Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Waving (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202583)

tagaproject6 05-26-20 07:52 AM

I yell

Jim from Boston 05-26-20 08:03 AM

waving

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21496404)
I think BF should require a grace period between waving threads. This last one isn't even dead yet. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rogance-6.html Maybe they can be merged?

Originally Posted by Ghazmh (Post 21496703)
I wave, I like waving. I notice the frequency I get waved at initially is dependent upon my bike and attire....

I only don’t wave if circumstances dictate I need to keep my hands on the bar and my mind focused on safe navigation.

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 21497077)
The most you'll ever get from me is a nod.

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 21497636)
I yell.

So to this recurrent popcorn subject, I have previously posted my unwavering opinion:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19153770)
"Wave rate"

. ..Personally, I do wave, except where there are loads of cyclists, such as my early morning commute in downtown Boston. I’m not put off by a lack of response either.

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21392973)
If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.

I do have a seemingly unique greeting besides, or in addition to a wave. I yell a hearty “YO.”It’s an easy syllable to shout, and IMO expresses a crusty comeraderie, yet does not expect a reply. Maybe you could try that.

A couple years ago on the Wall Street Journal morning news program on the radio was a feature segment about runners and cyclists greeting each other. The most significant reason to do so, as I recall was that both participants in such an encounter face the same dangers on the roads and MUPs.

livedarklions 05-26-20 08:38 AM

I try not to wave at other cyclists when there's drivers and pedestrians around because that will tip the non-bicyclists off to our secret plot for world domination.

SethAZ 05-26-20 10:07 AM

I saw a kid riding a Big Wheel this morning. He had a Stages power meter installed, and must have been putting out at least 25W or so. Is that kid riding at an elite level?

I waved at him just in case. Kid just ignored me. Jerk.

Iride01 05-26-20 10:59 AM

I always try to make a sign to acknowledge their presence. Not usually a wave, but a slight lift of my hand or just lift of my fingers from the hood or bars on the passing side. Sometimes just a nod of the head or something else just so they know I see them and many do something similar that lets me know they see me.

However if it's a time of many other things getting dicey, then I'll skip the pleasantries in favor of maintaining full control of my situation.

I find that many here do acknowledge, whether walker, jogger, runner, or cyclists. Sometimes others don't acknowledge, but I think that is because they are more worried about their safety and think that responding opens up a way for a possible attacker to pounce on them. They usually go by with eyes and heads turned the other way, which seems the wrong thing to do if they truly are worried about being attacked.

p.s. Jim, you are really overdoing the nested quotes thing. Just make a response and be done with it. I actually have no idea where you stand on anything because of your over use of them so I just don't read your posts.

guadzilla 05-26-20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21496404)
I think BF should require a grace period between waving threads. This last one isn't even dead yet. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1201682-some-cyclists-arrogance-6.html:foo: Maybe they can be merged?

Dude that was a thread complaining about not waving. This is a thread about being proud of not waving.

Two ENTIRELY different things.

SethAZ 05-26-20 01:21 PM

SPOILER ALERT: this thread was posted with obvious sarcasm, as sort of an homage to the other waving threads. Perhaps the OP was too subtle for his own good.

canklecat 05-26-20 07:49 PM

I holler "How YOU doin'?" Like Joey Tribbiani, with a little smirk and wink. IOW, like a d0uch3canoe.

Well, maybe more like "How you DOIN'?" Slightly less ... canoe-ey.

No, seriously, I do. Can't help it. I was raised in New York. It just pops out like a zit before prom. I'm lucky I have any female friends left. But they all know it's just a reflex, not flirting.

PoorInRichfield 05-27-20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dougphoto (Post 21496245)
I've always been a big waver, I wave to all bikers, doesn't matter if you are pulling a trailer of kids or if you are looking like a hardcore roadie I wave. However, recently I've seen two different bikers riding cities bikes with flat bars, and AERO clip on bars attached, to me that's a step to far. I can't wave at such a person.

LOL! I spotted a fat-tire bike hanging on a car's bike rack at work and it had aero clip-on bars. I don't get it... aero on a fat bike? To each his/her own I guess.

himespau 05-27-20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21496535)
I don't wave at people who take Strava segments without power meters.

Nor do I wave at folks zooming past me on zwift using zpower and no hr meter.

Metallifan33 05-27-20 10:36 AM

Are there any nodders here?

