Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This should not be *this* hard (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253609)

spelger 06-16-22 02:55 PM

This should not be *this* hard

There are about 2 or 3 places that i can think of where i ride and it suddenly gets real hard. all involve climbing. one particular place is a little 1-2% grade that lasts for about a 150' about 6 miles into my morning commute. before that little climb i already climbed a bunch. another spot is maybe 2-3% for about a 1/4 mile where i have already done 5-6% climbs for way way longer. these little climbs just seem to get me and i don't really know why. i find it comical, have anything like that on your rides?

base2 06-16-22 02:59 PM

Hills make you stronger. Headwinds just make you mad.

WhyFi 06-16-22 03:19 PM

Off the top of my head, I can think of two little... I hesitate to call them "climbs," so we'll call them inclines... that look like they should be barely above the threshold of noticing, yet they're always more tiring than they should be, by all appearances. Kind of like false flats, but it's more like false gentle inclines.

indyfabz 06-16-22 03:23 PM

I just got back from touring Vermont for a week, including some mileage on dirt. ‘Nuff said.

mcours2006 06-16-22 03:25 PM

My commute home has three small climbs, like 5-6% and probably around 1/4 mile or less. All depends on how tired I am at the end of the day. Sometimes when feeling strong I'll attack it. Others when I've had a hard day at work it's like, ugh! Just get into the lowest gear, put my head down and spin it up.:/

Bearhawker 06-16-22 03:28 PM

I hate hills that start with inclines where I already lose any momentum I had before the actual climb starts. Even worse when there is a headwind (approaching 100% of the time) to make the incline speed drop more pronounced.

My area has lots of these. Incline - steep hill - slightly less steep top of the hill. Then you get to pedal down the other side of the hill because the headwind gets worse over the crest.

You'd think I hate cycling... but for some reason I keep doing it.

lol

genejockey 06-16-22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22544099)
There are about 2 or 3 places that i can think of where i ride and it suddenly gets real hard. all involve climbing. one particular place is a little 1-2% grade that lasts for about a 150' about 6 miles into my morning commute. before that little climb i already climbed a bunch. another spot is maybe 2-3% for about a 1/4 mile where i have already done 5-6% climbs for way way longer. these little climbs just seem to get me and i don't really know why. i find it comical, have anything like that on your rides?

For me, it's more that one day I'll be ripping up this 2% gradient at 18 mph, and the next, feeling like I'm working just as hard, going 15.

Trakhak 06-16-22 03:45 PM

The annoyance of trying to keep riding at some arbitrarily chosen speed up hills and into the wind: that's why I stopped using a bike computer with a speed readout and started using only a pulsemeter. Maintaining a target pulse range keeps me from worrying about how fast I think I should be going.

70sSanO 06-16-22 06:11 PM

The only thing I can relate to, is when I have a left shifter issue. More specifically a left hand/right brain problem where I don’t want to shift to a smaller chainring for a short section.

Sometimes it just doesn’t seem worth the effort to get to the best gearing only to go right back again.

John

koala logs 06-16-22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22544099)

If it passes through a rich community, there may be elite reptilians or illuminaties draining your life force as you go that route.

How I cope with such routes that strangely, doesn't make sense? Slow down a bit but also hunch down in an aero position while you move forward on the saddle a little bit as well.

SalsaShark 06-16-22 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 22544103)
Hills make you stronger. Headwinds just make you mad.

I have cursed aloud at some stiff headwinds in my days! 🚴‍♂️🌬

zandoval 06-16-22 07:14 PM

Yep... It is quite humbling when ya know you should be able to get over that hill easy peasy...

I spend more time in my 34T bail out gear then I would like to admit...

Or over in Galveston Texas where you start your ride with the wind in your face, then when ya turn around to ride back,

Its in your face again... Rats!!!

CAT7RDR 06-17-22 06:06 AM

False flats like long 1-2% sections that suck the life out of my legs do it for me.
I do not monitor rise, so after I map the ride and see I was actually climbing it all makes perfect sense.
On the bike, I query whether I have a slow flat.

DonkeyShow 06-17-22 06:38 AM

Every road from my house has annoying hills within half a mile on the way back. Made me a stronger rider tho and I don't hate them nearly as much now. Goals of biking up sugarloaf mtn this year.

Reflector Guy 06-17-22 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22544627)
False flats like long 1-2% sections that suck the life out of my legs do it for me.
I do not monitor rise, so after I map the ride and see I was actually climbing it all makes perfect sense.

I ride on one of those on one of my regular loops. It's probably 50% the climb, and 50% mental block. Always a relief when I get past it.

Since it's a loop, I should try riding it in the opposite direction. But there's a much steeper climb going the other way!

BobbyG 06-17-22 06:50 AM

My commute home was uphill over 9 miles. I don't know the grades, but two of the routes took me along old railroad lines and they were very subtle rises...practically unnoticeable. So when I would then encounter an additional slight increase in rise, it was really more than it seemed.

andrewclaus 06-17-22 07:00 AM

Some years ago I lived in Prescott AZ in a hillside community, at the top of the steepest paved road in the city, a 300' climb at a 15% grade. Some cycling neighbors called it "Effing Hill," some saw it as a training opportunity. There were lots of climbs in the area, in the Bradshaw Mts, but most were the typical Western grades not exceeding 6%.

I liked the view there, but will never live at the top of such a hill ever again.

livedarklions 06-17-22 07:36 AM

I think how I perceive the difficulty of a hill is very dependent on what I've been doing leading up to that hill. That 1-2% ascent might seem a lot bigger if I've been pushing myself harder while approaching it than I was leading to the 5-6% ascent. If I know the 5-6% ascent is coming, I've probably paced myself accordingly.

And wind, Some stretches always seem to be in a headwind.

hayden52 06-17-22 08:10 AM

There used to be a route near me called the Three Sisters, consisting of three short, but steep hills. The third one, about 1/4 as long and 1/4 as steep as the other 2, was always the hardest.....

imakecircles 06-17-22 10:46 AM

My personal adage on this subject is that to climb well, first I must climb poorly. Well for me is feeling on top of the gear and my breath, then looking down and noticing I'm in a gear a cog or two higher.

pennpaul 06-17-22 01:49 PM

I nixxed a house on our search because all the roads leading up to it required some pretty steep climbs. I told my wife I couldn't imagine going out for a ride and then having to finish by climbing up to the house.

wolfchild 06-17-22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22544337)
If it passes through a rich community, there may be elite reptilians or illuminaties draining your life force as you go that route.

WTF is that even supposed to mean ???.

Ghazmh 06-17-22 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22544120)
I just got back from touring Vermont for a week, including some mileage on dirt. ‘Nuff said.

I’ll be at the Vermont Gran Fondo next week.

indyfabz 06-17-22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ghazmh (Post 22545465)
I’ll be at the Vermont Gran Fondo next week.

What’s the route?

indyfabz 06-17-22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22545312)
WTF is that even supposed to mean ???.

I got it.