Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

DQRider 07-05-19 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by jackbombay (Post 21012358)
You can run 25c tires with Raleigh fenders, I had some 28c installed for a bit even but the fenders had to be exactly straight to not rub, so I went back to 25c. I did mess with the bike a fair bit recently and got fender alignment really dialed in, so 28c might do well now. On my bike the front tire rubs on the front end of the fender, I did have to spread open that bit of the fender actually.

I'm not familiar with the "new" threadless BB's but seems like a good solution to the Whitworth threaded BB. I retapped my shell so I could run any threaded square taper BB.

With fenders I have mine down to 25 pounds, but I have a Ti BB in it and when building the wheels I went with some pretty light rims.

Thanks Jackbombay. I used the threadless design because it leaves the original threads intact, and was the most elegant solution to the problem.

Are you running the Bluemels fenders, or metal? I would love to see some photos of your Clubman!



Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 21012367)
Nice work, @DQRider. How did you finish the handlebar grips? They look fantastic. For my 1950 Superbe, I have kept the original grips, but if they disintegrate with more usage I might consider doing what you have.

It certainly is a fun hobby. I'm going to take my Superbe on a country ramble soon and post some photos. It is almost ready for the road.

I can take no credit for those wonderful handgrips. Those are as-bought from Brooks, and the metal caps will polish up to a gorgeous antique shine. I may even enter this one in the ABCE this year.

Here are a couple more photos I took last evening, before I went on my fireworks ride.

https://i.imgur.com/cSThlxG.png

https://i.imgur.com/gal2qyJ.png


sykerocker 07-05-19 10:17 AM

Last night, Poguemahone and I grabbed our bikes (I took my Raleigh twenty, he had his derailleur equipped 20" wheel city bike) and rode down to The Diamond, in the rain, for the Richmond Flying Squirrels annual 4th of July baseball game and fireworks extravaganza. Well, the tarp was on the infield most of the afternoon due to some pretty heavy thunderstorms, so we hung out at a favorite watering hole a couple of miles from the ballpark. When it was announced the tarp was coming off and the game was on, we headed in - only to have the rain come back and the tarp go back out until the game was finally called.

We did get the fireworks display, however, and as usual it was Richmond's best.

Heading back towards Poguemahone's house near where I had my van parked, I had the long lost joy of a Raleigh Twenty in massive traffic (the game was a sellout, as usual) in the rain, appreciating just how the little devil handles cutting thru all the stopped cars. And being reminded why so many Twenty owners reshod their steed with aluminum rims, especially in the wet.

Nope, mine stays original. I am glad I took it instead of the Tourist or Sprite 5. I do have to change the rear sprocket, though. While 23t may be perfect for the Tourist and a tooth or so under on the Sprite, I definitely need to change the Twenty to a 20t or 21t.

HPL 07-05-19 01:26 PM

1970 Raleigh Sports "Cross Bike"
 
4 Attachment(s)
Went out for a spin to Kanapaha Park (Gainesville, FL) and then tried it on the trails for a couple miles. Not too bad for a heavy ride with road tires except for the fallen trees. All original except saddle, pedals, grips, and tires;still have all parts except tires. Commonly known by friends as the "Black Widow". Thanks to all who earlier helped get my shifting issues under control.

dimini 07-06-19 05:36 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...876976e31.jpeg

Hereís my Ď74 Superbe that I found on FB Marketplace for $75. Dynohub works, too.

Road Fan 07-06-19 07:35 AM

what's the car?

BigChief 07-06-19 10:33 AM


Originally Posted by dimini (Post 21013636)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...876976e31.jpeg

Hereís my Ď74 Superbe that I found on FB Marketplace for $75. Dynohub works, too.

That's a great deal at 75. The seat alone is worth that much. For another 9 bucks you could replace the damaged 20-30 sticker on the seat tube.
https://velocals.com/raleigh-20-30-tubing-decal/

clubman 07-06-19 11:29 AM

Riviera in the bg?

Ballenxj 07-06-19 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21013966)
Riviera in the bg?

Good eye. Looks to be early to mid seventies? And the car in question appears to be a sixties something Rolls Royce, or Bentley, possibly earlier?

BigChief 07-06-19 12:12 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 21014001)
Good eye. Looks to be early to mid seventies? And the car in question appears to be a sixties something Rolls Royce, or Bentley, possibly earlier?

