cream maker!

Does that count?


We were talking about kitchen stuff the other night and how little of it gets used. For example, we have a Cuisinart processor and juicer, neither of which have seen the light of day in probably 20 years (but you never know when you might want to use it!). We also have china (that was something like $280/setting X 12 plus serving pieces in 1994) and crystal that has not been used more than 20 times in our 28 years of marriage (essential at the time according to our mothers, but a big waste of money). I'm kind of to the point where I will spend on nice cookware, knives and our daily use dinnerware, but that's about it. Oh, and whiskey glasses.

Our mixer does get used as my wife likes to make cakes.

I used to cook a lot more elaborately than I do now. I think I just got tired of spending a lot of time on stuff that just gets vacuumed down by Mrs. GJ and The Boys.

WhyFi 07-25-22 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22587040)
Amazingly we donít have a rice cooker, because my wife has virtually every other kitchen toy you can think of. Rice is so easy to cook it would be just another gadget occupying good space.

My problem is that cooking rice on the stove, as I've done for the last 20 years, takes up cooktop space and head space. Almost every time I make rice, it's one of 17 things going on, so I need to be mindful or it'll boil over in the initial heat-up, while I'm distracted doing veggie prep, or similar. Then, 20 min later, I need to test doneness and adjust cook time, etc. Then there's burners - I effectively only have four (one is just a warmer) and often need juggle pots and pans.

Getting the rice off of the stove and having it automatically cook, before going in to an indefinite keep-warm phase, will make things considerably easier.

WhyFi 07-25-22 12:08 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22587089)
I have a tracker program so my wife can follow where I am when on a ride.

My wife doesn't like that I refer to that as my Corpse Tracker.

Mojo31 07-25-22 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22587089)
I have a tracker program so my wife can follow where I am when on a ride. I also have a phone to make the call of shame if needed. I also try to ride with a group for safety. Luckily there is a very active cycling scene here so it's quite rare that I ride alone.

I've tried the incident alert on Garmin with my wife. It just sends false alarms and she gets really worried when they pop up so I turned that off. I do have a phone with me at all times. I carry stuff to be self-sufficient. It's just the run off the road and get hurt in the boonies with no one around scenario that sits in the back of my mind. I have no issues riding in the city areas.

If I'm riding with another or a group, I'll go just about anywhere without concern. That's why I asked about riding alone.

Mojo31 07-25-22 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22587093)
My problem is that cooking rice on the stove, as I've done for the last 20 years, takes up cooktop space and head space. Almost every time I make rice, it's one of 17 things going on, so I need to be mindful or it'll boil over in the initial heat-up, while I'm distracted doing veggie prep, or similar. Then, 20 min later, I need to test doneness and adjust cook time, etc. Then there's burners - I effectively only have four (one is just a warmer) and often need juggle pots and pans.

Getting the rice off of the stove and having it automatically cook, before going in to an indefinite keep-warm phase, will make things considerably easier.

Sounds like we need to all drop by your place for dinner one night!

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 12:22 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22587016)
I've watched a couple of The Vegan Cyclist's "Impossible Route" videos, and the most recent one was a lot like that. They plan out their routes, but don't ride any of the segments beforehand. On the last one, they were following a trail which just kept getting narrower and narrower, and less and less distinct, till it was indistinguishable from the surrounding land. It's the sort of place where I'd have turned around 6 hours before.

That happened twice on my ride from Rock Springs, WY to the WY/UT/CO tri-state corner. That trip also got pretty adventurous on the way back. I broke a rear dropout on my frame but could still pedal softly on flat stretches and downhills but I had to push the bike up even the slightest uphills as more than the slightest pressure on the pedals would make the rear tire rub on the chainstays. I still had quite a ways to go to get past all the sections that Ramona's ol' Ford Taurus couldn't drive over, then after I got to the nicely graded road I still had another few miles to go 'til I picked up cell service again.

datlas 07-25-22 12:33 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22587095)
My wife doesn't like that I refer to that as my Corpse Tracker.

