Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Dan Burkhart 10-25-18 05:54 PM


Originally Posted by PeterLYoung (Post 20632371)
Dan: That is a great video and clearly describes the process for dismantling and re-assembling the BSA Hub Gear, plus describing how it works, a great tool for those who come across these hubs, as you say there is a dearth of information on these hubs. I don't think you need to edit it down, it does the job perfectly as it is in my view, having recently dismantled one of these.
Best regards
PeterLYoung

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it was useful.

BigChief 10-25-18 06:02 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20631584)
Hey! That's the bike!
More good detective work.
The frame has the same pump mounts.
"Inserted cup head races...."
Interesting to think of how many hands it's past through in the past 65 years...
And how it came to have a 1961 SA hub and a Dynohub up front.
The guy I got it from had just bought it a couple of weeks before.
He had too many bikes and wasn't going to bother with it.
A prime candidate for a Semi Scorcher!
Thanks

Besides the early date, the exciting thing is that this wasn't originally a roadster. It came in club trim. 1 1/4" rims, celluloid mudguards and drop bars. Although "all rounders" were listed as an option. The catalog even mentions that arrow ornament on the fork. Nice find!
A while ago, my wife brought home a very neglected early 50s stepthrough from a friends house that was left outside for some period of time. Lots of salvagable parts though. No trace of a brand, but it is in the Birmingham style. It might have BB and headset parts that would be helpful to you. Let me know if you run into any trouble. Just one more possible option.

gster 10-25-18 09:01 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20633196)
BSA should have bog standard BSC/ISO threads. If the Cup is a BW, I've got one for you and maybe the spindle too if you measure the length and offset. Shipping costs.

Spindle @ 5 1/4"
offset?

clubman 10-26-18 04:35 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20633758)
Spindle @ 5 1/4"
offset?

The drive side will often have more length from bearing surface to end than the other. This spindle is < 5" but I'll dig in the stash on the weekend.

bwilli88 10-26-18 05:22 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20633278)
I can only guess that they realized 26" made more sense as it would fit more people. I think on average, the English are tall, taller than Americans.

28" doesn't make much sense for Japan or India where those bikes are also common. Except that it's a long-held standard. I honestly don't know how they fit on those bikes.

It is the same reasoning for 29r wheels on MTBs. They roll over everything easily. Not a problem being tall the 635 Erto wheels are all on step-thru frames and they are only 5mm taller than 630/27 in wheels used most other places.

gster 10-26-18 07:04 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20633552)
Besides the early date, the exciting thing is that this wasn't originally a roadster. It came in club trim. 1 1/4" rims, celluloid mudguards and drop bars. Although "all rounders" were listed as an option. The catalog even mentions that arrow ornament on the fork. Nice find!
A while ago, my wife brought home a very neglected early 50s stepthrough from a friends house that was left outside for some period of time. Lots of salvagable parts though. No trace of a brand, but it is in the Birmingham style. It might have BB and headset parts that would be helpful to you. Let me know if you run into any trouble. Just one more possible option.

Yes, those arrow details are quite nice.
No sign of a pulley every being fitted to the seat tube but it does
have an odd (non Raleigh) cable stop
on the swing arm.
Frame 1953
S/A hub 1961
Dynohub 1974

OT
I'm setting the boat up for a Halloween
display....
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8a9e8b1e9b.jpg
I've also built a cradle in the garage for winter storage.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ff0f1b6d6.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...839ebbc686.jpg

gster 10-26-18 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20633989)
The drive side will often have more length from bearing surface to end than the other. This spindle is < 5" but I'll dig in the stash on the weekend.

Will check the offset.

BigChief 10-26-18 08:11 AM

I might have something here!! No use at all for this. Maybe we'll be lucky. It's a 5 1/4" spindle marked R.F.G "S".
I'm measuring from the outer edge of the bearing surface.

revised

gster 10-26-18 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20634210)
I might have something here!! No use at all for this. Maybe we'll be lucky. It's a 5 1/4" spindle marked R.F.G "S".
I'm measuring from the outer edge of the bearing surface.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9f8fc891d.jpg

I've got to go out for a bit but will check on return.

BigChief 10-26-18 09:11 AM

oops. I checked with the vernier. Should have measured with that in the first place.
revised measurements.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7042600edf.jpg

Johno59 10-26-18 09:27 AM

Tall English?
 

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20633278)
I can only guess that they realized 26" made more sense as it would fit more people. I think on average, the English are tall, taller than Americans.

