Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Sixty Fiver 12-05-15 12:36 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 18367270)
Work is progressing on my DL1. What oil do you full chaincase folks use?

I use the same oil as I do on other bikes, the difference is that I might only lube the chain twice a year.

adventurepdx 12-05-15 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 18366838)
Here's Torrington. I've built wheels with their spokes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrington_Company

Thanks for that. I always wondered if the Torrington Company was from Torrington, Connecticut. And the answer is "yes".

gster 12-05-15 06:47 PM

Vintage rod brake bike wallopop commercial
https://www.facebook.com/wallapop.us/videos/vb.1457635981133292/1720223028207918/?type=2&theater

michaelz28 12-05-15 07:41 PM

i just saw that .

BigChief 12-05-15 09:54 PM


Originally Posted by clasher (Post 18367278)
Has anyone ever tried these threadless cottered bottom brackets? I've got a grand prix frame with a stripped BB shell and this seems to be my only option that doesn't involve torches and taps. I'm not even sure these things work like the threadless VO BBs since I can't see much from the pictures. If anyone has experience with this sunrace things I'd like to hear about it!

I was hoping for a response here too. It would be nice to know if there was a good way to deal with stripped BB threads. I can't get enough information from the pictures either. A mechanical drawing would be nice.

thumpism 12-06-15 06:41 AM

Not cheap, but it looks stunning. Might be hard to find another one this nice, if as advertised.

1960 hercules mens 3 speed crusier like new

1960 hercules mens 3 speed crusier like new - $350 (chester)

http://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_i...De_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_5...q6_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00A0A_9...pl_600x450.jpg

Mint stored indoors for over 50 years

elcraft 12-06-15 07:00 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 18369193)
Not cheap, but it looks stunning. Might be hard to find another one this nice, if as advertised.

1960 hercules mens 3 speed crusier like new

1960 hercules mens 3 speed crusier like new - $350 (chester)

http://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_i...De_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_5...q6_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00A0A_9...pl_600x450.jpg

Mint stored indoors for over 50 years

Looks like the one I had excepting for the Chroming- mine had matching painted fenders and chain guard. The only thing not to like is the absence of the pulley/ fulcrum set up. There is a full cable run from the shifter to the stop on the chainstay! Mine was a later year than this and was AMF branded. If this also AMF branded, it would date post Raleigh consolidation. Either way, a stunning find!

gster 12-06-15 07:25 AM

I think it's a Chinese bike but can't tell.

gster 12-06-15 07:26 AM

I would consider the price reasonable considering the condition and the accessories included.

3speedslow 12-06-15 07:39 AM

Yes it has condition going for it but no stories to tell. Wasted bicycle life.

Only good end to this would be for someone to buy it and Actualy RIDE it.

my opinion of course.

clubman 12-06-15 10:15 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18368898)
I was hoping for a response here too. It would be nice to know if there was a good way to deal with stripped BB threads. I can't get enough information from the pictures either. A mechanical drawing would be nice.

Apparently they are standard ISO thread so it won't take care of stripped threads. Mavic made a threadless BB that required you to chamfer the edges of the shell. Apparently the VO version works just fine too. Whether they are worth the investment for a Grand Prix is another question.

Edit, my bad...they have "push fit" models, whatever that entails. As you say, not enough details.

SirMike1983 12-06-15 11:16 AM

Torrington company made lots of bars through the years. They appear with the script "Torrington" at the bar end or a "T" stamp that is sometimes inside a circle. They also were renowned for their pedals- #8s and #10s being pretty common. The deluxe teardrop pedal models are much less common and highly prized today. Torrington's spokes also were the gold standard in the US for quite awhile. My brother worked at Torrington in the late 1980s, and by then they were making other things. They went out of business a few years ago.

clasher 12-06-15 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 18369517)
Apparently they are standard ISO thread so it won't take care of stripped threads. Mavic made a threadless BB that required you to chamfer the edges of the shell. Apparently the VO version works just fine too. Whether they are worth the investment for a Grand Prix is another question.

Edit, my bad...they have "push fit" models, whatever that entails. As you say, not enough details.

Ya, I have a total of 5 bucks into the frame right now so it's just an idea. I built wheels for it already but I can move those to something else... I emailed dutch bike bits for more information so I'll see what they have to say about it. If this one doesn't work I'll probably just get a YST threadless BB somewhere and put a square taper crank on it.

gster 12-06-15 04:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another One Bites the Dust...
I thought I could get another year or two out of this saddle with a repair I did last year.
I had it on an old Eatons Glider that I took out today and it completely made like a banana.

michaelz28 12-06-15 09:28 PM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 18369193)
Not cheap, but it looks stunning. Might be hard to find another one this nice, if as advertised.

1960 hercules mens 3 speed crusier like new

1960 hercules mens 3 speed crusier like new - $350 (chester)

http://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_i...De_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_5...q6_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00A0A_9...pl_600x450.jpg

Mint stored indoors for over 50 years

that's one fancy looking bike there ...

arex 12-06-15 09:52 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18370174)
Another One Bites the Dust...
I thought I could get another year or two out of this saddle with a repair I did last year.
I had it on an old Eatons Glider that I took out today and it completely made like a banana.

Re-leather it?

BigChief 12-07-15 07:39 AM

It is a shame to see perfectly good Brooks seat frames go to waste, but I don't think the value of a rebuilt seat would cover the expense of making new leather replacements.

