Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's with the stereotyping and hate? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1240560)

restlessswind 10-14-21 05:04 PM

What's with the stereotyping and hate?

Why are people so ignorant and perceive what one does differently as a bad thing or is a bad person? Be it cyclist vs pedestrian or driver, or upright vs recumbent, or beach cruiser vs roadie, moutain biker ve gravel biker, boater vs jet-skier, skier vs snowboarder, e-bike vs regular pedal bike, etc..

Seems to happen in every aspect of hobbies and cultures. Jerks are jerks, and because one has a different kind of bike makes him/her a snob or lesser valued person? .Makes me want to live in solitude.

I've recently purchased a recumbent bike due to some medical issues, and while looking for resources, I find hate. Lots of hate. "bent riders are snobs, lazy, cheating, stupid, dumb.....

Chinghis 10-14-21 05:26 PM

A lot of it is a weak sense of self, a lack of identity. I'm a ((insert style)-biker, and do it right, all those other folks are just doing it wrong. So I have to put them down to build myself up, because if I don't do it like them, my sense of self gets degraded. And for people who do it like everyone else, they look at folks like me who don't, and say, what's wrong with you? It's all about threats to your identity.

Maybe not the most cogent thought I've ever had, but I'll re-visit it.

TiHabanero 10-14-21 05:35 PM

Who cares? Just go ride and leave it all behind.

CrimsonEclipse 10-14-21 05:41 PM

Elitists.

Every group of people have them.
You can ignore them passively.
I haven't found an ignore function on this forum yet
(honestly haven't looked)

Moe Zhoost 10-14-21 05:41 PM

Maybe it's just you, perceiving something that isn't really there. I have a recumbent trike and the only thing I get when riding it is smiles.

restlessswind 10-14-21 06:00 PM

I like all types of bikes. I have a stable of all different breeds.
Hybrid
Hardtail MTB
Beach cruiser
e-bike (commuter)
crank-forward hybrid
recumbent (LWB)

I sell some, I buy some and I do it all over again. One morning while commuting to work, I got a gesture form some punk old man that told me that human power is the only way to ride. Well, I have my reasons, and when I have to pedal home at 5:00 in the afternoon when it's over 100° and 20 miles to go. It's a better alternative to driving my car or riding that way home all human powered. And being stereotyped as a snob for riding a recumbent? It's not the status, it's the damn inflamed prostate that intrigued me into that one. Thing is I love to ride, and I will find a way to keep it going when my body says no to certain bikes.

seypat 10-14-21 06:08 PM

It's true that all diamond frame riders look down upon bent and trike riders. That comes with the territory.

jaxgtr 10-14-21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 22270367)
It's true that all diamond frame riders look down upon bent and trike riders. That comes with the territory.

:popcorn

ofajen 10-14-21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chinghis (Post 22270327)
A lot of it is a weak sense of self, a lack of identity. I'm a ((insert style)-biker, and do it right, all those other folks are just doing it wrong. So I have to put them down to build myself up, because if I don't do it like them, my sense of self gets degraded. And for people who do it like everyone else, they look at folks like me who don't, and say, what's wrong with you? It's all about threats to your identity.

Maybe not the most cogent thought I've ever had, but I'll re-visit it.

It’s a common human thing to want to be “right” about something and make others “wrong”. It provides a satisfaction that can almost be like a drug for many.

It can be so strong that people sometimes sacrifice love, happiness and/or relationships to remain “right” about something. But giving up on being “right” can be quite a liberation if you can manage it.

Otto

Koyote 10-14-21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by restlessswind (Post 22270292)
I've recently purchased a recumbent bike due to some medical issues, and while looking for resources, I find hate. Lots of hate. "bent riders are snobs, lazy, cheating, stupid, dumb.....

Provide links or I won't believe you.

Actually, I'm already pretty sure that I don't believe you, but I am willing to look at evidence.

downtube42 10-14-21 07:27 PM

Tribalism. Stranger danger. It's a human thing. A survival tactic.

Rolla 10-14-21 07:29 PM

It all pretty much boils down to insecurity.

Maelochs 10-14-21 08:03 PM

Why are people so ignorant ....... maybe they are just tired of people like you stereotyping and insulting them ...... :D

Bald Paul 10-14-21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22270339)
You can ignore them passively.
I haven't found an ignore function on this forum yet
(honestly haven't looked)

Oh, it's there. Mine gets bigger and bigger.

spelger 10-14-21 08:32 PM

how ironic that the OP mentions stereotyping.

badger1 10-14-21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22270501)
Oh, it's there. Mine gets bigger and bigger.

Hey! Family forum, mister.

cxwrench 10-14-21 08:44 PM

Human nature. Nothing more, nothing less. It's why there will never be world peach. It's not possible.

veganbikes 10-14-21 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22270530)
Human nature. Nothing more, nothing less. It's why there will never be world peach. It's not possible.

We can have world peach, Georgia certainly has some great peaches but with today's modern agriculture and global shipping we can have peaches everywhere. They started in China and have gone pretty global anyway.

You could also dry and can the peaches or make jams, jellies and other sauces to ship around the globe.

Now world plums...I don't know :lol:

guachi 10-14-21 09:18 PM

I'm guessing this is a literal take on the fact that "diamond frame riders" are higher up and therefore can only "look down" and that the other commenters don't get the wry joke you're making. Or you're not making a joke and I'm just seeing one where none exists.

jon c. 10-14-21 09:22 PM

I laughed.

Troul 10-14-21 09:38 PM

sandbaggers are always holding things back.

seypat 10-14-21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by guachi (Post 22270565)
I'm guessing this is a literal take on the fact that "diamond frame riders" are higher up and therefore can only "look down" and that the other commenters don't get the wry joke you're making. Or you're not making a joke and I'm just seeing one where none exists.

Winner winner, chicken dinner! :roflmao2:

ColonelSanders 10-14-21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by restlessswind (Post 22270292)
Why are people so ignorant and perceive what one does differently as a bad thing or is a bad person? Be it cyclist vs pedestrian or driver, or upright vs recumbent, or beach cruiser vs roadie, moutain biker ve gravel biker, boater vs jet-skier, skier vs snowboarder, e-bike vs regular pedal bike, etc..

Seems to happen in every aspect of hobbies and cultures. Jerks are jerks, and because one has a different kind of bike makes him/her a snob or lesser valued person? .Makes me want to live in solitude.

The poster @rydabent has grown beyond the forum's control, we could not stop him.

unterhausen 10-14-21 11:32 PM

The only thing wrong with recumbent riders is they are at the same level as my rear hub, which is quite loud. So I have to listen to the hub and the 'bent riders whining about the hub.

So far none of them have been willing to contribute to my Onyx hub purchase fund.

Pantah 10-14-21 11:33 PM

There certainly are going to be snobs in all groups of everything, cyclists, both uprights and recumbents, included. However, it has been my experience in my many years of of off and on riding of recumbents that people generally just think they're weird and cool.
If you're looking for a recumbent focused forum, give bentrideronline a try. I'm an occasional poster over there and found most folks to be quite pleasant. A Covid project acquisition was my older Greenspeed in desperate need of everything. I did a full thread detailing the whole mechanical restoration process and everyone thought it was great.