Looks like a late 40s Jaguar, but I can't say for sure.

jackbombay 07-06-19 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21013966)
Riviera in the bg?

My thought as well.

Ballenxj 07-06-19 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=BigChief;21014016]Looks like a late 40s Jaguar, but I can't say for sure. /QUOTE]

You may be right, but all three look quite similar.
Bentley.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Mark_VI
Jaguar.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonesy59/348147155
Rolls Royce.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...VYwc8OYjcKufM:

sykerocker 07-06-19 01:21 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 21013734)
what's the car?

Jaguar Mk VII sedan, I'll guess the vintage at 1953 or so. There's a guy in Richmond that has one just like it, been trying to sell it for the last couple of years. Was stunned to see that it had an OHV six cylinder engine, not the DOHC like the XK-120.

Road Fan 07-06-19 04:50 PM

I think the US industry was still mostly flatheads, so even a single overhead camshaft was a significantly advanced design.

gster 07-06-19 05:36 PM


Originally Posted by dimini (Post 21013636)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...876976e31.jpeg

Hereís my Ď74 Superbe that I found on FB Marketplace for $75. Dynohub works, too.

'72 Riviera in the B/G
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...895cfabcf8.jpg

PeterLYoung 07-07-19 02:12 PM

Phillips 1957 Step Thru, Frame No K651746
 
I have been restoring in the USA a 1957 Phillips Model P2 Sports step through on and off this last 9 months or so. It was in apparent good condition when I obtained it but when I stripped it I found the toggle in the 3 Speed was missing or broken inside the hub. It has the notorious Sturmey Archer SW in which the pawls act by cam action with no springs to return them. When I went back to UK in February I managed to obtain two of these hubs which seem to appear rarely on eBay (from my experience). One was in apparent excellent condition and the other poor but useful to raid for parts. So I brought these back to USA a couple of weeks back and since have dismantled the wheels to have them rebuilt with the original cleaned up front hub and the better of the two SW hubs. The rims buffed up really nice and so I expect to receive a nice pair of wheels later this week to build back into the bike.

The rest of the bike has been treated as follows:-

Frame; The paintwork was pretty good but dulled with age so I compounded much of it taking care around transfers/decals (which were very fragile) and then once cleaned up I have clear lacquered it. Same for Fenders and Chain Guard.

Components; I soaked all chromed items in White Vinegar for around 48 hours to de rust and then cleaned them up and all the parts came up very good, the chrome overall was in very good shape considering the bikes age.

Bottom Bracket, Headset, Pedals and Front Hub; Stripped, cleaned and rebuilt these replacing all the ball bearings. The bearing surfaces on these old bikes survive amazingly well.

Brake Cables; The brake cables on this bike were stuck in the outers which needed replacing. The cables are thicker than modern and the nipples are larger than modern. The brake levers do not take the modern size but I wanted to keep the levers as they are very nice. I took the cables back to the UK in the hope I might find some correct ones there but no success with this approach. I decided to have a more determined attempt at removing the old cables from the outers so I kept soaking them with WD 40 and Gasoline and eventually I managed to pull them out. I then found the old outers were the same size as modern outers though the thicker cables are a very close fit inside so I rebuilt the cables with modern outers. The amazing thing was that the cables never frayed at the ends so no problem re feeding them into the outers as they are in such good condition once cleaned up.

Will post more pics when re-assembled with rebuilt wheels and Fenders etc refitted.

Some photos below:-

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf483fc162.png
Sellers original Photo.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1a86296fc7.jpg
Stripped Frame ready for Lacquer.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4bb48e37ad.jpg
Parts soaking in White Vinegar to de rust.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d64384954.jpg
Chain-guard & Fenders ready for Lacquer.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7aafe2177d.jpg
Bottom Bracket minimal wear just a little tracking on spindle, new balls and it will be fine.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4dad3b7c7a.jpg
Fragile peeling transfers, reason for Lacquer to frame.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2bcd8e068f.jpg
Assembly started.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f3b697cae0.jpg
Had to replace SA Trigger due to old one badly distorted. replacement is identical to original.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...30a988bef0.jpg
Brake parts came up almost like new.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af65683f98.jpg
Crank set & Pedals also came up amazingly well.

