Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

SirMike1983 06-28-19 10:15 AM

I think the 22 rear and 48 front is a good combo. I coast down larger hills. We don't have much in the way of flat area here, so you need some time to rest for the next climb.

sykerocker 06-28-19 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 21001406)
This is a topic that comes up a lot at meetings of the Gentlemen Cyclists, and the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour in particular.

The theory is that what we call "spinning" was considered undignified, unless you were racing. So the AW was geared to support a nice, slow cadence keeping reasonable speeds. Walking the bike up a hill was perfectly acceptable.

I belong to a small-but-growing group who like the 21 and 22t cogs, turning 3rd (or High) gear into our cruising gear. 2nd is for headwinds, and the robust low gear is for hills. That seems to work best for the `Tour. We are only missing out on the higher speeds going down hill, but everyone knows that that is when a gentleman rests, and lets gravity do the work.

I've been using a 23t on mine, mainly to make up for the additional wheel size on my Raleigh Tourist. Running that same cog on my Sprite has me using high gear (with the second lever in the regular/down position) regularly on the flats. Yes, I'm one of those guys who insists on riding an IGH bike like it's a Tour de France. I like my 85-90rpm cadence, and it just doesn't feel right to pedal slower. I've always figured that dropping from the factory 15-16t to the 22-23t cog turns third gear into second, second gear into first, and first gear into something that'll actually climb hills. Add the S5 overdrive/underdrive positioning of the second lever, and you can now consider climbing trees.

eatontkd 06-28-19 01:12 PM

Found this little gem recently. It should accent my '53 Rudge Sport rather well. I guess no vintage english vehicle should be without something Lucas!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8a86675345.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...914793ab55.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c63c9adf4.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1dc1096700.jpg

gna 06-28-19 02:01 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21001456)
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My daughter had a Raleigh Space Rider, 24 x 1-3/8 tires, 16" frame. She rode it at Lake Pepin for a few years:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8d08105354.jpg

Her legs were too long once she got to about 5 feet tall, so she has a 19 1/2 Dunelt now. I was going to sell this bike, but the howling from my wife and daughter stopped me.

Not sure of the weight, but I can check. It's not exactly light, but it's not 45 pounds, either. One of these may work for your wife.

paulb_in_bkln 06-28-19 06:33 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21001456)
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you mean the roadster with rod brakes, I can't help. But a Sports style three speed with cable operated brakes, Raleigh made the Space Rider, with 24 inch wheels and smaller frame. It came with the coaster brake version of the three speed, so you might want to build a new rear wheel with a regular AW, but otherwise, it's a good Sports style Raleigh that you can use as is or modernize just like you can the bigger ones.

paulb_in_bkln 06-28-19 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21001456)
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oops I see see GNA got there before me.

Iron Horse 06-28-19 06:40 PM

3speedslow,
thank you for that idea! After showing her several examples, she reminded me she already has a folding bike.... Oh well...

Gna,
She told me that bike exactly the style she is looking for. Which means for me, I now know a name to start my searches anew. Thank you for giving me another avenue to explore! Here's to being hopeful for fruition!

Thank you gentlemen!

Murray Missile 06-28-19 07:03 PM

Finally got to give the LTD-3 a better look and hosed the worst of the grime off it. Date on the AW is "77" so no more doubt about it's age. A little touch up and a coat or 2 of clear and the paint will look pretty good. I aired up the tires and with full pressure they don't look so great so new rubber is top on the list. I fiddled with the shifter and did get all 3 gears at one time or another just not in any particular order LOL but the hub felt good. Different stem and bars are a high priority as well along with a taller seat post. The original saddle is crumbling as I write, planned to replace it with a B-67 anyway. Rust on the rims is worse than I thought but I'll do what I can with them. Might be time to jump into the exciting world of home wheel building. Bottom line is that I like it and will be keeping it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dfca4a2000.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a052dfea.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24a7ce2f81.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79836f878b.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c312250fe1.jpg

thumpism 06-28-19 08:51 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21001456)
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What is her leg length? Leg extension is the issue with frame size and on my wife's ladies' frame 19" Raleigh Sports (full size with 26 x 1 3/8 wheels) the minimum measurement from top of pedal to top of seat is about 29". You might "add some shortness" by using a thinner seat or flipping the seat clamp. Karen has decided that her health problems mean she won't be riding so we'll be selling off her fleetlet and this bike is the blue one in the center.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ab1702edb.jpg

gna 06-28-19 09:01 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21002351)
3speedslow,
thank you for that idea! After showing her several examples, she reminded me she already has a folding bike.... Oh well...

