Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

johnnyspaghetti 06-19-18 09:45 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20403015)

yes it can happen in Pigseye

johnnyspaghetti 06-19-18 09:59 PM


Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 20402957)
awesome score man!

Gonna start riding the other ones.

johnnyspaghetti 06-20-18 12:27 PM

This is deadly. Steal my 62 true. I know who.

thumpism 06-20-18 02:28 PM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20403475)
Hey y'all. I found a women Raligh Sport 3 speed. Not sure if it's British made. The rack eye lid is above the axle.

I am wondering if my car rack can handle this bike, if I buy it.
I have to drive , on interstate high speed.
Do I need to buy one of those cross bar adaptor thingy to transport this bike home?


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75bb3a68e5.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3fe789f92a.png

No, you can rest the upper down tube in the cradles of the rack (looks like a Saris Bones--I have one) and carry the bike with the front wheel hanging lower than the rear. I see this all the time out on the highway.

arty dave 06-20-18 05:10 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20403946)
This is deadly. Steal my 62 true. I know who.

Best of luck getting it back. When I was young and dumb I bought a bike from a 2nd hand shop. I made it my own, new rear wheel, saddle, couple of other changes to suit me better. A few months later I went to unlock my bike in the middle of town and there was a young guy there saying that's my bike, and I've called my Dad! I was thinking jeebers I've bought stolen goods but in good faith hope this turns out OK, I'm just a poor student. We waited for his Dad to show, the Dad was upset, we all took the bike to the shop which was handily nearby, turns out the Dad's brother's name was on the sale record - he'd taken his nephews bike and sold it for drug money. The shop manager said this was the most common deal with stolen things usually involving family members needing drug money. The Dad offered to buy it back from me but was visibly deflated when I told him he'd have to spring for the extras I'd added. He just told me to keep it and he'd buy his son a new bike.

Sorry for the ramble, but I really hope you're able to get your bike back. Must suck that it's someone you know. I've had a couple of bikes stolen.

BigChief 06-20-18 07:47 PM


Originally Posted by arty dave (Post 20400853)
Nice! I'm glad you grabbed that while it was still available. It looks like an interesting hub & easy to find facts and opinions written about it. Sounds like it works well if you don't overload it (like that Jobst Brandt fella), but that's not really what we do on roadsters :)
It definitely won't look out of place on your DL-1, and should be a lot of fun! I'm currently thinning out my herd and building a cruiser, after that I'll be looking at putting an S5 into a roadster myself

The box says this hub has a 6 1/8" axle. It's likely SA designed it for frame mounted fenders. Might be a problem with the DL-1s axle mounted wire fender stays. Plan B so far is to reshape the wire stays to bolt onto the seat stay bolts. Since the fender has to come off to remove the wheel I dont want to have to remove those bolts to get the fender stays off. They're already a pest to bolt back together and stuffing the wire stay in there would be even worse. I figure longer bolts with the nuts on the outside of the frame would do the trick.

johnnyspaghetti 06-20-18 09:08 PM

still havent looked but it looks good. https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...1&disp=safe&zw

johnnyspaghetti 06-20-18 09:50 PM


Originally Posted by arty dave (Post 20404462)
Best of luck getting it back. When I was young and dumb I bought a bike from a 2nd hand shop. I made it my own, new rear wheel, saddle, couple of other changes to suit me better. A few months later I went to unlock my bike in the middle of town and there was a young guy there saying that's my bike, and I've called my Dad! I was thinking jeebers I've bought stolen goods but in good faith hope this turns out OK, I'm just a poor student. We waited for his Dad to show, the Dad was upset, we all took the bike to the shop which was handily nearby, turns out the Dad's brother's name was on the sale record - he'd taken his nephews bike and sold it for drug money. The shop manager said this was the most common deal with stolen things usually involving family members needing drug money. The Dad offered to buy it back from me but was visibly deflated when I told him he'd have to spring for the extras I'd added. He just told me to keep it and he'd buy his son a new bike.

Sorry for the ramble, but I really hope you're able to get your bike back. Must suck that it's someone you know. I've had a couple of bikes stolen.

I will deal with this.

johnnyspaghetti 06-20-18 10:37 PM


thumpism 06-21-18 04:51 AM

Turistas for sale! A Dude and a Loop for a C-note a pop!