SirMike1983 12-07-15 07:54 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--Gp_KhuBqL...0/IMG_4079.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8E0ufAtMVM...0/IMG_4081.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7TM6udMI1e...0/IMG_4082.JPG

Velocivixen 12-07-15 10:20 AM

It's pouring down rain here and has been a few days, and is expected to continue raining hard (think flooding of local streams & standing water) for the next few days. So you're wondering, "What does that have to do with vintage 3-speeds?".

Steel rims. That's what.

My newest step through Raleigh Sports is all original and I'll likely keep the steel rims. I want to go out, where it's safe, and see just how much stopping power I have and how long it takes to stop. I have Cane Creek "Grey Matter" pads on the front - they are very soft and meant for steel rims and don't squeal. I have Kool Stop Continental on the back (I prefer the Grey Matters, but used what I had).

I rode a 1976 Le Tour back and forth to school all through junior high - in Oregon where it is known to rain. It had steel rims and I never came close to death.

I will attempt to photojournal this adventure and report back. Yesterday I rode my little urbanized Trek mountain bike through, what I thought was a 2" puddle, only to find that it was a 5" puddle. My feet got wet. I won't go through anything that deep, but I will wear rain gear.

adventurepdx 12-07-15 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18371565)
It's pouring down rain here and has been a few days, and is expected to continue raining hard (think flooding of local streams & standing water) for the next few days. So you're wondering, "What does that have to do with vintage 3-speeds?". Steel rims. That's what. My newest step through Raleigh Sports is all original and I'll likely keep the steel rims. I want to go out, where it's safe, and see just how much stopping power I have and how long it takes to stop. I have Cane Creek "Grey Matter" pads on the front - they are very soft and meant for steel rims and don't squeal. I have Kool Stop Continental on the back (I prefer the Grey Matters, but used what I had).

Looking forward to the report! If anything, today would be a good day for the "how well does an AW hub work after being submerged in water" test. ;)

I got a set of the Fibrax Raincheater pads, which are designed for steel rims. It wasn't easy, I ordered them direct from the UK. There is a US source for them, but the cost for two sets plus shipping from the UK was about the same as ONE set plus shipping from the US! Now to test them...

Velocivixen 12-07-15 12:17 PM

@adventurepdx - definitely report back on them. Fanno Creek is behind the house and the trail is completely a lake with the ability to ride in a rubber raft on it!

I'll try to post back later today.

adventurepdx 12-07-15 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18371919)
Fanno Creek is behind the house and the trail is completely a lake with the ability to ride in a rubber raft on it!

Isn't the Fanno Creek Trail pretty notorious for flooding? It's been awhile since I've been out on it.

gster 12-07-15 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18371220)
It is a shame to see perfectly good Brooks seat frames go to waste, but I don't think the value of a rebuilt seat would cover the expense of making new leather replacements.

I agree. I think the rebuild cost would be too much.

Velocivixen 12-07-15 12:46 PM

@adventurepdx - yes. There are also smaller creeks which drain into it which add to the issues.

Salubrious 12-07-15 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18371220)
It is a shame to see perfectly good Brooks seat frames go to waste, but I don't think the value of a rebuilt seat would cover the expense of making new leather replacements.


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18371971)
I agree. I think the rebuild cost would be too much.

Heck, It really isn't that hard to build something up if you can find leather that is thick enough. I rebuilt a seat with almost no idea of what I was doing and it turned out fairly well on the first try! The biggest problem I ran into was that I made the new leather a little too long- The old leather that I used as a template was stretched and the new leather was more supple and stretched some after installation. With the leather and rivets it was about $25.00, mostly spent on the rivets and the tools that went with them.

There are several threads on this site including mine that talk about rebuilding Brooks saddles. The expert dude on this site is rhm. I think he's got several threads on the subject. He does really good work BTW...

gster 12-07-15 02:54 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 18372041)
Heck, It really isn't that hard to build something up if you can find leather that is thick enough. I rebuilt a seat with almost no idea of what I was doing and it turned out fairly well on the first try! The biggest problem I ran into was that I made the new leather a little too long- The old leather that I used as a template was stretched and the new leather was more supple and stretched some after installation. With the leather and rivets it was about $25.00, mostly spent on the rivets and the tools that went with them.

There are several threads on this site including mine that talk about rebuilding Brooks saddles. The expert dude on this site is rhm. I think he's got several threads on the subject. He does really good work BTW...

Maybe I'll give it a go...

noglider 12-07-15 05:08 PM

@thumpism, $350 is not a bad price for that bike if the mechanical condition matches the aesthetic condition.
@BigChief, I disagree. I have one of @rhm's recovered saddles, and I like it a lot.

3speedslow 12-07-15 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well,

If all goes as planned and the deal is firm but I don't have the bike yet..

I will be adding a Raleigh 3 speed to my stable again!

Looks to be a 1973 and in great shape with accessories to boot

Sellers pic. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=492217 A 21" frame, we shall see. I was taller last time I rode one...

Happy !

3speedslow 12-07-15 05:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Starting to froth. Can't get the bike till later this week but already sealed the deal with the owner.

Two more shots

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=492218Looks to be in great shape, saddle and bag.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=492219 Some bits in the bag.

rhm 12-07-15 06:31 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18372403)
Maybe I'll give it a go...

I can send you a piece of leather and some rivets if you want. Shaping a wide saddle like a B.72 is a bit tricky, I find. But... well, that won't be my problem, right?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.