Gna,
She told me that bike exactly the style she is looking for. Which means for me, I now know a name to start my searches anew. Thank you for giving me another avenue to explore! Here's to being hopeful for fruition!

Thank you gentlemen!

Raleigh also had the Colt, which has 26" wheels, and the Mountie, as smaller bikes. You could try those, too. I found a Space Rider on eBay for a not-for-the-faint-of-heart price of $595: SPACE RIDER 60 s RALEIGH BICYCLE England GIRLS BIKE One Owner SUPER DUPER COND. | eBay https://ebay.us/fGVwiZ I think those are late '70s decals, though. My daughter's paint is rough, but still I think that price is ridiculous.

I found girl's Colt in Iowa on eBay with a more reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ral...-/123702274328

My friends at MMRB had a girl's Space Rider a few months ago; I could see if it's still there.


Where in KS are you?

browngw 06-28-19 09:19 PM


Originally Posted by Murray Missile (Post 21002373)
Finally got to give the LTD-3 a better look and hosed the worst of the grime off it. Date on the AW is "77" so no more doubt about it's age. A little touch up and a coat or 2 of clear and the paint will look pretty good. I aired up the tires and with full pressure they don't look so great so new rubber is top on the list. I fiddled with the shifter and did get all 3 gears at one time or another just not in any particular order LOL but the hub felt good. Different stem and bars are a high priority as well along with a taller seat post. The original saddle is crumbling as I write, planned to replace it with a B-67 anyway. Rust on the rims is worse than I thought but I'll do what I can with them. Might be time to jump into the exciting world of home wheel building. Bottom line is that I like it and will be keeping it.


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a052dfea.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24a7ce2f81.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79836f878b.jpg

It looks like this one is a perfect candidate for a nail polish touchup! My wife says I have more colors than she does. Reds are the easiest to match. I even was able to mix a deep purple and a dark gold metallic to match the Raleigh coffee (root beer) Looks like a fine rider!

jackbombay 06-28-19 10:24 PM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 21001406)
This is a topic that comes up a lot at meetings of the Gentlemen Cyclists, and the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour in particular.

The theory is that what we call "spinning" was considered undignified, unless you were racing. So the AW was geared to support a nice, slow cadence keeping reasonable speeds. Walking the bike up a hill was perfectly acceptable.

I belong to a small-but-growing group who like the 21 and 22t cogs, turning 3rd (or High) gear into our cruising gear. 2nd is for headwinds, and the robust low gear is for hills. That seems to work best for the `Tour. We are only missing out on the higher speeds going down hill, but everyone knows that that is when a gentleman rests, and lets gravity do the work.

So good, especially the bold parts!

jackbombay 06-28-19 10:26 PM

But I love spinning.

BigChief 06-29-19 04:10 AM


Originally Posted by Murray Missile (Post 21002373)
Finally got to give the LTD-3 a better look and hosed the worst of the grime off it. Date on the AW is "77" so no more doubt about it's age. A little touch up and a coat or 2 of clear and the paint will look pretty good. I aired up the tires and with full pressure they don't look so great so new rubber is top on the list. I fiddled with the shifter and did get all 3 gears at one time or another just not in any particular order LOL but the hub felt good. Different stem and bars are a high priority as well along with a taller seat post. The original saddle is crumbling as I write, planned to replace it with a B-67 anyway. Rust on the rims is worse than I thought but I'll do what I can with them. Might be time to jump into the exciting world of home wheel building. Bottom line is that I like it and will be keeping it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dfca4a2000.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a052dfea.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24a7ce2f81.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79836f878b.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c312250fe1.jpg

These bikes are all about comfort. I think the B66/B67 saddle is a excellent choice for upright riding. Once you have the riding position where you like it, I think you'll find this bike nicer to ride than even the more expensive "townies" as they call them these days. If you do get around to swapping rims, the Sunlite CR-18 590mm alloys seem to be the most popular. For steel rims, I think there's a bit of advantage in using the more expensive Kool Stop Continental brake pads. Then, you also have the option of customizing the overall gearing to your preference with different size cogs on the AW.