Call it a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" device?? :innocent:

MoAlpha 07-25-22 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22587089)
I have a tracker program so my wife can follow where I am when on a ride. I also have a phone to make the call of shame if needed. I also try to ride with a group for safety. Luckily there is a very active cycling scene here so it's quite rare that I ride alone.

The group is certainly nice and the phone provides huge security. I remember what it was like to break something or get hit by a car (happened) far from home with no comms. LSS uses the iOS "Find Friends" feature to see where I am and make sure I'm moving if she gets nervous.

I just hope someone will read the tag around my neck or rummage my pockets within the first two hours and call her if something really bad happens. My opinion of the ability of EMS personnel and even ER people to think outside their algorithms is not high. In fact, if they don't sever your spinal cord when lifting you, you're ahead of the game, in my opinion.

big john 07-25-22 12:42 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587037)
We don't have any mountains or off-road areas to ride..

We have mountains. I did this 2 weeks ago.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...80d3c826a8.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c91ed3009.jpg
Got snow sometimes.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6dec33d40.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a022e2ddba.jpg
Sometimes it's just cold.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7777dedd9e.jpg

datlas 07-25-22 12:53 PM

I am SOOOO envious.

seedsbelize2 07-25-22 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22586864)
Jackie seems to approve of Heidiís BF.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c2da11c7d.jpeg

Where is Velo Vol to inquire about something in the background?

seedsbelize2 07-25-22 01:19 PM

It appears to be naptime.

Mojo31 07-25-22 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22587156)
Where is Velo Vol to inquire about something in the background?

Probably reeling from the news about his sacred Vols engaging in criminal activity: NCAA - 18 violations, almost $60K in illegal benefits by Tennessee football under former coach Jeremy Pruitt (espn.com)

big john 07-25-22 01:36 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22587149)
I am SOOOO envious.

Ok, just a couple more.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0d8f6dffc.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c398a9ea6.jpg

genejockey 07-25-22 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587097)
I've tried the incident alert on Garmin with my wife. It just sends false alarms and she gets really worried when they pop up so I turned that off. I do have a phone with me at all times. I carry stuff to be self-sufficient. It's just the run off the road and get hurt in the boonies with no one around scenario that sits in the back of my mind. I have no issues riding in the city areas.

If I'm riding with another or a group, I'll go just about anywhere without concern. That's why I asked about riding alone.

Funny thing is, nowadays I carry cell phone everywhere, but 20 years ago I rode all over hell without one. And I had a couple incidents where it would have come in really handy, like when my RD cable broke 8 miles from home, and I ended up breaking my chain and remaking the drive train SS, or that time I hit God's Own Pothole on a descent and it left a bulge in the casing, but I had no choice but to ride 4 miles down a technical descent and then 16 miles home, nursing the tire the whole way. But I think what really put me off too much lone adventuring was riding up West Alpine Rd. It's on the West side of the Santa Cruz Mountain ridge, and what I remember most was seeing no more than one or two cars, and maybe one other cyclist during a 4 mile climb. It was a little spooky.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 02:16 PM

Any tall guys looking for a triple top tube single speed? Only $1600

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...TA&oe=62E3E87B

genejockey 07-25-22 02:20 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22587249)
Any tall guys looking for a triple top tube single speed? Only $1600

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...TA&oe=62E3E87B

I dunno, man. That tall headtube. I might get fat and die.

MoAlpha 07-25-22 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22587249)
Any tall guys looking for a triple top tube single speed? Only $1600

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...TA&oe=62E3E87B

I would get tall just to ride that around.

Mojo31 07-25-22 02:46 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22587251)
I dunno, man. That tall headtube. I might get fat and die.

Easy solution: Deda Elementi Murex Quill Stem | Tree Fort Bikes

genejockey 07-25-22 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587289)

When I say "Tree Fort Bikes" in my head, I wonder what the other 1/4 is made up of.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 03:33 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22586397)
No pic (was driving), but yesterday saw a Seat Leon Cupra R around Castle Rock. Plated from Chihuahua.

I guess we're overdue for a SEAT AOTD

https://racecarsdirect.com/content/U...486044.jpg?v=1

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-22 03:34 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22587251)
I dunno, man. That tall headtube. I might get fat and die.

Wait, that's not the goal? Hmmm. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.