Jim from Boston 05-27-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Metallifan33 (Post 21500038)

Earlier on this thread:

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 21497077)
The most you'll ever get from me is a nod.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19153770)
. . .Personally, I do wave, except where there are loads of cyclists, such as my early morning commute in downtown Boston. I’m not put off by a lack of response either.

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21392973)
If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.

taco2ewsday 05-27-20 01:29 PM

As someone who used to ride motorcycles where darn near everyone waves, I was shocked to find that the same gesture wasn't as common with cyclist, in general it looks like the more expensive the bike the less likely to wave. It bugged me a bit at first but now I just wave and keep going.

Seattle Forrest 05-27-20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SethAZ (Post 21497916)
I saw a kid riding a Big Wheel this morning. He had a Stages power meter installed, and must have been putting out at least 25W or so. Is that kid riding at an elite level?

I waved at him just in case. Kid just ignored me. Jerk.

I hope you crushed his soul.

taco2ewsday 05-27-20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield (Post 21499961)
LOL! I spotted a fat-tire bike hanging on a car's bike rack at work and it had aero clip-on bars. I don't get it... aero on a fat bike? To each his/her own I guess.

It's a new craze BBQ biking low and slow baby...

Seattle Forrest 05-27-20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 21499981)
Nor do I wave at folks zooming past me on zwift using zpower and no hr meter.

The people using Zwift out on the real roads are a danger to us all. :twitchy:

himespau 05-27-20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by taco2ewsday (Post 21500415)
As someone who used to ride motorcycles where darn near everyone waves, I was shocked to find that the same gesture wasn't as common with cyclist, in general it looks like the more expensive the bike the less likely to wave. It bugged me a bit at first but now I just wave and keep going.

It depends on the type of ride it is not the bike I'm riding. If I'm redlining and just trying to keep the bike upright as I've burned all my matches, I probably don't even notice you. If I'm just riding along and we make eye contact (which, based on where I am on the spectrum, I find extremely uncomfortable) and I see you wave first, I'll probably wave back. Unless you're a woman. In that case, I don't want to initiate contact with you because you might find that creepy. I'm a big, burly guy who has had many women speed up when I'm walking behind them at night. Which gets annoying because I have long strides and tend to walk quickly. I usually have to slow way down so they don't think I'm trying to catch them when I'm just walking my normal pace. I've learned from that and try not to scare women and as such don't initiate contact unless completely necessary. Even if you're a man, because I hate making eye contact, I probably didn't see you wave and my social anxiety means I don't wave first unless I know you.

canklecat 05-27-20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Metallifan33 (Post 21500038)

Yup. That accompanies "How YOU doin'."

guadzilla 05-28-20 12:32 AM

So on today's ride - brutal headwinds (at one point, I was doing 200W to hold 21kph / 13mph). It was mostly an easy ride so i am tooling along in low Z2 at speeds that were embarrassing, given the headwinds. Look ahead, and there is a roadie who is going even slower (I think he was wearing tennis shoes).

Feeling the judgemental gaze of all of Bikeforums on me emanating from the 5G towers, I was debating on what to do. Given that this would have been an awkwardly long pass - enough for us to actually exchange sentences - I was trying to figure out a way to manage this in a manner that would unite everyone here in the 41 at my poised and adroit handling of the situation.

Suddenly, the effer looked back and saw me. We made eye contact. Reflexively, i lifted a hand up and waved - and also added a "hey". As i passed him, he looked expectantly at me, as if he was going to say something or was waiting for me to say something. Too much, too soon, hombre. I didnt make any further eye contact, repressed a sudden urge to hit him with my frame pump (mainly because I dont have a frame pump) and kept going.

I feel as though i have fallen from my perch atop Olympus.

FujiQG7 05-30-20 12:22 PM

I wave. If they wave back cool, if not oh well I'm enjoying my ride.

fietsbob 05-30-20 12:35 PM

wave or particle ?

javaruke 06-01-20 11:20 PM

I wave at all cyclists, as well as cars (yes I live in a rural area). Naive illusion that positive karma will keep me safe.

RPK79 06-02-20 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bladehack (Post 21496668)
I do the Subie wave, I assume they are enlightened and drive an STI or WRX

I drive an WRX. I've noticed a lot of other WRX drivers do wave.

woodcraft 06-02-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 21506030)
wave or particle ?

Wear a mask!

hrdknox1 06-02-20 10:37 AM

I wave to cyclists, runners, and walkers because I am having a great time. Most of the people I see routinely wave back at me, but there are a few who don't so I've stopped waving to them.