Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

adventurepdx 10-14-19 06:19 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21163640)
I'm very glad I took the leap to all-creme tires. It avoids a spartan all-black appearance (which I might retain on my '53) or the Americanized appearance of whitewalls. The creme tires also subtly backdates the overall look without appearing artificial.

Americanized? Perhaps. I have seen some old Raleigh advertisements that show (to my eye) whitewalls. In any case, I like how the whitewalls look.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...df6f5ea628.png

thumpism 10-14-19 06:23 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21163158)
I probably would have bought it at that price for
-parts
-or a nice bike to gift someone.
It all depends on what shape the rims are in these days.

It was nice. I'd have bought it but had no one in need of such a bike, I have parts and have no place to put it in the meantime. Went by again the next morning and stopped by to see if the sale was still on or if the bike had been tossed in the big dumpster. Nope. Problem solved.

cudak888 10-14-19 06:49 PM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 21163838)
Americanized? Perhaps. I have seen some old Raleigh advertisements that show (to my eye) whitewalls. In any case, I like how the whitewalls look.

Fair point, and the blue Trent looks absolutely gorgeous with whitewalls.

Make no mistake, the whitewalls were my choice 13 years ago.

-Kurt

SirMike1983 10-14-19 06:50 PM

1958 Raleigh Sports with the FW hub. One of my favorite bikes, and a nice day for a ride to see the leaves.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-duuC3So9c...014_143237.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CuDjI4vce...014_143216.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e5ik9oOUq...014_143223.jpg

adventurepdx 10-14-19 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21163865)
Fair point, and the blue Trent looks absolutely gorgeous with whitewalls.

Make no mistake, the whitewalls were my choice 13 years ago.

-Kurt

It's all a matter of aesthetics. I'd probably go with gumwalls on the Superbe again, but Schwalbe doesn't make Delta Cruisers in gumwall. I've got Panaracer Col de La Vie on my other three speed (Robin Hood), which is the less "utility" build.

clubman 10-14-19 07:56 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21163640)


I have MKS Sylvan Touring on the Sports. Still affordable at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/MKS-Sylvan-To.../dp/B003Z6PGZU


-Kurt

We can't access Amazon without going through the Canadian domain, amazon.ca. And no proxies won't work. Prices are multiples of what you folks pay. Don't let anyone tell you our governments are pro Free Trade, it's smoke and mirrors.

nlerner 10-14-19 08:16 PM

In another thread, someone mentioned the VP-365 pedal as a lower-priced alternative to the MKS touring. Not sure that's true in Canadian dollars, however.

clubman 10-14-19 08:35 PM

$64 for Sylvan Touring, no VP-365 available.

These are Pacific rim products that flow through the US and then to Canada, even if it's a Canadian Subsidiary. NSF Food equipment is a biggest scam that I've had to beal with and follows this pattern. Can't get FOB to Canada, and the US marks up crazy tariffs. Bloody transparent shell game.

cudak888 10-14-19 09:12 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21163966)
We can't access Amazon without going through the Canadian domain, amazon.ca. And no proxies won't work. Prices are multiples of what you folks pay. Don't let anyone tell you our governments are pro Free Trade, it's smoke and mirrors.

Would customs dock a set shipped in from the US through a facilitator?

-Kurt

clubman 10-15-19 06:06 AM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21164070)
Would customs dock a set shipped in from the US through a facilitator?

-Kurt

Most definitely. You'd have to fib on the declaration.

BigChief 10-15-19 06:46 AM

Prices for MKS pedals seems to have gone up lately here in the US as well. Amazon has the "Touring" at 30 USD and the 3000R rubber block at 35 USD
I use the touring pedals on any bike I intend to put serious mileage on, but when I want to keep the traditional look I like the 3000R. There isn't another rubber block pedal sold new that I know of that I would use on a vintage English roadster. Not only are they good quality, but the ugly rectangular crimp plate that keeps the reflector located is at the back of the pedal where you don't see it. The front plate is the traditional rounded corner diamond shape. I wonder why Raleigh didn't think of this when they redesigned their pedals in the 70s. There's just something about those chromed, rectangular end plates that looks wrong on a vintage bike. Never liked them.

