Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

clubman 01-12-18 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 20105875)
The chain guard was decaled Raleigh Sports. It now resides on my 23" Raleigh Sports beater (photo before I put the chain guard on it).

@ddeand This is also a great way to go for the long legged 3 speed lover. Lighter and even more options for gearing, wheel and brakes

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1515774077

Salubrious 01-12-18 01:30 PM


Originally Posted by ddeand (Post 20106061)
Thank you, everyone, for the comments and suggestion for my first 3-speed. I appreciate you taking the time to check my local listings for suggestions. The 3-speed I end up with will be used only for shorter rides with my wife (6-10 miles) and the occassional group rides that we have in the Twin Cities. The bulk of my riding will still be done on my Gazelle and my gravel bike. I have found some tantalizing Raleigh Sports - one needs some work and the other is in good original condition but is a bit small. Combining the two might give me a nice ride. I have a bike mechanic friend who is encouraging/enabling me on this venture, so I’m not going into this totally blind.

Now, what do you think about colors? Some of the Sports I’ve seen are not the traditional black or green. Any thoughts there? Thanks again for the help!

I have a large frame black 1960s Sports I've been looking to sell which is in pretty good shape. I've already serviced the fork and bottom bracket bearings and the hubs. Its cheap to a good home! And I'm here in the Twin Cities. PM me.

If its not on your radar, another place you will want to think about riding a bike like this is the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour, which occurs in mid May.

johnnyspaghetti 01-12-18 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by ddeand (Post 20105227)
I’ve done a bit of searching in this thread, and I’ve read quite a few pages. But I don’t have the attention span to read all 607 pages - at least not right now. I have acouple basic questions regarding British-based 3-speeds: first, what might be some of the lighter weight 3-speed bikes out there; and at 6’ tall with a 32.5” inseam, roughly what size frame should I be looking for?
I’d aporeciate any help! Thanks!

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/bik/...396417126.html


You need to seriously consider planning a road trip down to Lacrosse & pick this up It looks really super clean I have the guy talked down to $50 due to it being 140 mi away But willing to pass this one along to someone looking for a great vintage 3-speed that's Raleigh built.

This bike pictured clearly has a SA 3-speed hub in the rear but no shifter & cable hardware that is easily found. Don't be fooled by this ad. I don't think the guy knows. Pretend he is right. I believe it is 1962 or earlier looking at the barrel type fork dropouts. Everything here looks really good to me.

https://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_...Jy_600x450.jpg

dweenk 01-12-18 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20106205)
@ddeand This is also a great way to go for the long legged 3 speed lover. Lighter and even more options for gearing, wheel and brakes

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1515774077

clubman,

That saddle is a Velo Orange model that they no longer sell. It was probably sourced from Gyes. I think it is a nearly perfect saddle for an upright bike - VO was dumping them for $40 each a while back - so I bought two of them.

68sd 01-12-18 01:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
couple other photos i have of my Raleigh and my wifes 54 Raleigh Canadian.
the blue one has drum brakes front and rear.
the red one was in a freinds wifes garden as decoration for over a year with no wheels ,i was able to pry it away and get it roadworthy again.

clubman 01-12-18 02:01 PM

@68sd So are these both Canadian models with 622mm bead tires?(700c/28 x 1 1/2)
Where do you live?

68sd 01-12-18 02:14 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20106329)
@68sd So are these both Canadian models with 622mm bead tires?(700c/28 x 1 1/2)
Where do you live?

Yes , though im still hoping to learn more on the blue mens, it seemed like a odd bike to me.
i believe they are both Canadian's.The ladies says Canadian on the seat tube.
They were both found in the Toronto area.

johnnyspaghetti 01-12-18 02:29 PM

That camel back bike has a fork that is really hung out there

clubman 01-12-18 02:43 PM


Originally Posted by 68sd (Post 20106359)
Yes , though im still hoping to learn more on the blue mens, it seemed like a odd bike to me.
i believe they are both Canadian's.The ladies says Canadian on the seat tube.
They are located in the Toronto area, i found them both local.

I don't think there's much to figure out, except it's kinda rare that close to the war. Raleigh sold a lot of camel back bikes here in the 'Dominion' over the years. There's a 54 Canadian Catalogue on the Headbadge with your womens frame.

And is 'the year 51 stamped on the BF hub? Or the license plate?

68sd 01-12-18 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20106435)
I don't think there's much to figure out, except it's kinda rare that close to the war. Raleigh sold a lot of camel back bikes here in the 'Dominion' over the years. There's a 54 Canadian Catalogue on the Headbadge with your womens frame.

And is 'the year 51 stamped on the BF hub? Or the license plate?


the rear hub has 51 on it , the gentleman i bought it from told me he bought it used in 1962 to mount to his camper to take with him when he camped across canada .He put it in his shed in 1975 and it stayed there until last summer, we were talking about old cars and i told him i liked old bikes as well, so he pulled it out of storage,it was so barn fresh i had to buy it from him just to see it onthe road again.

it came to me exactly as it is in the photo, except it had no chainguard, i put this guard for now,

clubman 01-12-18 09:23 PM

I think it's spectacular looking. Like the ride?

johnnyspaghetti 01-12-18 09:32 PM

Large frame $10 on offerup 70's something

https://offerup.com/item/detail/3537...?ref=Explore_K

https://d2j6tswx2otu6e.cloudfront.ne...9bd7fe9151.jpg

68sd 01-13-18 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20107101)
I think it's spectacular looking. Like the ride?

