Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

adventurepdx 12-16-15 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18392171)
I quite like a fully equipped late 60's Superbe.

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 18392222)
Raleigh Clubman!

Yeah, picking ONE three speed would be tough. Getting a fully equipped late 60's Superbe is a lot easier than finding a true clubman style, so I would aim for that. Though I would love to get my hands on one! (Probably easier to find a nice 70's Raleigh road frame and three speed it.

thumpism 12-16-15 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18391229)
I do regularly buy, but mostly get for free, old 3 speed junkers and salvage the parts. On this Phillips, everything depends on the condition of the chainwheel and attached crank arm. If the chrome is in usable condition, good enough to match the patina of a restoration bike, the Phillips chainwheel is a highly desirable part. Mostly because people with the later bikes with the standard Raleigh spoked chainwheel like to upgrade. In decent shape and if the arm can be straightened, it's a $40 part.

I went back by the antique shop today and thought I'd inquire about the Phillips, "That silver bike that's all bent up." Guy gave it the once over and suggested $40. I was not interested at that price so he said, "Thirty?" and I did not even suggest a number, especially after I'd pointed out every bent thing on it. I'd have offered him $5 but then I'd have had to deal with it. So, it's still there and still bent.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=493676

browngw 12-16-15 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18392804)
Again, thank you for another look at the Robin Hood !

Have you changed out the kickstand ?

It came without a kickstand and the old one I had was loose and crappy so for now it has a new one. Hopefully a vintage one will come along.

Salubrious 12-17-15 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 18394832)
I went back by the antique shop today and thought I'd inquire about the Phillips, "That silver bike that's all bent up." Guy gave it the once over and suggested $40. I was not interested at that price so he said, "Thirty?" and I did not even suggest a number, especially after I'd pointed out every bent thing on it. I'd have offered him $5 but then I'd have had to deal with it. So, it's still there and still bent.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=493676

So- he was paying you $40 to haul it off? And you wanted less than that? :)

BigChief 12-17-15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 18396018)
So- he was paying you $40 to haul it off? And you wanted less than that? :)

well yeah, 40 bucks is a deal killer. It's just that an old style Phillips crankset is a good find.If the 1960 AW hub shell was rust free, that might bring it up to $25.That sometimes happens even with rusted out bikes because they are preserved under a coating of dirt and oil.

Salubrious 12-18-15 10:33 AM

I picked up an unusual 3-speed (French-built Riva-Sport, with Brampton 3-speed hub) about a year ago that looked rough, not as much as this one. Its finish was mostly intact beneath a layer of dirt.

However the crank was an exception so I sent it out for polish and re-chrome. I discovered that since the economic collapse in 2007, the world of refinishing has transformed. It cost a lot of money to refinish that crank- I won't be doing that again unless its something really collectable, like a high end model Chater Lea; its just not worth it anymore!

IOW if you see chrome peeling on a crank, its going to be $200 or more if you want to sort it out properly.

thumpism 12-18-15 12:29 PM

His offering to pay me to take the Phillips was highly unlikely. The place is known to be pricy and I doubt money goes out the door.

browngw 12-18-15 10:11 PM

1979 DL1 ready to go!

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...0&d=1449602551

3speedslow 12-18-15 10:44 PM

Smashing!

Velocivixen 12-19-15 12:32 AM

My three speed excitement involved stripping and deep cleaning an AW hub from that $25 green 21" Raleigh Sport I bought. It looked like mud inside. Cleaned up great though. I've washed, polished & waxed the frame, repacked front hub, headset and bottom bracket, upgraded the brakes. Now just new cables & housings all around, Polish, wax and reinstall the fenders and chain guard, then it will be ready to sell. It came with this Hugh, two sided basket on the back (not collapsible either). I may sell it with the bike or separately.

This is time of year around here isn't a sellers market. If it doesn't sell quickly, then I'll wait awhile.

BigChief 12-19-15 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 18400186)

Magnificent !

BigChief 12-19-15 05:28 AM

@Velocivixen Isn't that fun? I love the feeling of bringing a beater back to life. Looking forward to seeing it when you're finished

gster 12-19-15 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18400445)
Magnificent !

Good lookin' bike. Any before photos?

Velocivixen 12-19-15 08:39 AM

Good morning. I may have posted some on here about a month ago. One was when I noticed scratched paint on the steer tube - there's a photo of that with a pen pointing to it. I'll check to see about before photos.