SirMike1983 10-15-19 08:21 AM

The 3000R and 3000S are decent pedals. I usually hunt for the 3000S on sale via eBay or similar. They seem to go in and out of stock, and on and off of sale. The R is easier to find and usually a bit cheaper when you find it. But the S is still pretty reasonable when they turn up on sale. Sylvan rat trap type is also nice - I have them on my drop bar Raleighs and they do pretty well.

southpawboston 10-15-19 09:30 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 21152098)
Here are some pics of a French-ish 3-speed IGH project that I finished up yesterday. Base is an early 70s Jeunet 630 frame that I bought from a forum member. The lack of a derailleur hanger, Reynolds steel tubing, and 650B conversion potential made it particularly useful. It's been painted a lovely battleship grey, and the fork it came with is not original, but it's English-threaded and sized, which made it easier to fit with headset and stem than if it were French.

Rear hub is a 40-hole alloy shell AW w/ 20t cog, Nervar 122bcd crankset with 45t ring, MKS sneaker pedals, Weinmann 750 CP brake rear w/ extender brake shoes for a bit more reach, front Weinmann CP brake with steel straddles, Shimano brake levers (sorry, but I really prefer the performance of aero levers!), Campy 26.4mm seatpost, Brooks saddle recovered by @rhm, some old GB touring bars, Nitto technomic stem, Compass 650b x 38mm tires, front Synergy rim w/ S-P dyno hub, B&M front lamp, Sturmey-Archer bar-end shifter. Total weight is a shade over 24 lbs, which is pretty darn good for a bike with both an IGH and a front dynamo.

I've only taken it for a short shake-down ride, but it felt very good so far. Everything functioned as it should, and the ride was stable and smooth. Those bars are very narrow; I usually prefer narrow bars, but these are pushing that preference! I'll try commuting on it a few times this week and see what needs to be changed, if anything.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...89ebe4c0_c.jpg

Hey Neal! Long time, no see. Curious about your Jeunet conversion! Coincidentally, I converted an old Jeunet 630 to 3-spd IGH awhile back, but never tried to convert it to 650B. It's limited by its clearances for anything larger than 700x28. The front fork (original) has so little vertical clearance that I had to file the daruma nut so that the tire didn't rub, but it has plenty of width. The rear triangle has gobs of vertical room and requires a long-reach brake, but the chain stays are far too narrow. Can't win! Too bad, because I find the Reynolds frame to be supremely flexy and fast. It would probably work best configured as the skinny tire road bike it was intended to be.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...54b97240f7.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...abefc77acc.jpg

nlerner 10-15-19 05:07 PM


Originally Posted by southpawboston (Post 21164666)
Hey Neal! Long time, no see. Curious about your Jeunet conversion! Coincidentally, I converted an old Jeunet 630 to 3-spd IGH awhile back, but never tried to convert it to 650B. It's limited by its clearances for anything larger than 700x28. The front fork (original) has so little vertical clearance that I had to file the daruma nut so that the tire didn't rub, but it has plenty of width. The rear triangle has gobs of vertical room and requires a long-reach brake, but the chain stays are far too narrow. Can't win! Too bad, because I find the Reynolds frame to be supremely flexy and fast. It would probably work best configured as the skinny tire road bike it was intended to be.

Hey, Anton! I actually took the Jeunet for its first longer ride yesterday, running an errand out to Watertown and back (around 15 miles in all). It really felt excellent. Those 38mm Compass tires very much smooth out the ride, and the bike was a stable descender and handled very well. It might be a bit tight to run 38mm and fenders (tight at the rear chain stay in particular), but I think it's doable. I ended up replacing the indicator when I got home as the one I had on there had a bit of a stuck knurled nut; as a result, the indicator unscrewed itself a bit a couple of times. Problem now solved, and I'll use the bike in the commuter rotation.

