Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Sensah or Ltwoo? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1291593)

elston1999 04-07-24 10:03 AM

Sensah or Ltwoo?

I want to put on some new 2x7 shifters on an older road bike. I like the clean cockpit look with the cables under the bar tape like newer bikes. Does Sensah or Ltwoo have the cables under the bar tape? If so, which one is better? Cheers!

mstateglfr 04-07-24 05:51 PM

Both route the shift cable under bar tape.
Based on reviews, neither are impressive. One has a known rattle issuethat has supposedly been fixed a few times yet hasn't, and the other has countless complaints about insides breaking.

I have used Sensah before- brief ride- the hood was fine and shifting feel was not nearly as nice as lower end Claris, but it worked.

jaxgtr 04-07-24 08:37 PM

Trace Velo on You Tube has done some long term testing on LWtoo and recently posted a new video on it, he worked through several issues on early versions that seem to have been corrected.

bampilot06 04-08-24 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23208249)
Trace Velo on You Tube has done some long term testing on LWtoo and recently posted a new video on it, he worked through several issues on early versions that seem to have been corrected.

Worth a watch.

How much cheaper is this?

ridelikeaturtle 04-08-24 07:42 AM

For the price, I'm certainly going to take a gamble on an L-TWOO groupset, if I can't find an inexpensive second-hand Shimano or Campy (which are getting harder to find, the prices for these have gone through the roof!). I'm not particularly hard on components, so I'd be confident I could keep it running well with a good setup and regular maintenance.

jaxgtr 04-08-24 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 23208420)
How much cheaper is this?

I want to say it was $600 to $800 for the kit.

jonathanf2 04-08-24 11:32 AM

Sensah for mechanical. They sell Shimano compatible shifters both in mechanical and hydraulic. Just stick with Shimano derailleurs and the shifters work great. Also pay the slight premium for the carbon levers, the haptics and brake lever just feel smoother overall. Ltwoo mechanical shift levers suck. They're Campagnolo style with the thumb trigger. I tried it and hate it because I can't wrap my entire hand around the hoods. On the plus side, LTwoo mechanical levers do use the Shimano pull ratio.

LTwoo for electronic. No clunky thumb triggers. Easy to install and you can use any crankset, cassette (10/11/12 speed) and the hydraulic calipers are easy to align/service with generous pad spacing for disc alignment. This groupset is a game changer. For $350 USD I'm running a full 12 speed hydraulic disc electronic groupset. I believe all the kinks have been ironed out, though I'd highly recommend you use some sort non-permanent adhesive (I used rubber cement to keep the cable in place) and dielectric grease around the derailleur battery ports just in case of water ingress. Though I don't ride in the rain, I still did preventative measures. Also I picked up some high quality rechargeable batteries and you can even charge via powerbank with the USB charging cable.

Yan 04-08-24 11:52 AM

Being able to set an electronic groupset to run with any 10, 11, 12 speed cassette really is a game changer. Too bad they don't make rim brake levers, they would make a killing from people upgrading old bikes.

jonathanf2 04-08-24 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yan (Post 23208744)
Being able to set an electronic groupset to run with any 10, 11, 12 speed cassette really is a game changer. Too bad they don't make rim brake levers, they would make a killing from people upgrading old bikes.

Then wait for the Wheeltop EDS TX. Same flexibility as LTwoo's groupset, but it's fully wireless, better weather proofing and it's available in rim brake. SRAM's patent on wireless derailleur communication is expiring this month. Wheeltop should be able to sell direct to the US, unless SRAM finds a way to block them. Though they use a fixed battery on the derailleur as opposed to removable. SRAM's patent on the removable battery is still in-effect apparently.

https://wheeltop.com/products/eds-bicycle-derailleur

RB1-luvr 04-08-24 12:30 PM

I have Shimano Tourney 3x7 shifters on my drop bar converted 80s mtb. I've been using them for about 5 years. They are great. I think there is a 2x7 version.

Yan 04-08-24 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jonathanf2 (Post 23208773)
Then wait for the Wheeltop EDS TX. Same flexibility as LTwoo's groupset, but it's fully wireless, better weather proofing and it's available in rim brake. SRAM's patent on wireless derailleur communication is expiring this month. Wheeltop should be able to sell direct to the US, unless SRAM finds a way to block them. Though they use a fixed battery on the derailleur as opposed to removable. SRAM's patent on the removable battery is still in-effect apparently.

https://wheeltop.com/products/eds-bicycle-derailleur

Thanks for sharing. Once these have a good number of post-release reviews, I'll likely pick up a set for one of my older bikes. I can take delivery in Europe so US availability is not an issue for me.

jaxgtr 04-09-24 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yan (Post 23209326)
Thanks for sharing. Once these have a good number of post-release reviews, I'll likely pick up a set for one of my older bikes. I can take delivery in Europe so US availability is not an issue for me.

Came across this, thought you might be interested

mstateglfr 04-09-24 07:42 PM

That wheeltop electronic setup is neat, but it's $800usd for shifters, brakes, FD, and RD.

$1040 gets a full Shimano 12sp di2 group- shifters, brakes, FD, RD, crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-271682.html

Being fully wireless is great for converting an older frame to wireless, but that cost isn't really a selling point to me when for only $240 more you get a Shimano 12sp groupset with crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
I would figure the savings would be better.

jaxgtr 04-09-24 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 23210268)
That wheeltop electronic setup is neat, but it's $800usd for shifters, brakes, FD, and RD.

$1040 gets a full Shimano 12sp di2 group- shifters, brakes, FD, RD, crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-271682.html

Being fully wireless is great for converting an older frame to wireless, but that cost isn't really a selling point to me when for only $240 more you get a Shimano 12sp groupset with crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
I would figure the savings would be better.

The issue with the Shimano di2 is that your frame needs to be able to handle wires to the RD, unless you want to run it external, however most older frames are not drilled for it in the chain stay, for example my 2016 Emonda ALR, but using something that is wireless, then it is not a concern.

mstateglfr 04-09-24 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23210304)
The issue with the Shimano di2 is that your frame needs to be able to handle wires to the RD, unless you want to run it external, however most older frames are not drilled for it in the chain stay, for example my 2016 Emonda ALR, but using something that is wireless, then it is not a concern.

Agreed- I acknowledged this in the post you quoted.

jaxgtr 04-09-24 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 23210306)
Agreed- I acknowledged this in the post you quoted.

Yea you did, my apologies.