1970 Raleigh Tourist Bicycles - Male and Female - $100 (Shockoe Bottom) https://images.craigslist.org/00303_...Te_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_...sZ_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/01717_...rs_600x450.jpg

condition: good
For sale is a unique bicycle set. A Male and Female set of early 1970s Raleigh Tourist Bicycles. Raleigh is a British made bicycle known fo their quality bikes. These are collectors, and rare to find a matching set. They are in great shape. While the paint does show their age, mechanically they are flawless.

The first picture shows two similar bikes, the other pictures are of my actual bikes.

I love their look and they have been in my apartment as show-pieces for the last few years, but they have both been refurbished and are ready to ride today. Perfect buy for a couple who wants to take a cruise in style.

-Original Leather Seats, still soft
-Both have their own attachable (working) tire pumps
-Nearly everything is original
-New tires (note the tread and whiskers in the pictures)
-recently replaced brake pads.
-No Rust on the gears/chain

I am asking only $100 per bike as I need these gone quickly (I'd like to sell as a set). OBO.

BigChief 06-21-18 07:28 AM

That's a Thumpin good deal;). Gents is the 22" frame. Right in your town. You are jumpin on the deal right? At least for the gents.

johnnyspaghetti 06-21-18 07:57 AM

wow I need to sit in the garage for awhile

thumpism 06-21-18 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20405161)
That's a Thumpin good deal;). Gents is the 22" frame. Right in your town. You are jumpin on the deal right? At least for the gents.

I have a 22" already, my bride is not interested in the other one and won't let me have a girlfriend who might want the other one, I don't really like Tourists for practical riding although I love what they represent, and we really don't have any more room for bicycles, even short-term storage for the time it would take to flip them. I'm just not a flipper at heart, more of a facilitator.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...72e0dae32a.jpg

nlerner 06-22-18 03:57 PM

A local friend of mine trash picked this 1980 lady's Sports and passed it on to me last night. It came with everything shown except the saddle, which I pulled from the bin.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1822/...911d2dbb_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

I'm not sure I've ever had in my hands a Sports of such recent heritage! Some interesting features.

I like this style of chain guard, akin to the ones that were on early 60s bikes?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1793/...7fa399ea_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

The gear cable pulley wheel is actually metal with a plastic hinged band clamp:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1784/...e3fbc281_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

Weinmann alloy brake calipers and levers:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1771/...92c4575d_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

Nice braze-on cable guides:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1794/...2379e387_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

Brazed in plate for the Pletscher rack:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1793/...e3341d9a_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

A pretty small amount of rust on the chromed bits; must have been kept indoors for a good portion of the last 38 years:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1819/...a5578357_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

I'll clean it up and likely pass it along to a colleague. Updated pics when that happens.

desconhecido 06-22-18 05:19 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20407631)
A local friend of mine trash picked this 1980 lady's Sports and passed it on to me last night. It came with everything shown except the saddle, which I pulled from the bin.

I'm not sure I've ever had in my hands a Sports of such recent heritage! Some interesting features.

I like this style of chain guard, akin to the ones that were on early 60s bikes?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1793/...7fa399ea_c.jpg
1980 21” lady’s Raleigh Sports

We have a couple 79s, one in pieces awaiting attention (23" same color scheme as yours) and one root beer brown 21" that I ride around Houston in the middle of the night. Two things about the later Sports bikes that bothered me. They put the cable wheel at the bottom of the seat tube on the mens frames, routing just like your 80 step-through, and when riding with just flat pedals, I caught the cable with my heel a couple times. Not a great catastrophe, but resulted in riding home in 3rd gear. Likewise the downward protrusion on the chain guard -- caught that a couple times and the sheet metal bends pretty easily. Toe clips and straps and putting the pulley at the top of the seat tube, where it should be on a diamond frame, in my opinion, and haven't hooked my heel in a couple years.

I like the Weinmann brakes better than the steel brakes on earlier bikes and the levers are, in my opinion, better than those self-adjustors that were on the Sports just before they shifted to the Weinmanns.