Iron Horse 06-29-19 06:46 AM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 21002513)
Raleigh also had the Colt, which has 26" wheels, and the Mountie, as smaller bikes. You could try those, too. I found a Space Rider on eBay for a not-for-the-faint-of-heart price of $595: SPACE RIDER 60 s RALEIGH BICYCLE England GIRLS BIKE One Owner SUPER DUPER COND. | eBay https://ebay.us/fGVwiZ I think those are late '70s decals, though. My daughter's paint is rough, but still I think that price is ridiculous.

I found girl's Colt in Iowa on eBay with a more reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ral...-/123702274328

My friends at MMRB had a girl's Space Rider a few months ago; I could see if it's still there.


Where in KS are you?

Good morning GNA, located outside of Wichita, but willing to travel some if need be. We make yearly trips to the Hays and Lawrence for events, so maybe....? I looked on epay as well and was also astounded at the asking prices. Charge what the market will bear, must be the motto?

Thumpism,
Thank you for the offer, but her inseam is just 24" (I just had her check...Ha!). I told her that if leg extensions were as easy as hair extensions, we'd have gotten them years ago! She gave me "that look...."

Iron Horse 06-29-19 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by Murray Missile (Post 21002373)
Finally got to give the LTD-3 a better look and hosed the worst of the grime off it. Date on the AW is "77" so no more doubt about it's age. A little touch up and a coat or 2 of clear and the paint will look pretty good. I aired up the tires and with full pressure they don't look so great so new rubber is top on the list. I fiddled with the shifter and did get all 3 gears at one time or another just not in any particular order LOL but the hub felt good. Different stem and bars are a high priority as well along with a taller seat post. The original saddle is crumbling as I write, planned to replace it with a B-67 anyway. Rust on the rims is worse than I thought but I'll do what I can with them. Might be time to jump into the exciting world of home wheel building. Bottom line is that I like it and will be keeping it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dfca4a2000.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a052dfea.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24a7ce2f81.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79836f878b.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c312250fe1.jpg

Honestly, your rust doesn't look all that bad. I had an all chrome fender that looked like it was ready for the trash or at least a media blaster. Took some 0 steel wool to it just to see, and quite a bit of the rust was just on the surface! So I dug out an old pocket knife that has no edge to it at all, and very lightly scraped the rust mostly off. Then finished by polishing with 0000 steel wool dry. There was definitely some pitting in the chrome, but the fender ended up looking very sharp when I got done, much to my suprise! I keep kicking myself for not taking "before" pictures, as the usual response is "that must not have been that bad." grrr. Just don't forget to put a good wax on it after you are done, or you will be amazed at how fast it will re-patina!

Murray Missile 06-29-19 07:24 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21002739)
These bikes are all about comfort. I think the B66/B67 saddle is a excellent choice for upright riding. Once you have the riding position where you like it, I think you'll find this bike nicer to ride than even the more expensive "townies" as they call them these days. If you do get around to swapping rims, the Sunlite CR-18 590mm alloys seem to be the most popular. For steel rims, I think there's a bit of advantage in using the more expensive Kool Stop Continental brake pads. Then, you also have the option of customizing the overall gearing to your preference with different size cogs on the AW.


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 21002528)
It looks like this one is a perfect candidate for a nail polish touchup! My wife says I have more colors than she does. Reds are the easiest to match. I even was able to mix a deep purple and a dark gold metallic to match the Raleigh coffee (root beer) Looks like a fine rider!

Thanks for the input guys. On the touchup I think a mix of Testors Metalflake red and Candy Apple Red will work well for the Raleigh "Carmine", I get better coverage on red metallics with Testors than I do with nail polish, otherwise nail polish is my go to for colors other than white or black. I'm tempted to replace the decals like the Heron on the rear fender and then "age" them slightly. We'll see, I wish they were all as good as the chain guard decal. I don't want them to look new but it would be nice if there was enough left you could tell what they were LOL.

I'm a fan of the CR-18 rims and already have them on my Ebay watch list, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll end up doing but the ones that are on it still function and it needs other things first. Any recommendations for gum wall tires? I'm not afraid to spend money on tires, I've had too many issues with cheap ones. Then again I've an issue or two with "good" ones........