28" doesn't make much sense for Japan or India where those bikes are also common. Except that it's a long-held standard. I honestly don't know how they fit on those bikes.

Nope. The opposite was the reality - especially BITD Even as late as the 1940s the average British soldier was rarely over 5 ' 8".

gster 10-26-18 12:24 PM

A visit today to my friend George (Parts Unknown) has yielded some good items.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...30a4d0a59c.jpg
A vintage pump
A decent rear caliper
North road bars and stem in excellent condition
An adjustable cup (almost new) that fits
and a fixed cup
All for the bargain price of $20.00!!!

clubman 10-26-18 12:27 PM

Yup, Sports bikes had steeper angles, shorter wheelbases, smaller wheels in order to have a 'Sportier' ride. A little more nimble and quick but not in the same league as the higher end club bikes. Pretty close though.

Gotta hand it to George. He's in it for the love of bikes, certainly not the huge profits.

gster 10-26-18 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20634341)
oops. I checked with the vernier. Should have measured with that in the first place.
revised measurements.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7042600edf.jpg

I had to look up vernier....

BigChief 10-26-18 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20634703)
I had to look up vernier....

I converted it back to fractions because I'm figuring you'll be using a ruler. You have some wiggle room on the drive side dimension since you have the dished cog and those two shims to adjust the chain line. Sure hope this one works for you. It's new and yours is looking a bit rough.

52telecaster 10-26-18 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by Johno59 (Post 20634367)
Nope. The opposite was the reality - especially BITD Even as late as the 1940s the average British soldier was rarely over 5 ' 8".

I was in London this spring for 2 weeks and at 5 11 i was consistently the tallest or second tallest person in my tube carriage. I rode the tube a lot.

gster 10-26-18 03:45 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20634341)
oops. I checked with the vernier. Should have measured with that in the first place.
revised measurements.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7042600edf.jpg

RFG must stand for
Real F*ckin' Good

gster 10-26-18 04:13 PM


Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 20634998)
I was in London this spring for 2 weeks and at 5 11 i was consistently the tallest or second tallest person in my tube carriage. I rode the tube a lot.

My family moved to the north of England in 1972, I was 12 at the time and at 6' was the tallest kid at my school.

BigChief 10-26-18 07:39 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20635029)
RFG must stand for
Real F*ckin' Good

I hope it is! It would be great if this NOS spindle ended up being useful. It came in a lot of 6 I bought on eBay a few months ago. Thanks to their magnifying mouse over pictures, I spotted an elusive 08GC in the bunch and just couldn't let it get by. But this one, I'll never have any use for. It's junk to me. Even if you think there's a chance of it working, let me know. I'll send it off to you. I could also take the BB apart on that junker stepthrough in the barn and have a look at that too.

gster 10-26-18 08:27 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20635325)
I hope it is! It would be great if this NOS spindle ended up being useful. It came in a lot of 6 I bought on eBay a few months ago. Thanks to their magnifying mouse over pictures, I spotted an elusive 08GC in the bunch and just couldn't let it get by. But this one, I'll never have any use for. It's junk to me. Even if you think there's a chance of it working, let me know. I'll send it off to you. I could also take the BB apart on that junker stepthrough in the barn and have a look at that too.


I would like to accept but would feel better with a swap, although I don't know if there's something you'd want.
Will try to PM

DQRider 10-27-18 01:06 PM

In the Spirit of the Season
 
I rode my DL-1 today around the local cemetary, to get some photos that portray that Halloween spirit.

https://i.imgur.com/C55jCIB.png

It was foggy very early this morning. That would have been ideal. Unfortunately, the sun came out halfway through my shoot.

I see someone decided to desecrate... er, I mean decorate one of the graves with some kitsch from Walmart:

https://i.imgur.com/G6tHVyR.png

Hopefully the current resident of that plot has a good sense of humor.

The Raleigh, which after almost a year in storage required me to simply wipe off the dust and top-up the tires, rode as well as it always has. That's why I have named this one "His Majesty, King of Bikes".

You get that regal feeling sitting tall in the saddle. And somehow it seemed the only bike suited for this particular mission. Still a keeper, my DL-1.

.

bwilli88 10-27-18 02:06 PM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20634735)
Better roll over maybe but how much better? Bigger wheel also means more moment of inertia to overcome--more difficult to accelerate. Slightly better ride but you are more tired.

I have 3 635 ERTO wheeled bikes. The difference between them and a regular 27 wheeled bike is negligible. I have 3 bikes that are the same but 2 are 28s and 1 is a 27.

gster 10-27-18 04:53 PM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 20636228)
I rode my DL-1 today around the local cemetary, to get some photos that portray that Halloween spirit.

https://i.imgur.com/C55jCIB.png

It was foggy very early this morning. That would have been ideal. Unfortunately, the sun came out halfway through my shoot.