That's a really fine example you have -- pretty clean.

thumpism 06-22-18 08:12 PM


Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 20407736)
I like the Weinmann brakes better than the steel brakes on earlier bikes and the levers are, in my opinion, better than those self-adjustors that were on the Sports just before they shifted to the Weinmanns.

My brown 23" is older and has the steel brakes with the awful levers. A newer small ladies' bike with the alloy levers and Weinmann brakes is hanging next to it. Tempted to switch those parts out

desconhecido 06-22-18 09:40 PM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20407945)
My brown 23" is older and has the steel brakes with the awful levers. A newer small ladies' bike with the alloy levers and Weinmann brakes is hanging next to it. Tempted to switch those parts out

The Weinmanns seem to work pretty well. I rember that back in the 70s I looked down my nose at the cheap side-pull Weinmann brakes and replaced them on the $70 bicycle I bought in Bad Munster when I brought it back to the US -- replaced with Weinmann center pulls, of course. I was on a budget. That was back in 72. I liked that bicycle and it taught me a couple things. That there were presta valves and 28" (aka 700c) tires and Simplex derailleurs. I have no idea of the brand or country of origin -- could have been Germany, Austria, Belgium, France. I don't remember where I got the box, but when I came back to the States I brought it on a Continental flight as checked baggage with no fee. But, those Weinmann side pulls really weren't that bad. The snobbery of youth, I guess.

BigChief 06-23-18 05:22 AM

I'm very fond of the traditional Raleigh steel brake levers that were in use from the mid 30s all the way up to the unfortunate self adjusters in the early 70s. Sometime in the 60s, Raleigh did start using the cheaper 2 bolt type on some of the lesser non Raleigh branded bikes. I suppose they worked OK but the plating wasn't as nice, they just looked cheaper and the second bolt gets in the way of where I like to mount the trigger shifter. As far as braking power goes, unless you're limited by hand strength, I've found that the limiting factor is the amount of friction you get from two 2" brake pads on the rim. You can have more mechanical advantage or less in the system and you can more or less flex from the amount cable housing compression, but the overall braking performance ends up being similar.

Johno59 06-23-18 05:46 AM

The death-throes of Raleigh
 

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 20407736)
We have a couple 79s, one in pieces awaiting attention (23" same color scheme as yours) and one root beer brown 21" that I ride around Houston in the middle of the night. Two things about the later Sports bikes that bothered me. They put the cable wheel at the bottom of the seat tube on the mens frames, routing just like your 80 step-through, and when riding with just flat pedals, I caught the cable with my heel a couple times. Not a great catastrophe, but resulted in riding home in 3rd gear. Likewise the downward protrusion on the chain guard -- caught that a couple times and the sheet metal bends pretty easily. Toe clips and straps and putting the pulley at the top of the seat tube, where it should be on a diamond frame, in my opinion, and haven't hooked my heel in a couple years.

I like the Weinmann brakes better than the steel brakes on earlier bikes and the levers are, in my opinion, better than those self-adjustors that were on the Sports just before they shifted to the Weinmanns.

That's a really fine example you have -- pretty clean.

This bike represents all that had gone wrong with Raleigh as a builder of quality bikes that lasted forever. For me working on these late 70s early 80s bikes is a depressing nightmare compared to the 40s, 50, and even 60s era bikes. The quality of steel has gone, the Al fittings, bolts, brakes, cables etc are cheap and nasty. The hope of competing on price tag with cheap imports was a stupid managerial strategic decision that destroyed so much of British manufacturing industry. Raleigh (along with thousands of other big and small British based bike-makers) went from a 600,000 bikes good solid bikes per year giant to nothing within a few short years after this model of bike was inflicted upon the world.

52telecaster 06-23-18 06:57 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20405216)
wow I need to sit in the garage for awhile

You ok?

Velocivixen 06-23-18 07:01 AM

I don’t think I have ever seen a blue Raleigh. I’m normally not a blue bike person, but that shade is rich. Nice friend.

thumpism 06-23-18 07:39 AM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 20408281)
I don’t think I have ever seen a blue Raleigh.




Hey, you don't look at my posts?

Bike has since been cleaned up a bit but the paint is badly oxidized. This thing was pristine and gorgeous when I found it at a yard sale in the '90s on behalf of a neighbor who'd seen me riding my Sports and expressed her interest in one. $24. If I had not already committed to finding her a bike I'd have kept it. When her husband gave it to me 20 years later to get it out of their yard it was leaning up against their back fence in foot-deep snow and it looked like this.

