Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SRAM Rival 1 rear derailer replacement: NX? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1269633)

bvhara 03-31-23 08:54 PM

SRAM Rival 1 rear derailer replacement: NX?

As a follow on to my post about a replacement hanger, I need a new rear derailer as well.
The stock derailer on my 2017 Kona Rove ST is the Rival 1.
When I wrecked it in a stack a couple of years ago, I replaced it with the Rival 1 3.0.
However, as they're quite expensive, I'm wondering whether there would be any issue replacing it this time with an NX?

Joe Remi 03-31-23 09:29 PM

Different pull ratio. NX is an mtb group using X Actuation, Rival is road and uses Exact Actuation (SRAM's original 1:1). The step down from Rival is Apex, it'll work fine if you can find one with the same length cage. I don't know what cages that series offers.

tFUnK 04-02-23 12:22 PM

As mentioned, you can use a MTB RD if it's Exact Actuation. I use older X9 and GX but make sure it's the Exact Actuation version. You just need to match the cage length/capacity.

bvhara 04-02-23 07:00 PM

Thanks Joe and tFunk. I'll have to look into X and Exact Actuation as I know nothing about them and their differences. Until now, I thought Rival 1 was a mountain bike- or at least a gravel bike group. I can't imagine it being much use for roadies as it spins out too quickly in top, say at ~30kmh. Unless it's meant for 2-11 rather than the 1x11 set up on my Kona. I switched to Apex shifter when I swapped my drops for flats a while back. I'll check out the Apex cages. I guess it would need to be a long to cope with my 10-42 (mountain bike?) cassette.

bvhara 04-02-23 09:14 PM

Ps, tFUnk, I can't find any exact NX RDs, all the one's I found for sale are X-Horison. eg Velogear , Amazon, Bikebug, etc Even the Apex is X- actuation so I guess I'll just suck up the extra cost and buy the Rival 1 3.0, which works really nicely. Appreciate the help.

tFUnK 04-03-23 11:09 PM

I think the X-Horizon refers to something else; Exact Actuation and X-Actuation refer to the pull ratios. The Apex RD will work (expand the specifications tab and you'll see the pull ratio is Exact Actuation).

bvhara 04-08-23 03:53 PM

Thanks tFUnK, I bought the Rival 1 RD this time but will try the Apex next time, which I hope won't be for some time. I'm sure it will pair nicely with my apex shifter.

One more question about drivetrain, Even in lowest gear, I struggle with a couple of hills on my regual ride with stock set up, ie 40t chainring and 11-42 cassette. Would there be any issues going down to this 38t x-sync? Is two teeth enough to make a difference? TIA

tFUnK 04-09-23 12:00 PM

Shouldn't be an issue going from 40t to 38t up front. You may not even need to shorten the existing chain.

You may not gain much for the climbs, though; I ride 2x with a 34/40 climbing gear on my gravel bike. That gets me up most of the steeper stuff. Over the years I've gone from a 28t, 32t, and 36t large cog in the back, to the 40t I have now. I can probably get away with just having a 34/36 climbing gear but the 34/40 removes all (most) doubt.