Actually yes its a great bike to ride , i especially love the stopping power of the drum brakes over regular caliper brakes.
Its strange seeing the wheel that far forward when your riding it but it feels long and low , its a very smooth ride compared to my others.

markk900 01-13-18 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by 68sd (Post 20107460)
Actually yes its a great bike to ride , i especially love the stopping power of the drum brakes over regular caliper brakes.
Its strange seeing the wheel that far forward when your riding it but it feels long and low , its a very smooth ride compared to my others.

I'll bet that long wheelbase and inherent flex in the fork raked out like that helps the ride. The license on it reminds me that most Ontario towns had similar style licensing when I was growing up.

I am surprised though that such an early one doesn't have a brazed on mount for the pulley. Is it possible it was a single speed Canadian converted to 3-speed later?

markk900 01-13-18 07:55 AM

@68sd: BTW - your location reminds me of the breakwall in Whitby....where was the photo taken?

68sd 01-13-18 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 20107487)
I'll bet that long wheelbase and inherent flex in the fork raked out like that helps the ride. The license on it reminds me that most Ontario towns had similar style licensing when I was growing up.

I am surprised though that such an early one doesn't have a brazed on mount for the pulley. Is it possible it was a single speed Canadian converted to 3-speed later?

thats interesting , ill have to look for the serial #

BigChief 01-13-18 08:39 AM

Another thing. The L shaped seat post was long gone by 1951. Not an expert in pre war Raleighs by any means, but I think there's a chance that this might be a pre war single speed with later hubs. It would be interesting to know if there was any sign on the painted surface of a chainguard ever being there. If there's no trace of one, that would be another pointer to the 1930s.

clubman 01-13-18 08:40 AM

You'll see in the '54 Canadian Catalogue that hub gears and drum brakes were avaiable as options. My wifes Canadian has a TCW but no front brake, yikes. I've never seen a camel back with a braze-on.

markk900 01-13-18 09:37 AM

@clubman is right - in the 54 catalog he refers to, the men's still has the L seat post and if they added the optional 3-sp (TCW) they would have to use a clamp.

68sd 01-13-18 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 20107619)
@clubman is right - in the 54 catalog he refers to, the men's still has the L seat post and if they added the optional 3-sp (TCW) they would have to use a clamp.

ive gotten a bit more interested so i pulled it from storage

what i can determine
the frame has the original decals
looks to be the 2030 hi carbon tubing diamond decal style like in the 54 catalogue on the seat tube with raleigh going down the tube.
Im guessing its a 54 model
there is evidence of black paint under the blue, ive seen people talk about this before.

the serial is in on the bottom bracket ,not across it but sideways 31621 and BU under that.
bottom bracket has oiler
the trigger is a later style ,likely 60s.

The rear hub is dated 51-9
is drum brake with hand lever and 3 speed shift

the front is drum with hand lever says 352

gster 01-13-18 11:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20107535)
Another thing. The L shaped seat post was long gone by 1951. Not an expert in pre war Raleighs by any means, but I think there's a chance that this might be a pre war single speed with later hubs. It would be interesting to know if there was any sign on the painted surface of a chainguard ever being there. If there's no trace of one, that would be another pointer to the 1930s.

That's a good link to the catalogue. Note that the chainguard is an attractive design.
Attachment 595443
Attachment 595445

smudge57 01-13-18 01:44 PM

Sheffield cycle company
 
1 Attachment(s)
hi guys
smudge57 from Yorkshire England, first time on your forum.
i am looking for information if anybody has come across a company who made cycles either pre WW11 or post WW11
i have look for information this side of the pond and have hit a blank.

i have attached the trademark badge.

bit of a shot in the dark but maybe one off you guys can shed some light:foo:

















Attachment 595462

SirMike1983 01-13-18 06:24 PM

Cold day for a ride, but worth it.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dAqOly9v3...113_151011.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7j6qQ41HO...113_150820.jpg

johnnyspaghetti 01-15-18 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by smudge57 (Post 20108025)
hi guys
smudge57 from Yorkshire England, first time on your forum.
i am looking for information if anybody has come across a company who made cycles either pre WW11 or post WW11
i have look for information this side of the pond and have hit a blank.

i have attached the trademark badge.

bit of a shot in the dark but maybe one off you guys can shed some light:foo:

















Attachment 595462

I have nothing for you I know 3-speeds are out there although I'm pretty sure this is a generic example of one. Possibly a 1980's

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...433316258.html

tigervw78 01-15-18 03:32 PM

Newbie Here!
 
I've been browsing for months and this is my first login/post. I've mainly ridden folding bikes (xootr,dahon) and road/touring bikes in the past, all for pleasure however. I found the road bikes to be uncomfortable for pleasure riding/commuting, so thought I'd try a vintage upright bike. I overpaid for a pair of his and hers Schwann Suburbans, put on new panaracers and positron cables and enjoyed the ride.

I ran across this forum and decided I had to have a Sports. After lots of CL hunting, I was lucky enough to find a black 72 Sports with a 23" frame in great condition. Paid $80 for it, cleaned it up, flipped the bars, bought some cream delta cruisers and broke the front axle trying to put the tire on because I wasn't aware of the cone design.

Long story kinda shorter, I ordered an axle from eBay, but didn't want to wait that long, so got lucky and found one at the coop. Back on the road in no time. Looking forward to getting more advice from this folks on this forum!

I will post a pic when I figure out how.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.