PeterLYoung 07-07-19 02:30 PM

Mark 7 Jaguar 51 to 56
 

Originally Posted by dimini (Post 21013636)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...876976e31.jpeg

Here’s my ‘74 Superbe that I found on FB Marketplace for $75. Dynohub works, too.

In the late 60's one my mates had one of these Mk 7 Jag's, the ultimate passion wagon, so roomy. great car had a lot of fun in it. Unfortunately these cars were really thirsty and petrol was expensive. You could buy cars like this for almost nothing because no one could afford to run them. He had to get rid of it in the end for something more economical. I had a 1953 Austin A70 Hereford around the same time, again a really big car that did around 15mpg. Paid £15 for it but ultimately it went due to fuel cost.

dimini 07-07-19 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21013903)
That's a great deal at 75. The seat alone is worth that much. For another 9 bucks you could replace the damaged 20-30 sticker on the seat tube.
https://velocals.com/raleigh-20-30-tubing-decal/

Thanks for the link on the 20-30 sticker! Now, if I could only remove the reflective, bright red City bike License on the reverse side of the seat tube. Stands out in contrast to the metallic green. Doubt I could get it removed without substantial damage to the paint. License stickers are supposed to be permanent, and I think they are.

I think the car is a 1953 Mk VII. Itís not mineóI own Mini Coopers and an MG. Saw the Jaguar while out on one of the first rides after I purchasing and overhauling the bike. The Dynohub headlight and tail light are pretty cool, though rather dim by todayís LED standards.

Murray Missile 07-07-19 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by dimini (Post 21015566)
Thanks for the link on the 20-30 sticker! Now, if I could only remove the reflective, bright red City bike License on the reverse side of the seat tube. Stands out in contrast to the metallic green. Doubt I could get it removed without substantial damage to the paint. License stickers are supposed to be permanent, and I think they are.

Factory bike paint is pretty tough. I use a Wagner heat gun on low or medium to soften dealer stickers on my cars then picked away at the edges, they're made of the same stuff. It also works on supposedly permanent license plate stickers. If you get lucky large sections will pull free, if you get REAL lucky the whole thing will come off in one shot. Don't bother with a hair dryer, it doesn't get them hot enough to soften them. Once I get the sticker itself off I then use the corner of an old terry cloth towel soaked in WD-40 to remove the adhesive residue. It can be tedious but it works, it doesn't damage the paint but if the sticker has been on there very long the paint underneath will be darker. I have one in the same spot to remove on the Raleigh LTD-3 I jut bought.

dimini 07-07-19 07:32 PM

thank you for the tip on using a heat gun! I have one and will give it a try. I suppose one could argue that a vintage, small Kansas town license sticker is a part of the bike’s provenance, but reflective and bright red on green is just plain ugly.

Murray Missile 07-07-19 07:55 PM


Originally Posted by dimini (Post 21015996)
thank you for the tip on using a heat gun! I have one and will give it a try. I suppose one could argue that a vintage, small Kansas town license sticker is a part of the bikeís provenance, but reflective and bright red on green is just plain ugly.

Ooh! At least mine is white with red graphics on a red bike! Good luck and don't forget the sticker will be hot, I keep a dish of cold water handy to dip my fingers in.

HPL 07-08-19 01:26 AM

?car
 

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 21013734)
what's the car?

My guess would be a Jag MK V (late 40's-early 50's), no MK VI's (prototype w/"XK" engine), went to MK VII. I've worked on a MK V, and it has that style "2 rail" bumper.

BigChief 07-08-19 04:33 AM


Originally Posted by PeterLYoung (Post 21015446)
I have been restoring in the USA a 1957 Phillips Model P2 Sports step through on and off this last 9 months or so. It was in apparent good condition when I obtained it but when I stripped it I found the toggle in the 3 Speed was missing or broken inside the hub. It has the notorious Sturmey Archer SW in which the pawls act by cam action with no springs to return them. When I went back to UK in February I managed to obtain two of these hubs which seem to appear rarely on eBay (from my experience). One was in apparent excellent condition and the other poor but useful to raid for parts. So I brought these back to USA a couple of weeks back and since have dismantled the wheels to have them rebuilt with the original cleaned up front hub and the better of the two SW hubs. The rims buffed up really nice and so I expect to receive a nice pair of wheels later this week to build back into the bike.

The rest of the bike has been treated as follows:-

Frame; The paintwork was pretty good but dulled with age so I compounded much of it taking care around transfers/decals (which were very fragile) and then once cleaned up I have clear lacquered it. Same for Fenders and Chain Guard.