I see someone decided to desecrate... er, I mean decorate one of the graves with some kitsch from Walmart:

https://i.imgur.com/G6tHVyR.png

Hopefully the current resident of that plot has a good sense of humor.

The Raleigh, which after almost a year in storage required me to simply wipe off the dust and top-up the tires, rode as well as it always has. That's why I have named this one "His Majesty, King of Bikes".

You get that regal feeling sitting tall in the saddle. And somehow it seemed the only bike suited for this particular mission. Still a keeper, my DL-1.

.

Nice photos

BigChief 10-27-18 09:17 PM

Always beautiful photos from DQ. Adds a lot to this thread.

thumpism 10-28-18 06:48 AM

This one looks pretty beat for the ask. One photo shows loop downtubes and there's no mention of a ladies' bike in this ad.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...733971505.html

Men's Raleigh Sports Rodbrake bike - $150 (Mechanicsville)


https://images.craigslist.org/00u0u_...ro_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/01616_...nA_600x450.jpg


bicycle type: other
frame size: 22
wheel size: 28 in

I have a 1974 men's Raleigh Sports Rodbrake bike for sale. This bike has a Sturmy Archer 3spd shifter and 28" wheels. Email me if interested

thumpism 10-28-18 06:52 AM

Annnnnddd...here's the loop!

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...733966350.html

1974 Women's Raleigh Sports 3spd - $128 (Mechanicsville)


https://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_...KE_600x450.jpg

bicycle type: other
frame size: 18"
wheel size: 28 in
I have a woman's Raleigh sports three-speed bike for sale. This bike is from 1974 and has 28" wheels and a Sturmy Archer 3spd. This bike is ready to use. If interested please email me back.

gster 10-28-18 07:07 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20636986)
This one looks pretty beat for the ask. One photo shows loop downtubes and there's no mention of a ladies' bike in this ad.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...733971505.html

Men's Raleigh Sports Rodbrake bike - $150 (Mechanicsville)


https://images.craigslist.org/00u0u_...ro_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/01616_...nA_600x450.jpg


bicycle type: other
frame size: 22
wheel size: 28 in

I have a 1974 men's Raleigh Sports Rodbrake bike for sale. This bike has a Sturmy Archer 3spd shifter and 28" wheels. Email me if interested

If complete and the rims are Ok, i don't think $150 is unreasonable....

BigChief 10-28-18 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20637006)
If complete and the rims are Ok, i don't think $150 is unreasonable....

+1 on good rims and complete. Parts are hard to find for these. Funny how people ask a premium for DL-1s. $150 would be the asking price of a very clean Sports of the same vintage. You would think they would be more difficult to sell than a Sports. A higher asking price for DL-1s seems to be common, but I can't help but wonder is they really get the prices they ask.

gster 10-28-18 08:21 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20637041)
+1 on good rims and complete. Parts are hard to find for these. Funny how people ask a premium for DL-1s. $150 would be the asking price of a very clean Sports of the same vintage. You would think they would be more difficult to sell than a Sports. A higher asking price for DL-1s seems to be common, but I can't help but wonder is they really get the prices they ask.

A DL-1 is not for everyone.
Aside from the actual age of the bike (1975 for example),
the design of the bike is much older still and made with the same machines from the 40's.
I know a lot of young people who say they want a vintage car (Beetle for example)).
Compared to a modern car it's like driving a tractor.
It was designed in the 30's and essentially the same car for it's
entire run.
I still get the 65 Corvair out in the summer and you really have to pay attention!

BigChief 10-28-18 09:56 AM

I think the main reason the big roadster appeals to me so much is because of the way circumstances are for me at this point in my life. I used to ride to go places. Sometimes I would ride with friends all day. Now, I don't have friends that ride or days off anymore, but I have free time in smaller bits everyday. I have time for short rides. Just a loop. Now, it's all about the experience. Just getting out and feeling the wind in my hair and taking in the countryside. So now instead of different rides, I ride different bikes to make it more interesting. I tend to binge ride different bikes for a week or so. When you're only riding 6 miles, efficiency doesn't matter much. The overall experience of riding the DL-1 is so different than any other bike. The only word I can come up with is elegant. It puts a smile on my face every time, although it's not the bike I would pick for a 50 mile ride through hilly country. You are right...they aren't for everyone.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.