This is the one with the alloy levers and calipers. I may actually wait until I'm reduced to riding my ladies' 23" Sports and put the alloy parts on that one.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e453a02b39.jpg

SirMike1983 06-23-18 09:09 AM

The very late Sports bikes differ in some ways from the earlier ones, including the paint schemes; paint colors offered; and component equipment. I think that someday there actually will be a niche market for the late Sports because it is so different. In some ways, they are a bit of an upgrade in the use of Weinmann aluminum components in some spots. In other ways, it's a downgrade in the use of a huge DOT reflector and loss of the white rear fender tip. But I could see people getting into these bikes because they're different from the more typical Sports from the late 1960s-mid 1970s. They certainly have enough quality to be cleaned up into nice bikes.

mrv 06-23-18 10:45 AM

27in wheel vs the 26 x 1 3/8
 
howdy - thinking about one these two CL bikes.
Raleigh with 26in x 1 3/8 wheels https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...609831568.html
Univega with 27in https://toledo.craigslist.org/bik/6622603468.html

I'm a bit more keen on the Raleigh. I thought I would ask for any feedback on the 26in wheel size. I figure with the 27in UNIVEGA, I could easily switch to 700c for more tire size options.
And another tire question: Will the 26 x 1 3/8 (ETRTO 590mm) work with ETRTO 584? Seems like CONTI offers lots in the 584mm, but nothing in the 590mm ETRTO.
They DO list a 37-584mm as "26 x 1 3/8 x 1 1/2". Which makes me wonder if the other 584mm will work.

Any feedback is appreciated.

PS: Some additional info from Sheldon Brown that got me more confused: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/597.html - he mentions ETRTO 597mm -- not even on the CONTI tire site!!
-- and http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/590.html

clubman 06-23-18 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by mrv (Post 20408545)
howdy - thinking about one these two CL bikes.
Raleigh with 26in x 1 3/8 wheels https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...609831568.html
Univega with 27in https://toledo.craigslist.org/bik/6622603468.html

I'm a bit more keen on the Raleigh. I thought I would ask for any feedback on the 26in wheel size. I figure with the 27in UNIVEGA, I could easily switch to 700c for more tire size options.
And another tire question: Will the 26 x 1 3/8 (ETRTO 590mm) work with ETRTO 584? Seems like CONTI offers lots in the 584mm, but nothing in the 590mm ETRTO.
They DO list a 37-584mm as "26 x 1 3/8 x 1 1/2". Which makes me wonder if the other 584mm will work.

Any feedback is appreciated.

PS: Some additional info from Sheldon Brown that got me more confused: Schwinn 26 x 1 3/8" / English 26 x 1 1/4 EA.1 Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery (ISO/E.T.R.T.O. 597 mm) - he mentions ETRTO 597mm -- not even on the CONTI tire site!!
-- and 26 x 1 3/8 inch (590 mm) Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery

Nope. 590/597/584 are all different and not interchangeable. There are some tires with the 597 bead that carry the 26 x 1 3/8" markings just to mess you up. They are usually marked EA1 which indicates the larger 597. These are also the Schwinn S-6 size.

Conti does make a City Ride tire in the 590 mm. I have a pair.

mrv 06-23-18 11:57 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20408618)
Nope. 590/597/584 are all different and not interchangeable. There are some tires with the 597 bead that carry the 26 x 1 3/8" markings just to mess you up. They are usually marked EA1 which indicates the larger 597. These are also the Schwinn S-6 size.

Conti does make a City Ride tire in the 590 mm. I have a pair.

- you confirmed what I was thinking. Looking at the Conti page, they didn't show it. But they are not showing everything, of course. Also good info! https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...trekking-tires

desconhecido 06-23-18 12:15 PM


Originally Posted by mrv (Post 20408545)
howdy - thinking about one these two CL bikes.
Raleigh with 26in x 1 3/8 wheels https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...609831568.html
Univega with 27in https://toledo.craigslist.org/bik/6622603468.html

I'm a bit more keen on the Raleigh. I thought I would ask for any feedback on the 26in wheel size. I figure with the 27in UNIVEGA, I could easily switch to 700c for more tire size options.
And another tire question: Will the 26 x 1 3/8 (ETRTO 590mm) work with ETRTO 584? Seems like CONTI offers lots in the 584mm, but nothing in the 590mm ETRTO.
They DO list a 37-584mm as "26 x 1 3/8 x 1 1/2". Which makes me wonder if the other 584mm will work.