Components; I soaked all chromed items in White Vinegar for around 48 hours to de rust and then cleaned them up and all the parts came up very good, the chrome overall was in very good shape considering the bikes age.

Bottom Bracket, Headset, Pedals and Front Hub; Stripped, cleaned and rebuilt these replacing all the ball bearings. The bearing surfaces on these old bikes survive amazingly well.

Brake Cables; The brake cables on this bike were stuck in the outers which needed replacing. The cables are thicker than modern and the nipples are larger than modern. The brake levers do not take the modern size but I wanted to keep the levers as they are very nice. I took the cables back to the UK in the hope I might find some correct ones there but no success with this approach. I decided to have a more determined attempt at removing the old cables from the outers so I kept soaking them with WD 40 and Gasoline and eventually I managed to pull them out. I then found the old outers were the same size as modern outers though the thicker cables are a very close fit inside so I rebuilt the cables with modern outers. The amazing thing was that the cables never frayed at the ends so no problem re feeding them into the outers as they are in such good condition once cleaned up.

Will post more pics when re-assembled with rebuilt wheels and Fenders etc refitted.

Some photos below:-

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf483fc162.png
Sellers original Photo.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1a86296fc7.jpg
Stripped Frame ready for Lacquer.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4bb48e37ad.jpg
Parts soaking in White Vinegar to de rust.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d64384954.jpg
Chain-guard & Fenders ready for Lacquer.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7aafe2177d.jpg
Bottom Bracket minimal wear just a little tracking on spindle, new balls and it will be fine.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4dad3b7c7a.jpg
Fragile peeling transfers, reason for Lacquer to frame.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2bcd8e068f.jpg
Assembly started.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f3b697cae0.jpg
Had to replace SA Trigger due to old one badly distorted. replacement is identical to original.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...30a988bef0.jpg
Brake parts came up almost like new.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af65683f98.jpg
Crank set & Pedals also came up amazingly well.

Nice work. Interesting that the cable ends are different from modern. At least you didn't have to deal with Raleigh ball end cables. Most times, the old brake cables have steel ends that are silver soldered on and can be reused on new inner cable. If you ever have to make up new inner cables with old ends, the whole trick is to glob a lot of silver solder past flux a good 3 inches up the cable so it won't blacken from the torch. I'm interested in knowing how the SW hub is working for you.

PeterLYoung 07-08-19 02:55 PM

Phillips 1957 Step Thru, Frame No K651746
 

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21016346)
Nice work. Interesting that the cable ends are different from modern. At least you didn't have to deal with Raleigh ball end cables. Most times, the old brake cables have steel ends that are silver soldered on and can be reused on new inner cable. If you ever have to make up new inner cables with old ends, the whole trick is to glob a lot of silver solder past flux a good 3 inches up the cable so it won't blacken from the torch. I'm interested in knowing how the SW hub is working for you.

Thanks your comments, yes I will report on the SW Hub once bike is rebuilt and rideable. Wheels should be back at end of week so report soon after. regards.

JaccoW 07-08-19 03:35 PM

There is a lightweight 1982 Koga-Miyata Silver-Ace AL for sale. Posted about it in the eBay/Craigslist finds - thread.

Looks fairly original compared to the brochure. 16.8 Kg (37 lbs)

http://i.imgur.com/Q6a8Tdxh.png

arty dave 07-08-19 04:17 PM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 21010468)
Upgraded to Schwalbe Delta Cruisers from Duros now that the Delta Cruisers are making some decent white walls. Here they are on the 1958 Raleigh Sports. This is my one "white wall tire" bike. The tread pattern is not totally traditional, but it's not overly modern either. The Duros I had did not age terribly well - they're only a few years old, but seem to have dried out, discolored, and cracked prematurely.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AVau0RSEI...629_172107.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TiQQGX0Y4...629_172116.jpg

They look great! I think whitewalls look really classy on our kind of vintage bikes. I've been through 2 sets (not schwalbes) that have worn and ridden well but like you say - the whitewall part of the tyre ends up cracking and looking shabby way too quickly. It's also why I stopped using gumwalls. Anyway I hope the Schwalbes have a more durable white on the sidewall - does anyone have any feedback on this? Actually ages ago I had some Michelin world tours and the whitewalls lasted longer than the duros and kendas

JohnDThompson 07-08-19 05:26 PM


Originally Posted by PeterLYoung (Post 21015446)
I have been restoring in the USA a 1957 Phillips Model P2 Sp It has the notorious Sturmey Archer SW in which the pawls act by cam action with no springs to return them. When I went back to UK in February I managed to obtain two of these hubs which seem to appear rarely on eBay (from my experience). One was in apparent excellent condition and the other poor but useful to raid for parts. So I brought these back to USA a couple of weeks back and since have dismantled the wheels to have them rebuilt with the original cleaned up front hub and the better of the two SW hubs.