When I brought it home, I sprayed WD40 in the AW hub, spun it a lot, then let it drain and put oil inside. That was a month ago, so it softened all the gunk inside. When I bought it there was a normal derailleur cable stuck inside the SA shifter! That was fun to get out.:thumb:

It came with a 46t chainring, which I removed & installed on my R20, which had a 44t chainring along with bad chrome on one crank arm. A forum member generously sent me a 48t Raleigh crankset with good chrome that I installed on this big Raleigh Sport, so it all worked out really well.

The brake levers on this Raleigh are silver & black, similar to standard mountain bike so I surmise they're a replacement.

I think that I will provide the buyer written instructions for hub adjustment since most people likely don't know how to adjust them. Maybe even front wheel/hub instructions since Raleigh front hubs are confusing to most who only deal with modern.

gster 12-19-15 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18400647)
Good morning. I may have posted some on here about a month ago. One was when I noticed scratched paint on the steer tube - there's a photo of that with a pen pointing to it. I'll check to see about before photos.

When I brought it home, I sprayed WD40 in the AW hub, spun it a lot, then let it drain and put oil inside. That was a month ago, so it softened all the gunk inside. When I bought it there was a normal derailleur cable stuck inside the SA shifter! That was fun to get out.:thumb:

It came with a 46t chainring, which I removed & installed on my R20, which had a 44t chainring along with bad chrome on one crank arm. A forum member generously sent me a 48t Raleigh crankset with good chrome that I installed on this big Raleigh Sport, so it all worked out really well.

The brake levers on this Raleigh are silver & black, similar to standard mountain bike so I surmise they're a replacement.

I think that I will provide the buyer written instructions for hub adjustment since most people likely don't know how to adjust them. Maybe even front wheel/hub instructions since Raleigh front hubs are confusing to most who only deal with modern.

Not the best time of year to sell a bike, but you never know.....

3speedslow 12-19-15 10:56 AM

VV,

I will send pics of those instructions that came with my 73 Sport.

3speedslow 12-19-15 11:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=494030 Pride in ownership !

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=494031 This one trips a lot of folks up.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=494032 Biggest panel on the fold out.

Hope this proves useful!

Velocivixen 12-19-15 12:49 PM

Thanks you so much for the images. You must have an original paper copy. Did one come with your bike or did you fet it elsewhere. I know how to adjust Raleigh hubs. What I was trying to convey is that whoever buys the bike might not know, so I would type up something for them. Your images though, explain it so much better than what I could come up with.

Thanks!

I'll take some photos of the green Raleigh Sport today & upload. You've all seen them a million times - it's nothing special at all.

3speedslow 12-19-15 01:35 PM

Yes, the Sport I just got came with all the literature that usually goes with a bike when sold. Also came with the multi- tool wrench. Very easy to use on the Raleigh.

Velocivixen 12-19-15 02:12 PM

@3speedslow - I've seen those multi tools once in awhile on the big auction site. Sorta cool.

BigChief 12-19-15 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 18401123)

I'll take some photos of the green Raleigh Sport today & upload. You've all seen them a million times - it's nothing special at all.

To me, it is special. It's a project another CV crazy like me put work into and I enjoy seeing how it came out. I have seen Raleigh Sports a million times, but I haven't seen this one yet :thumb:

dweenk 12-19-15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18401227)
Yes, the Sport I just got came with all the literature that usually goes with a bike when sold. Also came with the multi- tool wrench. Very easy to use on the Raleigh.

As I recall they also have cone wrench slots on them.

3speedslow 12-19-15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18401373)
As I recall they also have cone wrench slots on them.

it has an adjuster for every bolt/nut but no screwdriver.

browngw 12-19-15 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18400596)
Good lookin' bike. Any before photos?

Take a look here for the story on this one. http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ays-tonne.html . I will be posting more if BF can make their forum work! Can't inpt

3speedslow 12-19-15 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 17419590)
:

Here's Timeline of a 1973 Raleigh Sport in the USA

6/15/73 Assembled w/ a sip of SA oil in the hub.

6/16/73 Purchased to "Save Gas" and "Get in Shape"

6/17/73 Ridden down the block in 3rd gear, banished to garage.

6/17/83 Moved to basement.

Yesterday: Advertised on CL as Vintage for 5X original price w/ dry rotten tires, frozen brake cables and a dried up varnish in the hub.

(Most of these machines have more neglect than miles: Caveat Emptor)

-Bandera

Entry from awhile ago but get a bigger kick out of it now. I have a 73 Sport built in the 6th month and ridden few miles then put into the basement with the furnace.

But sold for very little coin...