Any feedback is appreciated.

PS: Some additional info from Sheldon Brown that got me more confused: Schwinn 26 x 1 3/8" / English 26 x 1 1/4 EA.1 Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery (ISO/E.T.R.T.O. 597 mm) - he mentions ETRTO 597mm -- not even on the CONTI tire site!!
-- and 26 x 1 3/8 inch (590 mm) Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery

The tire of choice for the 26 1 3/8 (590mm) seems to be the Panaracer Col De La Vie. There are other options including Kenda, Schwalbe, Michelin. Kenda, et al, are pretty inexpensive and people report that they are decent servicable tires. The Schwalbes are a bit hard to find in the size, are difficult to mount, but last a long time and have excellent flat resistance. The Panaracers are pretty cushy and a bit fatter, i think, than the typical 650A tire.

As for which bike, in all honesty, the Univega is probably a better bike and even though 27" tires are sort of obsolete, you have better choices than with the 650A 590 mm. It looks like a Shimano three speed rather than SA. I don't know if that's good or bad. Neither of these bikes has a saddle that I'd like to spend a lot of time on, but the Raleigh, Jeez, I don't think I could ride one of those saddles for more than a couple miles. I surely wouldn't do it more than once. With the Univega, you'd be able to budget in a decent, to your liking, saddle.

All that being said, I'd probably buy the Raleigh. Rex Tillerson probably has a term for people like me.

edit: I just looked at the Modern Bike site and they have a selection of 590, 650A tires including the Contis and the Schwalbes. The Schwalbes I have used are the Marathon Plus, not the Delta Cruiser. Don't know anything about the Delta Cruiser tires as far as ride or durability, but they're inexpensive compared to the Marathon Plus.

Johno59 06-23-18 04:19 PM

597 mm diameter rims are often referred to as British Lightweight Sprint 26 x 1 1\4 inch rims - go figure. A 26 x 1 3\8 (590mm) won't fit - obviously it's 7 mm too narrow in diameter. The 597mm was usually narrower wall to wall and lighter. As such a favourite track configuration. They are nice wheels and usually have thinner spokes and lightweight hubs. 27 inch are 630 mm in diameter and were the size of choice for road racing bikes up until the 1970s. Tires are available for all of these sizes for less than 20/30 bucks. Go on the net and scope down on the metric dimension as it is precisely what it says on the tin and void of Imperial eccentricities .

Just when you thought it couldn't be more confusing - just this very day I was doing the final touch on a Holdsworth Avanti that was equipped with a full Campag Record goupo. I mounted the rear wheel to discover the rear triangle was made to take a 28 inch wheel. WTF!!!!. A extremely lightweight Reynolds tubed racing bike with 28 x 1 x 1 1\2 inch rim??!!! (635mm needless to say)

I have no faith that 635mm road tires have ever existed - but there you go.

The nightmare continues.

BigChief 06-23-18 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20409039)
Hey...
​​​​​​I test ride this 26 inch Raleigh. But it feels very small...i m 5'8". Feels wierd with hand next to knees.
Is it normal these English bike to feel small. Like my knees where close to the stem. But it rode very good though. Very upright. Turns good. Very manuvereable. Didn't buy it. SA3 hub was a little loose. Should I go back. Price reasonable.​​​​​​ Not sure where it's made...Taiwan maybe?

​​​​​​
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f7fd4fdeed.jpg

That looks to be a rather small frame. The English light roadsters come in 19 1/2", 21"and 23" for the stepthroughs and 21" and 23" for the gents. Maybe you should try a taller frame and see what you think of it.

thumpism 06-23-18 07:05 PM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20409101)
does the bigger size have longer ETT, REACH?

I believe both my M23" and L23" Sportses have 23 1/4" top tube lengths. I can also measure my L19" if you need it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.