I have several SW hubs here. The nice thing about them is they have fewer internal parts than the AW (and no fiddly pawl springs to go missing), so they're dead-easy to overhaul. The springless pawls do take some getting used to; the hub is eerie quiet when coasting (which I like), but it often takes longer than you expect for the pawls to engage. This effect is exacerbated by cold temperatures. When it gets below freezing it can take a couple complete crank revolutions for the pawls to engage. I've relegated my SWs to summer duty only. The gear range is somewhat wider than the AW, which you may or may not like.

N.B. I do have some extra SW parts here as well (planet gears, clutch, driver, etc.) and some two piece indicator rods. A couple of my SWs use the typical one piece indicator rod, but a couple others use the two-piece rod. Go figure.

jungwiar 07-09-19 04:41 PM

Pedal Help
 
Ok- caught up on this one over the last couple weeks. Havenít posted on this thread since #13744 - continues to amaze in the finds, knowledge, etc.

One thing I havenít seen covered which bothers me with my matched Ď68 Superbeís are the pedals. Those that are on the bikes are re-buildable which is great. The problem I have is that I canít keep the rubber blocks from rotating around the spindles. This wouldnít be an issue for me except that these have reflectors on every other surface and it bugs me that they wonít stay put!

Any ideas on how to keep from rotating?

Other than that, canít get enough time on my Superbe. Unfortunately, this does not leave much time for the Ď73 Sports or the Twenty that I have, but such is life...

thumpism 07-09-19 06:18 PM

Tall Sports with a new Brooks!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...929809002.html

Raleigh Sport 3 speed men's bike - $150 (Shakopee)

https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_...EG_600x450.jpg
bicycle frame material: steel
bicycle type: road
condition: excellent
frame size: Medium
make / manufacturer: Raleigh
model name / number: Sport
wheel size: 26 in
Sell my old Raleigh men's bike. I don't know alot about the specs, but it has a Sturmy Archer 3 speed rear hub and 26" wheels/tires. Brooks saddle that hasn't been ridden enough to be broke in. I just used this for short trips around town and all works great. Let me know if you'd like to check it out.

BigChief 07-09-19 08:52 PM


Originally Posted by jungwiar (Post 21019182)
Ok- caught up on this one over the last couple weeks. Havenít posted on this thread since #13744 - continues to amaze in the finds, knowledge, etc.

One thing I havenít seen covered which bothers me with my matched Ď68 Superbeís are the pedals. Those that are on the bikes are re-buildable which is great. The problem I have is that I canít keep the rubber blocks from rotating around the spindles. This wouldnít be an issue for me except that these have reflectors on every other surface and it bugs me that they wonít stay put!

Any ideas on how to keep from rotating?

Other than that, canít get enough time on my Superbe. Unfortunately, this does not leave much time for the Ď73 Sports or the Twenty that I have, but such is life...

Hmmm That must be a transitional pedal that I never noticed before. I'm always learning new things here. From the 1930s until the end, Raleigh used 3 different rubber block pedal types. Until sometime in the mid 50s they used the double quill style. Then came the flat diamond plate style. When reflectors were added, they changed to a rectangular shaped plate that clinched the block so it wouldn't rotate. I'm guessing that yours are the diamond plate style but with reflectors with nothing to keep them from rotating. So they may rotate, but they are far better looking pedals than the blocky reflector type.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69bfafea09.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...652fa45fcc.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e6023e8465.jpg

jungwiar 07-09-19 09:19 PM

Yep BC - they are as you show for the ‘64 but with reflectors. Was hoping there was some trick to use, but will need to get creative. I think you have a database of photos, so will try to get one of them to add to it. My ‘73 sports is as shown in the last pic. Will post for your reference tomorrow.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.