BigChief 10-15-19 08:58 PM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 21164523)
The 3000R and 3000S are decent pedals. I usually hunt for the 3000S on sale via eBay or similar. They seem to go in and out of stock, and on and off of sale. The R is easier to find and usually a bit cheaper when you find it. But the S is still pretty reasonable when they turn up on sale. Sylvan rat trap type is also nice - I have them on my drop bar Raleighs and they do pretty well.

I didn't know about the 3000S. Rounded diamond plate on both ends and no reflector. Even better. They are harder to find, but a google search turned up a $20 price.

gster 10-16-19 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21163966)
We can't access Amazon without going through the Canadian domain, amazon.ca. And no proxies won't work. Prices are multiples of what you folks pay. Don't let anyone tell you our governments are pro Free Trade, it's smoke and mirrors.

Clubman is right. Ordering anything these days from the US for us Canadians makes it fiscally impossible.
postage/exchange/duties/taxes etc will double + the listed price.
amazon Canada has the MKS listed for $40.00 Canadian but i think that's high as well...
On another note
still out There
a 1971 Raleigh sports listed here for $150.00
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...23003ac9a3.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ffe38448c.png
Although it appears to have a stamped eye on the heron...

gster 10-17-19 10:53 AM

Good News!
Price dropped to $1600.00!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...829707fa44.jpg

gster 10-17-19 10:57 AM

Another Bargain!
Raleigh Tourist for only $600.00!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d5873e0a80.jpg
Seller says the serial number is intact, which we all know is a big selling point.

Ballenxj 10-17-19 11:06 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21167936)
Good News!
Price dropped to $1600.00!

Whoo Hoo! I'm sure somebody will jump right on that. :rolleyes:

Ged117 10-17-19 04:54 PM

This 1972 step-through frame sat for years in the seller's shed. A bunch of dead earwigs fell out of nooks and crannies once I turned it over for a look see. This one might be getting a strip and re-paint to her colour specifications. She fancies early 80s Trek grayish blue...I might have many questions in the future since this will be my first paint job. AW hub will get a rebuild and synthetic 5W30 at riding time alongside my '53 FW for the Peugeot and '50 AG for the old Raleigh as I start winter projects. Lots of cold nights coming here in Ottawa for tinkering with old bikes. Bunch of photos coming this weekend.

paulb_in_bkln 10-17-19 06:33 PM

Is anyone else wondering about the source of this photo and its, uh, context?

jackbombay 10-17-19 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 21168603)
Is anyone else wondering about the source of this photo and its, uh, context?

Yea, she's wearing some cool boots!

Ballenxj 10-17-19 06:59 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 21168603)
Is anyone else wondering about the source of this photo and its, uh, context?

Link at the bottom gives correct credit to dailymail.co. The link takes you to a Raleigh Ad where you can find this photo. ;)

SirMike1983 10-18-19 09:29 AM

The interesting thing is that I bought two sets of Duro whitewall tires within a few months of each other for two different bikes. The set on the 1958 Sports had a lot of premature cracking of the sidewalls that kept worsening. The set I put on my 1970 Sprite were better. They were the same model of tire and bought fairly close together in time. With a cheaper tire, I guess you get the quality control variations too. I moved on from the Duro whitewalls to newer Schwalbe whitewalls, and the ride improved greatly on the 1958 Sports. You really do gain a lot when you move from the really cheap tires to more of a mid-level tire (I guess the Schwalbe is more mid level than economy level for these).

Ballenxj 10-18-19 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 21169287)
The interesting thing is that I bought two sets of Duro whitewall tires within a few months of each other for two different bikes. The set on the 1958 Sports had a lot of premature cracking of the sidewalls that kept worsening. The set I put on my 1970 Sprite were better. They were the same model of tire and bought fairly close together in time. With a cheaper tire, I guess you get the quality control variations too. I moved on from the Duro whitewalls to newer Schwalbe whitewalls, and the ride improved greatly on the 1958 Sports. You really do gain a lot when you move from the really cheap tires to more of a mid-level tire (I guess the Schwalbe is more mid level than economy level for these).

I hadn't thought of it, but do they put date codes on Bicycle tires too?
Meanwhile, here's an interesting read about bike tires. Bicycle road tires, do they go bad?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.