Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Phil Waterproof Grease (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253779)

Symox 06-20-22 12:21 AM

Phil Waterproof Grease

Got some recently and wanted to share it's great stuff. I’ve tried a few oils, greases and home brew concoctions for my hubs and pedals but this is the best in terms of viscosity, lubricious and ability to stay where needed.

yeah it’s pricey but I can vouch it is worth it

smd4 06-20-22 07:02 AM

Yes, Phil grease is top-notch stuff. A tube will last you a long time.

rccardr 06-20-22 07:09 AM

Personal fave!

HillRider 06-20-22 08:09 AM

Oh boy, bring popcorn! :popcorn "Which grease?" tends to produce long, and often heated, threads.

Yes, Phil is my favorite too and I've been using it for over 30 years. I keep the cost per ounce reasonable by buying it in 600gm tubs that last for years and using a refillable Dualco grease gun as an applicator. It does work and I have hubs with over 80,000 miles as evidence.

squirtdad 06-20-22 09:45 AM

My go to grease for years, and I think I just finished by first tube, bought a second and was given a third...so I am good for grease for 20 or 30 years

davidad 06-20-22 01:05 PM

Overpriced bike grease. Automotive grease if good for our low-speed low load use.

smd4 06-20-22 01:16 PM

I think the Phil is great stuff, and still have a bit left in my tube.

I've recently shifted over to the Shimano/Dura Ace Special Grease, after opening up my 1984 Dura Ace pedals, and finding the nearly 40-year-old stuff in them was still as good as new.

squirtdad 06-20-22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by davidad (Post 22548248)
Overpriced bike grease. Automotive grease if good for our low-speed low load use.

one tube of phil's at 13 bucks that will last a normal home user 10 years plus is not over priced IMHO. Handy to use in the tube also

the nastiest bikes i have ever rehabbed had lithium auto grease which hardened up up, and had clearly quit lubricating a long time ago and then was a total pain to clean

ymmv

smd4 06-20-22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 22548332)
the nastiest bikes i have ever rehabbed had lithium auto grease which hardened up up, and had clearly quit lubricating a long time ago and then was a total pain to clean

Same.

prj71 06-20-22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22547832)
Oh boy, bring popcorn! :popcorn "Which grease?" tends to produce long, and often heated, threads.

Not sure why. It's just marine grease, but only more expensive because it's labeled as "bicycle" grease.

Aladin 06-20-22 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22547832)

Yes, Phil is my favorite too and I've been using it for over 30 years. I keep the cost per ounce reasonable by buying it in 600gm tubs that last for years and using a refillable Dualco grease gun as an applicator. It does work and I have hubs with over 80,000 miles as evidence.

WHEWWWWW,,,,, 80K. So glad I aint downwind.........obvious ANYONE w $$ hubs inspects/cleans wwaaayyy more often. Hence obvious ODOR.

Phil's is good... lots of others sans that label do/are same.

Maybe the Phil's is better for making the corn.......:bike:

HillRider 06-20-22 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aladin (Post 22548363)
WHEWWWWW,,,,, 80K. So glad I aint downwind.........obvious ANYONE w $$ hubs inspects/cleans wwaaayyy more often. Hence obvious ODOR.

Cute but wildly inaccurate. I never said these hubs were unmaintained for that long. They have been overhauled, cleaned and relubed (with Phils) every 7000-8000 miles.

Aladin 06-20-22 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22548460)
Cute but wildly inaccurate. I never said these hubs were unmaintained for that long. They have been overhauled, cleaned and relubed (with Phils) every 7000-8000 miles.

Agreed.

But that 80K needs slicing ....hence I stand my satire.

Symox 06-20-22 08:22 PM

went on a ride I do regularly. I can honestly say the bike coasts faster downhill with the Phil Wood grease. Plus it has a nice buzzy hub sound :)

dedhed 06-20-22 09:27 PM

I use the tub of marine grease I have for my trailer

zacster 06-20-22 10:59 PM

I bought a tube when I first moved to Seattle and still use it. That was in 1979! It just feels like it'll never run out and since I'm 67 now and temporarily unable to ride it should just last a liftetime.

HelpSingularity 06-20-22 11:41 PM

And now with disposable cartridge BBs I use even less Phil grease on a per annum basis. I have a tube that is probably 30 years old that gets lost and found periodically that is still perfectly serviceable. And since you squeeze it out of the tube the grease stays perfectly clean. Great product.

ChrisWagner 06-21-22 04:53 AM

I need metrics. Is there a Technical Data Sheet available for Phil Waterproof Grease?

mtbikerjohn 06-21-22 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisWagner (Post 22548914)
I need metrics. Is there a Technical Data Sheet available for Phil Waterproof Grease?

Here you go..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...GREASE.pdf?335

Aladin 06-21-22 08:19 AM

Have a GREAT idea....:hug:

GROUP buy... 'I LOVE PHIL'S GREASE!' t shirts.

Organize it and tell me where to send the coins. :beer:

Could number them.. bid on those. #1.. send to Phil.

ChrisWagner 06-21-22 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn (Post 22549072)

The Safety Data Sheet you linked may be found on the Phil Waterproof Grease web page but not what I was looking for. A Technical Data Sheet is what I'm interested in locating.

Reference: Understanding Technical Data Sheets for Grease.

mtbikerjohn 06-21-22 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisWagner (Post 22549121)
The Safety Data Sheet you linked may be found on the Phil Waterproof Grease web page but not what I was looking for. A Technical Data Sheet is what I'm interested in locating.

Reference: Understanding Technical Data Sheets for Grease.

Thanks for that link. I suppose you might try contacting Phil Wood for it, or it might be something found on BobtheOilGuy website..they tend to get pretty technical over oils and lubes.

Chinghis 06-21-22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22547760)
Yes, Phil grease is top-notch stuff. A tube will last you a long time.

Great stuff. I have a a tube that's probably 25 years old ... And i recently lost the cap. I was sort of traumatized, but slapped some Saran wrap on it and a rubber band.

icemilkcoffee 06-21-22 11:06 AM

On a slight tangent, I always find myself needing just a little dab of grease here and there. It's annoying to have to use my finger- because now my finger is dirty and I have to stop and wipe my finger before I continue working on the bike. Is Phil's grease light enough to use in a hand pump oil can? the kind that looks like this:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d3f4193b6e.jpg
Anyone has any other solution for applying little dabs of grease without dirtying your hand?

smd4 06-21-22 11:23 AM

Phil's is like the consistency of toothpaste. Maybe why it comes in a tube? But I digress.

I think that can is for oil. I'd probably use something like this:

Mini Grease Gun