I'm going to go through the parts stash today to see what I have I might use on this one. I'm tempted to do a drop bar conversion, I usually ride the tops or hoods on my drop bar bikes and I have a MTB with drop bars that I absolutely love. The drop bars would give me some of the forward reach I need with the smaller frame, I normally ride a 25". I have a set of Randonneur bars I really like that are looking for a new bike and I think this may just be the bike. I would mount the shifter next to the stem and even though they aren't "cool" I'd run Turkey Levers since I ride the tops most often. With good cables and pads I've found they can be very effective, even on steel rims. I have a steel rim Schwinn Varsity Deluxe with them and even with my 230 Lbs. and it's 45 Lbs. the Turkey Levers can bring it to a very quick stop from 20 MPH. Think Weinmann 999 center pull calipers would clear the fenders? I have a couple sets, one is NOS. I have sidepulls that will work but I saw a picture of a 50's Rudge with them and they looked good on it but he had ditched the fenders. Possibly because of the brakes but I think it was because they were in such bad shape.

I wasn't digging the massive rear refelector but then the idea hit me that there may be room inside it to convert it to an LED tail light. I'd make an opening in the reflector for the red light lens and put the switch on the side.

Lots of ideas, lots of spare parts and lots of time. Should be lots of fun!

Murray Missile 06-29-19 07:34 AM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21002825)
Honestly, your rust doesn't look all that bad. I had an all chrome fender that looked like it was ready for the trash or at least a media blaster. Took some 0 steel wool to it just to see, and quite a bit of the rust was just on the surface! So I dug out an old pocket knife that has no edge to it at all, and very lightly scraped the rust mostly off. Then finished by polishing with 0000 steel wool dry. There was definitely some pitting in the chrome, but the fender ended up looking very sharp when I got done, much to my suprise! I keep kicking myself for not taking "before" pictures, as the usual response is "that must not have been that bad." grrr. Just don't forget to put a good wax on it after you are done, or you will be amazed at how fast it will re-patina!

Oh I'll definitely give cleaning them up a shot, I have lots of white vinegar, aluminum foil, etc. and even more time. When I get it all off I'll go over the bad spots with clear fingernail polish to seal them then wax them. I have a Schwinn Varsity that had spots that bad on the original wheels, when I got the rust cleaned off one rims had actually rusted all the way through, hopefully that's not the case here. It will probably still get CR-18 rims laced to the original hubs eventually but it needs other things first.

BigChief 06-29-19 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21002351)
3speedslow,
thank you for that idea! After showing her several examples, she reminded me she already has a folding bike.... Oh well...

Gna,
She told me that bike exactly the style she is looking for. Which means for me, I now know a name to start my searches anew. Thank you for giving me another avenue to explore! Here's to being hopeful for fruition!

Thank you gentlemen!

Not all Twentys are folders. There's a plain frame version. There must be something about these that make them so popular. They have an enthusiastic following around here, although they do tend to get modified.

3speedslow 06-29-19 10:24 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d31200487.jpeg
They are the VW bug of the bike world! R20 when not a folder is the shopper model.

Murray Missile 06-29-19 11:48 AM


Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 21003042)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d31200487.jpeg
They are the VW bug of the bike world! R20 when not a folder is the shopper model.

I bet my wife would love one of those! Great, now I "need" another bike LOL.

BigChief 06-29-19 06:44 PM

Sheldon Brown's Twenty page

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html

sykerocker 06-29-19 06:48 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21002825)
Honestly, your rust doesn't look all that bad. I had an all chrome fender that looked like it was ready for the trash or at least a media blaster. Took some 0 steel wool to it just to see, and quite a bit of the rust was just on the surface! So I dug out an old pocket knife that has no edge to it at all, and very lightly scraped the rust mostly off. Then finished by polishing with 0000 steel wool dry. There was definitely some pitting in the chrome, but the fender ended up looking very sharp when I got done, much to my suprise! I keep kicking myself for not taking "before" pictures, as the usual response is "that must not have been that bad." grrr. Just don't forget to put a good wax on it after you are done, or you will be amazed at how fast it will re-patina!

Do an oxalic acid bath in a window box planter style of tray. Dip the wheel, let it sit and every day turn it to take care of the next undipped length of rim. It'll probably take 5-6 days to do one wheel. You'll be amazed how the oxalic acid solution takes away that rust. I've done wheels way worse than what you're showing and have used the original chrome.

sykerocker 06-29-19 06:55 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21002351)
3speedslow,
thank you for that idea! After showing her several examples, she reminded me she already has a folding bike.... Oh well...

I'll admit I'm curious, what kind of folder?

The reason I ask is that, back in the day, the Twenty was probably the only folder on the market that you could actually use as a real bicycle in day to day use. Incredibly better than those flexy U-frame designs that were so common back in the day. The design is still competitive with most everything made today, other than factoring in weight. Yes, they are a bit heavy, but certainly not fifty pounds. I still ride mine fairly regularly and find it competes with my Tourist and Sprite very nicely talking distances of five miles or under.

Back in the 70's, I actually sold off my ivory Sports and replaced it with a coffee Twenty because I got tired of carrying the bike up to my third floor attic (second floor apartment) every night for storage. With the Twenty, I could put it away in the closet at the top of the stairs. Only weakness I had was with a 32" inseam, I had to ride with the seat post about 1/2" above the maximum line.

gster 06-30-19 06:11 AM


Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 21003042)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d31200487.jpeg
They are the VW bug of the bike world! R20 when not a folder is the shopper model.

Interesting colour.

Murray Missile 06-30-19 06:28 AM


Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 21003598)
Do an oxalic acid bath in a window box planter style of tray. Dip the wheel, let it sit and every day turn it to take care of the next undipped length of rim. It'll probably take 5-6 days to do one wheel. You'll be amazed how the oxalic acid solution takes away that rust. I've done wheels way worse than what you're showing and have used the original chrome.

I have Oxalic Acid but have been reluctant to use it on assembled wheels as I wasn't sure what it would do to the plating on the spokes because most chrome wheels I've seen use Zinc plated spokes. It won't harm the Zinc plating? I had planned to use CLR, fortunatelt the large patches of rust on my rims are isolated to small sections not the entire rim.

Iron Horse 06-30-19 03:34 PM


Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 21003604)
I'll admit I'm curious, what kind of folder?

The reason I ask is that, back in the day, the Twenty was probably the only folder on the market that you could actually use as a real bicycle in day to day use. Incredibly better than those flexy U-frame designs that were so common back in the day. The design is still competitive with most everything made today, other than factoring in weight. Yes, they are a bit heavy, but certainly not fifty pounds. I still ride mine fairly regularly and find it competes with my Tourist and Sprite very nicely talking distances of five miles or under.

I went out this morning, and the folder is far enough back, and blocked enough, and I am lazy enough to not want to move a bunch of bikes in the heat, that I can't tell you which model, but her folding bike is a Dahon. She picked it up a few years ago from craigslist. I am saving up for a Tern Verge S8I. More gears than I need, but has everything else for a quick load-up into her Blazer when we can't take the truck and more traditional style bikes.

gna 06-30-19 05:12 PM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 21002513)
My friends at MMRB had a girl's Space Rider a few months ago; I could see if it's still there.

Nope,sold. They have a boy's model.

I weighed my daughter's, with rack and bottle cage, and it comes out at 32 pounds. No idea how accurate that scale is, though.

BigChief 06-30-19 08:13 PM


Originally Posted by Iron Horse (Post 21004572)
I went out this morning, and the folder is far enough back, and blocked enough, and I am lazy enough to not want to move a bunch of bikes in the heat, that I can't tell you which model, but her folding bike is a Dahon. She picked it up a few years ago from craigslist. I am saving up for a Tern Verge S8I. More gears than I need, but has everything else for a quick load-up into her Blazer when we can't take the truck and more traditional style bikes.

That's a respectable folder. I guess a Twenty isn't for her. Maybe she would like a classic 3 speed roadster. The ladies Colt has 26" wheels but a compact 18" frame. A Brooks saddle and Carradice wold make one of these a proper adult roadster.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5800332660.jpg

sykerocker 07-01-19 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by Murray Missile (Post 21003990)
I have Oxalic Acid but have been reluctant to use it on assembled wheels as I wasn't sure what it would do to the plating on the spokes because most chrome wheels I've seen use Zinc plated spokes. It won't harm the Zinc plating? I had planned to use CLR, fortunatelt the large patches of rust on my rims are isolated to small sections not the entire rim.

I've never had a problem with oxalic acid and spokes, other than the pain in the ass of cleaning the residue off after the soaking.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.